[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 7.5.18

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Jul 5 11:47:54 EDT 2018

From Yingxiang Huang (MFA 15 ). “"Last month, I finished the first feature project I wrote and directed in China. It’s a TV series like INSIDE NO.9. The story is about 8 girls who live in the same building. They receive 8 different lucky packages with secret gifts, which will change their life in magical ways. Altogether there are 16 episodes. I started the idea after film school and finally pitched it to a Chinese producer I knew in February, 2017.We spent almost a year working on the scripts and raising money. Eventually, we got 1 million US dollars for the project and started the pre production in March, 2018. We shot for 44 days with over 80 crew members. We finished the project in time within the budget. I found the set experience really different from the ones I had in the U.S. Also, as a female director, I need to fight more to get what I wanted. The images turned out to be great and it was definitely a valuable experience to me. We are in post production right now and it should be done at the end of this year. "

From Matt Robinson (MFA 17). “In order to try and get into commercial directing out here in LA, I decided to Produce/Direct two spec commercials. I'm happy to say that I recently finished them and wanted to share them! I couldn't have done it without the guidance of two amazing FSU alums: John Wikstrom (BFA 12) and Christopher Oroza (BFA 10). They encouraged me and answered any and all questions I had along the way. Also, shout out to the FSU alums that helped on set: Nikki Lee (1AD (BFA 17)), Layne Inselman (1AC) (MFA 17) , Jeremy Bolden (Gaffer) (MFA 16) , Zarmala Gilani (Key Grip) (MFA 17), Clinton Cornwell (Sound) (MFA 13), and Devin Feheley as actress.
https://vimeo.com/277755880<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__vimeo.com_277755880&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=eTd1RyCW9fiqg6LxdrJ4eJKlZy5j0Ajv3FfYxO_lrSo&s=0LpYpu_jClEgMXAVl6Ts69lKZiHzTQF30eAIYttQmYc&e=> - password: munchcrunch
https://vimeo.com/277751083<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__vimeo.com_277751083&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=eTd1RyCW9fiqg6LxdrJ4eJKlZy5j0Ajv3FfYxO_lrSo&s=z0h4JftKdXnMd_-uhXZbY5wv2zIrFQgLb9iAyg1EfPs&e=> - password: homegrown

Last week I posted about Idan Menin’s  (BFA 12) beautiful Estee Lauder campaign and the URL was messed up.  Go here to see it:  https://ascmag.com/articles/capturing-beauty-for-estée-lauder<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ascmag.com_articles_capturing-2Dbeauty-2Dfor-2Dest-25C3-25A9e-2Dlauder&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=BB0t0hxDVp4YBDSJbmIhTab46nmI8KaIMUvE5FFFoJQ&s=5zoF4QPXcQA7uoDGiOWN9557hOoSd1-Vy-wxcGYm3WU&e=>

From Jonathan Stone, Film School Head of Visual Effects:  “A very unique opportunity came up for me last week that I’d like to share with you all. With the good graces of our deans, I’ll be spending 7 weeks in New York at Powerhouse VFX starting next Monday, July 9.  I will be VFX producing and delivering shots for a few different feature films including “Glass”, the latest film from director M. Night Shyamalan. Ironically, at the end of last semester, I was able to connect Erik Kallin (BFA ’18) with Powerhouse and they recently offered him a short term position starting on the same day that I start. How cool is that - I hope he listened in class!  Anyway, this opens up a great opportunity for FSU — not only will I be establishing a working relationship with Powerhouse VFX, I’ll also be meeting with several other NY VFX studios in order to discuss our program in person and hopefully open doors for more jobs. I also hope to grab lunch/coffee with as many alums as I can! On the school front I will continue to check in with the MFA students doing VFX as well as video conferencing to teach my section of the production management class.”

From Parker McBain (BFA ADA 18). “Just started a job in San Diego as a cinematic animator for Sony PlayStation! Super excited to begin my career out here. San Diego is beautiful!”

High Profile Actress seeks part-time personal assistant for end of July and August, with possibility to extend. Seeking someone efficient, organized, quick, dauntless. Must be physically capable of heavy lifting. Preferably based on the East Side. Duties will include assistance during a press tour and basic errands (like pet care, wardrobe pickups, package drop-offs, scheduling house maintenance, dinner reservations etc). Some travel possibly required for August, air/hotel will be provided. Must have car and valid passport. $25/hour or an agreed upon day-rate. EMAIL: humanmother at gmail.com<mailto:humanmother at gmail.com>

From Matt Sanders (MFA10). “I'm looking for a low budget Line Producer (paid position) that's based in Atlanta or Nashville to team up with an award winning directing team that will be filming a short form series (3 small commercial type films) for a nonprofit organization. Shoot days will be in late July. Total budget is around $125k, hoping to film 3 days. If you're interested please email: Matt at Society.tv<mailto:Matt at Society.tv>

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – July 5, 2018

Sink or Swim (BFA Thesis 2017 Justin Burt) was selected for screening at the Austin Revolution Film Festival, September 17-22. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com<https://austinrevolution.com/>.

Sleeves (BFA Documentary 2018 Carrie Carusone) was selected for screening at the Fashion Film Festival Chicago on October 15. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.fashionfilmfestivalchicago.com/.

Rigor Mortis (MFA Thesis 2017 Matthew Robinson) was selected for screening at the Hollywood Dead Film Festival, July 21-22. For more information about this festival, go to http://hollywooddeadfilmf.wixsite.com/projects/hollywood-dead-film-festival.

Sculpting Tradition (BFA Documentary 2017 Savannah Berube), Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller) and Still November (BFA F3 2017 Reid Lauff) were selected for screening at the Twin Rivers Media Festival in Asheville, North Carolina on July 21. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.twinriversmediafestival.com/.

AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) was selected for screening at the Something Wicked Film Festival in Forest Park, Georgia, August 3-5. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.somethingwickedfilmfestival.com/.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) was invited to a special Afrofuturism screening of the Chicago Filmmakers organization on July 28. For more information about this screening, go to https://www.chicagofilmmakers.org/screenings/2755<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.chicagofilmmakers.org_screenings_2755&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=xIpHzcuwX3JVa7Cos0-8rp9kWVUsRgJBtEEOHh36rPc&m=PACriz3q-Mkdq_z7JLKfFEUD1kpXwmbjHFCoVFNmkFM&s=1t0DEaHDZNYS7CQ_bxfaZFVBW5fCfHGe6iCW0NdWrRI&e=>.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) was invited to screen at Blerd City Con in Brooklyn on July 14. For more information about this event, go to https://www.eventbrite.com/e/blerd-city-con-2018-tickets-47614626630?aff=ebdssbdestsearch<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.eventbrite.com_e_blerd-2Dcity-2Dcon-2D2018-2Dtickets-2D47614626630-3Faff-3Debdssbdestsearch&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=xIpHzcuwX3JVa7Cos0-8rp9kWVUsRgJBtEEOHh36rPc&m=PACriz3q-Mkdq_z7JLKfFEUD1kpXwmbjHFCoVFNmkFM&s=PMhoPi5juCYid6Xo1Ul5rcdq1mK-zto6pGnLfsLR10s&e=>.

The Art of Foley (MFA D2 2017 Sara Karimipour) was selected for screening at the Atlanta Shortsfest, July 6-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.atlantashortsfest.com<http://www.atlantashortsfest.com>.

The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) was selected for screening at Outfest in Los Angeles, July 12-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.outfest.org<http://www.outfest.org/>.

Twins (MFA Thesis 2017 Yi Tao), Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott), If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) and Connect (BFA Thesis 2017 Gabe Souza) were selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 19-22. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.comic-con.org.

Bomb Shell (BFA F3 2018 Ryland Carlin) was selected for screening at the 15 Minutes of Fame Film Festival in Palm Bay, Florida, July 20-21. For more information about this festival, go to http://palmbayfilmfestival.com.

Habit (BFA F3 2018 Cristy Trabada) was selected for screening at the I’m Not Gonna Move to L.A. Film Festival in Miami on July 25. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmgate.miami/nola<http://www.filmgate.miami/nola>.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) and Basics (BFA Thesis 2017 Spencer Smyth) were selected for screening at the Gen Con Indy Film Festival in Indianapolis, August 2-5. For more information about this festival, go towww.gencon.com<http://www.gencon.com/>.

Underground Tantrum (BFA Documentary 2017 Cristy Trabada) and The Funk Doctor (MFA D2 2017 Demetrius Martin) were selected for screening at the Hip Hop Film Festival in New York City, August 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to https://hiphopfilmfestival.org/.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) was selected for screening at the BlackStar Film Festival in Philadelphia, August 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.blackstarfest.org<http://www.blackstarfest.org>.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) was selected for screening at the Taiwanese American Film Festival in Los Angeles, August 3-4. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.taff.la<https://www.taff.la/>.

Mama I Wanna March (MTH 2017 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the Macon Film Festival, August 16-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.maconfilmfestival.com<http://www.maconfilmfestival.com/>.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen and is a finalist at Les Femmes Underground Film Festival in Los Angeles on August 19. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.lesfemmesinternational.org/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Toronto Indie Horror Fest, August 29 – September 1. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.toindiehorrorfest.com/.

The Wednesday Sessions (BFA F3 2017 Erin Smyth) and The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) were selected for screening at the Broad Humor Film Festival in Los Angeles, August 30 – September 2. For more information about this festival, go to www.broadhumor.com<http://www.broadhumor.com>.

Baphomet High (MFA D2 2017 Rebecca Raymond) and The Infamous Guy Christman (MFA D2 2017 Anthony DeNiro) were selected for screening at the Dragon Con Independent Short Film Festival in Atlanta, August 30 – September 3. For more information about this festival, go to http://filmfest.dragoncon.org<http://filmfest.dragoncon.org/>.

Ms. Omniscience (MFA D2 2017 Xiao Ma), If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena)  and Basics (BFA Thesis 2017 Spencer Smyth) were selected for screening at the Burbank International Film Festival, September 5-9. For more information about this festival, go to www.burbankfilmfestival.org<http://www.burbankfilmfestival.org/>.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien), Edgar & Ellie (MFA D2 2017 Jonpaul Rodriguez), Schwinging (MFA D2 2017 Dylan Zivitz) were selected for screening at the Austin Revolution Film Festival, September 17-22. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com<https://austinrevolution.com/>.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen at the All Lights India International Film Festival in Hyderabad, India, December 1-4. For more information about this festival, go to http://aliiff.com<http://aliiff.com/>.