[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 7.27.18

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Aug 2 14:07:57 EDT 2018

[cid:image001.png at 01D425B6.F1894DD0]

Come join us to watch the thesis films from the MFA class of 2018!  Free and open to the public at Ruby Diamond Auditorium.   Different films will be screened in the afternoon at 2:30 and in the evening at 8:30.

Our first-year MFA students have been working hard all summer to make twenty-two amazing films, and you can see them all at their premiere tonight at 7pm at the SLC! Films include a space-themed road trip adventure, family dramas with strong female leads, LGBT+ characters, Latinx experiences, nervous lifeguards, and a film about an orange (yes - an orange!). These are just a few of the films that will screen tonight, so you don't want to miss it!

Barry Jenkins<https://variety.com/t/barry-jenkins/> (BFA 03)  unveiled an intense first look at his adaptation of James Baldwin<https://variety.com/t/james-baldwin/>’s novel “If Beale Street Could Talk<https://variety.com/t/if-beale-street-could-talk/>” on what would have been the author’s 94th birthday.  Read the Variety  article and see the trailer at https://variety.com/2018/film/news/barry-jenkins-if-beale-street-could-talk-trailer-1202893274/

From Marc Ostroff (BFA 97). “About a month ago, I left my executive finance position at Digital Domain to join the production finance ranks at Netflix in the growing Kids & Family area of the business and more specifically, animation. Lots of exciting stuff happening right now, but unfortunately most of it I can’t talk about (yet!)  One project I can talk about is the Glen Keane-directed animated feature musical adventure Over The Moon, which is about a girl who builds a rocket ship and blasts off to the moon in hopes of meeting a legendary Moon Goddess. The film will be released in 2020, theatrically in China, and to Netflix members around the world.  Many other exciting projects happening here as well that I’m involved with, can’t wait to share with everyone later on.”

Tony Gardner the founder of Alterian, which specializes in the design and creation of animatronic and prosthetic makeup effects, is also the father Kyra Gardner (BFA 19). Last week Tony presented a workshop for the MFA 1 and BFA 2 students.  Tony is the creator of the Chucky Doll and has done makeup for many major movies including Hairspray, Jackass, Zombieland.    He demonstrated makeup techniques, including wounds, aging, bruising, and provided each of the students with  makeup kits.  We can’t wait to have him back!

From Patrick Alexander (MFA 06). “I’m thrilled to announce I will teach screenwriting at Ringling College of Art & Design this Fall semester and then direct the feature film, HOMEWRECKER, in Sarasota, Florida during the winter break. Will definitely be reaching out to FSU alumni around the Southeast about crewing up on the feature in Dec-Jan. Stay tuned for more updates. Gonna be a busy 6 months! “

From Kelly Rouse (BFA 96). “ I’m doing programming for the Sunscreen Film Festival and we’d love to have Noles submit to our 14th Annual fest, that would be great! Our website is www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=N36TPfg2SwzdVSVxhXnj-qtjZFZNk6ED1lIvElqXOR0&s=TOEd1gmXnN2H0giZT74p_kjunEL4nBtYt3kP7fxgWlE&e=>. Submissions open in October.”

From Michael Felker (BFA 10). “This past July has been insanely busy. A couple of months ago I announced the launch of Last Life, a production company that specializes in making films inspired by video games and other pop-culture inspired passions. Our first short film “Save and Continue” premiered at LA Shorts International Film Festival just this past weekend. It was huge turnout in North Hollywood and the movie played extremely well in front of an engaged audience. A ton of FSU alum worked on the film: co-produced by Shane Spiegel (11), shot by Andrew Penczner (BFA 10) , costume designed by Christopher Oroza (BFA 10), gaffed by Aaron Pagniano (BFA 12) and PA’d by Lily Ziegler (BFA 17).  Right before the premiere of that film, we shot our second short film out in Palm Springs called “Would You Like To Try Again?” It was a fun but hot desert shoot that also had a bunch of FSU crew killing it out there. It was co-produced again by Shane Spiegel (BFA 11) , shot by Carrisa Dorson (BFA 11)  production designed by Caitlin Williams (BFA 10) , 1st AD’d by Lily Ziegler (BFA 17) , costume designed again by Christopher Oroza (BFA 10)  and gaffed again by Aaron Pagniano (BFA 12) . It’s currently being edited by Rebeca Marques (BFA 10) . I couldn’t have done either film without my awesome FSU buds and other fantastic non-FSU crew. You can read about each film at our website: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.lastlifefilms.com&d=DwIFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=UwR2pD9O1T8qtMlz1SzDYMcMxOr-xMVB2vVq6_auoTQ&s=-rBcpbvBYZYLQBp2mERvwGTWul9oQsMVsq6pNlKR-Zg&e=
On top of all that, I proposed the co-founder of Last Life and girlfriend of three years, Jori Richman (from USC film. Don’t hold it against her ;) ). And on top of that, a feature script I wrote “The Pixel Edge” was a Script Pipeline finalist for this year’s screenwriting competition. It was developed in our mostly FSU alum writer’s group, The Feature Farm (founded by Christopher Amick ( BFA 10) ). Special thanks to FSU alum Simone Lapidus (BFA 11) , Logan Reese(BFA 11)   and Joy Fox for getting that script into tip top shape.  It’s amazing I was able to still go to Comic-Con too during all of that. But it all culminated together after a ton of hard work the past couple of years and help from awesome collaborators from the crazy pan-handle state in the south.”

From Melina Valdez (BFA ADA 17). “I was accepted into an intensive workshop at AFI (for women)  so I’m  headed to LA for the first time and I can finally have an unbiased opinion on it, maybe I won't hate it after all. “

From Ryan O’Connell (MFA.09). “The Virus has been selected to screen at The Second Place theater in Litchfield Park, AZ as part of their monthly short film showcase! The event is this Saturday at 7pm and includes four quality short films and live music. Tickets are $10. (www.seconplacefilms.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__l.facebook.com_l.php-3Fu-3Dhttp-253A-252F-252Fwww.seconplacefilms.com-252F-26h-3DAT3M4XIwq9-2DV9YzKjgV4OUFTuGmsmH7Ox4dGaeTWo2S-2DFp7U58KQi0WoP-2Dt0TV4PQbUrF7Os28k5B9FpazXGp4K8O7-5FnK3DXBmYKZK8HGUEyF24drwE8WLHWsCntgWUGYGU91Lsq2j4XzzmyUpqf8js&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=Cac_5HBWGeHnViICqKn_jExdK9RaKzdEAl5CR8ZA_sA&s=iIs0kMUdX2qFeHEN34odTii2qxXFzroLGjtgdg0Fkbc&e=>) I will be there to introduce the film and do a brief Q&A afterward.”
DreamWorks Animation’s Talent Acquisitions, Artist Management and Diversity & Inclusion teams are collaborating to launch the Artist Development Program, a unique opportunity inclusively targeting underrepresented groups.  The Program: DreamWorks Animation is seeking artists for a new Artist Development Program at the studio in Glendale, CA. If you have had limited opportunities to grow your animation experience, if you are re-entering the workforce after an extended period of time off, or have studied Film/Cinema, Animation, Art, or a related focus please submit your application by August 19, 2018. Participants will build upon their current experience in this 12-week program with hands-on training in one of the following production departments: Animation, Character Effects, Character Technical Direction, Lighting, Pre-visualization / Layout, Final Layout and Surfacing to prepare them for an assignment on an animated film at DreamWorks.  The 12-week program will immerse participants in a full-time production environment where DreamWorks’ artists mentor them to polish their skills to be production ready. Upon completion of the 12 weeks, successful artists will be cast on a production crew.  The Artists will:
- Work at a world-class studio and use cutting-edge tools
- Contribute to a collaborative environment
- Develop artistic work flows and problem-solving skills to meet production expectations
We seek a broad spectrum of candidates with a passion for animation and unique multicultural perspectives. With an emphasis on inclusion, this program is open to all eligible applicants. Application Deadline: August 19, 2018, 12:59am Pacific Standard Time     Program Start Date: October 2018 Click here to learn more: http://www.creativeheads.net/job/19585/cfx-artist-artist-development-program-in-glendale

LA based management/production company with an A-list roster seeks Fall interns to start in August/September 2018. Responsibilities include: script coverage, answering phones, rolling calls, covering desks, errand runs, admin support, and research. Interns will take on the role of receptionist which will require great communication skills, quick thinking, and a concrete knowledge of our clients. Candidates should have a strong interest in the Film & TV Industry. This is a great opportunity to learn the ins and outs of the industry and learn about talent representation. Please only apply if you can receive school credit. Please send resumes to colin at mgmt-entertainment.com<mailto:colin at mgmt-entertainment.com>

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – August 2, 2018

AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) won Best Short Film at the inaugural Augusta Indie Film Festival on July 22nd. For more information about this festival, go tohttp://www.1accordmedia.com/.

Inked (BFA F3 2018 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Midsummer Scream Halloween and Horror Convention in Long Beach, California, July 28-29. For more information about this festival, go to http://midsummerscream.org/.

Thump (BFA F3 2017 Ben Roth) and Connect (BFA Thesis 2017 Gabe Souza) were selected for screening at the Dragon Con Independent Short Film Festival in Atlanta, August 30 – September 3. For more information about this festival, go to http://filmfest.dragoncon.org.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) was invited to screen at the opening night of Street Movies, an outdoor screening series in Philadelphia that starts on August 9. For more information about this series go to www.scribe.org<http://www.scribe.org>.

Inked (BFA F3 2018 Kyra Gardner) and Help Wanted (MFA D2 2017 Kennikki Jones) were selected for screening at the Detroit Shetown Women’s Film Festival, September 13-16. For more information about this festival, go to www.detroitshetownfilmfestival.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.detroitshetownfilmfestival.com_&d=DwMF-g&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=xIpHzcuwX3JVa7Cos0-8rp9kWVUsRgJBtEEOHh36rPc&m=NYh993oAf2U40wEt5_QRSO0ATdBl5wTAlZlQ794wGJU&s=PMC0uz6wT3kiNKjpcpSIWi65CKbtrTd4B8uc4ep3TIk&e=>.

Graveyard Shift (MFA D1 2017 Alex McFry), Still November (BFA F3 2017 Reid Lauff), Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller) and Help Wanted (MFA D2 2017 Kennikki Jones) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival (CENFLO) in Mount Dora, Florida, September 7-9. For more information about this festival, go towww.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com>.

Love is Blind (MFA D1 2016 Jonas Schubach) was selected for screening at the Reading Fringe Film Festival in Reading, England, July 24-29. For more information about this festival, go to http://readingfringefestival.co.uk/.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) was invited to a special Afrofuturism screening of the Chicago Filmmakers organization on July 28. For more information about this screening, go tohttps://www.chicagofilmmakers.org/screenings/2755<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.chicagofilmmakers.org_screenings_2755&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=xIpHzcuwX3JVa7Cos0-8rp9kWVUsRgJBtEEOHh36rPc&m=PACriz3q-Mkdq_z7JLKfFEUD1kpXwmbjHFCoVFNmkFM&s=1t0DEaHDZNYS7CQ_bxfaZFVBW5fCfHGe6iCW0NdWrRI&e=>.

Inked (BFA F3 2018 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Hollywood Horrorfest, July 28-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.hollywoodhorrorfest.com<http://www.hollywoodhorrorfest.com>.

Killer Kart (MFA Thesis 2012 J Feeney) was invited to screen at the Summer Film School Film Festival in Uherské Hradiště, Czech Republic, July 27 – August 5. For more information about this festival, go to https://en.lfs.cz/.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) and Basics (BFA Thesis 2017 Spencer Smyth) were selected for screening at the Gen Con Indy Film Festival in Indianapolis, August 2-5. For more information about this festival, go towww.gencon.com<http://www.gencon.com>.

Underground Tantrum (BFA Documentary 2017 Cristy Trabada) and The Funk Doctor (MFA D2 2017 Demetrius Martin) were selected for screening at the Hip Hop Film Festival in New York City, August 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to https://hiphopfilmfestival.org/.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) was selected for screening at the BlackStar Film Festival in Philadelphia, August 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.blackstarfest.org.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) was selected for screening at the Taiwanese American Film Festival in Los Angeles, August 3-4. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.taff.la.

AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) was selected for screening at the Something Wicked Film Festival in Forest Park, Georgia, August 3-5. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.somethingwickedfilmfestival.com/.

Help Wanted (MFA D2 2017 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at the Trinity International Film Festival in Detroit, August 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to http://trinityinternationalfilmfest.blogspot.com/.

Mama I Wanna March (MTH 2017 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the Macon Film Festival, August 16-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.maconfilmfestival.com<http://www.maconfilmfestival.com>.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen and is a finalist at Les Femmes Underground Film Festival in Los Angeles on August 19. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.lesfemmesinternational.org/.

Ms. Omniscience (MFA D2 2017 Xiao Ma) is an official selection and a Semi-Finalist in the Los Angeles Independent Film Festival Awards. Winners will screen In LA on August 25, 2018. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.laiffawards.com.

Mama I Wanna March (MTH 2017 Malcolm Baity) and Sight (MTH 2017 Janeen Talbott) were selected for screening at the BronzeLens Film Festival in Atlanta, August 22-26. For more information about this festival, go tohttp://www.bronzelensfilmfestival.com/

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Toronto Indie Horror Fest, August 29 – September 1. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.toindiehorrorfest.com/.

The Wednesday Sessions (BFA F3 2017 Erin Smyth), The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien), Help Wanted (MFA D2 2017 Kennikki Jones) and The Art of Foley (MFA D2 2017 Sara Karimipour) were selected for screening at the Broad Humor Film Festival in Los Angeles, August 30 – September 2. For more information about this festival, go to www.broadhumor.com.

American Music (MFA D2 2017 Wesley Fleming) was selected for screening at the Urban Film Festival in Miami, August 31 – September 2. For more information about this festival, go to www.urbanfilmfestivals.com<http://www.urbanfilmfestivals.com>.

Baphomet High (MFA D2 2017 Rebecca Raymond) and The Infamous Guy Christman (MFA D2 2017 Anthony DeNiro) were selected for screening at the Dragon Con Independent Short Film Festival in Atlanta, August 30 – September 3. For more information about this festival, go to http://filmfest.dragoncon.org.

Ms. Omniscience (MFA D2 2017 Xiao Ma), If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena)  and Basics (BFA Thesis 2017 Spencer Smyth) were selected for screening at the Burbank International Film Festival, September 5-9. For more information about this festival, go to www.burbankfilmfestival.org<http://www.burbankfilmfestival.org>.

Meat (BFA F3 2017 Vishesh Pires) was selected for screening at the All Genders, Lifestyles and Identities Film Festival (aGliff) in Austin, September 6-9. For more information about this festival, go to www.agliff.org.

The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) was selected for screening at the All Genders, Lifestyles and Identities Film Festival (aGliff) in Austin, September 6-9. For more information about this festival, go towww.agliff.org<http://www.agliff.org>.

Maria (BFA F3 2017 Illiana Ipes) was selected for screening at the Global Peace Film Festival in Orlando, September 18-23. For more information about this festival, go to www.peacefilmfest.org<http://www.peacefilmfest.org>.

Rigor Mortis (MFA Thesis 2017 Matthew Robinson), Basics (BFA Thesis 2017 Spencer Smyth), Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) and The Wednesday Sessions (BFA F3 2017 Erin Smyth) were selected for screening at the FilmQuest Festival in Salt Lake City, September 7-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmquestfestival.com.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien), Edgar & Ellie (MFA D2 2017 Jonpaul Rodriguez), Schwinging (MFA D2 2017 Dylan Zivitz) were selected for screening at the Austin Revolution Film Festival, September 17-22. The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) was nominated for Best University Film, Best Cinematography Short and the Rising Voice Award.  Edgar & Ellie (MFA D2 2017 Jonpaul Rodriguez) was nominated for Writer/Director of the Year, Rising Voices, Best University Film.Schwinging (MFA D2 2017 Dylan Zivitz) was nominated for Best Student Director of a Short, and Best Actor in a Student Short For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com.

Sink or Swim (BFA Thesis 2017 Justin Burt) was selected for screening at the Austin Revolution Film Festival, September 17-22. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com.

Reanimated (BFA Documentary 2018 Shae Demandt) is a Semi-Finalist in the Student Academy Awards competition. Winners will be announced in October. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.oscars.org/saa.

Sleeves (BFA Documentary 2018 Carrie Carusone) was selected for screening at the Fashion Film Festival Chicago on October 15. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.fashionfilmfestivalchicago.com/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen at the All Lights India International Film Festival in Hyderabad, India, December 1-4. For more information about this festival, go to http://aliiff.com.