[Film-bfad2] [Film-bfad] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 9.21.17

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Sep 21 16:53:04 EDT 2017

From Ruth Hernandez (MFA 98)  “We won an Emmy for sound editing THE NIGHT OF. What made it even sweeter is that I got to share that honor with some of the folks I've been working with for the last 20 years!  Going up on the stage was nerve wrecking but that was over in seconds (30!) however getting that beautiful statue made the trip to la worthwhile. And then you get to go to a ball! It was fun!”

Antonio Méndez Esparza's (Directing Faculty) newest film, 'Life and Nothing More,' was chosen by Variety<https://www.facebook.com/Variety/?fref=mentions> as one of the 10 best movies to come out of the 2017 Toronto Film Festival!  http://variety.com/gallery/best-movies-tiff-2017-toronto-film-festival-shape-of-water-lady-bird/

Fox Eyes ‘Maze Runner’s Wes Ball (BFA 02) For ‘Mouse Guard’ EXCLUSIVE: Maze Runner trilogy helmer Wes Ball is being pursued by 2oth Century Fox to direct Mouse Guard, an ambitious live-action/VFX mix about a brotherhood of mice during medieval times sworn to protect the fellow rodents in their midst.  http://deadline.com/2017/09/mouse-guard-wes-ball-matt-reeves-fox-maze-runner-1202164619/

The ACCelerate Creativity and Innovation Festival is just three weeks away: Oct 13 - 15! FSU is going to be well represented at this first-of-its-kind event at the Smithsonian Museum of American History. We will present exhibits from the College of Motion Picture Arts and the Mag Lab, the College of Fine Arts, the College of Engineering, and a performance by the Electronic Chamber Orchestra from the College of Music. All in all we'll have 25 Seminoles traveling to DC to show their amazing creativity and innovation. View the website at http://acceleratefestival.com/.  The event is free and open to the public 10AM - 5PM Fri - Sun, Oct 13 - 15.    The Florida State University College of Motion Picture Arts in collaboration with the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory will be presenting sample works from an educational documentary film that will explore utilization of virtual and augmented reality as tools to teach and communicate technical concepts in the area of high magnetic field science and technology. In addition, the College of Motion Picture Arts will be presenting an experimental virtual reality film titled "Static". The intent of the experimental film was to explore how traditional cinematic storytelling might be impacted by the ability of the viewer to be placed in a 360-degree setting, and the technological challenges that go with working in this medium.

There will be a large contingent of Film School folks in DC for the Smithsonian event:  Event creators Jonathan Stone, Tom Mikota, Ronn Honn, Andrew Syder, Geoff Stegmeyer (lots of hard work on behalf of those guys).  Also attending will be Dean Reb Braddock, Lindsay Hartmann and me!  We’ll be at the exhibit each day and look forward to having some of our DC alums and friends visit the exhibit.  Invitations to area alums to attend an “open house” (food and drinks) from 6-9 PM Friday, October 13 at the Washington Marriott at Metro Center will be going out soon.

From Michael Lloyd Green (MFA 08)  “eOne<http://variety.com/t/eone/> has acquired the rights to the sci-fi thriller pitch “The Revisionist<http://variety.com/t/the-revisionist/>” with Hutch Parker Entertainment on board to produce.  Michael Lloyd Green<http://variety.com/t/michael-lloyd-green/> will pen the script, which follows a loyal soldier who is sent back in time with a hit squad to take out an illusive insurgent — responsible for releasing a virus on the world. But when their mission is compromised, he’s forced to go against his own team in a sacrificial effort to turn the tides of history.”  http://variety.com/2017/film/news/eone-the-revisionist-from-michael-lloyd-green-1202549524/

From Jaye Davidson (MFA 10)  “Currently, I work for a nonprofit called the Foundation for Economic Education. We looking for animators and Digital Artists. Here is an example from one of our videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlmpRhG17kY<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3DzlmpRhG17kY&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=TkLh9dMQbkxjMuorKkS_jbyOtzYxspQp7TFHJ6_RR7U&s=0vsionv96jhuBQLQTifp-ecwEapGC00ezWBIY_oMAAI&e=>       Contact me at Jdavidson at fee.org<mailto:Jdavidson at fee.org>

From Lauren Brinkman (BFA )  “I've recently been promoted to Manager of Development at Lightbox... and that we won the Emmy for Exceptional Merit in Documentary for our LA Riots film, LA 92, which I worked on as an executive assistant.’

From Melissa Shega (BFA15 )  “I am thrilled to finally announce that I am officially a partner of a startup Virtually Reality company called CGO Studios in LA! Our message is simple, We Create History. Both in our content and in our mission to rethink education through new and innovative technology. We have been fortunate enough to be curation partners with the Smithsonian Institution, have our content be in the top five at Comic Con, and be written up by The Washington Post, Fortune, LA Business Journal, and even TMZ. If anyone in the LA area wants to come in and watch the Wright Brothers take flight or watch the first two men climb Everest feel free to message me or check out our website and social media! (cgostudios.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__cgostudios.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=oYcccUPjXWqgpv7AxVLWsxxrXpej9x852i_YU34NqL8&s=PZ71_hcYGc4-CRLtVZrKBiS1bnmETvlRSwXX0q7Gxlk&e=>) (facebook.com/cgostudios/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__facebook.com_cgostudios_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=oYcccUPjXWqgpv7AxVLWsxxrXpej9x852i_YU34NqL8&s=8XD09YIS1o2JWU4k9HDLJqa0isoLvx6uQl5QjEoVgXA&e=>)

On the film side, I wrapped a movie called "Burning At Both Ends" starting Carry Elwes, Judd Hirsch, and Greer Grammer as a Production Manager that is being edited as we speak. I worked on two music videos for Shawn Frank (he co-produced "closer" by the Chainsmokers otherwise known as "the boulder song") and Delaney Jane. I also worked my first gig as a Unit Production Manager for National University as part of their digital residency program. It was quite fun being Tony Ciarlariello for a few months and showing master students how they filled out their Location Agreements wrong. A lot has happened this past year and more things to come! GO NOLES!”

From George Reasner (MFA 94)  "During Keylight Weekend 2017 we heard a whole panel of alums talking on & on about alums working together... and it's all true. I was hired to shoot a new campaign for the SanDisk iPhone product line, and I thought it wise to bring some FSU alums along... Our commercial shoot this week had Gaffer Jacob Abrams, Steadicam Operator Will Sampson, 1st AC Erica Chan and 2nd AC Jeremy Bolden. The FSU mafia goes on and on...."

 From Lucas Omar (MFA 17)   “I just found out I made it to the second round of the Lexus short film competition! I get to submit a treatment and I'll be interviewed by WME reps.”

'Find your tribe' says alum Adele Romanski (BFA '04), the Oscar-winning producer for 'Moonlight.' She and Barry Jenkins (BFA '03) spoke during IFP week this year. Check out this discussion with them at FSU! http://filmmakermagazine.com/103461-find-your-tribe-moonlight-director-barry-jenkins-and-producer-adele-romanski-give-advice-at-ifp-wee/#.WcJ7662ZNTZ

From Darrel Raymundo ( BFA ADA 15)    “It’s been an incredible year so far living in Los Angeles. I’ve been working at Gentle Giant/ 3D Systems as a 3D character artist for the last five months here in Burbank, CA. We specialize in 3D scanning and rapid prototyping for the entertainment industry. This opportunity has been amazing and exciting for me.  In the short time I’ve been with the company I have been fortunate enough to have worked on several big projects for clients such as Marvel, Disney, Lucasfilm, and Pokemon these last few months. Working as a 3D sculptor for film, toys, and collectibles have been a dream come true and a major step towards my goals. I would like to express my sincerest appreciation and gratitude to all my professors who helped me and who have continued to keep in contact with me, people like Ken Robkin, Ron Honn, Jamie Kassler, Lisa Tripp, Jstone, Jason Maurer and Dr. Syder. Thank you for all you’ve done for me.
I would also like to extend a helping hand towards any future FSU film school alumni or current FSU students that wish to pursue 3D character modeling. This is a passion that I wish to share with anyone that is interested.”

From Ben Solovey (BFA 07)  “I'm currently attending Grad School at the University of Amsterdam, getting a Dual MA in Preservation and Presentation of the Moving Image. I'll be elbow deep in priceless nitrate film soon enough.”

Fall Auditions
The FSU College of Motion Picture Arts will hold open casting calls for Graduate and Undergraduate Films:

Sunday, October 8 at 10am-7pm
Sunday, October 15 at 10am-7pm

Drop by anytime on either date. No appointment needed. No experience necessary. All ages welcome. The auditions will take place at the FSU College of Motion Picture Arts in Tallahassee, FL, located in University Center Building A, which is attached to the Doak Campbell Stadium. The front entrance of the Film School is located on the northeast side of the stadium near Gate K. The stadium address is 282 Champions Way, Tallahassee, FL 32306.

For more info and to register in advance, visit http://action.film.fsu.edu/
Also, if you would like to take a look at the script sides that we will have at the auditions, you can find them here: 2017 Fall Sides<https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qq5h4sbdrrpv7t/AACiPpmI3LOCuhaZ_JHU8OTga?dl=0>
Note that these sides are for general audition purposes. These are not actual roles.
Tony Ciarlariello, tony at film.fsu.edu<mailto:tony at film.fsu.edu>
Head of Production
Florida State University
College of Motion Picture Arts

The Warren Report comes to you today from the Big Apple, where we had a great inaugural NY Film Forum!

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – September 21, 2017

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the Twin Cities Black Film Festival in Minneapolis, MN, October 12-15. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.tcbff.org.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) is a Semi-Finalist at the Los Angeles CineFest and is selected for their online monthly competition. For more information about this festival go to lacinefest.weebly.com.

Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) was selected for screening at the Hope Film Awards in Las Vegas, NV, September 2017. For more information about the festival, go to, https://sites.google.com/view/hope-film-awards/home?authuser=5.

Rigor Mortis (MFA Thesis 2017 Matthew Robinson) was selected for the September monthly screening of the Miami Independent Film Festival in Miami Beach, FL. For more information about this festival, go to, http://miamindiefest.com<http://miamindiefest.com/>.

Rigor Mortis (MFA Thesis 2017 Matthew Robinson) was selected for a monthly screening of the Mindfield Film Festival – Los Angeles. For more information about this festival, go to, http://la.mindfieldfilmfest.com/winners.html.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) has been invited to screen on Comcast’s Cinema Asian America video-on-demand platform for the month of October. For more information about this series, go to caamedia.org.

Georgia to Maine (BFA Documentary 2016 Reid Lauff/Parker McBain) was selected for screening at the Maine Outdoor Film Festival in Portland, Maine, September 2 – October 7. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.maineoutdoorfilmfestival.com/.

Falcons! (MFA D2 2016 Carolina Garrigo) and Sure-Fire (MFA Thesis 2016 Allison Izzo) were selected for screening at the Austin Revolution Film Festival in Austin, TX, September 19-23. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.austinrevolution.com/default.aspx.

Iris (MFA D2 2016 Nikki Lee), Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) and Devil’s Luck (MFA D2 2016 Rob Eaton) were selected for screening at the Rendezvous Film Festival on Amelia Island, September 21-23. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.rendezvousfestival.org/.

Deadmeat (BFA Thesis 2017 Drew Mazzarella/Sabrina Grimes) was selected for screening at the Women in Horror Film Festival in Atlanta, GA, September 22-24. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.wihff.com<http://www.wihff.com/>.

Nuggets (BFA Thesis 2016 Jamie Cernich) was selected for screening at the Catalina Film Festival in Los Angeles, CA, September 27 – October 1. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.catalinafilm.org/.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) was selected for screening at the Sacramento Horror Film Festival, September 29-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.sachorrorfilmfest.com<http://www.sachorrorfilmfest.com/>.

Murky Water (MFA Thesis 2016 Carl Rogers) and Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) were selected for screening at The Halloween Horror Picture Show in Tampa, FL, September 30 – October 1. For more information about this festival, go to, http://thehalloweenhorrorpictureshow.com<http://thehalloweenhorrorpictureshow.com/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) is an official selection of the European Independent Film Award, an online competition to be held September 30. For more information about this competition, go to www.theeifa.com.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the Baltimore International Black Film Festival, October 4-9. For more information about this festival, go to, http://bibff.com/.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the International Black Film Festival in Nashville, TN, October 5-8. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.ibffevents.com<https://www.ibffevents.com/>.

My Josephine (BFA F3 2003 Barry Jenkins) was invited to screen at the Mill Valley Film Festival in San Rafael, CA, October 5-15 as part of a special retrospective. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.mvff.com<http://www.mvff.com/>.

A Little Drama (MFA D1 2016 Brandon Shenk) was selected for screening at the Tampa Bay International Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, October 6-14. For more information about this festival, go to, https://tiglff.com<https://tiglff.com/>.

You See ‘Em (BFA Documentary 2016 Emma Landeche) and Howl at the Moon (BFA F3 2017 Arielle Heiman) were selected for screening at the Y’allywood Film Festival in Atlanta, GA, October 9-15. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.yallywood.org<http://www.yallywood.org/>.

Meat (BFA F3 2017 Vishesh Pires) was selected for screening at the Tampa Bay International Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, October 6-14. For more information about this festival, go to, https://tiglff.com.

Stutter (MFA Thesis 2016 Ivo Huahua) was nominated for Best Script, Best Movie, Best Editing (Jeremiah Bodner ’16), and Best Actor for the Premios Claqueta 2017 (Claqueta Awards 2017) in Barcelona, Spain, October 7. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.cataloniafilmschool.com/premios-claqueta-fidec/.

Rigor Mortis (MFA Thesis 2017 Matthew Robinson) was selected for screening at the Marina del Rey Film Festival, October 7-13. For more information about this festival, go to, http://marinadelreyfilmfestival.com<http://marinadelreyfilmfestival.com/>.

Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar) and The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) were selected for screening at the Tampa Bay International Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, October 6-14. For more information about this festival, go to, https://tiglff.com.

Today and Tomorrow and the Day After That (MFA D2 2017 Samuel Bellamy) was selected for screening at the Pride Film Festival in Chicago, IL, October 10 –
January 9. For more information about this festival, go to, http://pridefilmsandplays.com<http://pridefilmsandplays.com/>.

You See ‘Em (BFA Documentary 2016 Emma Landeche) was selected for screening at the New Orleans Film Festival, October 11-19. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.neworleansfilmfestival.org<http://www.neworleansfilmfestival.org/>.

Blasted (BFA Thesis 2016 Christian Klein) was selected for screening at the Laughlin International Film Festival in Laughlin, Nevada, October 12-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.facebook.com/Laughlinfilmfestival<http://www.facebook.com/Laughlinfilmfestival>.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Toronto After Dark Film Festival in Canada on Friday the 13th of October. For more information about this festival, go to www.torontoafterdark.com.

Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) was selected for screening at the Way Down Film Festival in Columbus, GA, October 13-14. For more information on this festival, go to, http://www.waydownfilmfest.com.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) was selected for screening at the TOHorror Film Fest in Torino, Italy, October 17-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.tohorrorfilmfest.it/en<http://www.tohorrorfilmfest.it/en>.

Georgia to Maine (BFA Documentary 2016 Reid Lauff/Parker McBain) was selected for screening at the Travel FilmFest International Film Festival in Limassol, Cyprus, October 19-22. For more information about this festival, go to http://travelfilmfest.com/

Murky Water (MFA Thesis 2016 Carl Rogers) and Caretaker (MFA Thesis 2016 Christopher Nold) were selected for screening at the Orlando Film Festival, October 19-26. For more information about this festival, go to, http://orlandofilmfest.com<http://orlandofilmfest.com/>.

Sanctuary (BFA Documentary 2015 Grace Marrero) was selected for screening at the Wildlife Conservation Film Festival in New York City, October 19-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.wcff.org<http://www.wcff.org/>.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen), Best Benefits and Uses for Peanut Oil, Vol 1 (BFA F1 2016 Cristy Trabada), and Ruckzuck (BFA Documentary 2017 Jacqueline Xerri) were selected for screening at the Melbourne Independent Filmmakers Festival in Melbourne, FL, October 20-21. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.melbournefilmfest.com.

Murky Water (MFA Thesis 2016 Carl Rogers) was selected for screening at the Halloween International Film Festival in Kill Devil Hills, NC, October 26-28. For more information about this festival, go to, http://obxentertainment.com/halloweenfilmfestival/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Philip K. Dick Film Festival in Cologne, Germany, October 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to, http://philipkdickfilmfestival-europe.com.

Tate’s (BFA Documentary 2016 Nicole Low) was selected for screening at the Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival, November 3-19. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.fliff.com.
Into the Rain (MFA D2 2016 Layne Inselman) was selected for screening at the EyeCatcher International Film Festival in McAlester, Oklahoma, November 8-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.eyecatcherfilmfest.com.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) was selected for screening at the San Jose International Short Film Festival, December 7-10. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.sjsff.com<http://www.sjsff.com/>.

Till Death (MFA D2 2016 Molly Roland) was selected for screening at the Silver Screen for Short Films film festival in Clearwater, Florida on January 10, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.silverscreenforshortfilms.com/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Short of April at the Gold Movie Awards in London, January 11, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.goldmovieawards.com<http://www.goldmovieawards.com/>.

Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) was selected for screening at the Miami Beach Film Festival, January 13-15, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.miamibeachfilmfest.com<https://www.miamibeachfilmfest.com/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Woman Filmmaker at the Hollywood International Moving Pictures Film Festival in Los Angeles, CA, January 27, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.himpff.com<http://www.himpff.com/>.

War Crimes (MFA D2 2016 Matthew Robinson) was selected for screening at Cinema Los Angeles, April 27-18, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://cinemalosangeles.com/.