[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 9.14.17

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Sep 14 14:03:26 EDT 2017

If you are in NY on Wednesday, September 20, hope you can join us for our first NY Film Forum:  6:30 PM a WeWork.  You must register to attend to hear “Hollywood Disruptors” with panelists from Vice Studios, IFC, and Tadmor.  Go to https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fsu-college-of-motion-picture-arts-nyc-film-forum-tickets-37317961026 for more information and to register.  Hope to see you there!  Film School reps will be Reb Braddock, Brenda Mills, Lindsay Hartman, Sabrina Reisinger and me.

From Alex Durham (BFA 06)  “It's been a busy year. In April, I won my fifth Emmy as supervising editor of Amazon's Eat the World.  It was a pleasure to lead such a talented team of editors. The show also picked up an Emmy in the category of Outstanding Culinary Program and was nominated for a James Beard Award alongside Chef's Table and Anthony Bourdain's The Mind of a Chef.  I've spent most of 2017 working with an up-and-coming director, cutting a new Netflix Original called The Confession Tapes. This seven-part true crime documentary series investigates cases where people convicted of murder claim their confessions were coerced, involuntary, or false. Many of the people involved are still in prison today, and their provocative, hard-hitting stories highlight some major flaws in our justice system. The Confession Tapes is available  on Netflix.”

Congratulation to Miles Kahn (BFA 97)  who produces Samantha Bee’s Full Frontal.  Their episode “Samantha Bee Mocks Donald Trump And White House Correspondents Dinner” won a Variety Special Writing Emmy!

From Jesse Barksdale (BFA 07)  “A lot of cool stuff to update you on... In February I released a video game called Bucket Detective, which is a dark comedy/horror in which you help a cult complete a ritual in exchange for divine inspiration to finish writing your terrible novel. I did the writing, design, and art. If people are interested to check it out, it's on Steam for $3.99: http://store.steampowered.com/app/461170/Bucket_Detective/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__store.steampowered.com_app_461170_Bucket-5FDetective_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=THAn7zsz4apF6CmHEKmxq6l_D_krApeI4tYhsw7xIqQ&s=TSvF8C6urR2JkOf-PDR3GQ9_F4qTF6HwxDQfJ2q_aAc&e=>. After that I started working as a writer/designer on a few educational games, and in November I'll join Starbreeze Studios in Stockholm as a writer on the new The Walking Dead game. It's scheduled to release near the end of 2018, so I'll definitely send an update as it gets closer :)”

Read the article in IGC (magazine of the International Cinematographers Guild) about Michael Lockridge (BFA 05) on his selection as Emerging Cinematographer, for his work on Rebound.

From Jon Cohen (MFA 99)  “Happy to announce A Swingers Weekend will begin is festival debut shortly at Cinefest in Sudbury, then onto Calgary and Edmonton international film festivals and the Whistler Film Festival in late November.  Whistler is more of informal film market than anything else and is shaping up to be really fun.  Waiting on a US festival premiere. If anyone wants to attend any screening or events please be in touch directly jon at savoyentertainment.ca<mailto:jon at savoyentertainment.ca>.”

From Qurell (Wright) Amani’s (BFA95) one woman show “Panther Woman”, a fictional account of one woman’s experience in the original Black Panther Party for Self Defense, will be held October 16-21, 2017, at 7:30 PM, at the Playroom Theatre, 151 W. 46th Street NYC, 8th Floor, between 6th and 7th Avenues.  Tickets are $30 at www.pantherwomantheplay.com<http://www.pantherwomantheplay.com/>

From Adewale Bajere (MFA 09)  (this was a Facebook post):  “The Graduate Film School of Florida State University Class of 09'. This top-ranked film school is where my divine gift of Screenwriting, Producing, and Directing motion pictures was nurtured. Thank you to all the faculty & staff, my Directing professor Reb Braddock<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.linkedin.com_in_reb-2Dbraddock-2D9a88a39_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=I1IryxJPL4LpEawn4k2TDn8_yWNZFlx2ivVVDPLMQEA&s=BeC4qHj_wKO-5OfnsFxv8D4j26faTCJAgMYE5sQgWvw&e=> (#Curdled #QuentinTarantino<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.linkedin.com_search_results_content_-3Fkeywords-3D-2523QuentinTarantino-26origin-3DHASH-5FTAG-5FFROM-5FFEED&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=I1IryxJPL4LpEawn4k2TDn8_yWNZFlx2ivVVDPLMQEA&s=0d4dmDm8G9FTn7FHasJ5ZLhHlk1hb3C3xFdIe2TufTQ&e=>) who is now the current Dean of the film school! Congratulations Reb!! My other Directing professor Chip Chalmers<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.linkedin.com_in_chip-2Dchalmers-2D283604a_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=I1IryxJPL4LpEawn4k2TDn8_yWNZFlx2ivVVDPLMQEA&s=MQ9dsCmsUw1VPhIgMOtAi9yOvZT5WfGwISsygoGjzsY&e=> #BeverlyHills90210<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.linkedin.com_search_results_content_-3Fkeywords-3D-2523BeverlyHills90210-26origin-3DHASH-5FTAG-5FFROM-5FFEED&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=I1IryxJPL4LpEawn4k2TDn8_yWNZFlx2ivVVDPLMQEA&s=Ri-UzqsD6VGdrWbapcHmJpTz59qvzum3RHrRO_WwXlQ&e=>. Rexford Metz<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.linkedin.com_in_rexford-2Dmetz-2D5981747_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=I1IryxJPL4LpEawn4k2TDn8_yWNZFlx2ivVVDPLMQEA&s=vQ803BJQRBYVxBP6rCzUHfURa2swSq_ux5F4VwgryVo&e=> #JawsStevenSpielburg<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.linkedin.com_search_results_content_-3Fkeywords-3D-2523JawsStevenSpielburg-26origin-3DHASH-5FTAG-5FFROM-5FFEED&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=I1IryxJPL4LpEawn4k2TDn8_yWNZFlx2ivVVDPLMQEA&s=myyDK34ryjCvnfGIRV8MXN0uOYdz-MtLbFN4SLTdpBc&e=> who taught me camera & lighting. My producing professor Paul Cohen<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.linkedin.com_in_paul-2Dcohen-2D9a9995a_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=I1IryxJPL4LpEawn4k2TDn8_yWNZFlx2ivVVDPLMQEA&s=2pc3Dchao42BM0Eak0IH-yy0lZ5GbVa5FbRVeZPAjtw&e=> #BadLieutenant<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.linkedin.com_search_results_content_-3Fkeywords-3D-2523BadLieutenant-26origin-3DHASH-5FTAG-5FFROM-5FFEED&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=I1IryxJPL4LpEawn4k2TDn8_yWNZFlx2ivVVDPLMQEA&s=ouFLt4TCJGsnqvmrzYIqMXPFVHwMaJPVQXrPrMROHXA&e=>. And many other talented educators. Love ya Meryl Warren<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.linkedin.com_in_meryl-2Dwarren-2D09a5424_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=I1IryxJPL4LpEawn4k2TDn8_yWNZFlx2ivVVDPLMQEA&s=5FxfnHU-lJB7OR2PvUq0Xhdb4KWV-y2w-bEGb9w3-zk&e=> ! Successful filmmakers graduated from this school, such as my fraternity brother, the OscarAwardWinner #BarryJenkins<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.linkedin.com_search_results_content_-3Fkeywords-3D-2523BarryJenkins-26origin-3DHASH-5FTAG-5FFROM-5FFEED&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=I1IryxJPL4LpEawn4k2TDn8_yWNZFlx2ivVVDPLMQEA&s=wWUGkIwEJ_WYRvvjOQm-QDt8VL3osujjLekaFKpz8fw&e=> #Moonlight<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.linkedin.com_search_results_content_-3Fkeywords-3D-2523Moonlight-26origin-3DHASH-5FTAG-5FFROM-5FFEED&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=I1IryxJPL4LpEawn4k2TDn8_yWNZFlx2ivVVDPLMQEA&s=y77Bm8GdInyva5GOeuOO-I4HIAeNSZScyhEm4DIfuj0&e=> My other frat brother & mentor Frank B Goodin II #LoveTrapMovie<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.linkedin.com_search_results_content_-3Fkeywords-3D-2523LoveTrapMovie-26origin-3DHASH-5FTAG-5FFROM-5FFEED&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=I1IryxJPL4LpEawn4k2TDn8_yWNZFlx2ivVVDPLMQEA&s=pFG2x5kXj73xw2rDLcLhtSzfHhsZTbiNkqy6HAoY86U&e=>. The list goes on. Last but not least to my classmates I miss y'all so much! We'll see each other again soon enough! Let's make some movies!!!! #BestFilmSchoolEver<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.linkedin.com_search_results_content_-3Fkeywords-3D-2523BestFilmSchoolEver-26origin-3DHASH-5FTAG-5FFROM-5FFEED&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=I1IryxJPL4LpEawn4k2TDn8_yWNZFlx2ivVVDPLMQEA&s=wO-FRvSlLenQSNcmed3Q3qNmc9AF0ACBVL0LaWkXdFo&e=> #FSUFilmSchool<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.linkedin.com_search_results_content_-3Fkeywords-3D-2523FSUFilmSchool-26origin-3DHASH-5FTAG-5FFROM-5FFEED&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=I1IryxJPL4LpEawn4k2TDn8_yWNZFlx2ivVVDPLMQEA&s=1lkz7hY4xDtkPFTw-D6NH8YinW84nTmXc20bjR3oRiY&e=> #MFAClassof2009<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.linkedin.com_search_results_content_-3Fkeywords-3D-2523MFAClassof2009-26origin-3DHASH-5FTAG-5FFROM-5FFEED&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=I1IryxJPL4LpEawn4k2TDn8_yWNZFlx2ivVVDPLMQEA&s=NWq4ftYBtO_b7o9hQPiLSGP2mMaykixZ-UKlgB2zA10&e=>”

From  Chris Alender (BFA 98)  “Looks like the #Muppets<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/muppets?source=feed_text&story_id=10214183335038672> need to sign their "standard rich and famous contract". Check out these great reviews! Congrats to all our Muppet friends and everyone at Soapbox Films<https://www.facebook.com/soapboxonline/?fref=mentions>...
http://variety.com/…/vpage/the-muppets-hollywood-bowl-1202…/<http://variety.com/2017/music/vpage/the-muppets-hollywood-bowl-1202552908/>
http://www.billboard.com/…/the-muppets-hollywood-bowl-bobby…<http://www.billboard.com/amp/articles/news/7957880/the-muppets-hollywood-bowl-bobby-moynihan-paul-williams-show-recap>