[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 12.6.18

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Dec 6 15:43:13 EST 2018

Congratulations to Jason Maurer who teaches Digital Animation and Carolina Berguirstain and Kaia Pheonix (both BFA ADA 18).  Their PSA for Lauren’s Kids has been awarded a Regional Emmy!

Three Golden Globe nominations  for Beale Street:   Best Picture, Screenplay and Supporting actress!  https://tinyurl.com/yd8vpbu5

SAVE THE DATES:  The Film School posse, consisting of Reb Braddock, Andrew Syder, Vall Richard, Gregg Marcks, Brenda Mills, Sabrina Reisinger and me will be in LA the week of February25-March 1.    There is a tentative Film Forum planned at Soapbox on Wednesday, May 27; our screening will be part of the Hollyshorts Festival at Grauman’s TLC 6 on Thursday the 28th.  Since Dr. Valliere Richard will be retiring in early 2019, having worked with the Film School for thirty years, all events will celebrate her tenure.

From April Billingsley (BFA 06) “Our latest Act for a Change (www.actforachange.org<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.actforachange.org&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=wDwR78C5zaJ8klp1znrI3cUQ030eksXVwjF7VvIi_dU&s=Xo_la8HEJvXBzSCL1wlMIpF3yAGaVvhJRn7LpAO4Igo&e=>) theater show, Metamorphosis, was this past weekend at the Rob Mello Acting Studios in Atlanta and almost every night was a full house! All the profits from this round of shows, about $2,200, will be donated to LifeLine Animal Project, working to make all Atlanta shelters no kill shelters.”

From Shannan Johnson (MFA Writing 08)  “I have moved back to LA to work in script development. Also, my short DAUGHTERS was a finalist in the Film Pipeline Short Script Competition. Hit a roadblock in your script? Contact The Professional Pen at info at awriterforyourwriter.com<mailto:info at awriterforyourwriter.com>.”

From Jonas Schubach (MFA 18). ““Dirty Money” and “Heavens” (and also “Love is Blind”, my D1) are screening at the Dunedin International Film Festival in January.”

Melisse Sporn (BFA14) also has a film premiering at Sundance:  She was A Cam 1st AC on Clemency!

Sandra Valde (BFA 97) was DP on Now Apocalypse which will screen at Sundance!

Nat Sanders (BFA 02) and Joi McMillon (BFA 03) join in a Hollywood Reporter podcast:  https://tinyurl.com/y7ldlevg

From Zach Hoskin (BFA ADA 17).  “I am working on creature animation for the game dauntless at Steamroller Studios in Mount Dora, FL.”

From Luis Mendez, Jr., (MFA 16) “Been working on a bunch of commercials and features this year. Last week I was working on "Critical Thinking" directed by John Leguizamo and this week a Hennessy commercial. I also got into IATSE our Local 477 as a grip/electric/greens man this year. Missing the school very much. Most of all my classmates and professors.”

With the holidays coming up, there will be a Warren Report next week, and then probably not another one until January 3.  Keep sending me info, and I’ll keep stalking you on Facebook for things our little film world need to know, and we’ll have a huge WR in January.

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – December 6, 2018

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the inaugural Black Sunday Film Festival in London, England on December 8. For more information about this festival, go to https://blacksundayfilmfes.wixsite.com/blacksunday.

Standardized Heisting (MFA Thesis 2018 Jake Hutchison) and Still Watching? (MFA D2 2018 David Chambers) were selected for screening at the inaugural Dunedin International Film Festival in Florida, January 12-13. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.dunedininternationalfilmfestival.com/.

A Dark Place (BFA F3 2018 David Kroonen), AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) and The Misadventures of Riley and Jess (BFA F1 2017 Chayse Banks) were selected for screening at the Experimental Edge Film Festival in Tallahassee on December 8.

Graveyard Shift (MFA D1 2017 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at the Another Hole in the Head Film Festival in San Francisco, November 28 – December 12. For more information about this festival, http://www.sfindie.com.

AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart), Habit (BFA F3 2018 Cristy Trabada), Bomb Shell (BFA F3 2018 Ryland Carlin), Flag Duty (BFA F3 2018 Raymond Knudsen), Mind Over Manor (BFA Documentary 2018 Noah Paradiso), Teen Night (BFA F3 2018 Jacqueline Xerri), The Orthodontist’s Son (BFA F3 2018 Stephen Musumeci), A Dark Place (BFA F3 2018 David Kroonen), Paper Cuts (MFA D2 2017 James Leming), Mr. Facey (BFA F3 2018 Austin Maxwell),
My Landline (BFA Documentary 2018 Evan Barber), A Killer Fandom (BFA Documentary 2018 Francisco Cabrera), Sandbox (BFA F1 2017 Alex Ullom) and The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Evan Barber) were selected for screening at the Tampa Bay Underground Film Festival in Tampa, December 6-9. For more information about this festival, go to http://tbuff.org/.

There’s Nothing in the Lake (BFA Thesis 2018 Anthony Romaguera/Arielle Cole) was selected for screening at the inaugural PA Indie Shorts in East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, December 8-9, and is nominated for Best Student Short. For more information about this festival, go to www.paindieshorts.com.

Sitting Across from Strangers Like Us (BFA Thesis 2017 Melina Valdez) was selected for the Latino Film Market in New York City, December 12-16. For more information about this event, go to https://www.latinofilmmarket.org/.

Sugar Glass Ceilings (BFA Documentary 2018 Annika Ciul) was selected for screening and is a Finalist at the Southern States Indie FanFilmFest in Biloxi, Mississippi, January 1-4. For more information about this festival, go to http://southernstatesindiefanfilmfest.com.

Basics (BFA Thesis 2017 Spencer Smyth) was invited to screen at the Puna International Film Festival in India, January 10-17. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.piffindia.com/.

Creatures of the Night (MFA Thesis 2018 Jonpaul Rodriguez), Love is Blind (MFA D1 2016 Jonas Schubach), Killer Kart (MFA Thesis 2012 J Feeney), Mind Over Manor (BFA Documentary 2018 Noah Paradiso), Bomb Shell (BFA F3 2018 Ryland Carlin), The Mysterious Life of Emmett Butler (BFA Thesis 2018 Terry Beck), Space Race (MFA D2 Billy Kalstrom) and Mermaids (BFA Documentary 2018 Geena Hernandez) were selected for screening at the inaugural Dunedin International Film Festival in Florida, January 12-13. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.dunedininternationalfilmfestival.com/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Feedback Best of Female Film Festival on January 17th in Toronto. For more information about this festival, go to https://femalefilmfestival.com/.

Sink or Swim (BFA Thesis 2017 Justin Burt) was selected for screening at the Tally Shorts Film Festival in Tallahassee, January 24-26. For more information about this festival, go to www.tallyshorts.com.

Splinter (BFA F3-2018 Brady Holcomb) was selected for screening at the Southern Sunset Undergraduate Film Festival in Carrollton, Georgia, January 31 – February 1. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.westga.edu/academics/coss/mass-communications/undergrad-film-fest.php.
Enyol the Luminary (BFA F3 2018 Elyse Carley), Open Up (BFA F3 2018 Savannah Berube), Look Past (BFA F3 2018 Jessica Kirby), The Portrait (BFA F3 2018 Nicole Low), The Feeling of It (BFA Thesis 2018 Erin Smyth), The Girl and the Bird (BFA Thesis 2017 Emily Mills), Rein It In (BFA F3 2017 Kaia Irish) and Hedge Hero (BFA Thesis 2016 Lauren Hammond) were invited to screen at a special Broward County Library event featuring women in animation titled “Colorful Language: Women in Animation” on March 9 in Coconut Creek, Florida.