[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 9.7.17

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Sep 7 13:24:46 EDT 2017

The FSU College of Motion Picture Arts Dean's Alumni Council - NYC Region will host this year's film forum at the beautiful WeWork space located in the Financial District of downtown Manhattan on the 27th floor.  Forums are coordinated throughout the year by members of the council on both coasts (LA/NYC/ATL) to create ongoing support and networking opportunities for our alumni in these regions. We invite professionals from a wide range of areas in the industry to share their expertise, and speak on topics of interest and trends, and to share personal experiences as filmmakers. Christina Campagnola of the APA Talent and Literary Agency (BFA '12) will moderate this open discussion with special guests Emory Matson who works in development at Vice Studios, Aijah Keith from acquisitions at IFC, and Racheli Sternberg, Creative Executive at Tadmor. There will be a pre-panel mixer and open opportunity to meet our speakers as well as network with other Film School alumni and attending industry guests from the New York area. This event is free and open to the public but requires a RSVP. Doors open at 6:30 pm. SEATING IS LIMITED!  You must register to attend, no cost:.. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fsu-college-of-motion-picture-arts-nyc-film-forum-tickets-37317961026#tickets

From Jamie Klein (BFA ADA 15). "I am super excited to share news of my position as the VFX Coordinator on Paramount's new show, Jack Ryan!"

From Heather Konkoli (BFA 97)  “be sure to check out my latest two shows! My first Co-Executive Producer credits. Very proud. Covered all aspects of over-seeing these specials including performing a lot of the editing! The Magic of Versailles, a half-hour behind the scenes special about Ovation's hit drama "Versailles" premieres Wed Sept 6 at 4pm PT / 7pm ET on Ovation.  http://legacy.ovationtv.com/program/the-magic-of-versailles/TVRU-UQ-GJLK/   And the hour-long travelogue "Destination: Versailles" which highlights the best things to see and do in the city of Versailles, France premieres Thursday Sept 14th at 4pm PT / 7pm /ET on Ovation.”

“The 12 new projects have been selected for the sixth edition of Biennale College – Cinema 2017/18, submitted by teams composed of directors and producers who will take part in the first 10-day workshop to be held in Venice from October 7th to 16th 2017.  One of these 12 projects is Swamp Queen - Xander Robin (BFA 11) (director, USA) | Tatiana Bears  (BFA 13) (producer, USA).  Nove projects are coming from the Biennale College – Cinema – International, while the other three are from the new Biennale College Cinema – Italia. The International Call was launched on May 2nd, the Italian one on March 7th.. Biennale College is an innovative and complex experience that engages every department of the Biennale di Venezia.  Biennale College – Cinema is the project that promotes new talents in cinema by offering them the opportunity to work closely with master filmmakers in the production of micro-budget films. 3 of these 12 projects will receive support in the amount of 150,000 Euro to produce a maximum of 3 feature-length films (debut or second film), one of which must be Italian, to be presented at the 75th Venice International Film Festival in 2018.”

From Vivian Xavier (MFA 13)  “I am happy and humbled to announce that i have been selected as a 2017 Asian Film Academy cinematography fellow hosted by the Busan Film Festival. I can't wait to collaborate with other asian filmmakers, learn new things and be mentored by the great Iranian cinematographer Tooraj Mansoori and other South Korean cinematographers.”

From Robert Eaton (MFA 17)  “Standing Chameleon Productions (which we simply call Standing Chameleon) is a production company I just started. Michael Head (MFA Writing 17), a screenwriter that graduated with me, has moved up here. While at FSU we collaborated on many ideas and are looking to take advantage of what "Hollywood North" has to offer. We are developing a number of scripts and are looking to help others with their creative ideas as well. We are essentially a company solely focused on the creative development and idea-to-page process currently. However with time and luck in a film market that is literally blowing up, we hope to sell some of our scripts and to also help others get through the door so that they might be able to pitch their ideas with our help. We hope to expand to a company that can co-produce films with foreign countries as 85% of films are co-produced in Canada. This has great advantages to it: tax incentives, locations, filming rules/laws, and funding. We already are being approached by the Film Commission of Malta and the Finnish Film Commission. They will be essentially sharing everything their countries have to offer in terms of co-producing and working with them. TIFF begins tomorrow and Michael Head and I plan on taking full advantage of the industry passes we've been given. There are countless networking opportunities, master classes, lectures, and films to attend.”

From Paul Cohen, Director Film School Torchlight Program:  Here is a bit more information about Antonio Méndez Esparza's motion picture "Life and Nothing More," premiering at the 2017 Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF).  I shall be attending the festival  Sept. 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11 .  I wanted to personally share the news that “Life and Nothing More,” for which I serve as an executive producer, will be premiering at this year’s TIFF. Additionally, I would like to offer some specifics regarding the film, screenings and contacts:
“Life and Nothing More” is the first English language film of director Antonio Mendez Esparza. Antonio’s “Aquí y Allá” won the 2012 Cannes Film Festival Critics Week Grand Prix award. His new film "Life and  Nothing  More" tracks the life of a young African American family, unfolding the obstinate realities of family, race, and the legal system, against the backdrop of the 2016 US presidential election.  In particular, the feature reveals the coming-of-age experience of the family’s young son who is forced to take on more familial responsibilities and whose search for connection with an absent father leads him to a dangerous crossroads. "Life and Nothing More" was awarded the Josh Simon Guggenheim Foundation   fellowship in 2017.  After premiering in Toronto, it will travel to San Sebastian Rome, Morelia and a has a number of US film festival invitations .  Antonio studied under Richard Peña, Andrew Sarris, Tom Kalin and Eric Mendelsohn ,  and received his Master of Fine Arts degree in Film from Columbia University. Antonio moved from Spain with his family to Tallahassee, FL. and teaches graduate directing classes at the College of Motion Picture Arts at Florida State University, where we are able to collaborate.
LIFE & NOTHING MORE  - Toronto World Premiere
FRI 8 SEPT | 16:30 | Scotiabank 13 | Industry
SAT 9 SEPT | 18:45 | Scotiabank 3 | Public
MON 11 SEPT | 08:45 | TIFF Bell Lightbox Cinema 4 | Public
THUR 14 SEPT | 21:15 | Scotiabank 7 | Industry
SUN 17 SEPT | 21:15 | Scotiabank 7 | Public

From Evan McNary (MFA 06)  “I want to reach out about a small feature I’m gearing up to direct in Atlanta this fall - tentatively October 17 - November 3. It’s a microbudget affair, with a story in the vein of Blue Ruin and Ballast. We’ll be shooting with a small, skeleton crew, all of which I’m hoping to find in Atlanta. There will be some pay included, along with deferred payment on the back end.  Atlanta native and my long time collaborator Josh Fritts will be the DP but otherwise, I’m looking to fill these other key positions…
 - Producer
- Soundmixer/boom - ideally a one-man band with their own gear
- 1AC
- Swing Gaffer/Grip
- Production Designer
Any suggestions for local crew, acting hubs (I’m also casting locally) or other resources in the Atlanta area would be awesome.   Contact me at mcnary.evan at gmail.com

Stage 32's location partner, Peerspace, has just reached over 6,000 available locations! Called the "Airbnb for filmmakers and creatives" you can now easily find and book production locations all online in one place!

Join fellow Stage 32 members who are using Peerspace<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__stage32.us14.list-2Dmanage1.com_track_click-3Fu-3De9d39ba3e4bb7adeb71dcf2d6-26id-3Ddfc3f7acf3-26e-3Ded78d88356&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=LJQw-Cr_mYPBcK6Xl8KyI2cQK3ZTqOZbUvOZxEBIHEg&m=LRzEbTvfPbADkQcekuhg1EQY2PWYstLel2YxOMKAntY&s=cJUPCz6EtEQprX-Me71tsqUI1ScOr_f26LM3PePdzeI&e=> for their shoots:

"

You can use Peerspace if you need locations for:
•      Film or photos shoots
•      Production meetings
•      Film premieres
•      Writers groups
•      Audition rooms
•      ADR & recording sessions
•      Green screens
•      Interview locations

The Television Academy Foundation’s Internship application period opens November 15, 2017 thru January 16, 2018. This change enables the notification of selected candidates sooner in the calendar year.  Applicants must apply online and mail in required materials. Updates to our categories and requirements will be posted mid-October on TelevisionAcademy.com/Internship<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__emmys.informz.net_z_cjUucD9taT02MzU0NTMyJnA9MSZ1PTc2Njc5OTQ1MCZsaT00NTU0NDI0OA_index.html&d=DwMBaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=q9uTLfBmzwboeZxiw2VGlY8GrtbiyplmMzxLaknLovY&m=1i7xkZWsDWnJpTyGdb2muq92XeeBaXzoM3u6ZBGwt1Y&s=q6NS_a_1qCDiqvxjwy-XawCVlgTaCVYvXKkybDKxQcQ&e=>.   NOTE:  These are GREAT internships – check them out!

If you were in the stadium in ATL for the FSU/Bama game, did you see me on the Jumbotron? First time ever, but I was sitting right behind 2 beautiful young girls!  The stadium was fantastic – an amazing experience, just be sure to take a jacket.  Only wish we’d played Bama a little later in the year!  And on the hurricane front, right now it’s business as usual at FSU.   We are all doing some hurricane prep and hoping its unnecessary, but it will be another day or two until we know for sure if we’ve escaped its primary path.

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – September 7, 2017

Rigor Mortis (MFA Thesis 2017 Matthew Robinson) was selected for the September monthly screening of the Miami Independent Film Festival in Miami Beach, FL. For more information about this festival, go to, http://miamindiefest.com<http://miamindiefest.com/>.

Rigor Mortis (MFA Thesis 2017 Matthew Robinson) was selected for screening at the Marina del Rey Film Festival, October 7-13. For more information about this festival, go to, http://marinadelreyfilmfestival.com<http://marinadelreyfilmfestival.com/>.

Murky Water (MFA Thesis 2016 Carl Rogers) was selected for screening at the Halloween International Film Festival in Kill Devil Hills, NC, October 26-28. For more information about this festival, go to, http://obxentertainment.com/halloweenfilmfestival/.

Murky Water (MFA Thesis 2016 Carl Rogers) and Caretaker (MFA Thesis 2016 Christopher Nold) were selected for screening at the Orlando Film Festival, October 19-26. For more information about this festival, go to, http://orlandofilmfest.com<http://orlandofilmfest.com/>.

Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) was selected for screening at The Halloween Horror Picture Show in Tampa, FL, September 30 – October 1. For more information about this festival, go to, http://thehalloweenhorrorpictureshow.com<http://thehalloweenhorrorpictureshow.com/>.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) was awarded Best Short Film at the Hollywood Just4Shorts Film and Screenplay Competition. For more information about this festival, go to, http://just4shorts.com/competition/.

You See ‘Em (BFA Documentary 2016 Emma Landeche) and Howl at the Moon (BFA F3 2017 Arielle Heiman) were selected for screening at the Y’allywood Film Festival in Atlanta, GA, October 9-15. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.yallywood.org<http://www.yallywood.org/>.

Meat (BFA F3 2017 Vishesh Pires) was selected for screening at the Tampa Bay International Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, October 6-14. For more information about this festival, go to, https://tiglff.com.

Stutter (MFA Thesis 2016 Ivo Huahua) was nominated for Best Script, Best Movie, Best Editing (Jeremiah Bodner ’16), and Best Actor for the Premios Claqueta 2017 (Claqueta Awards 2017) in Barcelona, Spain, October 7. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.cataloniafilmschool.com/premios-claqueta-fidec/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Philip K. Dick Film Festival in Cologne, Germany, October 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to, http://philipkdickfilmfestival-europe.com.

Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) was selected for screening at the Hope Film Awards in Las Vegas, NV, September 2017. For more information about the festival, go to, https://sites.google.com/view/hope-film-awards/home?authuser=5.

Rigor Mortis (MFA Thesis 2017 Matthew Robinson) was selected for a monthly screening of the Mindfield Film Festival – Los Angeles. For more information about this festival, go to, http://la.mindfieldfilmfest.com/winners.html.

Georgia to Maine (BFA Documentary 2016 Reid Lauff/Parker McBain) was selected for screening at the Maine Outdoor Film Festival in Portland, Maine, September 2 – October 7. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.maineoutdoorfilmfestival.com/.

Shark Attack (BFA Thesis 2016 Victoria Cragg/Grace Colley) and Blasted (BFA Thesis 2016 Christian Klein) were selected for screening at the Burbank International Film Festival, September 6-10. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.burbankfilmfest.org<http://www.burbankfilmfest.org/>.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Skyline Indie Film Fest in Winchester, VA, September 7-10. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.skylineindiefilmfest.org/.

Till Death (MFA D2 2016 Molly Roland) was selected for screening at FilmQuest in Provo, Utah, September 8-16. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.filmquestfest.com<http://www.filmquestfest.com/>.

The Wednesday Sessions (BFA F3 2017 Erin Smyth) was selected for screening at the HorrorHound Weekend Film Festival in Indianapolis, IN, September 8-10. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.horrorhoundweekend.com/.

Stutter (MFA Thesis 2016 Ivo Huahua) was selected for screening at AbilityFest 2017 in Chennai, India, September 11-14. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.abilityfoundation.org/ability_fest.html.

Meat (BFA F3 2016 Vishesh Pires) was selected for screening at STAMPED: Pensacola LGBT Film Festival, September 14-16. For more information about this festival, go to, http://stampedfilmfest.com/.

Falcons! (MFA D2 2016 Carolina Garrigo) and Sure-Fire (MFA Thesis 2016 Allison Izzo) were selected for screening at the Austin Revolution Film Festival in Austin, TX, September 19-23. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.austinrevolution.com/default.aspx.

Iris (MFA D2 2016 Nikki Lee), Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) and Devil’s Luck (MFA D2 2016 Rob Eaton) were selected for screening at the Rendezvous Film Festival on Amelia Island, September 21-23. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.rendezvousfestival.org/.

Deadmeat (BFA Thesis 2017 Drew Mazzarella/Sabrina Grimes) was selected for screening at the Women in Horror Film Festival in Atlanta, GA, September 22-24. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.wihff.com<http://www.wihff.com/>.

Nuggets (BFA Thesis 2016 Jamie Cernich) was selected for screening at the Catalina Film Festival in Los Angeles, CA, September 27 – October 1. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.catalinafilm.org/.

Murky Water (MFA Thesis 2016 Carl Rogers) was selected for screening at The Halloween Horror Picture Show in Tampa, FL, September 30 – October 1. For more information about this festival, go to, http://thehalloweenhorrorpictureshow.com<http://thehalloweenhorrorpictureshow.com/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) is an official selection of the European Independent Film Award, an online competition to be held September 30. For more information about this competition, go to www.theeifa.com.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the Baltimore International Black Film Festival, October 4-9. For more information about this festival, go to, http://bibff.com/.

My Josephine (BFA F3 2003 Barry Jenkins) was invited to screen at the Mill Valley Film Festival in San Rafael, CA, October 5-15 as part of a special retrospective. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.mvff.com<http://www.mvff.com/>.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the International Black Film Festival in Nashville, TN, October 5-8. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.ibffevents.com<https://www.ibffevents.com/>.

Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar) and The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) were selected for screening at the Tampa Bay International Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, October 6-14. For more information about this festival, go to, https://tiglff.com.

Today and Tomorrow and the Day After That (MFA D2 2017 Samuel Bellamy) was selected for screening at the Pride Film Festival in Chicago, IL, October 10 –
January 9. For more information about this festival, go to, http://pridefilmsandplays.com<http://pridefilmsandplays.com/>.

You See ‘Em (BFA Documentary 2016 Emma Landeche) was selected for screening at the New Orleans Film Festival, October 11-19. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.neworleansfilmfestival.org<http://www.neworleansfilmfestival.org/>.

Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) was selected for screening at the Way Down Film Festival in Columbus, GA, October 13-14. For more information on this festival, go to, http://www.waydownfilmfest.com.

Georgia to Maine (BFA Documentary 2016 Reid Lauff/Parker McBain) was selected for screening at the Travel FilmFest International Film Festival in Limassol, Cyprus, October 19-22. For more information about this festival, go to http://travelfilmfest.com/

Sanctuary (BFA Documentary 2015 Grace Marrero) was selected for screening at the Wildlife Conservation Film Festival in New York City, October 19-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.wcff.org<http://www.wcff.org/>.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen), Best Benefits and Uses for Peanut Oil, Vol 1 (BFA F1 2016 Cristy Trabada), and Ruckzuck (BFA Documentary 2017 Jacqueline Xerri) were selected for screening at the Melbourne Independent Filmmakers Festival in Melbourne, FL, October 20-21. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.melbournefilmfest.com.

Tate’s (BFA Documentary 2016 Nicole Low) was selected for screening at the Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival, November 3-19. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.fliff.com.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) was selected for screening at the San Jose International Short Film Festival, December 7-10. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.sjsff.com<http://www.sjsff.com/>.

Till Death (MFA D2 2016 Molly Roland) was selected for screening at the Silver Screen for Short Films film festival in Clearwater, Florida on January 10, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.silverscreenforshortfilms.com/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Short of April at the Gold Movie Awards in London, January 11, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.goldmovieawards.com<http://www.goldmovieawards.com/>.

Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) was selected for screening at the Miami Beach Film Festival, January 13-15, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.miamibeachfilmfest.com<https://www.miamibeachfilmfest.com/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Woman Filmmaker at the Hollywood International Moving Pictures Film Festival in Los Angeles, CA, January 27, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.himpff.com<http://www.himpff.com/>.

War Crimes (MFA D2 2016 Matthew Robinson) was selected for screening at Cinema Los Angeles, April 27-18, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://cinemalosangeles.com/.