[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 1.11.17

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Jan 11 12:44:58 EST 2018

From Miguel Nolla (BFA 05)  “After lengthy negotiations, ABC<http://deadline.com/tag/abc/> has closed a deal for a put pilot commitment to an untitled music-driven family drama series inspired by the musical legacy of Selena Quintanilla<http://deadline.com/tag/selena-quintanilla/>, the Queen of Tejano music and one of the most iconic Mexican-American pop stars.  Miguel Nolla<http://deadline.com/tag/miguel-nolla/> (Scandal) is writing (and co executive producing) the project, executive produced by top music talent manager Scooter Braun, which is being done with the cooperation of Selena Quintanilla family members Abraham Quintanilla, Jr., and Suzette Quintanilla Arriaga.”  Read the Deadline article at http://deadline.com/2018/01/selena-quintanilla-tv-series-pilot-abc-inspired-by-legacy-1202240145/

From Paul Cohen, Director of our Torchlight Program:  “I will be attending this 2018 Sundance FF from January 18-24th. I would like to meet any of our attending students and alumni who will be in attendance during that time. My contacts are as always: PaulCohenFilm at gmail.com<mailto:PaulCohenFilm at gmail.com> and 646.244.5598 for phone and text. Looking forward”

NBC NBC’s new initiative that forges a path for female scripted series directors.  Go to https://nbcfemaleforward.com<https://nbcfemaleforward.com/> for complete information.

From Claudia Johnson, former Film School screenwriting faculty:  “So happy my screenwriting text, CRAFTING SHORT SCREENPLAYS THAT CONNECT, 4th ed., is now #11 on the Amazon Bestseller-Screenplays list & it includes Wes Ball (BFA 02) (now of MAZE RUNNER fame)'s thesis script & film, A WORK IN PROGRESS & Barry Jenkins (BFA 03) (of MOONLIGHT fame)'s luminous thesis script & film, MY JOSEPHINE. Check it out! So cool to see their early work & genius! And congrats, Barry & Wes on your amazing achievements in film storytelling!”

From Larry Verbit (MFA - Theatre).  L.A. entertainment attorney and friend of the Film School tells us that the Showtime Documentary Film “Beyond the Opposite Sex” on which he served as production counsel and on which he receives his first “Associate Producer” credit, was accepted by and is screening at the Palm Springs Film Festival.

From Jared Hopkins (BFA 17)  “This past half year out of college has moved fast! After moving to Atlanta, I started PA-ing around town, while working on some independent music videos and commercials as a grip/electric swing. Along with this I had been reaching out to an electrician who was hiring for the upcoming second season of “Atlanta”. I scrambled to get all my union paperwork done, got them in, and started day-playing with the group. A week later they let their Base-Camp Electric go, and hired me on to be their BCE/First Unit Electric swing. I had that job until the season ended, and finished out the year working with Stephen Grum (BFA 13) on second unit photography for some Jack Black film. After that, I went to Florida to see the parents, crashed on their couch, and slept for about a week straight. It was great.”

From Corey Crumpacker (BFA  15)  "Live Acoustic version of my band's new song "Mirrors." We'd love for you to give it a watch.  If you wanna hear more check us out on Spotify!"

From Trigg Ferrano (MFA 15)  “Happy to announce I'm officially done with the two-year program at Panavision and freelancing fulltime!!! I'm looking for new connections and exciting work, so if any Noles out there need an AC or DP, please reach out. I'd be happy to help however I can. Please feel free to add my email and phone number as well... tferrano at gmail.com<mailto:tferrano at gmail.com> 6786026339... however you traditionally format things.  And my new website as well. Every bit counts. Thanks!  www.triggferrano.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.triggferrano.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=7KVwWq07Zp3MiwDmA37s5_2h-MDN_S0NAk9YVeDeZIY&s=hllnrL6ylNCcYVdcjFKnhzGrgY35G0CR2woXpCKKvVg&e=>

From Brian Jimenez, Production Manager at Atlantic Studios:
“First off, thanks so much for sending along my first freelancer request to your list serv. It was a huge help in a pinch, and I got some good responses!  I wanted to pass along a listing to The Atlantic's annual fellowship program and see if you'd be able in send it along to any recent grads. It's a full year, paid fellowship in either the DC or NY office, and it's a great opportunity for someone fresh out of college with some documentary or animation production experience. It's a little time sensitive because applications close on Jan. 15(!) but I'm hoping to spread the word in the final days. Link is below: http://atlanticmedia.theresumator.com/apply/jobs/details/Huj5rDHIGe<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__atlanticmedia.theresumator.com_apply_jobs_details_Huj5rDHIGe&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=Yh0gGZrddipPD7vVpnSYnJBIFlUCr0XrRG22GzT_rOk&s=awtZMmV-Q3FzWYS07n-fdIGprguWYigzVNFmSJOrf-8&e=>”

Talent/Lit management company (also expanding to producing film) is seeking
bright and motivated interns. We are a mid-level boutique and we rep clients on THIS IS US, HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER, ONCE UPON A TIME, OZARK, POWER, SUPERNATURAL, and many others. You do NOT have to be interested in management, but we are looking for someone who wants a real-life grasp on the ins and outs of development, representation, packaging, the actor’s process, writing, doing coverage, and the overall industry. Interns will read scripts, conduct research, assist with general office duties, tracking, and light data entry/coverage. College credit only and must commit at least one full day a week, please. Please send a cover letter and resume to  zina at stagecoachent.net<mailto:zina at stagecoachent.net>.

Forwarded from Dr. Frank Tomasulo:  “Netflix is seeking a Production Coordinator to support the Physical Production team in Original Film. This position would focus on an increasing slate of Original features films from pre-production through delivery, working closely with both freelance crews and our cross-functional teams within Netflix.”  NOTE:  If you are interested, let me know and I’ll send you the complete information.

INTERN - STATION 3 ENTERTAINMENT
Station 3 Entertainment is a bi-coastal talent management firm specializing in cultivating the careers of actors and actresses. Currently we have clients working on Broadway, film, and as series regulars on television. We are seeking driven, enthusiastic, and efficient interns. Candidates must be articulate, personable, and able to multitask. Looking to hire individuals interested in pursuing a career in the entertainment industry with a focus on talent management. This is an invaluable hands-on learning experience within the entertainment industry, and a tremendous opportunity for academic and professional growth. RESPONSIBILITIES include:

-Office work; answering phones, filing, scanning, organizing headshots and resumes.
-Assisting with self-tapes, auditions, and appointments.

-Accompanying the Station 3 team to showcases.
-Reading scripts & writing script coverage on roles for clients.
Send resume and a cover letter in the body of your email to s3internships at gmail.com<mailto:s3internships at gmail.com>
*UNPAID: MUST BE A CURRENT STUDENT & ABLE TO RECEIVE SCHOOL CREDIT* (Out of pocket expenses + gas will be reimbursed.)

INTERN - ARTILLERY CREATIVE:
Artillery Creative is a literary management and production company based in Los Angeles. We have a roster of clients working on shows like Timeless, Outlander, and Chicago PD, and have sold shows to networks, studios, and companies like Showtime, USA, UCP, Universal TV, ABC, Sony, CBS, Freeform, Nickelodeon, The Mark Gordon Company, Timberman-Beverly, and HBO.

We are looking for interns who want to pursue a career in literary management, development, or production, and have strong skills in script and story analysis. This is a great opportunity to understand first-hand how writers, intellectual property, and scripted projects are found, developed, and shepherded to success in film and TV. Send resume and a cover letter in the body of your email to s3internships at gmail.com<mailto:s3internships at gmail.com>

*UNPAID: MUST BE A CURRENT STUDENT & ABLE TO RECEIVE SCHOOL CREDIT*  (Out of pocket expenses + gas will be reimbursed.)

INTERN - BALANCE PICTURES:
Balance Pictures is a production company that acquires, develops, and produces scripted and unscripted content for film, television, and digital platforms. We develop and option branded and franchise-oriented entertainment properties with A-list writers and directors, and provide production services.
We are seeking driven, enthusiastic, and efficient interns. Candidates must be articulate, personable, and able to multitask. Looking to hire individuals interested in pursuing a career in the entertainment industry with a focus on production and development.Send resume and a cover letter in the body of your email to s3internships at gmail.com<mailto:s3internships at gmail.com>
*UNPAID: MUST BE A CURRENT STUDENT & ABLE TO RECEIVE SCHOOL CREDIT* (Out of pocket expenses + gas will be reimbursed.)

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – January 11, 2018

Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller) was invited to screen at the Sunshine City Film Festival in St. Petersburg, Florida, January 10-12. For more information about this festival, go to http://sunshinecityfilmfestival.com<http://sunshinecityfilmfestival.com/>.

Maria (BFA F3 2017 Iliana Ipes) was selected for screening at the Love Your Shorts Film Festival in Sanford, Florida, February 8-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.loveyourshorts.com.

Superheroes Anonymous (MFA D2 2017 Jake Hutchison) was selected for screening at the Super Geek Film Festival in Fort Lauderdale, January 12-14. For more information about this festival, go to http://floridasupercon.com/category/geek-film-festival/.

Sitting Across from Strangers on Trains (BFA Thesis 2017 Melina Valdez) was selected for screening at the NY State Indie Film Festival in Naples, New York on February 23. For more information about this festival, go to http://nysindie.com/.

The Art of Foley (MFA D2 2017 Sara Karimipour) and Maria (BFA F3 2017 Iliana Ipes) were selected for screening at WAMMFEst in Baltimore, February 23-24. For more information about this festival, go to http://wammtu.com<http://wammtu.com/>.

Super Chef (MFA Thesis 2015 Rochelle Rose) was invited to screen at the Louisville Children’s Film Festival in Kentucky, February 24-26. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.louisvillechildrensfilm.org/.

Salam From Syria (BFA Documentary 2017 Sabrina Attar) was selected for screening at the World of Women Film Fair Middle East in Dubai, March 6-8. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.wowmiddleeast.com/.

Us Thereafter (BFA Documentary 2016 Terry Beck) was selected for screening at the Peace on Earth Film Festival in Chicago, March 9-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.peaceonearthfilmfestival.org<http://www.peaceonearthfilmfestival.org/>.

Baphomet High (MFA D2 2017 Rebecca Raymond) was selected for screening at the Indie Horror Film Festival in Dekalb, Illinois, March 16-18. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.indiehorrorfest.com/.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) was selected for screening at the Sci-Fi Underground FilmFest in Miami, December 3 – January 31. For more information about this festival, go to http://undergroundfilmfest.tv/.

Till Death (MFA D2 2016 Molly Roland) was selected for screening at the Silver Screen for Short Films film festival in Clearwater, Florida on January 10, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.silverscreenforshortfilms.com/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Short of April at the Gold Movie Awards in London, January 11, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.goldmovieawards.com<http://www.goldmovieawards.com/>.

The Wednesday Sessions (BFA F3 2017 Erin Smyth) and Caretaker (MFA Thesis 2017 Christopher Nold) were selected for screening at the Flagler Film Festival in Palm Coast, Florida, January 12-14. For more information about this festival, go to http://flaglerfilmfestival.com<http://flaglerfilmfestival.com/>.

A Body of Art (BFA Documentary 2017 Millicent Jenkins) was selected for screening at the Southern Sunset Undergraduate Film Festival in Carrollton, Georgia, January 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/SSUFF.

Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) was selected for screening at the Miami Beach Film Festival, January 13-15, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.miamibeachfilmfest.com<https://www.miamibeachfilmfest.com/>.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena), Reunion (BFA Documentary 2017 Brady Holcomb), A Trail Forward (BFA Documentary 2017 William Harrison), Sculpting Tradition (BFA Documentary 2017 Savannah Berube), You See ‘Em (BFA Documentary 2017 Emma Landeche), Lady Plum (BFA F3 2017 Grayson Goga), Cycle (BFA F3 2017 Erik Kallin) and Glory Days (BFA F3 2017 Terry Beck) were selected for screening at the Southern Sunset Undergraduate Film Festival in Carrollton, Georgia, January 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/SSUFF.

A Trail Forward (BFA Documentary 2017 William Harrison) was selected for screening at the Lookout Wild Film Festival in Chattanooga, Tennessee, January 18-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.lookoutfilmfestival.org<http://www.lookoutfilmfestival.org/>.

You See ‘Em (BFA Documentary 2017 Emma Landeche) was selected for screening at the Cinema on the Bayou Film Festival in Lafayette, Louisiana, January 20-27. For more information about this festival, go to http://cinemaonthebayous.com<http://cinemaonthebayous.com/>.

Twins (MFA Thesis 2017 Yi Tao), The Fox Creek Carver (MFA Thesis 2017 Nathan Westenhaver), The Infamous Guy Christman (MFA D2 2017 Tony DeNiro) and Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) were selected for screening at the Super Geek Film Festival in Fort Lauderdale, January 12-14. For more information about this festival, go to http://floridasupercon.com/category/geek-film-festival/.

Caretaker (MFA Thesis 2017 Christopher Nold) was selected for screening at the Tally Shorts Film Festival in Tallahassee, January 26-27. For more information about this festival, go to Tallyshorts.com.

Everyone Loves a Panda (MFA D2 2017 Brandon Shenk) was selected for the monthly edition of Mindie – Miami Independent Film Festival. For more information about this festival, go to http://miamindiefest.com/.

The Wednesday Sessions (BFA F3 2017 Erin Smyth), Meat (BFA F3 2017 Vishesh Pires), Still November (BFA F3 2017 Reid Lauff), and Akira’s Mom (BFA F3 2017 Diana Dai) were selected for screening at the Love Your Shorts Film Festival in Sanford, Florida, February 8-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.loveyourshorts.com.

Mama I Wanna March (MFA Thesis 2017 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the Pan African Film Festival in Los Angeles, February 8-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.paff.org<http://www.paff.org/>.

Reunion (BFA Documentary 2017 Brady Holcomb) was selected for screening at the Copa Shorts Film Fest in Maricopa, Arizona, February 16-18. For more information about this festival, go to http://copashortsfilmfest.org<http://copashortsfilmfest.org/>.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the Denton Black Film Festival in Denton, Texas, January 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://dentonbff.com/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Woman Filmmaker, and Ms. Omniscience (MFA D2 2017 Xiao Ma) and The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien are Semi-Finalists and official selections at the Hollywood International Moving Pictures Film Festival in Los Angeles, CA, January 27, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.himpff.com<http://www.himpff.com/>.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the San Diego Black Film Festival, January 31 – February 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.sdbff.com<http://www.sdbff.com/>.

The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) and You See ‘Em (BFA Documentary 2017 Emma Landeche) were selected for screening at the Oxford Film Festival in Oxford, Mississippi, February 7-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.oxfordarts.com.

The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) was selected for screening at the Nevermore Film Festival in Durham, North Carolina, February 23-25. For more information about this festival, go to www.carolinatheatre.org/nevermore<http://www.carolinatheatre.org/nevermore>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at the London International Filmmaker Festival, February 10-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmfestinternational.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.filmfestinternational.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=xIpHzcuwX3JVa7Cos0-8rp9kWVUsRgJBtEEOHh36rPc&m=zh_oWuwIC0P6u9yoKQHw5QArzLuj59_fRPsooX8dNFc&s=tP-Mq0ZLkSkRaDomuLIivuVPZRa_p4YL2VQPbSNEnwo&e=>.

The Wednesday Sessions (BFA F3 2017 Erin Smyth), Meat (BFA F3 2017 Vishesh Pires), Tate’s (BFA Documentary 2017 Nicole Low), Thump (BFA F3 2017 Benjamin Roth), Caretaker (MFA Thesis 2016 Christopher Nold), and The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) were selected for screening at the Pensacon Short Film Festival in Pensacola, February 23-25. For more information about this festival, go to http://pensacon.com/events/short-film-festival/.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) was selected for screening at the Winter Film Awards in New York City, February 22 – March 3. For more information about this festival, go to www.winterfilmawards.com.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) was selected for screening at the Around International Film Festival in Barcelona, Spain, March 9, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://aroundfilms.com<http://aroundfilms.com/>.

Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart) was selected for screening at the Peace on Earth Film Festival in Chicago, March 9-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.peaceonearthfilmfestival.org<http://www.peaceonearthfilmfestival.org/>.

Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart) was selected for screening at the Fargo Film Festival in North Dakota, March 20-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.fargofilmfestival.org<http://www.fargofilmfestival.org/>.

Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart) was selected for screening at the American Documentary Film Festival in Palm Springs, California, April 6-12. For more information about this festival, go to www.americandocumentaryfilmfestival.com.

The Stranger (MFA Thesis 2017 Katherine Oostman), Mama I Wanna March (MFA Thesis 2017 Malcolm Baity), Thump (BFA F3 2017 Ben Roth), Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart), If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) were awarded Best of Brouhaha at the Brouhaha Film & Video Showcase in Orlando, November 18-19, and will screen in a special sidebar at the Florida Film Festival, April 6-15. For more information about the Florida Film Festival, go to www.floridafilmfestival.com<http://www.floridafilmfestival.com/>

War Crimes (MFA D2 2016 Matthew Robinson) was selected for screening at Cinema Los Angeles, April 27-18, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://cinemalosangeles.com/.