[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 7.27.18

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Fri Jul 27 14:34:38 EDT 2018

[cid:image001.png at 01D425B6.F1894DD0]

Come join us to watch the thesis films from the MFA class of 2018!  Free and open to the public at Ruby Diamond Auditorium.   Different films will be screened in the afternoon at 2:30 and in the evening at 8:30.

Congratulations to  Barry Jenkins (BFA 03) and other Film School alums who helped to create If Beale Street Could Talk!    Beale Street will be screened at the Toronto Film Festival.   See the Deadline article: https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2018/07/toronto-film-festival-2018-lineup-full-list-1202432368/amp/

And to Adele Romanski (BFA. 04) who produced Beal Street.  Her show, Lamb on the Throne, will be part of the IFP Project Forum – see the Deadline article at https://deadline.com/2018/07/moonlight-carol-icarus-billions-ifp-forum-week-new-york-1202433974/

From Alex Bock (BFA 14). “I’m proud to announce that for the month of June I had the pleasure and incredible opportunity to cam op my first feature! It was such an amazing experience and one that I’ll never forget! I’m so thankful for the support I received from the FSU family and my NYC friends to take on this opportunity and to help me grow in my career. Also, special shout out to FSU alum Nastasia Humphries (BFA. 14). for joining me on this project as my 2nd AC. She did a fantastic job and I’m so grateful that it worked out for her to fly up from ATL to NYC for this job. Can’t wait to see what other opportunities the future holds!”

From Darrel Raymundo (BFA ADA  15). “a statue i digitally sculpted was featured at Comicon. The sculpture is a comic book style character of Steven Adams of the Oklahoma City Thunder. He is 3d printed and was finished in fiberglass.  You can check out the sculpture here.
http://www.latimes.com/sd-sdcc-2018-10-cool-things-at-san-diego-comic-con-20180720-htmlstory.html#<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.latimes.com_sd-2Dsdcc-2D2018-2D10-2Dcool-2Dthings-2Dat-2Dsan-2Ddiego-2Dcomic-2Dcon-2D20180720-2Dhtmlstory.html-23&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=KK-UOlt9_jOIIoPPDw2EFJ6kV7if9Var9xooN79iM4I&s=ldql3nZ2zD12RAU-jjvr3ISKS2HT0REdvR2UTFlnbT0&e=>

Congratulations to Bill Kelly, actor in many of our films!  He has obtained a recurring role on True Detective!

With the blessing of Reb and Brenda, Nikki Lee (MFA 17) and Katherine ("Rin") Oostman (MFA 17) have created The New Deal -- a podcast designed to capture the filmmaking experience of FSU CMPA alumni. Each episode will feature an interview with FSU filmmakers, delving into our stories and experiences from working in the industry. Nikki and Rin hope this podcast will become yet another way to strengthen the community and share the wealth of learning within the FSU Mafia. The podcast is for current students, former students, and anyone who simply love movies. Episodes can be found here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-new-deal/id1414776042?mt=2<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__itunes.apple.com_us_podcast_the-2Dnew-2Ddeal_id1414776042-3Fmt-3D2&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=QAqcQKcx1yyVbbN9XpZxCwXd2ef-mIkuydwj3QatcKU&s=s3An_0Kc_mrON-_tsmX24UmpJyKup1ULE-ZxvtoJj1g&e=>

From Andy Rogers (MFA Writing 18). “ I just got an email about my screenplay, "Jackalopes," getting into the Quarterfinal Round of the Academy Nicholl's Fellowship in Screenwriting.  Figured you might want to know that the FSU Film Writing Program did me well!”

From Carly Howard (BFA 17). I'm excited to announce that we have wrapped on principal photography for my first post-film school short, "Delilah, Where Did You Go?" It follows the story of a community college student who finds herself homeless in her hometown while driving for Uber. We shot twenty-five pages over six days in Atlanta and pooled a lot of resources to make it happen. Ryan Alevy (FSU 16) produced and Landon Kovalick (FSU 15) served as the DP. Brooke Zbytniewski (BFA 17) flew in from L.A. to 1st AC, Sabrina Grimes (BFA 17) 2nd AC'd, and Jared Hopkins (BFA 17) helped out in G&E. We also had great support from the community and our friends at Something to Say Productions. Now editor Geri Ingall (BFA 17) and I have to get to work. We're hoping to be done with post in time for the 2019 festival circuit and then we'll get to work on funding the feature length!

“Looking for an animator/illustrator to collaborate with for the visual pitch for an animated TV series…A delusional rapstar-superhero’s father mysteriously dies, forcing her to return to Jersey and face her kryptonite...her dysfunctional family.  Seeking an animator that can collaborate on the physical characteristics of the main characters and then potentially animate the 4-5 min. teaser of the pilot. We’re based in Los Angeles so must be available for Skype interview/work sessions.  Megan Guinan is the writer and producer of this animated series. As an actress she's appeared on several TV shows and independent films and is currently developing her own slate as a writer and producer. She currently works at College Humor.  If interested please email: meganguinan9 at gmail.com<mailto:meganguinan9 at gmail.com>

From Michelle Pullam; her friend has a room for rent  in LA:  “We have a great furnished 3 bedroom Penthouse apartment(can bring own bedroom furniture if desired) in Studio City area(behind Universal), its really big and bright.  Would like to find someone easy going(female preferred) and hope they would feel at home with us 2 girls! Great kitchen with all appliances included :). Price is $1200 includes bills,  cable and wifi. Includes private bedroom and bathroom. plus own underground parking spot!  Also we have a small cute dog (very house trained- Talulah) who comes to work with us everyday and fat Kitty (Gucci) who have travelled with me to LA..  Contact Jennifer Barrett <barrettjj1 at gmail.com<mailto:barrettjj1 at gmail.com>>.”     NOTE if you would like a more complete description of the space, and pictures, email mwarren at fsu.edu<mailto:mwarren at fsu.edu> and I’ll send them to you.

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – July 26, 2018

Bomb Shell (BFA F3 2018 Ryland Carlin) won Honorable Mention at the 15 Minutes of Fame Film Festival in Palm Bay, Florida, July 20-21. For more information about this festival, go to http://palmbayfilmfestival.com.

Schwinging (MFA D2 2017 Dylan Zivitz) was nominated for Best Student Director of a Short, and Best Actor in a Student Short at the Austin Revolution Film Festival, September 17-22. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com.

Basics (BFA Thesis 2017 Spencer Smyth) was selected for screening at the FilmQuest Festival in Salt Lake City, September 7-15. For more information about this festival, go towww.filmquestfestival.com<http://www.filmquestfestival.com>.

The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) was selected for screening at the All Genders, Lifestyles and Identities Film Festival (aGliff) in Austin, September 6-9. For more information about this festival, go to www.agliff.org<http://www.agliff.org>.

Maria (BFA F3 2017 Illiana Ipes) was selected for screening at the Global Peace Film Festival in Orlando, September 18-23. For more information about this festival, go to www.peacefilmfest.org<http://www.peacefilmfest.org>.

American Music (MFA D2 2017 Wesley Fleming) was selected for screening at the Urban Film Festival in Miami, August 31 – September 2. For more information about this festival, go towww.urbanfilmfestivals.com<http://www.urbanfilmfestivals.com>.

Sight (MTH 2017 Janeen Talbott) was selected for screening at the BronzeLens Film Festival in Atlanta, August 22-26. For more information about this festival, go tohttp://www.bronzelensfilmfestival.com/

Love is Blind (MFA D1 2016 Jonas Schubach) was selected for screening at the Reading Fringe Film Festival in Reading, England, July 24-29. For more information about this festival, go to http://readingfringefestival.co.uk/.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) was invited to a special Afrofuturism screening of the Chicago Filmmakers organization on July 28. For more information about this screening, go tohttps://www.chicagofilmmakers.org/screenings/2755<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.chicagofilmmakers.org_screenings_2755&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=xIpHzcuwX3JVa7Cos0-8rp9kWVUsRgJBtEEOHh36rPc&m=PACriz3q-Mkdq_z7JLKfFEUD1kpXwmbjHFCoVFNmkFM&s=1t0DEaHDZNYS7CQ_bxfaZFVBW5fCfHGe6iCW0NdWrRI&e=>.

Inked (BFA F3 2018 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Hollywood Horrorfest, July 28-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.hollywoodhorrorfest.com<http://www.hollywoodhorrorfest.com>.

Killer Kart (MFA Thesis 2012 J Feeney) was invited to screen at the Summer Film School Film Festival in Uherské Hradiště, Czech Republic, July 27 – August 5. For more information about this festival, go to https://en.lfs.cz/.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) and Basics (BFA Thesis 2017 Spencer Smyth) were selected for screening at the Gen Con Indy Film Festival in Indianapolis, August 2-5. For more information about this festival, go towww.gencon.com<http://www.gencon.com>.

Underground Tantrum (BFA Documentary 2017 Cristy Trabada) and The Funk Doctor (MFA D2 2017 Demetrius Martin) were selected for screening at the Hip Hop Film Festival in New York City, August 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to https://hiphopfilmfestival.org/.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) was selected for screening at the BlackStar Film Festival in Philadelphia, August 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.blackstarfest.org.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) was selected for screening at the Taiwanese American Film Festival in Los Angeles, August 3-4. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.taff.la.

AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) was selected for screening at the Something Wicked Film Festival in Forest Park, Georgia, August 3-5. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.somethingwickedfilmfestival.com/.

Help Wanted (MFA D2 2017 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at the Trinity International Film Festival in Detroit, August 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to http://trinityinternationalfilmfest.blogspot.com/.

Mama I Wanna March (MTH 2017 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the Macon Film Festival, August 16-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.maconfilmfestival.com<http://www.maconfilmfestival.com>.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen and is a finalist at Les Femmes Underground Film Festival in Los Angeles on August 19. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.lesfemmesinternational.org/.

Ms. Omniscience (MFA D2 2017 Xiao Ma) is an official selection and a Semi-Finalist in the Los Angeles Independent Film Festival Awards. Winners will screen In LA on August 25, 2018. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.laiffawards.com.

Mama I Wanna March (MTH 2017 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the BronzeLens Film Festival in Atlanta, August 22-26. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.bronzelensfilmfestival.com/

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Toronto Indie Horror Fest, August 29 – September 1. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.toindiehorrorfest.com/.

The Wednesday Sessions (BFA F3 2017 Erin Smyth), The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien), Help Wanted (MFA D2 2017 Kennikki Jones) and The Art of Foley (MFA D2 2017 Sara Karimipour) were selected for screening at the Broad Humor Film Festival in Los Angeles, August 30 – September 2. For more information about this festival, go to www.broadhumor.com.

Baphomet High (MFA D2 2017 Rebecca Raymond) and The Infamous Guy Christman (MFA D2 2017 Anthony DeNiro) were selected for screening at the Dragon Con Independent Short Film Festival in Atlanta, August 30 – September 3. For more information about this festival, go to http://filmfest.dragoncon.org.

Ms. Omniscience (MFA D2 2017 Xiao Ma), If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena)  and Basics (BFA Thesis 2017 Spencer Smyth) were selected for screening at the Burbank International Film Festival, September 5-9. For more information about this festival, go to www.burbankfilmfestival.org<http://www.burbankfilmfestival.org>.

Meat (BFA F3 2017 Vishesh Pires) was selected for screening at the All Genders, Lifestyles and Identities Film Festival (aGliff) in Austin, September 6-9. For more information about this festival, go to www.agliff.org.

Rigor Mortis (MFA Thesis 2017 Matthew Robinson), Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) and The Wednesday Sessions (BFA F3 2017 Erin Smyth) were selected for screening at the FilmQuest Festival in Salt Lake City, September 7-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmquestfestival.com.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien), Edgar & Ellie (MFA D2 2017 Jonpaul Rodriguez), Schwinging (MFA D2 2017 Dylan Zivitz) were selected for screening at the Austin Revolution Film Festival, September 17-22. The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) was nominated for Best University Film, Best Cinematography Short and the Rising Voice Award.  Edgar & Ellie (MFA D2 2017 Jonpaul Rodriguez) was nominated for Writer/Director of the Year, Rising Voices, Best University Film. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com.

Sink or Swim (BFA Thesis 2017 Justin Burt) was selected for screening at the Austin Revolution Film Festival, September 17-22. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com.

Reanimated (BFA Documentary 2018 Shae Demandt) is a Semi-Finalist in the Student Academy Awards competition. Winners will be announced in October. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.oscars.org/saa.

Sleeves (BFA Documentary 2018 Carrie Carusone) was selected for screening at the Fashion Film Festival Chicago on October 15. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.fashionfilmfestivalchicago.com/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen at the All Lights India International Film Festival in Hyderabad, India, December 1-4. For more information about this festival, go to http://aliiff.com.