[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 6.21.18

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Jun 21 13:28:44 EDT 2018

From Carolina Beguiristain (BFA ADA 18). “I have landed a gig as a production assistant on an animated feature film with a company called Marza Animation Planet (A division of SEGA Animation). My responsibilities will include scheduling artists and organizing their work, taking notes, and being present at story meetings and design meetings. (Which is great since my big dream is to be a story artist.)   And my friend Nicole Pacheco (BFA 18)  has also landed a position at Marza!”

From Meg Scott Cain (MFA15). “I'm incredibly excited about my new work with Ratio Christi ("Reason for Christ," in Latin). It's a global college campus Christian apologetics ministry. We have campuses all over the world, including South Africa, Pakistan, and our study center at Oxford, UK. I've been brought on as the Video Projects Producer and I'll be writing, producing, and directing content for training missionaries, educating students, and independent series for the public--the first of which is tentatively titled "The Logic Project," which will tackle college level Aristotelian logic and break it down for a wider audience. Our focus is on creating content and campus environments that are a safe space and open forum on the scientific, historical, and philosophical reasons for our faith as well as other worldviews, so that students can ask about and discuss the deeper questions in life and form their own systematic reasoning and explanation as to why they believe what they do. I'm currently raising financial support to fund projects and to become a full time missionary on the national staff team.

From Diandra Pendleton-Thompson (MFA-Writing 15): Wonderful news to share! After the writers' room for Stranger Things season 3 wrapped, I went back on the prowl for a job. I'm pleased to share that I've been hired as Writer Assistant to Akiva Goldsman (A Beautiful Mind, Cinderella Man, Fringe, Star Trek: Discovery). I'm supporting Akiva for all his television projects at CBS and learning so much already. I'm very grateful to be around these remarkable writers and stories in an intimate way.

From Michael Head (MFA Writing 17 ). “ My pilot "Egalité" was a Finalist in the Toronto International Screenplay Competition. I'm very excited for this as it is a big one for me and Robert C. Eaton in our effort to bring to FSU Mafia to Toronto. They have shared my script with a handful of producers and it is also now listed on InkTip.”

Go to https://www.emergingscreenwriters.com for the details on the Emerging Screenwriter contest; deadline June 28.

From Courtney Harmstone (BFA 12). “Hi FSU Alums and Friends!!! I wanted to write a little appeal to you all to garner support for my upcoming feature film as a Producer,Indigo Valley.  We officially launched our Kickstarter (we are shooting in August this year!!!) yesterday and have had a great response so far, but we still have another 29 days to go! I have been working on this project for the last three years with Jaclyn, through development and casting. Last year, we completed a short film, with which we have had excellent success across festivals and international film markets! To support the project, starring Jaclyn Bethany, Rosie Day and Brandon Sklenar, please go to indigovalleyfeaturefilm.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__indigovalleyfeaturefilm.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=gmTCFwN1C4MChBD41U5I_Z7ffKlyn9yQMn3kf2qWy8o&s=fqw82JwFwBbxeudcTBEjpG_RWyj1T7ZK4002-O8OLbQ&e=>.  Every donation helps, and you won't just be supporting an indie film, but also your fellow alum and a group of super ambitious female filmmakers!!!  n For some more background on the project, you can read about it in our press releases here:
Variety<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__variety.com_2017_film_news_afm-2Dicelandic-2Dwilderness-2Dstory-2Dindigo-2Dvalley-2D1202604475_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=gmTCFwN1C4MChBD41U5I_Z7ffKlyn9yQMn3kf2qWy8o&s=Pv-klFH_rH6PHezgk3dqjAA90mwO4o8B1pDsBsrPnzk&e=>
Berlinale European Film Market Announcement<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.filmfestivals.com_blog_berlin_indigo-5Fvalley-5Fberlinale-5Fefm-5F2018-5Finvitation&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=gmTCFwN1C4MChBD41U5I_Z7ffKlyn9yQMn3kf2qWy8o&s=_W0fwmEAitt_jITGEQYaXgcCxY-DAG1_iAnTlRNEnyU&e=>
Evening Standard - Blink and You'll Miss Them In Bermondsey<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.standard.co.uk_news_londoners-2Ddiary_londoners-2Ddiary-2Dwedding-2Dfever-2Dit-2Ds-2Djust-2Danother-2Ddress-2Dand-2Dhat-2Da3702721.html&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=gmTCFwN1C4MChBD41U5I_Z7ffKlyn9yQMn3kf2qWy8o&s=tnnGwlTmy58ceYQQ2WsSFRXbozKkgMazE6VgWCjsb6U&e=>
Here is the link to the trailer for the short on vimeo: https://vimeo.com/239332430<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__vimeo.com_239332430&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=gmTCFwN1C4MChBD41U5I_Z7ffKlyn9yQMn3kf2qWy8o&s=WV7VljPn7XpnDmmFfNYmazqZhgZ4KGFzVvJ9k1yJs-U&e=>
Thank you very much for taking the time to read my email and for considering donating!”

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – June 21, 2018

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) was selected for screening at the BlackStar Film Festival in Philadelphia, August 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.blackstarfest.org.

Thank You for the Music (MFA Thesis 2015 Spencer Frankeberger) was selected for screening at the inaugural Music in Cinema Film Festival in Atlanta on June 30. For more information about this festival, go to www.micfilmfestival.com.

Habit (BFA F3 2018 Cristy Trabada) was selected for screening at the I’m Not Gonna Move to L.A. Film Festival in Miami on July 25. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmgate.miami/nola.

Baphomet High (MFA D2 2017 Rebecca Raymond) and The Infamous Guy Christman (MFA D2 2017 Anthony DeNiro) were selected for screening at the Dragon Con Independent Short Film Festival in Atlanta, August 30 – September 3. For more information about this festival, go to http://filmfest.dragoncon.org<http://filmfest.dragoncon.org/>.

Mama I Wanna March (MTH 2017 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the Macon Film Festival, August 16-19. For more information about this festival, go towww.maconfilmfestival.com<http://www.maconfilmfestival.com/>.

Ms. Omniscience (MFA D2 2017 Xiao Ma) and Basics (BFA Thesis 2017 Spencer Smyth) were selected for screening at the Burbank International Film Festival, September 5-9. For more information about this festival, go to www.burbankfilmfestival.org.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen at the Southside Film Festival in Philadelphia, June 12-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.ssff.org<http://www.ssff.org/>.

Mama I Wanna March (MFA Thesis 2017 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the San Francisco Black Film Festival, June 14-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.sfbff.org.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) and Ms. Omniscience (MFA D2 2017 Xiao Ma) are semi-finalists at the International New York Film Festival in New York City, June 15-16. For more information about this festival go to www.inyfilmfest.com.

Everyone Loves a Panda (MFA D2 2017 Brandon Shenk) was selected for screening at the Terminus Film Festival in Atlanta, June 15-16. For more information about this festival, go to http://terminusevent.com.

Meat (BFA F3 2017 Vishesh Pires) and Baphomet High (MFA D2 2017 Rebecca Raymond) are official selections at the End of Days Film Festival in Orlando on June 23. For more information about this festival, go to http://endofdaysfilmfestival.com/

Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart) is on the shortlist for the BAFTA Student Film Awards. Finalists will be feted at a ceremony in Los Angeles on June 29. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.bafta.org/los-angeles/events-initiatives/supporting-talent/student-film-awards.

The Art of Foley (MFA D2 2017 Sara Karimipour) was selected for screening at the Atlanta Shortsfest, July 6-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.atlantashortsfest.com.

The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) was selected for screening at Outfest in Los Angeles, July 12-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.outfest.org<http://www.outfest.org/>.

Twins (MFA Thesis 2017 Yi Tao), Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott), If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) and Connect (BFA Thesis 2017 Gabe Souza) were selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 19-22. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.comic-con.org.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) and Basics (BFA Thesis 2017 Spencer Smyth) were selected for screening at the Gen Con Indy Film Festival in Indianapolis, August 2-5. For more information about this festival, go towww.gencon.com<http://www.gencon.com/>.

Underground Tantrum (BFA Documentary 2017 Cristy Trabada) and The Funk Doctor (MFA D2 2017 Demetrius Martin) were selected for screening at the Hip Hop Film Festival in New York City, August 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to https://hiphopfilmfestival.org/.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) was selected for screening at the Taiwanese American Film Festival in Los Angeles, August 3-4. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.taff.la<https://www.taff.la/>.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen and is a finalist at Les Femmes Underground Film Festival in Los Angeles on August 19. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.lesfemmesinternational.org/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Toronto Indie Horror Fest, August 29 – September 1. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.toindiehorrorfest.com/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen at the All Lights India International Film Festival in Hyderabad, India, December 1-4. For more information about this festival, go to http://aliiff.com<http://aliiff.com/>.