[Film-bfad2] [Film-bfad] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 12.22.18

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Sat Dec 22 11:21:54 EST 2018

From Jonathan King (MFA 92) “I'm so proud of this movie and the amazing audience response to it. We've been on the road this week, starting with an incredible premiere in Washington DC with RBG herself in attendance. If you scroll down here, there's a link to the Times Talk Q&A after our sold out New York screening last night. (There's a spoiler alert toward the end of the video, so beware!) You can also find the link to #allrisenow<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/allrisenow?source=feed_text&epa=HASHTAG> with an online shop of fantastic gift ideas for your last minute holiday shopping needs, with proceeds benefitting the ACLU Women's Rights Project. The movie opens on Christmas Day in 15 cities in limited release, and tickets are on sale now. It will roll out to the rest of the country in January. Thanks to everyone for your support along the way!  https://www.facebook.com/OnTheBasisofSex/ ‘

From Michael (Pick) Piekutowski (BFA 00) “I recently had the honor and privilege of being a lighting technician for the ABC Press Pool coverage of the State Funeral of George H. W. Bush in the Washington DC National Cathedral. I still cannot quite explain the feeling awe at being in the same room as five living US Presidents, two deceased US Presidents (Woodrow Wilson is interred in the National Cathedral as well), and a full array of figures including US Vice Presidents, First Ladies, Senators, and Representatives, as well as foreign emissaries and royalty.  Some other notable projects I have worked on since my last check-in with the Warren Report have included "Wonder Woman 1984" (US Unit Fixtures Technician and 1st Unit Set Lighting Technician), "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" (Baltimore Unit Best Boy Electric), HBO's "House of Cards" (Rigging Electrician), ShowTime's "Homeland" (Set Lighting Technician), Amazon's "Jack Ryan" (DC/MD Unit Set Lighting Technician), ABC's "Scandal" (Series Finale DC Unit Set Lighting Technician), and CNBC's "Squawkbox" (DC Remote Unit Lighting Technician). I've also gotten the opportunity to be the Gaffer on a number of projects, including Investigation Discovery's "Jane Doe Diaries", "The Perfect Suspect", and "Dead of Night" as well as a number of local and national commercials.
2018 also consumed a lot of my time by putting me in the center of American Politics, especially with the recent completion of the midterm elections. I worked on commercials for various campaigns including interviews with figures such as Senator Tim Kaine, Senator Ben Cardin, Vice President Mike Pence, and Governor Rick Scott. I've also been working periodically on an upcoming PBS Documentary entitled "Created Equal: A Biography of Clarence Thomas" where I just finished being the Gaffer on some reenactment/B-roll scene work. It's been an exciting year here in the MD/DC/VA area. Here's hoping that 2019 is even better!”

From Jon Sams (BFA 14) “ I work mostly as a freelance photographer and videographer mainly in the Beauty and Influencer industries. My current main clients are Morphe Cosmetics, Jeffree Star Cosmetics, James Charles and The Crème Shop. Since graduating I’ve photographed two book covers, toured the country working with some of the top names in the beauty community and created content with some of LA’s best known influencers.  The last promotional campaign I shot and edited for Morphe’s collaboration with James Charles has garnered over 20 Million combined views, and is their best performing campaign to date. I just recently photographed my first beauty campaign for a Korean skincare company’s debut makeup launch in 2019, and am set to direct two audio drama podcasts in the coming year. Most days I work on creating (filming and editing) content for Morphe’s social and educational outlets.”

Do we have any alums in ATL looking for PA work?  If so, please let me know asap!  mwarren at fsu.edu

Congratulations to John Wikstrum (BFA 12) whose script Ask Me Anything, landed on the 2018 Blacklist, this year’s list of the best unproduced screenplays!

From David Schmeling:  As part of an on-going series hosted by The Artists League at the FSU Museum of Fine Art, Glenn Swan is offering a lecture on Sound Design as it pertains to theater and the visual arts — to make choices that not only enhance production value, but elevate sound to a level of importance equal to all other design. Instead of focusing on technology, this presentation emphasizes the concepts of how to make creative, informed decisions that reinforce story, visuals, and character.  Jan 8, 2019 at 07:45 pm - 09:00 pm (Tue), Museum of Fine Arts, Florida State University, 530 W Call St, 250 Fine Arts Building, Tallahassee, FL 32306.  For more information go to https://www.tallahasseearts.org/event/how-to-see-with-your-ears-the-art-of-sound-design/

From Shannon Palma:  “The graduate program in Writing and Digital Communication at Agnes Scott College is recruiting a pool of qualified instructors able to teach digital media production classes aimed at equipping students to produce audio and video podcasts and develop multi-media content for social media. Need will be determined on a semester-by-semester basis. Classes meet once or twice weekly depending on the time of year and are offered Monday through Thursday evenings and Saturday during the day. Ideal candidates are working professionals in the field who loves teaching at the nexus of theory and praxis.
 Designed to excite minds and enrich careers, the graduate program in Writing and Digital Communication at Agnes Scott College sets students up for professional success and positive community impact. DigiComm students learn to develop strategic content for the web and emerging media and to think critically about the future of digital communication and its impact on the world. Shaping digital communication to advance inclusion, courage, and integrity within students’ work or organization is a core component of the liberal arts curriculum. The successful candidate will demonstrate a commitment to working with a socially and economically diverse student population. To apply, please submit: cover letter and CV to Dr. Shannan Palma (spalma at agnesscott.edu<mailto:spalma at agnesscott.edu>), Writing and Digital Communication, Agnes Scott College, 141 E. College Ave., Decatur, GA 30030<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__maps.google.com_-3Fq-3D141-2BE.-2BCollege-2BAve.-2C-2BDecatur-2C-2BGA-2B30030-26entry-3Dgmail-26source-3Dg&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=l3Lh3ACy0G_QHwFSFT7AGLL82oGnDv1qd0YnHiJ3BmU&s=fX11G3Y_xHuE9HpVstjBSW_2AZSgLLFianIgE1g-GmE&e=>. You will be contacted if you are selected for an interview. Minimum Qualifications: Terminal degree (PhD or MFA) in a related field and a record of active creative or scholarly production.

From David Roesner (MFA 92). “QC Testers Wanted - We need QC Testers for a large project, primarily to work Swing and Grave shifts.  Posting titled “QC Digital Video/Audio/Subtitle Tester” is located on EntertainmentCareers.Net<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__EntertainmentCareers.Net&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=WM-d7-DacfwPiy5eY2g9nfzs8RnAqdRJs6gkLHuqmO0&s=Ggg3I_-9qKNKan_WeVAaUhLj5lQvY8qpPyZMrY8s8gc&e=> in the Post Production section <https://www.entertainmentcareers.net/confidential/qc-digital-video-audio-subtitle-tester/job/280232/> and submits via email.  You can address it to Amy and mention that you are an FSU Film School alum referred by David Roesner.  If you have any questions, please contact me directly at < rezdave at gmail dot com.”

From ERIC M. KLEIN, Producer (Hey Klein Pictures) and DAX PHELAN, Director/Writer/Producer (New Silk Road Entertainment).  All inquiries should use this email address for now: info at kirkwoodthemovie.com<mailto:info at kirkwoodthemovie.com>
Los Angeles-based accredited Producers/Filmmakers (Klein, https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002236/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.imdb.com_name_nm0002236_-3Fref-5F-3Dfn-5Fal-5Fnm-5F1&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=uwn0Lzc1UOFbxYHcTqElvJ8B-yHMi_hj5uQb-GPON1s&s=h5-WciGlqA1ovDngGj-yArWYWqjKv-aA0rjwq53GEHY&e=> and Phelan, https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3902034/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.imdb.com_name_nm3902034_-3Fref-5F-3Dfn-5Fal-5Fnm-5F1&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=uwn0Lzc1UOFbxYHcTqElvJ8B-yHMi_hj5uQb-GPON1s&s=JSCy0MH3D8LmqOHMfwimhEoR0zOKImCttNtBF4owTmY&e=> have partnered on several Motion Picture/TV projects, since the release of their film, “JASMINE” - Theatrical Trailer https://vimeo.com/179949939<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__vimeo.com_179949939&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=uwn0Lzc1UOFbxYHcTqElvJ8B-yHMi_hj5uQb-GPON1s&s=2t5b-iZl1NSCAXvnT3QxQ6T445AdjL6zE_95f0KpKcs&e=>.
The focus right now is to build up the ‘behind he scenes' team for the first project, “KIRKWOOD” - Teaser Trailer https://vimeo.com/254253885<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__vimeo.com_254253885&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=uwn0Lzc1UOFbxYHcTqElvJ8B-yHMi_hj5uQb-GPON1s&s=Fm0GVM-I_2tFPEXzW87rg3xvcLyTpxh4slry5nWjhno&e=>, to be shot in Missouri in Autumn 2019.  We are wearing too many hats and are in need of younger professionals that want real-industry experiences.  We know a lot and can’t imagine this not working out for anyone that can volunteer and start establishing themselves with us.  We fully understand everyone needs to make a living (our incomes are not from our projects, yet).  We have a few other producers involved in our projects whom will also become accessible to learn from.  But, it is Dax and I that each need help now. Currently we have 3 features and 1 docu-series.  The Docu-Series will need to have a Proof of Concept shot before the end of January 2019. We only have one Artist with us that does wonderful graphic design work, building our Pitch Decks (PDF presentations usually created for the investors) for our films as they approach financing.  All of our shows will have a deck created.  We are in the process of obtaining the rights to a dozen more projects, about every 3 months we start the process on each new project).
What we need help from others with….
 - web/internet skills.  To start with the website(s) that need to be established/built.  Nothing fancy, we can explain what we need.  The Key Art and Copy are being established in our Decks, but our Graphics person can’t translate that into the web.  I have a hosting company (Media Temple) already established, using Squarespace for creative.
- communications skills.  I started creating company email address, but I also need help to formalize how others working on our shows can start implementing them too.  Ideally, creating a virtual production office either with industry software (or dropbox).  There are some industry tool-sets I’d like us to explore that were built for filmmaking.
- social media comprehension.  We have a publicist working with us and Dax lives on Facebook (early 40’s), unlike me (51), lives on LinkedIn.  I know we need to amp up our presence.
- editing.  We are always wanting to tinker with footage we shoot or stock footage as we try and script teasers for our properties as well.  We have been thinking of about doing some EPK shooting as well.  Not a priority.
EMK - I prefer someone that is interested in producing (nuts and bolts, from contracts to a theater near you)… Not Directing/Writing at this time.  I am not looking for someone to do personal errands.  If they do research it most likely will be related to budget needs of Kirkwood, or how to streamline and organize everything that is in front of us (its not going to be a quick leap in… it will take some time to get going).
DAX - This person will be more research related for his other project we are developing (Kirkwood is fully developed, so work on this will be related to the actual production).  I can see how he may prefer someone that may end up shadowing him a bit more than I would be.  You would need to speak to him directly to really know what he needs help with.

Hope everyone has the holiday they were wishing for!

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – December 20, 2018

Bomb Shell (BFA F3 2018 Ryland Carlin) was selected for screening and will be an award-winner at Et Cultura in St. Petersburg, Florida, February 13-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.etcultura.com<http://www.etcultura.com/>.

Flag Duty (BFA F3 2018 Raymond Knudsen), The Lost Pendant (BFA F3 2018 Melissa Slizewski), Woman of Steel (BFA Documentary 2018 Chris Violette) and The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead) were selected for screening at Love Your Shorts in Sanford, Florida, February 7-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.loveyourshorts.com<http://www.loveyourshorts.com/>.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at the Final Girls Berlin horror film festival in Germany, January 31 – February 3. For more information about this festival, go to http://finalgirlsberlin.com/.

AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) was selected for screening at the Pensacon Short Film Festival in Pensacola, February 22-24. For more information about this festival, go to http://pensacon.com/events/short-film-festival.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at the inaugural Dunedin International Film Festival in Florida, January 12-13. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.dunedininternationalfilmfestival.com/.

The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach Film Festival, April 24-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com<http://www.fmbfilmfest.com/>.

Sugar Glass Ceilings (BFA Documentary 2018 Annika Ciul) was selected for screening and is nominated for Best Short Documentary at the Southern States Indie FanFilmFest in Biloxi, Mississippi, January 1-4. For more information about this festival, go to http://southernstatesindiefanfilmfest.com<http://southernstatesindiefanfilmfest.com/>.

Basics (BFA Thesis 2017 Spencer Smyth) was invited to screen at the Puna International Film Festival in India, January 10-17. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.piffindia.com/.

Creatures of the Night (MFA Thesis 2018 Jonpaul Rodriguez), Love is Blind (MFA D1 2016 Jonas Schubach), Killer Kart (MFA Thesis 2012 J Feeney), Mind Over Manor (BFA Documentary 2018 Noah Paradiso), Bomb Shell (BFA F3 2018 Ryland Carlin), The Mysterious Life of Emmett Butler (BFA Thesis 2018 Terry Beck), Space Race (MFA D2 Billy Kalstrom), Standardized Heisting (MFA Thesis 2018 Jake Hutchison), Still Watching? (MFA D2 2018 David Chambers), Us Thereafter (BFA Documentary 2016 Terry Beck), The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) and Mermaids (BFA Documentary 2018 Geena Hernandez) were selected for screening at the inaugural Dunedin International Film Festival in Florida, January 12-13. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.dunedininternationalfilmfestival.com/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Feedback Best of Female Film Festival on January 17th in Toronto. For more information about this festival, go to https://femalefilmfestival.com/.

Mistake (MFA D1 2018 Shuaihua Liu) was selected for screening at the Oregon Cinema Arts Film Festival in Portland, January 11-12. For more information about this festival, go to https://oregoncinemaartsfilmfestival.blogspot.com/.

Flag Duty (BFA F3 2018 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the Denton Black Film Festival in Texas, January 23-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.dentonbff.com<http://www.dentonbff.com/>.

Open Up (BFA F3 2018 Savannah Berube) was selected for screening at the Cinema on the Bayou Film Festival in Lafayette, Louisiana, January 23-30. For more information about this festival, go to http://cinemaonthebayou.com/.

The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) were selected for screening at Queer Screen’s Mardi Gras Film Festival in Sydney, Australia, February 13-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.queerscreen.org.au.

Sink or Swim (BFA Thesis 2017 Justin Burt) was selected for screening at the Tally Shorts Film Festival in Tallahassee, January 24-26. For more information about this festival, go to www.tallyshorts.com.

Splinter (BFA F3-2018 Brady Holcomb) was selected for screening at the Southern Sunset Undergraduate Film Festival in Carrollton, Georgia, January 31 – February 1. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.westga.edu/academics/coss/mass-communications/undergrad-film-fest.php.

Enyol the Luminary (BFA F3 2018 Elyse Carley), Open Up (BFA F3 2018 Savannah Berube), Look Past (BFA F3 2018 Jessica Kirby), The Portrait (BFA F3 2018 Nicole Low), The Feeling of It (BFA Thesis 2018 Erin Smyth), The Girl and the Bird (BFA Thesis 2017 Emily Mills), Rein It In (BFA F3 2017 Kaia Irish) and Hedge Hero (BFA Thesis 2016 Lauren Hammond) were invited to screen at a special Broward County Library event featuring women in animation titled “Colorful Language: Women in Animation” on March 9 in Coconut Creek, Florida.