[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 8.23.18

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Aug 23 17:24:51 EDT 2018

Welcome to the Warren Report to our new students!  And so another year begins.
FSU’s Film School earns Top 20 national ranking!  Read an article by David Heller at http://news.fsu.edu/news/2018/08/23/fsus-film-school-earns-top-20-national-ranking/
Main Slate selection for the NY Film Festival is Barry Jenkins’s (BFA
03)  If Beale Street Could Talk will have its U.S. Premiere at the historic Apollo Theater

Akil DuPont (MFA 10) - I'm excited to announce that “Po' Psi Broke” has been released! It's a web series about a rich freshman trying to get into a poor and PROUD fraternity! Gratefully, we received a ranking of 4 out of 5 from our screening audience! :) You can check out our series on www.PoPsiBroke.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.PoPsiBroke.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=q1g0tMDjwtGvsy8gThIJRErmmcyk_Hx_LG6hST6s_4g&s=TO0iZZ-zNEJ_NOjHtqt5AMQ1iN-RqjjvWtoiJdgTksE&e=> or on YouTube. New episodes come out on Friday at 7pm.   We also just got into our first fest in Vegas, nominated for BEST COMEDY and BEST PILOT! 8/17-8/19 www.actiononfilmfest.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.actiononfilmfest.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=q1g0tMDjwtGvsy8gThIJRErmmcyk_Hx_LG6hST6s_4g&s=AuJxD5fryh_cUp2J_F147Q2wx2NXuUjpfgQXa1zkmJ0&e=>. Sara Corkern (MFA) DP'd the hell outta that thing,Allison Izzo (MFA) was Gaffer Extraordinaire and Kadeef Sanders (MFA) lent us some camera gear to make it happen!

From Eric Bader (MFA 09). “A few projects out now/soon: I had the pleasure of shooting the first season of the Netflix original series “Magic For Humans” which is available to binge starting August 17th. My crew included FSU alums Matt Ryan (MFA 11) (camera operator) and Kyle Bart Reid (MFA 11) (gaffer). I was also an additional director of photography on the Showtime series “Who is America” which is airing now.  And finally, “Spell” a weird and wonderful drama/comedy/fantasy feature that I shot last year in Iceland and Los Angeles will be debuting at the LA Film Fest on September 23rd. Kyle Bart Reid was my gaffer for the LA Unit.

From Erika Stone (Film School Acting Faculty). “My next project. "August: Osage County" at Theatre Tallahassee. Hope y'all can come see it! Opening August 23rd. It's been a wild ride!”

From Praheme (MFA 10)   “Praheme here. My latest short film Stuck (starring Javicia Leslie and Hari Williams) has just completed our first leg of the festival tour. We premiered at Black Harvest Film Festival in Chicago to rave reviews. Followed up by a screening at Martha’s Vineyard African American Film Festival and DC Black Film Festival.  Up next for Stuck is the Urban Film Festival 2018 (Miami August 31-September 2)
Afrikana Film Festival (Richmond, VA Sept 13-16)
Montreal International Black Film Festival 2018 (September 26-30, 2018)
Greater Cleveland Urban Film Festival (Sept 22-28)
We placed 3rd in best short category in the Black Laurel Film Festival and will screen Oct 7th and 8th in Oakland.

From Scott Devine (MFA 93)- Since relocating last year from Los Angeles to Atlanta I've been producing EPK/Blu-ray & DVD content for films and TV shows shooting here in town. It's been a great opportunity exploring this growing market and also spending time with my immediate family (they all currently live in Atlanta). And now I’m happy to announce that I’ve accepted a full-time professor position at SCAD (Savannah College of Art & Design) starting this fall at their Atlanta campus.”

From Taylor Slingerland (BFA 13).    “I’m back for season 2 of Splitting Up Together as Assistant Property Master. We started shooting last week & it begins airing on ABC every Tuesday starting October 16th at 9:30/8:30 Central if you care to check it out!”

The first episode of Nikki Lee  (MFA 17) and Katherine Oostman's (MFA 17) podcast about filmmaking/FSU alums is up! It features an interview with Lucas Omar (MFA '17) on what it's like living in NYC, the first year after graduation, working on The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and creative self-care. There are two more parts to this first episode that feature alums who also graduated a year ago but live in ATL and LA. Those will be released soon!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-1-pt-1-a-year-in-new-york-city-feat-lucas-omar/id1414776042?i=1000417707187&mt=2<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__itunes.apple.com_us_podcast_episode-2D1-2Dpt-2D1-2Da-2Dyear-2Din-2Dnew-2Dyork-2Dcity-2Dfeat-2Dlucas-2Domar_id1414776042-3Fi-3D1000417707187-26mt-3D2&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=SSu1s93vvwgI0-0MsxPoQOTJgjLBfGDscxR04K68vwM&s=DjNZhsrfKShZ92com22rrOo-lIOo4vyBjA9tL0Fb7j0&e=>

From Andy Rogers (MFA Writing 18). “On my way to L.A. to start my internship at Zero Gravity Management, I received an update that my script, “Jackalopes,” has progressed to the Semifinals of the 2018 Academy Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting. I’m honored to be one of 151 scripts left in this competition, so here’s to hoping my script goes further!

From Sam Bellamy (MFA 18). “Happy to announce I just finished a few days freelancing (my first gig!) for a company called GammaRay, a subset of Skybound. I edited about 10 short-form social media videos for them for a few days as trial, which has already led to more freelancing days with them in the near future! I got this lead through one of our alums, so the FSU Family comes through once more..”

From Heather Gillman (MFA 11 ) “After two years in LA, I am missing the South too much, so I have decided to move to Atlanta or New Orleans in the next month. If anyone has any job leads in either city, I would sincerely appreciate an email with the info. Most recently, I have worked as an Associate Producer on a talk show and UPM on an indie feature. I would love to stay in that realm of AP, PM, PC. Thank you in advance! hdgillman at gmail.com<mailto:hdgillman at gmail.com>”

The Film " The Strike" is a 25 min Film , it was shot in 5 days event,
The Film story is about a Detective and Wife getting killed and 2 main Detectives Revenge their partner death by Finding the killer of their murder. These Villians are Drug Dealers retaliating against any Law..,
I need an Editor with 3 or 4 years experience of Editing.
This film was shot in 4K HD,
1. I need proper Transitions to tell the Story
2. Musical Score Thriller background,and Sound Effects.
3. Adding Muzzel Flashes for Guns,
4. And some Scenes Removal of some Corner Soft Boxes, Boom Mics or Reflections of Mirrors.
5. Do Not Shorten the Film , but keep the Film length to 25 min or longer.
Compasation --Credits for Film and Donation
Dead Line : No Later than 1st December 2018.
Contact : brucegardner1 at hotmail.com<mailto:brucegardner1 at hotmail.com>

Anyone looking for work in the  DC area?  This place is hiring. https://www.facebook.com/pg/freethepeople/jobs/605722779822075/?source=attached_post_group<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_pg_freethepeople_jobs_605722779822075_-3Fsource-3Dattached-5Fpost-5Fgroup&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=xIpHzcuwX3JVa7Cos0-8rp9kWVUsRgJBtEEOHh36rPc&m=B_PVaeb4z-ksRzvCtuqbHE88O3MuHMwpfzrx785OGMo&s=lHPJa1vkjrJhZxosin5O9BBs4I7KNWOyAxijt2jbGII&e=>

My name is Velson D’Souza and I’m one of the Producers of Blue Draft Screenwriting Contest, based in Los Angeles, CA.  Blue Draft Screenwriting Contest is an annual event dedicated to discovering new screenwriting talent from around the world and providing them with the opportunity to see their projects come to fruition. Selected short films and short digital series scripts will be developed to completion by a team of professional filmmakers and pitched for distribution to major players in the industry.  We are looking to help writers with an original voice bring their ideas out of the page and into the screen. For that reason the Blue Draft team would like to offer your current students and alumni a discount of 20% off the submission fee. Attached is a flyer and below is your discount code:   FSUFILM20.   More information on how to submit can be found at www.bluedraftcontest.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.bluedraftcontest.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=3gFsEbiO2KSUrPgw4wRH8Q&m=G54ro3mFAqVlt5_ouHDrQKI2v0wA9mEYM8vEfp2GUk0&s=MxsnzKrCFFO2inQkKh-hpsDzQKFjXst6EB6Sd8Mmprk&e=> or submit directly through FilmFreeway at https://filmfreeway.com/BlueDraftScreenwritingContest<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__filmfreeway.com_BlueDraftScreenwritingContest&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=3gFsEbiO2KSUrPgw4wRH8Q&m=G54ro3mFAqVlt5_ouHDrQKI2v0wA9mEYM8vEfp2GUk0&s=GknkOj1Ysd-fKtOyBewLbDMgLMl6tWkp1W0y5J7KWtQ&e=>

The 2018 Women in Animation Scholarship Program is Open for Submissions!  DEADLINE: September 30, 2018  WIA is pleased to announce our expanded Scholarship Program! Since its inception under the guidance of founding member Phyllis Craig, known for her commitment to young people interested in learning the art and techniques of animation, WIA has been supporting its future generations.   The new Women in Animation Scholarship will expand that commitment further, with the annual award going from one scholarship to five deserving animation students who demonstrate artistic talent, a passion for animation and promise for the future. Each scholarship award provides $1,000 per recipient. Our scholarship program is open to WIA student members only. Click here<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__womeninanimation.wildapricot.org_EmailTracker_LinkTracker.ashx-3FlinkAndRecipientCode-3DY6vrxlrsUE5BR1XmKbFMlF0btKL0Zik7D-252fbQhzdhOBwvaBdr6RA6MdS-252bZrauHexPLRJNRZVGxR1xA0q0L3g94IDVkScwqdu2KKq-252f4eQBOs4-253d&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=KulmtO1Ugv9HNRCqHBQiOrovSlWKK8iTv_D7p4neRsk&s=R15JGE2IegSg06RFRoXhkt7w5EMm1rAXcGtSNsNjC48&e=> to learn more and apply.

My name is Jason Richards and I'm looking for some help with an up coming project I'm putting together. This is a PAID opportunity and I am a Florida State Alum class of '09. It involves shooting multiple storylines for a rags to riches short film and I would love to hire some ambitious students from my Alma Mata! There is no sponsorship yet so payments and funding will be pretty tight but I feel that once we launch this idea, if executed correctly, it will generate a lot of attention. This would be a great final project for anyone in the arts department and all are welcome!! Please contact me at jasonrichards06x at gmail.com<mailto:jasonrichards06x at gmail.com> for any details and Go NOLES!!

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – August 23, 2018

Inked (BFA F3 2018 Kyra Gardner), A Dark Place (BFA F3 2018 David Kroonen) and Open Up (BFA F3 2018 Savannah Berube) were selected for screening at the Rendezvous Film Festival on Fernandina Beach, Florida, September 20-22. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.rendezvousfilmfestival.net/.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) was invited to screen at the opening night of Street Movies, an outdoor screening series in Philadelphia that starts on August 9. For more information about this series go to www.scribe.org<http://www.scribe.org/>.

Mama I Wanna March (MTH 2017 Malcolm Baity) and Sight (MTH 2017 Janeen Talbott) were selected for screening at the BronzeLens Film Festival in Atlanta, August 22-26. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.bronzelensfilmfestival.com/.

The Terrible Trio (MFA Thesis 2017 Rob Eaton) was selected for screening at the Montreal World Film Festival’s Student Film Festival in Canada, August 25-29. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.ffm-montreal.org<http://www.ffm-montreal.org/>.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Toronto Indie Horror Fest, August 29 – September 1. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.toindiehorrorfest.com/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) is nominated for Best Student Film in the Cult Critic Awards, September 1 in Calcutta, India. For more information about this festival and competition, go to http://hlc-cultcritic.com/cult-critic-movie-awards/.

The Wednesday Sessions (BFA F3 2017 Erin Smyth), The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien), Help Wanted (MFA D2 2017 Kennikki Jones) and The Art of Foley (MFA D2 2017 Sara Karimipour) were selected for screening at the Broad Humor Film Festival in Los Angeles, August 30 – September 2. For more information about this festival, go to www.broadhumor.com.

American Music (MFA D2 2017 Wesley Fleming) was selected for screening at the Urban Film Festival in Miami, August 31 – September 2. For more information about this festival, go to www.urbanfilmfestivals.com<http://www.urbanfilmfestivals.com/>.

Baphomet High (MFA D2 2017 Rebecca Raymond), Thump (BFA F3 2017 Ben Roth) and Connect (BFA Thesis 2017 Gabe Souza) and The Infamous Guy Christman (MFA D2 2017 Anthony DeNiro) were selected for screening at the Dragon Con Independent Short Film Festival in Atlanta, August 30 – September 3. For more information about this festival, go to http://filmfest.dragoncon.org<http://filmfest.dragoncon.org/>.

Ms. Omniscience (MFA D2 2017 Xiao Ma), If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena)  and Basics (BFA Thesis 2017 Spencer Smyth) were selected for screening at the Burbank International Film Festival, September 5-9. For more information about this festival, go to www.burbankfilmfestival.org<http://www.burbankfilmfestival.org/>.

Meat (BFA F3 2017 Vishesh Pires) and The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) were selected for screening at the All Genders, Lifestyles and Identities Film Festival (aGliff) in Austin, September 6-9. For more information about this festival, go to www.agliff.org.

Graveyard Shift (MFA D1 2017 Alex McFry), Still November (BFA F3 2017 Reid Lauff), Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller), Help Wanted (MFA D2 2017 Kennikki Jones), Howl at the Moon (BFA F3 2017 Arielle Cole) and The Infamous Guy Christman (MFA D2 2017 Anthony DeNiro) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival (CENFLO) in Mount Dora, Florida, September 7-9. Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller) and Help Wanted (MFA D2 2017 Kennikki Jones) are nominated for Best Student Film. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/>.

Red, White and Navy (BFA Documentary 2018 Royce Marnell) was selected for screening at the Documentary Short Film Festival in Missoula, Montana, September 4-18. For more information about this festival, go to https://theaudienceawards.com/the-audience-awards/2018-audfest-documentary-short-film-festival-46194.

Inked (BFA F3 2018 Kyra Gardner) and Help Wanted (MFA D2 2017 Kennikki Jones) were selected for screening at the Detroit Shetown Women’s Film Festival, September 13-16. For more information about this festival, go to www.detroitshetownfilmfestival.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.detroitshetownfilmfestival.com_&d=DwMF-g&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=xIpHzcuwX3JVa7Cos0-8rp9kWVUsRgJBtEEOHh36rPc&m=NYh993oAf2U40wEt5_QRSO0ATdBl5wTAlZlQ794wGJU&s=PMC0uz6wT3kiNKjpcpSIWi65CKbtrTd4B8uc4ep3TIk&e=>.

Help Wanted (MFA D2 2017 Kennikki Jones) and American Music (MFA D2 2017 Wesley Fleming) were selected for screening at the Austin Comedy Short Film Festival on September 16. For more information about this festival, go to https://austincomedyshortfilmfestival.com/

Maria (BFA F3 2017 Illiana Ipes) was selected for screening at the Global Peace Film Festival in Orlando, September 18-23. For more information about this festival, go to www.peacefilmfest.org<http://www.peacefilmfest.org/>.

Rigor Mortis (MFA Thesis 2017 Matthew Robinson), Basics (BFA Thesis 2017 Spencer Smyth), Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) and The Wednesday Sessions (BFA F3 2017 Erin Smyth) were selected for screening at the FilmQuest Festival in Salt Lake City, September 7-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmquestfestival.com.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien), Edgar & Ellie (MFA D2 2017 Jonpaul Rodriguez), Schwinging (MFA D2 2017 Dylan Zivitz) were selected for screening at the Austin Revolution Film Festival, September 17-22. The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) was nominated for Best University Film, Best Cinematography Short and the Rising Voice Award.  Edgar & Ellie (MFA D2 2017 Jonpaul Rodriguez) was nominated for Writer/Director of the Year, Rising Voices, Best University Film. Schwinging (MFA D2 2017 Dylan Zivitz) was nominated for Best Student Director of a Short, and Best Actor in a Student Short For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com<https://austinrevolution.com/>.

Sink or Swim (BFA Thesis 2017 Justin Burt) was selected for screening at the Austin Revolution Film Festival, September 17-22. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com<https://austinrevolution.com/>.

The Terrible Trio (MFA Thesis 2017 Rob Eaton) was selected for screening at the Jerome Indie Film & Music Festival in Jerome, Arizona, September 27-30. For more information about this festival, go to http://jeromefilmfestival.com/.

Mama I Wanna March (MTH 2017 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the Baltimore International Black Film Festival, October 2-8. For more information about this festival, go to www.bibff.com.

Reanimated (BFA Documentary 2018 Shae Demandt) is a Semi-Finalist in the Student Academy Awards competition. Winners will be announced in October. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.oscars.org/saa.

Sleeves (BFA Documentary 2018 Carrie Carusone) was selected for screening at the Fashion Film Festival Chicago on October 15. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.fashionfilmfestivalchicago.com/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen at the All Lights India International Film Festival in Hyderabad, India, December 1-4. For more information about this festival, go to http://aliiff.com<http://aliiff.com/>.