[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 1.10.18

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Fri Jan 19 10:10:35 EST 2018

[cid:image001.png at 01D3910D.BDB0F690]

Hello fellow alums and friends of the film school. I just wanted to let you know Meryl is leaving. Okay, not NOW, but eventually she will, and we need your help preparing for that day. We’ve tapped Brenda Mills to take over the reins when Meryl eventually decides to say, “I’m outta here.” Those of you who have graduated in the last few years know Brenda. She has begun working with Meryl to help keep our connection strong, and she’s trying to get to know alums who graduated before she arrived nine years ago.

An important way Meryl stays connected to many of you is through social media, and especially Facebook. I’d like to ask you to connect with Brenda and Meryl through a new social media account called CMPA Alums to help her spy on you like Meryl does (you know half of the Warren Report is based on her surveillance of all of you). If you get a friend request from CMPA Alums, please accept.  Let’s ensure we always have the close and connected FSU mafia that makes us unique.

Reb

From Antonio Mendez:  “Thrilled to announce that "Life and nothing more” will premier in NY as the Opening Film for The Film Comment Selects Series! Screening will be Friday 23rd of February at 6:30pm. Hope to see some of you there! Here is the press release:
https://www.filmlinc.org/daily/lineup-announced-for-18th-edition-of-film-comment-selects/ “

From Nicole Emanuele (BFA  07)  “So proud today to see all the shows I worked on last year present at the TCA this morning. “Step Up: High Water” launches on Jan 31, and “Youth and Consequences” and “Impulse” follow this spring and summer. I did the math this week and on the 28 episodes of TV that these shows represent we hired 70% female directors, all our dramas have female showrunners. I’m so proud of that and feel so inspired to work with studios and producers that have championed daring stories and creators - and made it a priority to hire women!  Here are the articles that accompany the TCA program.

http://deadline.com/2018/01/impulse-sexual-assault-teleportation-youtube-doug-liman-jumper-tca-1202242483/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__deadline.com_2018_01_impulse-2Dsexual-2Dassault-2Dteleportation-2Dyoutube-2Ddoug-2Dliman-2Djumper-2Dtca-2D1202242483_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=idUI_0Rpedh_aNJApmaTkWDEQZMW50euoHLn4-UpyVM&s=NJX9z843klmIF8_JI6aeYambycoiF5sRjt0PTFsUuIE&e=>
http://deadline.com/2018/01/step-up-high-water-adam-shankman-ne-yo-youtube-tca-1202242491/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__deadline.com_2018_01_step-2Dup-2Dhigh-2Dwater-2Dadam-2Dshankman-2Dne-2Dyo-2Dyoutube-2Dtca-2D1202242491_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=idUI_0Rpedh_aNJApmaTkWDEQZMW50euoHLn4-UpyVM&s=W4lLO6C48mulWfrl-xAKSrT3OqxFM9oI-AhoMeNo7ME&e=>
http://deadline.com/2018/01/youth-consequences-anna-akana-youtube-tca-1202242536/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__deadline.com_2018_01_youth-2Dconsequences-2Danna-2Dakana-2Dyoutube-2Dtca-2D1202242536_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=idUI_0Rpedh_aNJApmaTkWDEQZMW50euoHLn4-UpyVM&s=gBqkl-QPQcswFo7i6FiaOqCuI6qUWJfZqoq6_CtJ3Tg&e=> “

From Charlie Malcolm (MFA 17)  “I am one of three nominees for the 2018 ACE Student Editing Competition. Thank you for your support. Each finalist will be invited to attend the ACE Eddie Awards, held on Friday, January 26, 2018 in Beverly Hills, CA.”

From Sara Bennett Crowley (BFA  04)  “I was Production Manager and 1st AD on an animated Adult Swim pilot, “The Shivering Truth”. The show is created by Vernon Chatman (of South Park and Louis CK’s work - though the last is now a sore subject...) and directed by Vernon Chatman and Cat Solen. Working with ShadowMachine as a producer after animating under their helm in Los Angeles for years has been wonderful - and I will be returning to complete 6 more episodes in the spring. “The Shivering Truth” pilot premieres at the Sundance Film Festival next week!  I also produced a Honda holiday campaign. 6 :30 sec commercials, plus billboards and stills for SoCal Honda Dealers annual Happy Honda Days. My other special project, Margaret Rosemary Crowley, was born on November 11, 2017 at 1:42 am. 7 lbs 12 oz and 20 inches of adorable and life/changing energy. Sean and I are thrilled to have her and hope that she will be a great playmate for JP Perry and Melissa Rossi’s (both BFA 04)  kiddo in the near future. (We are all still in Portland, OR.)”

From Adam Carboni (BFA 11)  “I am incredibly humbled to have been given the opportunity to make Sufjan Steven's new music video, “Life with Dignity.” I cannot thank the three individuals (Roland, Justin and Theresa) and their families enough for opening up their lives to my camera, amidst unimaginable struggles. I admire their courage so deeply, as well as Asthmatic Kitty Records<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_asthmatickitty_-3Ffref-3Dmentions&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=ZOdyzNBC68jSaxk3MY30e-4IvJ-lq-lK0LDvQb7igUU&s=cALKYlxtG9gZ5r0Pqq-exnrh6npa0-PO7Pj2zLqkcZo&e=>, for supporting such a needed cause.To assist patients like the ones in the video and thousands of others navigating the dark hallways of cancer, please consider donating to https://www.cancersupportcommunity.org/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.cancersupportcommunity.org_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=ZOdyzNBC68jSaxk3MY30e-4IvJ-lq-lK0LDvQb7igUU&s=Xx3W4srAizDxZQpO7jwZXjSrud-q39IIrKyWHPxJBXU&e=>. (They are in 44 states and focus on research and support for patients and families coping with cancer.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5HKtCoIlGs<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3Dv5HKtCoIlGs&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=ZOdyzNBC68jSaxk3MY30e-4IvJ-lq-lK0LDvQb7igUU&s=3pgyN3S84oBM_RYd0Qgyx0r4ES3VCq0Mk9MBmNOOy6I&e=>
http://www.themill.com/millchannel/1497/adam-carboni-tells-us-about-‘life-with-dignity’-by-sufjan-stevens<http://www.themill.com/millchannel/1497/adam-carboni-tells-us-about-'life-with-dignity'-by-sufjan-stevens>

Barry Jenkins (BFA 03) and Chadwick Boseman team up for a thriller. Jenkins will direct the Black Panther star in the Universal feature Expatriate, set in the 1970s and centering on a plane hijacking. Boseman penned the feature with his writing partner, Logan Coles.

From Rachel Shirley (BFA  15)   “I moved to Aliso Viejo because we have acquired a storefront on Vantis Citywalk. David, my boyfriend, is going to be using the store to open up a personal training facility and I am working with him on his marketing campaign! I will also be using the space to create my own original content (working out the details now). We are still deciding on the date of our grand opening, but we are both very excited to start this new chapter in our lives as business owners!   I am still working with the YouTube channel “We Are The Davises” as their senior editor and our subscriber count has passed 1.6 million! The past couple of months have been tough on the YouTube community, but the Davises are holding strong in the wake of demonetization and stricter community guidelines. For more information and updates, please check out my new, revamped website: www.rachelleighshirley.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.rachelleighshirley.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=qiq_nG-PEoNKIc4oc8YnsxQy6m5jmB9dDA79psO8p2M&s=uaH30xxZbMLhyJtwYo9zmFbgILGhFb7nthmYln1SQFc&e=> “

Film School documentary short seeking stunt people for interviews and live footage. This documentary will be filming throughout the southeast region of the United States during the month of March. This documentary hopes to explore the under representation of stunt people in the industry and bring light to the amazing and necessary work they do every day. If you are a stunt person or know someone who may be interested, please email Annika Ciul at ac16g at my.fsu.edu<mailto:ac16g at my.fsu.edu>, or text or call at 770-330-5929.

Hi! my name is Grace Yao, and I’m a freshman in the film program at FSU. I’m looking for a paid PA position or internship for this summer before I start film school. If anyone knows of any opportunities, it would be much appreciated. Thanks! xy17b at my.fsu.edu

From Nicole Dial (FSU COM alum)  “The
application deadline for Walt Disney Animation Studios Summer 2018 Internships is February 4th. To be eligible, you must be currently enrolled as undergraduate or graduate student who will return to school in the Fall of 2018.
•      Art & CG Intern:
•      https://goo.gl/wKQ3Pn<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__goo.gl_wKQ3Pn&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=_Kfkb3KzJUKvYoUZWyqhuXkjYUkRd9RPSuZY_Wf6lbI&s=89Kmzk_CH-3khAVpy3PCKoBL2SbBy6QVmCmrhOBiuEg&e=>
Story Intern: https://goo.gl/sF75j5<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__goo.gl_sF75j5&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=_Kfkb3KzJUKvYoUZWyqhuXkjYUkRd9RPSuZY_Wf6lbI&s=4i8ix_jm3iGV7D6rGC1r-97DlmRvZDMYZ08vDIhZH3k&e=>

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – January 18, 2018

You See ‘Em (BFA Documentary 2017 Emma Landeche) and On the Ledge (BFA F3 2017 Alexandra Avrakotos) were selected for screening at the Love Your Shorts Film Festival in Sanford, Florida, February 8-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.loveyourshorts.com<http://www.loveyourshorts.com/>.

The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) was selected for screening at the Corvallis Queer Film Festival in Corvallis, Oregon, February 21-24. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/CorvallisQueerFilmFestival/.

Server (MFA Thesis 2017 Nikki Lee) was selected for screening at WAMMFest in Baltimore, February 23-24. For more information about this festival, go to http://wammtu.com<http://wammtu.com/>.

Falling for You (MFA D1 2016 Laura Johnson) and War Crimes (MFA D2 2016 Matthew Robinson) were selected for screening at the Mountain of Laughs Comedy Festival in Gatlinburg, Tennessee on March 10. For more information about this festival, go to www.mountainoflaughs.com.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) was selected for screening at the Sci-Fi Underground FilmFest in Miami, December 3 – January 31. For more information about this festival, go to http://undergroundfilmfest.tv/.

A Body of Art (BFA Documentary 2017 Millicent Jenkins) was selected for screening at the Southern Sunset Undergraduate Film Festival in Carrollton, Georgia, January 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/SSUFF.

Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) was selected for screening at the Miami Beach Film Festival, January 13-15, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.miamibeachfilmfest.com<https://www.miamibeachfilmfest.com/>.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena), Reunion (BFA Documentary 2017 Brady Holcomb), A Trail Forward (BFA Documentary 2017 William Harrison), Sculpting Tradition (BFA Documentary 2017 Savannah Berube), You See ‘Em (BFA Documentary 2017 Emma Landeche), Lady Plum (BFA F3 2017 Grayson Goga), Cycle (BFA F3 2017 Erik Kallin) and Glory Days (BFA F3 2017 Terry Beck) were selected for screening at the Southern Sunset Undergraduate Film Festival in Carrollton, Georgia, January 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/SSUFF.

A Trail Forward (BFA Documentary 2017 William Harrison) was selected for screening at the Lookout Wild Film Festival in Chattanooga, Tennessee, January 18-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.lookoutfilmfestival.org<http://www.lookoutfilmfestival.org/>.

You See ‘Em (BFA Documentary 2017 Emma Landeche) was selected for screening at the Cinema on the Bayou Film Festival in Lafayette, Louisiana, January 20-27. For more information about this festival, go to http://cinemaonthebayous.com<http://cinemaonthebayous.com/>.

Caretaker (MFA Thesis 2017 Christopher Nold) was selected for screening at the Tally Shorts Film Festival in Tallahassee, January 26-27. For more information about this festival, go to Tallyshorts.com.

Everyone Loves a Panda (MFA D2 2017 Brandon Shenk) was selected for the monthly edition of Mindie – Miami Independent Film Festival. For more information about this festival, go to http://miamindiefest.com/.

The Wednesday Sessions (BFA F3 2017 Erin Smyth), Maria (BFA F3 2017 Iliana Ipes), Meat (BFA F3 2017 Vishesh Pires), Still November (BFA F3 2017 Reid Lauff), and Akira’s Mom (BFA F3 2017 Diana Dai) were selected for screening at the Love Your Shorts Film Festival in Sanford, Florida, February 8-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.loveyourshorts.com.

Mama I Wanna March (MFA Thesis 2017 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the Pan African Film Festival in Los Angeles, February 8-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.paff.org<http://www.paff.org/>.

Reunion (BFA Documentary 2017 Brady Holcomb) was selected for screening at the Copa Shorts Film Fest in Maricopa, Arizona, February 16-18. For more information about this festival, go to http://copashortsfilmfest.org<http://copashortsfilmfest.org/>.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the Denton Black Film Festival in Denton, Texas, January 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://dentonbff.com/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Woman Filmmaker, and Ms. Omniscience (MFA D2 2017 Xiao Ma) and The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien are Semi-Finalists and official selections at the Hollywood International Moving Pictures Film Festival in Los Angeles, CA, January 27, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.himpff.com<http://www.himpff.com/>.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the San Diego Black Film Festival, January 31 – February 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.sdbff.com<http://www.sdbff.com/>.

The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) and You See ‘Em (BFA Documentary 2017 Emma Landeche) were selected for screening at the Oxford Film Festival in Oxford, Mississippi, February 7-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.oxfordarts.com.

The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) was selected for screening at the Nevermore Film Festival in Durham, North Carolina, February 23-25. For more information about this festival, go to www.carolinatheatre.org/nevermore<http://www.carolinatheatre.org/nevermore>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at the London International Filmmaker Festival, February 10-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmfestinternational.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.filmfestinternational.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=xIpHzcuwX3JVa7Cos0-8rp9kWVUsRgJBtEEOHh36rPc&m=zh_oWuwIC0P6u9yoKQHw5QArzLuj59_fRPsooX8dNFc&s=tP-Mq0ZLkSkRaDomuLIivuVPZRa_p4YL2VQPbSNEnwo&e=>.

The Wednesday Sessions (BFA F3 2017 Erin Smyth), Meat (BFA F3 2017 Vishesh Pires), Tate’s (BFA Documentary 2017 Nicole Low), Thump (BFA F3 2017 Benjamin Roth), Caretaker (MFA Thesis 2016 Christopher Nold), and The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) were selected for screening at the Pensacon Short Film Festival in Pensacola, February 23-25. For more information about this festival, go to http://pensacon.com/events/short-film-festival/.

Sitting Across from Strangers on Trains (BFA Thesis 2017 Melina Valdez) was selected for screening at the NY State Indie Film Festival in Naples, New York on February 23. For more information about this festival, go to http://nysindie.com/.

The Art of Foley (MFA D2 2017 Sara Karimipour) and Maria (BFA F3 2017 Iliana Ipes) were selected for screening at WAMMFEst in Baltimore, February 23-24. For more information about this festival, go to http://wammtu.com<http://wammtu.com/>.

Super Chef (MFA Thesis 2015 Rochelle Rose) was invited to screen at the Louisville Children’s Film Festival in Kentucky, February 24-26. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.louisvillechildrensfilm.org/.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) was selected for screening at the Winter Film Awards in New York City, February 22 – March 3. For more information about this festival, go to www.winterfilmawards.com.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) was selected for screening at the Around International Film Festival in Barcelona, Spain, March 9, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://aroundfilms.com<http://aroundfilms.com/>.

Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart) was selected for screening at the Peace on Earth Film Festival in Chicago, March 9-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.peaceonearthfilmfestival.org<http://www.peaceonearthfilmfestival.org/>.

Salam From Syria (BFA Documentary 2017 Sabrina Attar) was selected for screening at the World of Women Film Fair Middle East in Dubai, March 6-8. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.wowmiddleeast.com/.

Us Thereafter (BFA Documentary 2016 Terry Beck) was selected for screening at the Peace on Earth Film Festival in Chicago, March 9-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.peaceonearthfilmfestival.org<http://www.peaceonearthfilmfestival.org/>.

Baphomet High (MFA D2 2017 Rebecca Raymond) was selected for screening at the Indie Horror Film Festival in Dekalb, Illinois, March 16-18. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.indiehorrorfest.com/.

Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart) was selected for screening at the Fargo Film Festival in North Dakota, March 20-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.fargofilmfestival.org<http://www.fargofilmfestival.org/>.

Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart) was selected for screening at the American Documentary Film Festival in Palm Springs, California, April 6-12. For more information about this festival, go to www.americandocumentaryfilmfestival.com.

The Stranger (MFA Thesis 2017 Katherine Oostman), Mama I Wanna March (MFA Thesis 2017 Malcolm Baity), Thump (BFA F3 2017 Ben Roth), Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart), If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) were awarded Best of Brouhaha at the Brouhaha Film & Video Showcase in Orlando, November 18-19, and will screen in a special sidebar at the Florida Film Festival, April 6-15. For more information about the Florida Film Festival, go to www.floridafilmfestival.com<http://www.floridafilmfestival.com/>

War Crimes (MFA D2 2016 Matthew Robinson) was selected for screening at Cinema Los Angeles, April 27-18, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://cinemalosangeles.com/.