[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 6.14.18

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Jun 14 13:29:39 EDT 2018

Rotten Tomatoes has issued its “Best (and Worst) Horror Movies of 2018 with The Endless (directed by Aaron Moorhead (BFA 08) and Justin Benson) as #1!!!! And Are We Not Cats (directed by Xander Robin (BFA. 11)) as the #5 Best   Check out the list at:  https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/guide/best-horror-movies-2018-tomatometer/

“Presidents, partners and CEO's from around Atlanta were among the 20 new members appointed to The Carter Center's Board of Councilors.  The Board of Councilors is a leadership advisory group that promotes understanding of not-for-profit organization and its activities among opinion leaders and the broader community. The new councilors bring total membership to 216. Among the new appointees is Frank Patterson, president, Pinewood Atlanta Studios.”   Great honor, Frank!
This weekend is  the Florida Animation Festival at the historic Capital City Amtrak Station, June 14-17, 2018.    The Florida Animation Festival is a multi-day film festival launched in 2016 by The Tallahassee Film Society in partnership with Wells Fargo and The Pod Advertising to showcase amazing animated films and spotlight both regional and global animation talent.  Our festival includes feature programming, free children’s shows, selections from the 19th Annual Animation Show of Shows, the 2018 Oscar-nominated short animated films, short animated film submissions, and more! The FAF is hosted in a historic Amtrak Station in the All Saints District of downtown Tallahassee; a unique, storied location from 1858 that speaks to the FAF’s identity as the only festival of its kind in North Florida.   There is a programming session on Saturday at 6:00 pm called: Seminole Animation: A collection of shorts by the FSU Animation and Digital Arts program (PG, PG-13, R). This is our 2017 F3 and Thesis animation films.  Go to the web site for more information:https://www.floridaanimationfestival.com/.  There is  a PSA/Commercial that plays when you go the website - that was produced by The Pod but filmed completely by recent BFA grads (directed by Terry Beck).

JD Taylor (BFA  93) is 1st AD on “ a movie called Emperor set in mid 1800s. Man on the run picture. Basically The Fugitive meets Birth of a Nation.” Which is  shooting in Savannah, GA.
Read the Telegraph article about how to write the penultimate film in a series, which includes an interview with TS Nowlin (BFA 03).  https://www.telegraphindia.com/entertainment/how-does-one-write-the-penultimate-film-in-a-series-the-writers-of-four-235827

From Diana Dai (BFA 18). “I'm working at the Challenger Learning Center for the summer, teaching children between ages 9 and 15 about live-action and animation storytelling, as well as other topics such as space and electricity. It's an awesome environment and I'm so happy to be using what I've learned to teach others!”

From Jeffrey Lerner (MFA94). “If you haven't seen or talked to a good friend recently, make sure you TAG them! I had great fun working with the cast and crew of TAG last summer in Atlanta shooting the EPK and behind the scenes content for the film for Warner Bros. and New Line Cinema. Thanks go out to our Unit Publicist Liz Driscoll, my Atlanta Crew (Tracy, Michael, Rob, Brian, and Stephen) and my good friend and producer, Scott Devine (MFA 93), for all of your help and southern hospitality! TAG opens nationwide this Friday, June 15. It's a really fun film that is based on a real group of guys. Don't be IT! Go see TAG this weekend!”

From Shane Houghton (BFA 07). “The show I co-created with my brother has a premiere date! Starting June 18th, Big City Greens will be airing on Disney Channel all summer long. We were also picked up for a season two before the first season airs! We're going to have shorts and a video game all roll out at the same time as the show. Plus, on season one, we were lucky enough to work with some amazing guest stars like Jon Hamm, Raven Symone, and Busta Rhymes! https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/disney-channel-renews-animated-series-big-city-greens-premiere-1112765<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.hollywoodreporter.com_live-2Dfeed_disney-2Dchannel-2Drenews-2Danimated-2Dseries-2Dbig-2Dcity-2Dgreens-2Dpremiere-2D1112765&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=uFlCT0Rdgti0PkuvcmRgGyBiCN2XumKpK96YszWdVBs&s=Cc9n3zRmKVwhxjNt3B67MuLfVV_0p4b8FpqliPIVJtE&e=>   Plus, Disney released the first half-hour on YouTube as a sneak peek! You can watch it right now!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhPzVV3JU3s&t=965s<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3DEhPzVV3JU3s-26t-3D965s&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=uFlCT0Rdgti0PkuvcmRgGyBiCN2XumKpK96YszWdVBs&s=jqY_EOegwOsiQM8widg1D9He-mIhm9M0G9CFhitnpLc&e=>

From Jim Ed Wills (MFA 11). “I keep thinking I need to move to advance my career but major opportunities keep showing up in Richmond, VA that I just can’t say no to. Currently I’m working on Wonder Woman 2 in Alexandria, Va as a full time Rigging Electric through our Local 487 Union.”

From Darren Hoffman (BFA 05 ) and Entrepreneur in Residence at the Film School:  “In a previous life... I made a movie... its called Tradition is a Temple<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_TraditionIsATemple_-3Ffref-3Dmentions&d=DwMCaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=cd19NIv4O6jJ7DAV4X6uPV1B0pVTm9G1ss3NezATxXs&s=mcnnv_lAy2SZMSvRRH6Ald8HMg59I__dGfWnCSDouh8&e=>... And this summer it's screening in the Swiss Alps on August 23rd. Shannon Powell<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_powells.place-3Ffref-3Dmentions&d=DwMCaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=cd19NIv4O6jJ7DAV4X6uPV1B0pVTm9G1ss3NezATxXs&s=fjC0j6FSvfZxeVzsb_yn0C4NQsgYEPko3QSGux0IR4s&e=> and I will be there to present the film and discuss the process of making it. Hope you can make it to Auvernier Jazz Festival<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_AuvernierJazzFestival_-3Ffref-3Dmentions&d=DwMCaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=cd19NIv4O6jJ7DAV4X6uPV1B0pVTm9G1ss3NezATxXs&s=F1qOf9bcWDLgcJ8m2a1LS0-8G56Ttin_O11W9INdblA&e=> to join us.”

From Ryan “Sparky” Lynch (MFA 02) – “I am very  happy to announce I just started non consecutive prep on Jordan Peele’s new movie. I am collaborating again with longtime friend,  Cinematographer Mike Gioulakis. It’s another great step forward in our vast filmmaking partnership. I signed a severe Universal Pictures NDA but can say it’s mostly shooting in Los Angeles. It will be great to sleep in my own bed for a bit longer and work with  some of my favorite LA crew members.”

My name is Trent. I am former Marine who served in the first Gulf War. On January 5th, 1991, I was a member of a heavily armed ground rescue force of 51 Marines and 9 Navy Seals from Seal Team 8, that was inserted into the besieged U.S. Embassy Mogadishu Somalia. The mission codenamed Operation Eastern Exit  resulted in the rescue of 281 men, women, and children from over 30 countries.  I am seeking students or alumni, that have experience in film editing, production, and animation that could help me bring an amazing story to the world of an incredible untold rescue mission which will include actual footage from the Embassy and interviews with the U.S. Ambassador, diplomats, and members of the ground rescue force. This is not a paid position, but please consider supporting. If interested please contact me by email.   trentlaland at mail.com<mailto:trentlaland at mail.com>
www.touchvisionfilms.com<http://www.touchvisionfilms.com>  https://youtu.be/-ePnzefrZ9U<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__youtu.be_-2DePnzefrZ9U&d=DwMBaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=As4RbHCgXtESnL8BhPcU2Q&m=syWHDuQbq6LnuPX7KHD9NNWs9lCGLayEvQJ1Lv23rFs&s=p13ZjrUi-iWF3PHYrYjAqXB6Lg_xg4k7xgbSOfEjyDY&e=>

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – June 14, 2018

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen at the All Lights India International Film Festival in Hyderabad, India, December 1-4. For more information about this festival, go to http://aliiff.com<http://aliiff.com/>.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen and is a finalist at Les Femmes Underground Film Festival in Los Angeles on August 19. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.lesfemmesinternational.org/.

Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller) is an Official Selection at the Cosmic Film Festival in Orlando, Florida, June 15-17, and is also a Finalist. For more information about this festival, go to www.cosmicfilmfest.com<http://www.cosmicfilmfest.com/>.

Can’t Without You (MFA D2 2017 Yingli Cheng) was awarded a Silver Remi Award at Worldfest-Houston International Film & Video Festival, April 20-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.worldfest.org<http://www.worldfest.org/>.

The Art of Foley (MFA D2 2017 Sara Karimipour) was selected for screening at the Atlanta Shortsfest, July 6-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.atlantashortsfest.com.

The Infamous Guy Christman (MFA D2 2017 Anthony DeNiro) was selected for screening at the Dragon Con Independent Short Film Festival in Atlanta, August 30 – September 3. For more information about this festival, go to http://filmfest.dragoncon.org<http://filmfest.dragoncon.org/>.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen at the Southside Film Festival in Philadelphia, June 12-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.ssff.org<http://www.ssff.org/>.

Mama I Wanna March (MFA Thesis 2017 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the San Francisco Black Film Festival, June 14-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.sfbff.org.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) and Ms. Omniscience (MFA D2 2017 Xiao Ma) are semi-finalists at the International New York Film Festival in New York City, June 15-16. For more information about this festival go to www.inyfilmfest.com.

Everyone Loves a Panda (MFA D2 2017 Brandon Shenk) was selected for screening at the Terminus Film Festival in Atlanta, June 15-16. For more information about this festival, go to http://terminusevent.com.

Meat (BFA F3 2017 Vishesh Pires) and Baphomet High (MFA D2 2017 Rebecca Raymond) are official selections at the End of Days Film Festival in Orlando on June 23. For more information about this festival, go to http://endofdaysfilmfestival.com/

Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart) is on the shortlist for the BAFTA Student Film Awards. Finalists will be feted at a ceremony in Los Angeles on June 29. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.bafta.org/los-angeles/events-initiatives/supporting-talent/student-film-awards.

The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) was selected for screening at Outfest in Los Angeles, July 12-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.outfest.org<http://www.outfest.org/>.

Twins (MFA Thesis 2017 Yi Tao), Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott), If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) and Connect (BFA Thesis 2017 Gabe Souza) were selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 19-22. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.comic-con.org.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) and Basics (BFA Thesis 2017 Spencer Smyth) were selected for screening at the Gen Con Indy Film Festival in Indianapolis, August 2-5. For more information about this festival, go towww.gencon.com<http://www.gencon.com/>.

Underground Tantrum (BFA Documentary 2017 Cristy Trabada) and The Funk Doctor (MFA D2 2017 Demetrius Martin) were selected for screening at the Hip Hop Film Festival in New York City, August 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to https://hiphopfilmfestival.org/.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) was selected for screening at the Taiwanese American Film Festival in Los Angeles, August 3-4. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.taff.la<https://www.taff.la/>.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Toronto Indie Horror Fest, August 29 – September 1. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.toindiehorrorfest.com/.