[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 4.6.18

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Fri Apr 6 17:19:54 EDT 2018

[cid:image001.png at 01D3CDCB.78D02B40]

Link:http://atlantafilmfestival.com/   Details: Wednesday, April 18th @ 8:30pm Free with RSVP (on festival website).  No post screening reception planned.

Also in cooperation with Pinewood and the Atlanta Film Festival will be our second Atlanta Film Forum with a “Very Special Surprise Guest”. Date and time: Tuesday, April 17, Hill Auditorium at the Woodruff Center located at 1280 Peachtree St. NE. Starting at 6pm, reception to follow at 7:30pm. Forum is open to the public as part of the Atlanta Film Festival http://atlantafilmfestival.com/

The 42nd annual Atlanta Film Festival takes place April 13 - 22, 2018. Showcasing diverse feature and short films and connecting audiences to filmmakers from around the world.

From FSU Opening Nights:  We are announcing the film that will be shown for "A Movie You Haven't Seen" because it has strong ties to Tallahassee! “Life and Nothing More,” is the latest film by Antonio Méndez Esparza, filmmaker and professor at FSU College of Motion Picture Arts<https://www.facebook.com/FSUMovies/>.  Filmed in Tallahassee during the 2016 Presidential Elections, “Life and Nothing More” boasts a cast of all non-professional actors.  The film was awarded the John Cassavetes Award at the 2018 Independent Spirit Awards. It premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival and has toured through a number of A-list International Film festivals, including San Sebastian, Tokyo, Rome, Sao Paulo, Chicago, Morelia, and Thessaloniki. It was selected as the opening film in New York for the prestigious Film Comment Selects. Antonio received a Guggenheim Grant and Florida Council for the Arts Grant to develop the film. There will be a Q&A and reception with Antonio Méndez Esparza following the screening.  Saturday, April 14, 7:30 PM, Student Life Cinema.  Tickets available at https://tickets.fsu.edu/openingnights/Online/

Two shorts by FSU alums in New York were featured in this recent Vulture article: http://www.vulture.com/2018/04/10-wonderfully-weird-indie-films-streaming-for-free.html<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.vulture.com_2018_04_10-2Dwonderfully-2Dweird-2Dindie-2Dfilms-2Dstreaming-2Dfor-2Dfree.html&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=LJQw-Cr_mYPBcK6Xl8KyI2cQK3ZTqOZbUvOZxEBIHEg&m=v_8Ht80QIb155wJCsTPw-RkFkYO734QBPrGRMBSXKXI&s=pspCkTyUMi9q-JKjIvsBTe3oQ4GGv5HnYlhORcMpGdI&e=>. One is “Cinema Brut,” made by Dustin Waldman (BFA ’12) and two other filmmakers, with some color correction help from Pedro Vivas Hernandez (BFA ’12). It’s streamable for free here: http://nobudge.com/main/cinema-brut. The other is “Lance Lizardi,” directed by and starring Xander Robin (BFA ’11), under a pseudonym, with help from fellow alums Rafael Lorie (BFA ‘14), Tatiana Bears (BFA ’13), Matt Clegg (BFA ‘11), Michael Kefeyalew (BFA ’13), Valerie Brooks (BFA ‘14), and Max Allman (BFA ’13). You can stream it for free here: http://nobudge.com/main/lance-lizardi?rq=lance%20lizardi.

From Steven Sears (FSU THE alum) “The Vault Publishing has announced the release of the sci-fi hardbound graphic novel STALAG-X, created and written by veteran screenwriter and FSU alum Steven L. Sears (XENA, WALKER-TEXAS RANGER, RAVEN, THE A-TEAM), and NY Times Bestselling author Kevin J. Anderson (DUNE: HOUSE ATREIDES, STAR WARS: TALES OF THE JEDI, STAR WARS: JEDI ACADEMY).  Set in a hellish concentration run by aliens in a futuristic war of genocide, STALAG-X asks the question “What is human?”  Steven and Kevin have signed a deal with Shoreline Entertainment for TV/Film development of the project.  Website is http://www.stalag-x.com<http://www.stalag-x.com/>”

From Stacy Milbourn (MFA-Writing 14) “Hey everyone, check out the episode of the Female Criminals podcast I wrote about Bonnie Parker. You can get it on iTunes, Google Play, Tune In, or Stitcher, or you can listen to it on Parcast's website here: https://www.parcast.com/criminals/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__l.facebook.com_l.php-3Fu-3Dhttps-253A-252F-252Fwww.parcast.com-252Fcriminals-252F-26h-3DATNwMVttAW-5FEkTPE8lpjiV-5FC95dDtKLZqvoe-2DHrSMgP1THmcPYDCJwvgvILZh-5FLngA-5FsG7LKUHE5rVBDwKMZlLAG4MkpvubNQ-2DF1Y2O6Yw8WVIW1ZnofqalAe9KBz5V48ttFvg6b&d=DwMCaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=rS7Wo7biPPJFdJgpAu4K9ApaTxlsKKIi5O0LZb4UnD8&s=QcK4nV2mn5IEjoJ8qcp3Jo2XNt5tuB7xuRH2MoUDJ7Q&e=>
This podcast is just generally awesome and I highly recommend it for your commute!”

From Mike Felker (BFA 10)  “I swear I don't know who Simon Abrams is, nor did I pay the Village Voice to write up this glowing #TheEndless<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/theendless?source=feed_text> review about the editing, but I will thank him with a beer or six whenever I finally meet him. https://www.villagevoice.com/…/the-endless-this-is-how-you…/<https://www.villagevoice.com/2018/04/04/the-endless-this-is-how-you-edit-a-horror-movie/>
Get your tickets ASAP for The Endless this Friday for New York or next week for Los Angeles right here: https://www.theendless-movie.com/?campaign=TheEndlessFB””    And Mike has just become a member of the Motion Picture Editors Guild!

From Dan Ast (BFA 04)  "The second season of our independent TV series "L.A. Macabre" got a few nods at the 9th Annual Indie Series Awards last night. Our amazing composer Mike Meehan won for Best Original Score and I was honored to receive an award for Best Director in a Drama. L.A. Macabre Season Two has been a huge project for us. It was over 300 pages long with 65 speaking roles, and dozens of locations. It took 18 months to wrap out our 63 days of filming with a crew of only three to five people on a shoe-string budget. Our cinematographer, Austin Lee Smoak (BFA 05), has been an incredible leader on our show and the images and storytelling she accomplished with our almost-nothing budget and bare-bones team are remarkable. This season will consist of 12 episodes, all between 20-35 each, for a total runtime of approximately 5 hours and 45 minutes. It's been one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences of my life and I hope we're able to find the support we need to a third and final season to wrap out the saga."

The Florida State University Center for the Advancement of Human Rights along with the FSU College of Motion Picture Arts will host a screening of their jointly produced documentary on a U.S. human rights activist desperately seeking answers about her husband’s disappearance and murder.  The documentary (made by Dr. Terry Coonan and Dr. Valliere Richard Auzenne, “40 Years Searching for the Truth,” examines the journey of Joyce Horman to identify those responsible for the murder of her husband, Charles, during the 1973 Pinochet coup in Chile. “Joyce is an activist who continues to demand answers, especially regarding the possible complicity of the United States in her husband’s death,” said Terry Coonan, executive director of Center for the Advancement of Human Rights. “The film recounts her decades-long campaign as well as the developments in the modern human rights movement that have assisted her cause.”
 The event, which is free and open to the public, will take place:

SUNDAY, APRIL 8
7 P.M.
ASKEW STUDENT LIFE CINEMA
942 LEARNING WAY
FLORIDA STATE UNIVERSITY
 A reception will precede the film at 7 p.m., and a panel discussion will follow.

From Kelsey Scott:  “ I'm always elated to artistically reunite with fellow alumni. And this collaboration with Carey Williams  (MFA 00) and James Bland (FAMU) is particularly close to my heart. If you haven't experienced this audacious story of millennial navigation, treat yourself to a binge. Either way, please find your way to episode 205 - expertly directed by Carey, and featuring a character I portray.”

Don Hertzfeldt, a shining example of the auteur filmmaker, will be screening his work at the SLC on Sun 4/15 at 8pm with a Q&A to follow moderated by none other than @maumau! Do not miss this:
https://tinyurl.com/y7mov4ya

In NY?    From Brian Newman’s blog:  “Branded Documentary Class at UnionDocs<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__uniondocs.org_event_2018-2D05-2D04-2Dbranded-2Ddocumentaries_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=LJQw-Cr_mYPBcK6Xl8KyI2cQK3ZTqOZbUvOZxEBIHEg&m=FVQ-YUIw8UjemyqIlAgRi3AcvxdfKGR_fwiUbrYrtqU&s=Q2s6TXpRqBnKTLGI5lNgng_1f_2P-Ig4nLs-MyR0GcY&e=> I’m teaching a new branded documentary workshop at UnionDocs in Brooklyn May 4-6. I’ve done this twice before, and they both seemed to be a great success, so we’re doing it once again (it’s been a year or two now). I have some great guest instructors, including filmmakers Trish Dalton and Sarah Tricker; and producers of branded content, Rob Sheard from Zero Point Zero and Megan Cunningham from Magnet Media (all bios in the link), and we’ll likely add one more soon. We’re covering everything from business to creative, and it’s a great opportunity to learn how to work with brands to make great content, as well as pros/cons and how to break-in to this area. Register here<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__uniondocs.org_event_2018-2D05-2D04-2Dbranded-2Ddocumentaries_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=LJQw-Cr_mYPBcK6Xl8KyI2cQK3ZTqOZbUvOZxEBIHEg&m=FVQ-YUIw8UjemyqIlAgRi3AcvxdfKGR_fwiUbrYrtqU&s=Q2s6TXpRqBnKTLGI5lNgng_1f_2P-Ig4nLs-MyR0GcY&e=>.

From Nicole Rogers (MFA  12)  “I’m getting shipped off to NY from April 16-19 to complete an on-site corporate video for a worldwide Marriott event. It’s kind of a major undertaking with a very quick turnaround so I am looking for a second editor to help meI would prefer to work with a trusted alum if there is one. Need someoine the evening of April 16 through April 18  to assistant edit and also edit portions to hand to her.Thanks so much!”  Contact me at narogers87 at gmail.com<mailto:narogers87 at gmail.com> “