[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 8.9.18

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Aug 9 12:10:54 EDT 2018

We had an amazing KeyLight weekend, celebrating the graduation of the MFA Class of 2018.  Big thanks to alums Chris Amick (BFA 10),  Ryan Causey (BFA 06), Kris Eber (BFA 99), George Reasner (MFA 94) and Jon Swindall (MFA 01) who joined us for the weekend, spending endless time talking with students, sharing their journeys.  Several awards were given out during the Magic Hour dinner:

Pathfinder Award ($2,500) Kennikki Jones-Jones
Matthew Lopez Screenwriting Award ($2,500) Zoe DeLeon
Chip Chalmers Mentor Award ($2,500) Demetrius Martin
Power House Creative Space Award ($ 1,500 & 6 months in Powerhouse desk)- Laura Johnson
Turnbull Professionalism Award ($2,500) Samuel James Bellamy

Lauren Miller Rogen's (BFA 03) directorial debut 'Like Father' came out last week on Netflix! Learn more about how Lauren came to direct the film and how it's personal to her!  KT Comkowycz Moss (BFA 03) was a camera tech.   Lauren heard from Netflix on Monday and her movie already has over 10 million account views!  Lauren was director, writer, producer and even has a small part in the film.  Hope you will take time to read these two great articles:
https://www.indiewire.com/2018/08/like-father-filmmaker-lauren-miller-rogen-netflix-film-1201989980/    and https://www.indiewire.com/2018/08/like-father-filmmaker-lauren-miller-rogen-netflix-film-1201989980/

From Chris Alender (BFA 98). “Our feature film "The Wind" has been accepted into the Midnight Madness program at TIFF 2018. Created in part by many FSU grads including writer Teresa Sutherland (MFA 12), editor Alex Amick (BFA 10) , producer Christopher Alender, and the staff of Soapbox Films which has too many grads to count. The movie is about a woman on the American frontier who is haunted by demons both imagined and real. Fun fact: this whole thing started when Chris met Teresa at the 2012 MFA graduation ceremony. We're really excited about our world premiere on September 10 and hope to see more alums up in Toronto!”
From Luke Crowe (BFA 98)  “Got FSU a plug in Backstage's top-10 film-schools list in our print and digital Backstage Magazine editions:
http://issues.backstage.com/backstage-2018-08-02.pdf<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__issues.backstage.com_backstage-2D2018-2D08-2D02.pdf&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=xIpHzcuwX3JVa7Cos0-8rp9kWVUsRgJBtEEOHh36rPc&m=gKeN2XufBXr1Xgk5m4_FDv3qz-Kid81zfG_GWjc-HUY&s=sFwhKwQCAKFrK6hmxGxpdrOGXSsb08emVWlPf3t3WmY&e=> (see pages 18-19.  And we're included in the expanded top-26 list online:https://www.backstage.com/backstage-guides/26-film-schools-you-should-know<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.backstage.com_backstage-2Dguides_26-2Dfilm-2Dschools-2Dyou-2Dshould-2Dknow&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=xIpHzcuwX3JVa7Cos0-8rp9kWVUsRgJBtEEOHh36rPc&m=gKeN2XufBXr1Xgk5m4_FDv3qz-Kid81zfG_GWjc-HUY&s=qrkSv-guxCsDkBcLSd0T7X1CFysNbYUaQyJXOO7CNFg&e=>    I'm happy to extend the free-access code we'd set up for FSU film students to all FSU alumni as well. So anyone with an FSU history can cast their films via www.backstage.com/cast-your-project<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.backstage.com_cast-2Dyour-2Dproject&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=xIpHzcuwX3JVa7Cos0-8rp9kWVUsRgJBtEEOHh36rPc&m=gKeN2XufBXr1Xgk5m4_FDv3qz-Kid81zfG_GWjc-HUY&s=86TX6B6lEGW13qkIr7M6BDx78BYoTStpy5Y9-HWWJ38&e=> for free by entering FSUCAST at checkout when posting casting calls.).
From Kate Emery (MFA. 10). “I was the graphic designer on Season 3 of the Sundance Channel show Hap and Leonard, which premiered in March, and was the concept artist on the upcoming Tina Fey film, Wine Country. I am especially excited for the premiere of ABC's Lodge 49 on August 6. I created key artwork for the Lodge, a fraternal order based in Medieval alchemy. You can see my stained glass windows and tapestries throughout. I also did a 24"x36" painting around which much of the show's mystery revolves. Executive producer Paul Giamatti thanked me personally for elevating the show's visual design! Laurie Brookhardt (MFA '09) and Jamie MacDonald (MFA '12) also worked on Lodge 49. I'm currently creating concept art for the TV show The Passage, an apocalyptic sci-fi series with vampires.”

From Holly Pearson (BFA. 12). “So excited to share I got to associate direct Meredith Vieria’s new game show “25 Words or Less” Season 1 which is airing NOW or Fox TV!! Check it out if you have cable and want to laugh and get real word-witty!”

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – August 9, 2018

Howl at the Moon (BFA F3 2017 Arielle Cole) and The Infamous Guy Christman (MFA D2 2017 Anthony DeNiro) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival (CENFLO) in Mount Dora, Florida, September 7-9. For more information about this festival, go towww.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com>.

The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) was selected for screening in the August 10 edition of the New York No Limits Screening Series. For more information about this series, go tohttp://www.newyorknolimits.com/.

Help Wanted (MFA D2 2017 Kennikki Jones) and American Music (MFA D2 2017 Wesley Fleming) were selected for screening at the Austin Comedy Short Film Festival on September 16. For more information about this festival, go to https://austincomedyshortfilmfestival.com/

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) was invited to screen at the opening night of Street Movies, an outdoor screening series in Philadelphia that starts on August 9. For more information about this series go towww.scribe.org<http://www.scribe.org>.

Help Wanted (MFA D2 2017 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at the Trinity International Film Festival in Detroit, August 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to http://trinityinternationalfilmfest.blogspot.com/.

Mama I Wanna March (MTH 2017 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the Macon Film Festival, August 16-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.maconfilmfestival.com<http://www.maconfilmfestival.com>.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen and is a finalist at Les Femmes Underground Film Festival in Los Angeles on August 19. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.lesfemmesinternational.org/.

Ms. Omniscience (MFA D2 2017 Xiao Ma) is an official selection and a Semi-Finalist in the Los Angeles Independent Film Festival Awards. Winners will screen In LA on August 25, 2018. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.laiffawards.com.

Mama I Wanna March (MTH 2017 Malcolm Baity) and Sight (MTH 2017 Janeen Talbott) were selected for screening at the BronzeLens Film Festival in Atlanta, August 22-26. For more information about this festival, go tohttp://www.bronzelensfilmfestival.com/

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Toronto Indie Horror Fest, August 29 – September 1. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.toindiehorrorfest.com/.

The Wednesday Sessions (BFA F3 2017 Erin Smyth), The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien), Help Wanted (MFA D2 2017 Kennikki Jones) and The Art of Foley (MFA D2 2017 Sara Karimipour) were selected for screening at the Broad Humor Film Festival in Los Angeles, August 30 – September 2. For more information about this festival, go to www.broadhumor.com.

American Music (MFA D2 2017 Wesley Fleming) was selected for screening at the Urban Film Festival in Miami, August 31 – September 2. For more information about this festival, go to www.urbanfilmfestivals.com<http://www.urbanfilmfestivals.com>.

Baphomet High (MFA D2 2017 Rebecca Raymond), Thump (BFA F3 2017 Ben Roth) and Connect (BFA Thesis 2017 Gabe Souza) and The Infamous Guy Christman (MFA D2 2017 Anthony DeNiro) were selected for screening at the Dragon Con Independent Short Film Festival in Atlanta, August 30 – September 3. For more information about this festival, go to http://filmfest.dragoncon.org.

Ms. Omniscience (MFA D2 2017 Xiao Ma), If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena)  and Basics (BFA Thesis 2017 Spencer Smyth) were selected for screening at the Burbank International Film Festival, September 5-9. For more information about this festival, go to www.burbankfilmfestival.org<http://www.burbankfilmfestival.org>.

Meat (BFA F3 2017 Vishesh Pires) and The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) were selected for screening at the All Genders, Lifestyles and Identities Film Festival (aGliff) in Austin, September 6-9. For more information about this festival, go to www.agliff.org.

Graveyard Shift (MFA D1 2017 Alex McFry), Still November (BFA F3 2017 Reid Lauff), Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller) and Help Wanted (MFA D2 2017 Kennikki Jones) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival (CENFLO) in Mount Dora, Florida, September 7-9. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com>.

Inked (BFA F3 2018 Kyra Gardner) and Help Wanted (MFA D2 2017 Kennikki Jones) were selected for screening at the Detroit Shetown Women’s Film Festival, September 13-16. For more information about this festival, go towww.detroitshetownfilmfestival.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.detroitshetownfilmfestival.com_&d=DwMF-g&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=xIpHzcuwX3JVa7Cos0-8rp9kWVUsRgJBtEEOHh36rPc&m=NYh993oAf2U40wEt5_QRSO0ATdBl5wTAlZlQ794wGJU&s=PMC0uz6wT3kiNKjpcpSIWi65CKbtrTd4B8uc4ep3TIk&e=>.

Maria (BFA F3 2017 Illiana Ipes) was selected for screening at the Global Peace Film Festival in Orlando, September 18-23. For more information about this festival, go to www.peacefilmfest.org<http://www.peacefilmfest.org>.

Rigor Mortis (MFA Thesis 2017 Matthew Robinson), Basics (BFA Thesis 2017 Spencer Smyth), Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) and The Wednesday Sessions (BFA F3 2017 Erin Smyth) were selected for screening at the FilmQuest Festival in Salt Lake City, September 7-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmquestfestival.com.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien), Edgar & Ellie (MFA D2 2017 Jonpaul Rodriguez), Schwinging (MFA D2 2017 Dylan Zivitz) were selected for screening at the Austin Revolution Film Festival, September 17-22. The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) was nominated for Best University Film, Best Cinematography Short and the Rising Voice Award.  Edgar & Ellie (MFA D2 2017 Jonpaul Rodriguez) was nominated for Writer/Director of the Year, Rising Voices, Best University Film.Schwinging (MFA D2 2017 Dylan Zivitz) was nominated for Best Student Director of a Short, and Best Actor in a Student Short For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com.

Sink or Swim (BFA Thesis 2017 Justin Burt) was selected for screening at the Austin Revolution Film Festival, September 17-22. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com.

Reanimated (BFA Documentary 2018 Shae Demandt) is a Semi-Finalist in the Student Academy Awards competition. Winners will be announced in October. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.oscars.org/saa.

Sleeves (BFA Documentary 2018 Carrie Carusone) was selected for screening at the Fashion Film Festival Chicago on October 15. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.fashionfilmfestivalchicago.com/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen at the All Lights India International Film Festival in Hyderabad, India, December 1-4. For more information about this festival, go to http://aliiff.com.