[Film-bfad2] [Film-bfad] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 4.12.18

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Apr 12 14:27:36 EDT 2018

[cid:image001.png at 01D3D26A.668FC1E0]

Link:http://atlantafilmfestival.com/   Details: Wednesday, April 18th @ 8:30pm Free with RSVP (on festival website).  No post screening reception planned.  The 42nd annual Atlanta Film Festival takes place April 13 - 22, 2018. Showcasing diverse feature and short films and connecting audiences to filmmakers from around the world.

[cid:image002.png at 01D3D26A.668FC1E0]

Also in cooperation with Pinewood and the Atlanta Film Festival will be our second Atlanta Film Forum with a “Very Special Surprise Guest” arranged by Frank Patterson (Pinewood). Date and time: Tuesday, April 17, Hill Auditorium at the Woodruff Center located at 1280 Peachtree St. NE. Starting at 6pm, reception to follow at 7:30pm. Forum is open to the public as part of the Atlanta Film Festival http://atlantafilmfestival.com/

We’ll have a great group of Film School folks driving up for the events:  Dean Reb Braddock, Assistant Dean Tony Ciarlarielo, Festivals and Events Coordinator Brenda Mills, Acting Faculty Erika Stone, Reb’s right hand Sabrina Reisinger and me.  Hopefully we can catch up with lots of alums at one of the events, but if you want to talk with one of us outside the events, text me at 850 524 0063 and I’ll get something set up.  We’ll be staying at the Marriott Marquis.

“Life and Nothing More,” is the latest film by Antonio Méndez Esparza, filmmaker and professor at FSU’s College of Motion Picture Arts. Filmed in Tallahassee during the 2016 Presidential Elections, “Life and Nothing More” boasts a cast of all non-professional actors. The film was awarded the John Cassavetes Award at the 2018 Independent Spirit Awards. It premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival and has toured through a number of A-list International Film festivals, including San Sebastian, Tokyo, Rome, Sao Paulo, Chicago, Morelia, and Thessaloniki. It was selected as the opening film in New York for the prestigious Film Comment Selects. Antonio Méndez Esparza received a Guggenheim Grant and Florida Council for the Arts Grant to develop the film.  Saturday, April 14, 2018, 7:30 PM, Askew Student Life Cinema<https://openingnights.fsu.edu/venues/askew-student-life-cinema/>.  Tickets are still available at https://tickets.fsu.edu/openingnights/Online/

From Aaron Moorhead (BFA 08)  “The Endless comes to theatres in LA and NY this weekend, and begins a nationwide expansion right after. I love this film with my entire soul. If I can convince/beg anyone to see with one sentence, I'd say It currently has a 100% on RottenTomatoes with 35 reviews, and we're clutching onto that with our bloody fingernails as long as we can: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_endless<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.rottentomatoes.com_m_the-5Fendless&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=c7EFQZ_2cMEzGyNpY31SOV_t4Wep9Q3eTMSXuwQJ1jw&s=T0w1BbPR9bT7_L5oIAvchN84_6e11xMN1Qjd6_EWxZs&e=> . My pseudo-brother Justin Benson and I were co-directors/producers/editors/lead actors in this thing, and I was the DP and lead VFX artist as well. The credits are riddled with FSU Alums: Michael Felker (editor) (BFA 10), Will Sampson (Operator)(BFA 09) , Erica Chan (AC/VFX) (MFA 15) , Bryn Hubbard (Field Mixer) (MFA 13), Lexa Payne (2AC) (BFA 12), Paul Tackett (Swing/BCam) (MFA 15) , Shane Brady (Actor), Brian Barrow (BFA 09) (Colorist).  We're lucky enough to have an actual theatrical distribution, so it's not on-demand/VOD for a few more months. Only in theatres.  For indie films, opening weekends are INCREDIBLY important, far more than the following weeks. So, if I can ask any of you to see the film sooner rather than later (use your MoviePass!), it makes all the difference in the world. You can find theatres here -- it's currently listing about 40 cities, but we're hoping to add a few hundred more in the coming weeks: https://www.theendless-movie.com/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.theendless-2Dmovie.com_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=c7EFQZ_2cMEzGyNpY31SOV_t4Wep9Q3eTMSXuwQJ1jw&s=ayN-ZvPoHQ07eqBNkEi5i2ukmk95qx8msdQtTiIThMo&e=> . Thanks for everything FSU, and thanks Meryl!”

From Miguel Nolla (BFA  05)  “I sold a pilot!  http://deadline.com/2018/01/selena-quintanilla-tv-series-pilot-abc-inspired-by-legacy-1202240145/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__deadline.com_2018_01_selena-2Dquintanilla-2Dtv-2Dseries-2Dpilot-2Dabc-2Dinspired-2Dby-2Dlegacy-2D1202240145_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=g67XJTXVvWp1LbdqBL5jcBlBRJibli_aK2oZY0sFoBQ&s=afpNfxOCA8fENPHtLESU8fShZjMRH4YDaoYjJ9gWpL4&e=> “

Great article at IFF Panama: ’Moonlight’ Co-producer Andrew Hevia (BFA 06) : ‘Filmmaking Requires a Start-up Mentality’ that every young filmmaker should read! http://variety.com/2018/film/festivals/iff-panama-moonlight-coproducer-andrew-hevia-1202748930/

From David Wiley (MFA 08) “Great News from Equipment Room! This is Student Employee Week at universities across the nation!  Who Knew?  I understand that may not be enough to get folks to stand up and shout but let me finish, (Even Kanye would do that.) One of our student employees, Wyatt Harrell, has received the prestigious Tony DiBenedetto Undergraduate Student Employee of the Year Award.  This award is presented to one undergraduate and one graduate FSU student employee whose work demonstrates excellence in professionalism, initiative, customer service and critical thinking.   This is the 4th year for this set of awards for which 80 students were nominated.   Many of our recent graduates may remember Wyatt's very large role in the creation of the Equipment Room Hub<http://fsufilm.weebly.com/>.  That was his first contribution to the College when he was merely high school student.  Since then, Wyatt has continued to make himself a valued resource within our department and the College as a whole.  We simply want to give a BIG SHOUT OUT to Wyatt Harrell and the rest of the student employees that help us to get the job done!”

From Thomas Jackson (MFA 97)  “After over two years of production and a year of editing, I'm excited to announce that we have a full first cut (around 98 mins) of our feature documentary, “A Prayer for Compassion.” There's still a lot of work ahead, but I thought I'd take a moment to be grateful for the journey so far.”

HBO ANNOUNCES TOP 20 SEMI-FINALISTS FOR THE 2018 HBOACCESS DIRECTING FELLOWSHIP and included in this group are Erika Bagnarello (MFA 06) and Carey Williams (MFA 00).  HBO received over 1,000 submissions when it opened its application portal in February.  Candidates advancing to the final round will be notified on April 16th. Those selected to participate in the program will be selected by May 4th.

From Courtney Harmstone (BFA 12)  “Jellyfish, an Independent British Feature Film I worked on as Production Manager is premiering at Tribeca!! It’s playing Friday 20th at 9:15 PM, but it sold out within 30 minutes! While you can't buy tickets online for the Friday or Saturday screening, you can still try your luck at the cinema. There are also three other screenings throughout the festival. I will be in NYC for the premiere on the Friday, and would love to meet up with some alums on Saturday! Please feel free to email me if you're around or message me on facebook :) Excited! Email: chharmstone at gmail.com<mailto:chharmstone at gmail.com>"

From Jacqueline Stein (BFA  00)  “I just started in the mailroom at William Morris Endeavor. I'm so grateful to be working in such a productive, high-energy, educational environment.”

So last week I posted this but omitted some of the critical info!  From Kelsey Scott:  “ I'm always elated to artistically reunite with fellow alumni. And this collaboration with Carey Williams (MFA 00) and James Bland (FAMU) is particularly close to my heart. If you haven't experienced this audacious story of millennial navigation, treat yourself to a binge. Either way, please find your way to episode 205 - expertly directed by Carey, and featuring a character I portray.”    The series is called "Giants" and streams on Issa Rae's YouTube channel. Last week, it took home Best Drama Series, Best Writing Drama and Best Original Song at the 9th Annual Indie Series Awards. Carey Williams also directed episode 206 of the award-winning series. And, speaking of awards...Carey's short "Emergency" won the Narrative Shorts Award at this year's SXSW!

From April Billingsley (BFA 06)  “So excited I have permission to share with you this quick clip of my character in #TheDarkRed<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_hashtag_thedarkred-3Fsource-3Dfeed-5Ftext&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=AzynLphcH3-Zt0ZLvSWw8HC6A8sc19HiwnskjsuapL8&s=JGjH0JNTrXYxNeBr19tSyHNoLFHRrbv9CEgB2BYikhI&e=> https://vimeo.com/263066427  with the amazing Kelsey Scott. I can’t wait to share more of this film with you guys! Dan Bush directing Victoria K. Warren cinematographing.”

From Corey Crumpacker (BFA  15)  “Tallahassee locals! I’ve been working for the last year and half getting my first post-grad film off the ground and it’s finally coming to fruition. Someone is very kindly hosting a Cocktail Hour event at their home in Moore Pond (Northside/Ox Bottom area) this Thursday from 5:30-7:30pm for me to share my vision and I would love to see you there. Upon completion, the film is going to be released under the Children’s Miracle Network banner and be used to help tell their story at fundraising events across the country.
Here is a short teaser trailer: https://youtu.be/Ups_UbP-OqE<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__llink.to_-3Fu-3Dhttps-3A__youtu.be_Ups-5FUbP-2DOqE-26e-3Da6b290e40134c23890ef05c06dce0943&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=q9uTLfBmzwboeZxiw2VGlY8GrtbiyplmMzxLaknLovY&m=WCZj0rnau5jZU_XeGthv_wjtebBzlp2xAAj5-M6Ma6o&s=pB6gunLa2W5cWMwO9eWpNP3khbTgSYHzMwv24OYetiQ&e=>
Here is the website for more info: http://www.forthekidsmusicproject.com/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__llink.to_-3Fu-3Dhttp-3A__www.forthekidsmusicproject.com_-26e-3Da6b290e40134c23890ef05c06dce0943&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=q9uTLfBmzwboeZxiw2VGlY8GrtbiyplmMzxLaknLovY&m=WCZj0rnau5jZU_XeGthv_wjtebBzlp2xAAj5-M6Ma6o&s=ctjmFBLKH_T_dY9wfd54Krc2OCEG9xogW9t4iC2VXKw&e=>
And here’s the invitation for more information: http://www.forthekidsmusicproject.com/fundraiser_invitation.pdf<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__llink.to_-3Fu-3Dhttp-3A__www.forthekidsmusicproject.com_fundraiser-5Finvitation.pdf-26e-3Da6b290e40134c23890ef05c06dce0943&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=q9uTLfBmzwboeZxiw2VGlY8GrtbiyplmMzxLaknLovY&m=WCZj0rnau5jZU_XeGthv_wjtebBzlp2xAAj5-M6Ma6o&s=E-O2tplMmsRLSmSiiZ8qxM_aDj-3O7dgg5_g62OI45I&e=>
If you’re interested, shoot me a text at 850-879-0195 and I’ll put you on the guest list. Thanks so much and hope to see you Thursday!

From Donna Wheeler (MFA  91)  “Hiring L.A.- based Asst to Producer/Asst to Director Intern with some film production background and experience to assist Producer/Director in prep for upcoming indie feature film shoot. Length: 2 week term, Mon- Fri, flexible hours, there is pay. Great for sharp, precise, level headed, efficient, production assistant/recent grad/producing or directing focused individual ready to step up. Ability to handle day to day production office needs, duties and tasks during prep, range of skills and credits, some knowledge of hands on preproduction industry experience, able to complete tasks that go into getting features into production. -Attention to detail, -film production background, training and education, -spotless follow-through are all musts.   Resumes/referrals get in touch asap   xfilmmakerdonna at gmail.com<mailto:xfilmmakerdonna at gmail.com>  Thanks!

SHIFT -- home of media management tools MediaSilo and Wiredrive -- is excited to announce a brand new grant program for independent filmmakers. The SHIFT Creative Fund will be awarding three narrative short film projects with a prize package that includes $30,000 each, access to a creative working space in our Los Angeles offices, access to the SHIFT Airstream trailer for mobile production, and consultations with creative partners across the production industry. It is our mission to inspire and empower the next generation of filmmakers, and give them the tools they need to reach their creative goals.  The SHIFT Creative Fund will be accepting applications from May 1st - May 31st, with awarded filmmakers being announced on June 30th. We are seeking second or third time filmmakers who have made at least one film project before. Student filmmakers are more than welcome, but must be over 18 years old and the project cannot be associated with a specific class or school assignment.  Learn more about the SHIFT Creative Fund here, and sign up to receive a reminder e-mail when applications open: https://shift.io/creativefund/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__shift.io_creativefund_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=EWwSvIyV2Ef7OTdKL_s7b5DjH1HgSa5I-_BU0_MuJ8g&s=_dNaPwXfhzkRVE1UmVTDoYgRx8Bi4NzikGT_-SdPaAY&e=>

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – April 12, 2018

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) and Ms. Omniscience (MFA D2 2017 Xiao Ma) are semi-finalists at the International New York Film Festival in New York City, June 15-16. For more information about this festival go to www.inyfilmfest.com.

Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller), Morning Light Seems the Brightest (BFA F3 2016 Melina Valdez) and Underground Tantrum (BFA Documentary 2017 Christy Trabada) were selected for screening at the Vero Beach Wine + Film Festival, June 7-10. For more information about this festival, go to http://vbwff.com/.

Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart) and Ruckzuck (BFA Documentary 2017 Jacqueline Xerri) were selected for screening at the American Documentary Film Festival in Palm Springs, California, April 6-12. For more information about this festival, go to www.americandocumentaryfilmfestival.com.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Cleveland International Film Festival, April 4-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.clevelandfilm.org<http://www.clevelandfilm.org/>.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the WideScreen Film & Video Festival in Miami, April 13-15. For more information about this festival, go to http://widescreenfest.com<http://widescreenfest.com/>.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) was selected for screening at the Through Women’s Eyes Film Festival, which runs as part of the Sarasota Film Festival, April 14-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.throughwomenseyes.com<http://www.throughwomenseyes.com/>.

The Stranger (MFA Thesis 2017 Katherine Oostman), Mama I Wanna March (MFA Thesis 2017 Malcolm Baity), Thump (BFA F3 2017 Ben Roth), Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart), If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) were awarded Best of Brouhaha at the Brouhaha Film & Video Showcase in Orlando, November 18-19, and will screen in a special sidebar at the Florida Film Festival, April 6-15. For more information about the Florida Film Festival, go to www.floridafilmfestival.com<http://www.floridafilmfestival.com/>

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 Yue Cheng Liu) was selected for screening at the Crossroads Film Festival in Jackson, Mississippi, April 12-15. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.crossroadsfilmfestival.com/.

Everybody Loves a Panda (MFA D2 2017 Brandon Shenk) was selected for screening at the International Changing Perspectives Film Festival in Istanbul, Turkey, April 10-15. For more information about this festival, go to http://icpsff.com<http://icpsff.com/>.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien), Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) and Lady Plum (BFA F3 2017 Grayson Goga) were selected for screening at the Sarasota Film Festival, April 13-22. The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn is screening as part of the Through Women’s Eyes Film Festival, which runs as part of the Sarasota Film Festival. For more information about Through Women’s Eyes, go to http://www.throughwomenseyes.com<http://www.throughwomenseyes.com/>. For more information about Sarasota, go to http://www.sarasotafilmfest.com<http://www.sarasotafilmfest.com/>.

The Funk Doctor (MFA D2 2017 Demetrius Martin) was selected for screening at the CannaBus Culture Film Fest, a touring festival that begins on April 20 in Burlington, Vermont. For more information about this festival, go to http://cannabusculturefilmfest.com/.

Smoked (MFA D2 2017 Jonas Schubach ) was selected for screening at the Hollywood Comedy Shorts Film Festival, April 20-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.hollywoodcomedyshortsfilmfest.com.

Wilting (BFA Documentary 2017 Jessica Kirby) was selected for screening at the Boynton Beach Short Film Festival, April 17-22. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/events/366806640323030/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 Yuecheng Liu) was selected for screening at the Milledgeville + Eatonton Film Festival in Georgia, April 24-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.milledgevillefilmfest.com<http://www.milledgevillefilmfest.com/>.

Reunion (BFA Documentary 2017 Brady Holcomb) was selected for screening at the UPIKE Film & Media Arts Festival in Pikeville, Kentucky, April 26-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmafest.org<http://www.fmafest.org/>.

Rally (MFA D1 2017 Wasly Castillo) was selected for screening at the Sunscreen Film Festival in St. Pete, April 26-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.sunscreenfilmfestival<http://www.sunscreenfilmfestival/>.com.

War Crimes (MFA D2 2016 Matthew Robinson) was selected for screening at Cinema Los Angeles, April 27-28, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://cinemalosangeles.com/.

Rigor Mortis (MFA Thesis 2017 Matthew Robinson) was selected for screening at the Horror Avenue Film Festival in Peoria, Illinois, April 27-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.horroravenuefest.com<http://www.horroravenuefest.com/>.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) was selected for screening at the Spiritual Vibe Film Festival in New York City on April 28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.spiritualvibefilmfestival.com/.

The Terrible Trio (MFA Thesis 2017 Rob Eaton) was selected for screening at the Maryland International Film Festival in Hagerstown, April 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.marylandiff.net.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the NYC Short Documentary Film Festival on May 25. For more information about this festival, go to www.nycsdff.com.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Crimson Screen Horror Film Fest in Charleston, South Carolina, May 25-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.crimsonscreenfilmfest.com<http://www.crimsonscreenfilmfest.com/>.

Wilting (BFA Documentary 2017 Jessica Kirby) was selected for screening at the Palm Bay Caribe Film Festival in Florida, May 31 – June 2. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.caribefilmfestival.com/.