[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 6.7.18

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Jun 7 13:58:27 EDT 2018

Amazon Greenlights Barry Jenkins (BFA 03)  & Plan B’s ‘Underground Railroad’ Limited Series With Jenkins Directing All 11 Episodes     https://deadline.com/2018/06/amazon-barry-jenkins-plan-b-the-underground-railroad-limited-series-jenkins-directing-all-11-episodes-1202404221/

From Matt Ryan (MFA 11).  A new show I shot, “Ghost Story Club” airs Late Night  Snack (TruTV.) The show is a parody throwback to 90s shows like “Are you Afraid of the Dark” and “Goosebumps.” Had fellow Noles Andrew Fairbank (MFA 12)   as camera operator and Kyle Bart Reid (MFA 11) as rigging gaffer. This is a fun one I suggest checking out.”

From Will Sampson (BFA 09) “Last night the video I shot for Kane Brown's "What If's" won the CMT award for best collaborative music video of the year. Huge congrats to Kane and Lauren, they could not have been nicer and more fun to work with. Also huge congrats to Steve Lamar<https://www.facebook.com/steve.lamar.9?fref=mentions> who produced and was in attendance last night. And congrats to director P.r. Brown<https://www.facebook.com/prbrownbauda?fref=mentions> and Erica Chan<https://www.facebook.com/ericayingchan?fref=mentions> (MFA 15) my AC and only other crew member on that video. It is only right that last night as it won P.r., Erica, and I were shooting another music video in L.A.

From Kristian Kamp (MFA 98). “I'm finishing TROLL-THE TALE OF A TAIL (85 min CGI feature film animation) this summer (Montreal/Norway) as writer, producer, director (with Sagatoon in Norway) and co-directing with Kevin Munroe (LA).  World premiere in theaters will be 25th of December 2018 in Norway. Other countries will follow. We've pre-sold theatrical release rights to over 40 countries so far.  Come to Hamar, Norway for Christmas on red carpet!”

From Anthony Cabrera (BFA ADA 15). “After a long, and much needed vacation after the wrap of Avengers: Infinity War, I am back and reprising my role as Head Of Coordination on the next installment of the Avengers series here at ILM. With that being said, this time around, I will be focusing more on bidding, scheduling, overseeing the front half of the pipeline, along with assisting in building a more streamlined stereo pipeline and overall global production leadership support. Flipping my cap around for a bit to the artist side, I am excited to say I will also get to do a small bit of animation work on this film. On the last Avengers movie, they gave me the opportunity to do some clean up animation work, and this time around they are giving me the opportunity to do some animation vignettes.

In other equally exciting news, I will be heading to the Dominican Republic in July to meet with their film commission. A few months ago, I did an interview with Univision about Young Hispanics Americans in the film industry. After the interview, I was connected with a few of the producers at the network and other studios, and we spoke about my thesis, my Dominican heritage, Hispanic filmmakers, and discussed what is the future of Hispanic films and television. They are very eager to really push more Latin American content out in the world, and discover more Hispanic filmmakers. I hope I can somehow assist them in the process.

Lastly, as some may know, fitness has taken a huge role in my life these last couple years. I am currently a group fitness instructor at a few corporate gyms here in San Francisco, as well as promote Barry's Bootcamp. But now I am taking it a step further. I will be completing my Personal Training Exam in June, and auditioning this Fall to be a part-time Barry's Bootcamp instructor. It is a great community and company to be a apart of, and I could not think of a better way I would love to help people.”

From Brett Allen Smith (BFA 09). “So honored to share this news: my short film HAVE YOU SEEN MY WIFE? (shot on 16mm by Benjamin Verhulst<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_benjamin.verhulst-3Ffref-3Dmentions&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=4aCO1C0pkG7W6uf9BBk7HN_6NC4N8ss_l1SjuQKLkkM&s=iOiu6yZO4Je11fbkPaJj1WsEgOjYGpi-G3izdo70jqc&e=> (BFA 09) , of course) was just named a winner in Lomography<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_Lomography_-3Ffref-3Dmentions&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=4aCO1C0pkG7W6uf9BBk7HN_6NC4N8ss_l1SjuQKLkkM&s=kJaRQNt5MzPSoRotnAmoKSTruvs5EAnb2X5JKzwQyB4&e=>'s annual Ten and One Awards! Check out all the other winners for some good, old-fashioned analogue vibes”

From Katherine Oostman (MFA 17). “Katherine Oostman will be teaching an online Intro to Directing course for Asbury University's Media Communication program this fall.   Also we just wrapped shooting a feature film produced by Asbury University in Wilmore, KY! The film was a part of one of their classes to give students production experience. Katherine Oostman worked as a story consultant and co-director, Nikki Lee (MFA 17) acted as 1st AD and producing mentor, Layne Inselman (MFA 17) worked as Gaffer and G&E mentor, and Carolina Garrigo (MFA 17) will be editing the film.”

From Michael Head (MFA Writing 17). “. My dramatic pilot script "Egalité" (about an immigrant Haitian family in 1814 New Orleans) was a Semi-Finalist in the Black Screenplays Matter contest, and is currently a Finalist in the Barnstorm Fest contest. I'm super excited it is gaining some steam as I have a big run of competitions and festivals coming up later this summer, so fingers crossed!”    PS:  Well I didn’t end up winning the Barnstorm but as a finalist I still get a skype meeting with one of their producer.

From Brent Lagerman (BFA 97). “I wanted to tell you about my latest project.  It's a drink startup called Keepers. We had a lot of success with our citrus coffee and now we're raising money for Keepers Black, you can learn more about it on Kickstarter<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.kickstarter.com_projects_225509395_launching-2Dkeepers-2Dblack-2Dthe-2Doriginal-2Dsparkling-2Dcof-3Fref-3D500272-26token-3Daabfe6a8&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=MxElHzOSLH0Lb3gROeOLQ7btYApI3bW5AxStWLR_WnM&s=VToksN_OmIhgDI_AOl-fEMRwmVwD0fBvoiTd2g2fXB4&e=> where I put some of my fading filmmaking skills to the test with our pitch video. My friend Thi and I started making Keepers for fun using a soda-stream at the branding agency my wife and I run.  Since our friends claimed to like it, we brought some to a few local restaurants, and to our surprise, they all wanted to buy it.  Luckily there was a food incubator program opening in Brooklyn around the same time who accepted us and the rest is history. Sparkling coffee sounds odd I know, but it's delicious, I hope we can get some down to Tallahassee! and to FSU alums around the country!”

From Raymond Knudsen (BFA 2). “My BFA documentary from 2017, Full Circle, aired on South Florida PBS this past week as part of their Film-maker program, which brings exposure to over fifty South Florida stories.  I wanted to share the interview I had with them from last September:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-CMXKhQTI4&t=5s<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3D5-2DCMXKhQTI4-26t-3D5s&d=DwMGaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=xW5X3K8nMPPUQ19ihIPpkacgaHJ8zaW3xmsQctt9b78&s=gaeg2Ni4ubiZ-XtLLQxs0207zTyilFV6kRz5GWumMvU&e=>

From Carl Rogers (MFA 16). “My feature screenplay Starlight has just been updated as a Semifinalist in the 2018 ScreenCraft Sci-Fi Screenplay Contest! This script, based on my 2015 D2 "Wish Star," is in the top 10% of over 800 submissions. Thanks again to all the alums who gave me notes!  https://screencraft.org/2018/06/01/2018-screencraft-sci-fi-screenplay-contest-semifinalists-announced/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__screencraft.org_2018_06_01_2018-2Dscreencraft-2Dsci-2Dfi-2Dscreenplay-2Dcontest-2Dsemifinalists-2Dannounced_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=za7k_lUHXnW-EvDKP4dSLuHpq1E5JYMqjBjlfrg1Nmo&s=nkoubWJRx2Bj3n1zfILRekExBfpZmzkly5lN-iGTOo0&e=>”

The Wrap just sent this link for people in the industry to rank film schools. It would be great if our alums weighed in, especially those teaching.https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FTYTL6R<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.surveymonkey.com_r_FTYTL6R&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=EMMlpJUUrFusnlfBgl7qomE1ayfCEkKnQ2TYUMoTfCY&m=olxS01lUWJ0pBt_qGnqLIP_mOgEUuqDPF7W7w94k1JM&s=V_nqIU4l9AGVsxn21bJ0pUHRIyMUQH5oRJc-8qq7YnY&e=>

From Shandton Williams (MFA Writing 17). “ As I look back at the last eight month I realized that I’ve made some pretty cool moves career wise that I wanted to share with you guys. After working at Circle of Confusion and Madhouse Entertainment as an intern, I was promoted to Office Assistant at Circle of Confusion. Then, after working for four months as a floater, I have officially been promoted to Literary and Talent assistant to Julian Rosenberg and Zach Cox on Friday, May 25that Circle of Confusion.”

From Reid Lauff (BFA ADA 18). “The film is titled “Something Else” and it is an indie feature film that’s being co-directed by Jeremy Gardner and Christian Stella. It’s a monster movie that’s being shot in Leesburg FL (right outside of Orlando). Terry Beck and Erik Kallin (both BFA ADA 18) are Swing Grips. Rob Bevis (BFA 18) and I (both  are on camera team with Christian, switching between 1st AC and 2nd AC. Everyone got the chance to meet Aaron Moorhead (BFA 08)  (one of the producers) and got a lot of cool insight on what the indie horror scene is all about. The shoot will take place over the course of 4 straight weeks and everyone is having a really great time so far! They put the whole crew in a hotel so it feels like a vacation :)

From Nastasia Humphries (BFA 14). “I just wanted to share with you this information - if anyone is interested in camera department in Atlanta - this is an extremely valuable opportunity to apply for (from experience, it's pretty difficult to get your foot in the door in camera department here). I've worked with a couple of these Sarah Jones scholars on union sets and they have been very successful in finding work. This internship offers paid training at a local rental house, followed by work on a union TV set, and an invitation to join Local 600 upon completion. The deadline is soon - perhaps it can go into this week's Warren Report?  Below is the application with instructions on how to apply: http://files.constantcontact.com/e8a8c5c7001/6e8f3d0d-6935-4fcf-8464-c4fc17d6abc1.pdf

From Catherine Rehwinkle (BFA. ). “Need an editor in  Brooklyn who wants to do a day or two of basic video editing work in Premiere? For patient ethnography videos  the week of June 20.   Contact me at catherinerehwinkel at gmail.com<mailto:catherinerehwinkel at gmail.com>

MACRO<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__blcklst.us10.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3De7a95a686b83356c8ebfe0e0b-26id-3D7261feb5be-26e-3D0ebea35a40&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=LJQw-Cr_mYPBcK6Xl8KyI2cQK3ZTqOZbUvOZxEBIHEg&m=zEbB_ysawGsqLoI82zf2GYiI4Lr1WfUnEpA9bzOTv-4&s=9Y7eVnSMw95vKftttwKtj5WFVuElhTS_lRLu8jbEf04&e=> and The Black List<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__blcklst.us10.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3De7a95a686b83356c8ebfe0e0b-26id-3Dcbb547f212-26e-3D0ebea35a40&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=LJQw-Cr_mYPBcK6Xl8KyI2cQK3ZTqOZbUvOZxEBIHEg&m=zEbB_ysawGsqLoI82zf2GYiI4Lr1WfUnEpA9bzOTv-4&s=aonWjlC4OVMgUWrvIxO5JyELmHhR9oLinNrk4CycyKk&e=>, in partnership with Emmy-Award winning writer/producer/actor Lena Waithe<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__blcklst.us10.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3De7a95a686b83356c8ebfe0e0b-26id-3Da63b265d75-26e-3D0ebea35a40&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=LJQw-Cr_mYPBcK6Xl8KyI2cQK3ZTqOZbUvOZxEBIHEg&m=zEbB_ysawGsqLoI82zf2GYiI4Lr1WfUnEpA9bzOTv-4&s=WKwNxKDEeZTuUNhpw00MmW-AuwVefRir0Br4V2t8WeY&e=> and actress/producer/director Eva Longoria<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__blcklst.us10.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3De7a95a686b83356c8ebfe0e0b-26id-3D4a04678c72-26e-3D0ebea35a40&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=LJQw-Cr_mYPBcK6Xl8KyI2cQK3ZTqOZbUvOZxEBIHEg&m=zEbB_ysawGsqLoI82zf2GYiI4Lr1WfUnEpA9bzOTv-4&s=My8baDG5PjGQVZDKSRKZqgHKWNX8JGjRFTUxgqAtCXg&e=>, are excited to announce a new opportunity for writers of color to develop and produce an original digital or television pilot script.  "The MACRO Episodic Lab Powered by The Black List has been created to discover episodic storytellers of color, empower them with creative tools and resources to help launch their careers, and provide industry support to writers from a wide range of backgrounds who typically do not have access to the traditional Hollywood system."  And applications are now open via MACRO'S site!<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__blcklst.us10.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3De7a95a686b83356c8ebfe0e0b-26id-3De45752420a-26e-3D0ebea35a40&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=LJQw-Cr_mYPBcK6Xl8KyI2cQK3ZTqOZbUvOZxEBIHEg&m=zEbB_ysawGsqLoI82zf2GYiI4Lr1WfUnEpA9bzOTv-4&s=UjXIT-GnlykP5Lmrx0ugodwih0lrZ0rBlfLsO_JNiBI&e=> Submissions will be accepted via MACRO from today, June 6, 2018, until August 6, 2018.

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – June 7, 2018

Twins (MFA Thesis 2017 Yi Tao), Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott), If (BFA F3 2017Gabriel Valbuena) and Connect (BFA Thesis 2017 Gabe Souza) were selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 19-22. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.comic-con.org.

Underground Tantrum (BFA Documentary 2017 Cristy Trabada) and The Funk Doctor (MFA D2 2017 Demetrius Martin) were selected for screening at the Hip Hop Film Festival in New York City, August 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to https://hiphopfilmfestival.org/.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) was selected for screening at the Taiwanese American Film Festival in Los Angeles, August 3-4. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.taff.la<https://www.taff.la/>.

The Stranger (MFA Thesis 2017 Katherine Oostman) won a Bronze Telly Award in the Non-Broadcast category, and for the craft of Directing. For more information about this competition, go to www.tellyawards.com.

Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller), Morning Light Seems the Brightest (BFA F3 2016 Melina Valdez) and Underground Tantrum (BFA Documentary 2017 Christy Trabada) were selected for screening at the Vero Beach Wine + Film Festival, June 7-10. For more information about this festival, go to http://vbwff.com/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen at the Southside Film Festival in Philadelphia, June 12-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.ssff.org<http://www.ssff.org/>.

Mama I Wanna March (MFA Thesis 2017 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the San Francisco Black Film Festival, June 14-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.sfbff.org.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) and Ms. Omniscience (MFA D2 2017 Xiao Ma) are semi-finalists at the International New York Film Festival in New York City, June 15-16. For more information about this festival go to www.inyfilmfest.com.

Everyone Loves a Panda (MFA D2 2017 Brandon Shenk) was selected for screening at the Terminus Film Festival in Atlanta, June 15-16. For more information about this festival, go to http://terminusevent.com.

Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller) is an Official Selection at the Cosmic Film Festival in Orlando, Florida, June 15-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.cosmicfilmfest.com<http://www.cosmicfilmfest.com/>.

Meat (BFA F3 2017 Vishesh Pires) and Baphomet High (MFA D2 2017 Rebecca Raymond) are official selections at the End of Days Film Festival in Orlando on June 23. For more information about this festival, go to http://endofdaysfilmfestival.com/

Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart) is on the shortlist for the BAFTA Student Film Awards. Finalists will be feted at a ceremony in Los Angeles on June 29. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.bafta.org/los-angeles/events-initiatives/supporting-talent/student-film-awards.

The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) was selected for screening at Outfest in Los Angeles, July 12-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.outfest.org<http://www.outfest.org/>.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) and Basics (BFA Thesis 2017 Spencer Smyth) were selected for screening at the Gen Con Indy Film Festival in Indianapolis, August 2-5. For more information about this festival, go towww.gencon.com<http://www.gencon.com/>.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Toronto Indie Horror Fest, August 29 – September 1. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.toindiehorrorfest.com/.