[Film-bfad2] [Film-bfad] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 1.16.18

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Fri Feb 16 07:36:39 EST 2018

Come Celebrate Cinema’s Biggest Night with the Film School

[cid:image001.png at 01D3A6F8.DFE25A50]<https://tickets.fsu.edu/>

Tickets on Sale Now at the Fine Arts Ticket Office

It’s the 90th Academy Awards! We’ll have the red carpet rolled out, delicious food, an Oscar poll, a high-end silent auction,
plenty of gifts & prizes, and of course the award ceremony projected on the big screen.

We will be cheering on our alumni and the films they have had a part in bringing to the big screen, including Best Picture nominee, Dunkirk.
We will also be watching as alum Barry Jenkins participates in the ceremony as a 2017 Academy Award winner for Moonlight.

Advanced tickets are on sale at the FSU Fine Arts Ticket Office<https://tickets.fsu.edu/> and will be sold at the door on the night of the event.

VIP Tickets – $100
General Admission – $35

VIP entry at 6:30pm (just in time for the pre-show) - includes first pass at the menu from Fifth & Thomas’ talented chef,
best seats in the house for watching the ceremony, a free ballot to the Oscar poll, and a gift bag with Film School swag.

General Admission entry at 7:30pm – includes the same delicious food with plenty of time to get your Oscar Poll votes in and make a bid in the auction.

Complimentary beverages available from 6:30pm – 8:00pm

Finalists in the Atlanta Film Festival Screenplay Competition have been announced with 3 alums in the running!
Feature Screenplay – Rebecca Drummond (MFA 11), Catbird Blues
Feature Screenplay – Sam Goodwin (BFA 14), Scout
Pilot Screenplay – Josh Smooha (BFA 12), Area 51

From Hunter Truman (BFA 15)  “Exited to share earlier this month we launched Box Party Films! Named after an event the Tallahassee Police Department affectionately referred to as “reckless” and “just incredibly stupid”, Box Party Films is a Los Angeles-based production company and filmmakers collective creating original short-form narrative and commercial content. We take campaigns from development through delivery with in-house crew, equipment and post-production resources. Over the last year we’ve also produced four original short films: West Palm, directed by myself, Hometown Dan, directed by Chris Leary (BFA 15), The Hole in the Floor, directed by Aleksandra Hansen (BFA 15), and last month we wrapped production in South Florida on Justin Zuckerman’s (BFA 15) Nancy. In addition to us four, we’re made up of fellow classmates Victor Inglés (Animation 16), Nicola Newton (BFA 15), and Jake Hammond (BFA 15). But none of these projects would have happened without the dedicated help of our greater FSU Film family, including Kat Barnette, April Moore, Armaan Uplekar, Courtney Ross, Byron Leon, Tavner Murphy and literally dozens of others. I also have to mention our best buds and East Coast counterparts, 5th Floor Pictures (Paula González, Ryan Brown and company) who we co-produced West Palm and Nancy with, and with whom we have a few more narrative and commercial co-productions gearing up for later this year. You can find out more about us at boxpartyfilms.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__boxpartyfilms.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=y-_d-UhIrh7RwlIRiaQ2NmiFl5O4L5vY7aCTTAq-w_4&s=b-ErH7kA2O9aAy2HnVmarKCd-j_SWT7u2xdB5amPBh8&e=>, and see behind the scenes content and updates at facebook.com/BoxPartyFilms<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__facebook.com_BoxPartyFilms&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=y-_d-UhIrh7RwlIRiaQ2NmiFl5O4L5vY7aCTTAq-w_4&s=Czjun6PaysfqcDMzHYCH4TMbaFU-NMrK2IBVShR1owo&e=>. Or ignore us entirely and go outside and play, whatever you’re in to.”

Erica Stone, Film School Acting faculty, plays the lead, Amanda,  in The Glass Menagerie, which runs February 15 through March 4 at Theatre Tallahassee.  Tickets are available at theatretallahassee.showare.com

From Beth Brandon (MFA Writing 06)  “Ya'll! I'm excited to announce that I'm teaming up with the Make by Makeupless team as the editorial director for makebymakeupless.com.<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__l.facebook.com_l.php-3Fu-3Dhttp-253A-252F-252Fmakebymakeupless.com-252F-26h-3DATPN7mb7QCTdEmJSOQAa7CWrtlyxHw-2D-5FN-5F-5F-2DFzQvVb7LxMklkPqMBoL7-5FvZ1uDo-5FhLGzvpZ9g6b4IlmvBtEjC-2DE7qYWRawjAuODSZHcnmuhZost3of2oaF6jtZBBZcCQQO070klqDglWvUF14vxzL-2D8C8pOVHtB6kUPew5nZeNEAAB3pu6MJilexDD1ZBcxnEA5NQe77Naa6nP2555RCV1J6Vuiq9jhY6YDAbqr16Cpv0IV1my-2DG-2Dn2MddRo1iP3oseWnploeg&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=f_LApWfrcY94mqxiWIA-7EyOrni28nRDBnkHuXQikPs&s=Adc7DKJPH4wLMq2VUGuFUVNyIY7Iq28gESgHaGw6qX0&e=> A new website dedicated to spreading awareness of feminist issues, content, and news. Thanks, Maura Sheedy<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_maura.sheedy-3Ffref-3Dmentions&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=f_LApWfrcY94mqxiWIA-7EyOrni28nRDBnkHuXQikPs&s=FEBL0oppocdTWoR4EIF6CLqjOg0u1nceTo50UEtQyQA&e=> for collaborating with me:). We're in the market for submissions of original material. I'll post the submit page in the comments below if you'd like to send something in. Personal experiences, poems, essays, short stories...we're accepting it all. In the meantime here's a piece I wrote about that weird gray area of casual sexism and how I dealt with it: https://www.makebymakeupless.com/20…/…/06/caulk-of-the-walk/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.makebymakeupless.com_2018_02_06_caulk-2Dof-2Dthe-2Dwalk_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=f_LApWfrcY94mqxiWIA-7EyOrni28nRDBnkHuXQikPs&s=xzkgzjV_PPkqnIH_X-rR2uwOEwDedxEXTl0BTyEky58&e=> “

Applications are now being accepted for the Spring 2018 Roy W. Dean Film Grant. Founded in 1993, the Roy W. Dean Grant is awarded to filmmakers with unique films that contribute to society. The Spring grant winner will receive $3,500 cash and $30,000 in film services to shoot and finish their project. Deadline for submission is April 30th, 2018. Every filmmaker that applies receives a free consultation on their project. Sponsored by donor Sonny Fassoulis through top rated film funding non-profit From the Heart Productions, projects accepted can be documentaries, short films, features, or web series. It is open to students and indie filmmakers with projects budgeted under $500K. The $3,500 cash prize is supplemented by donations such as from 40% deduction on color, editing, and sound from ProMedia, and 30% discount in equipment rental from AbelCine Tech,Inc. NYC, camera lens holder from Frii Designs, and much more from many heartfelt donors. You can apply for the grant at http://fromtheheartproductions.com/grant-application-form/.