[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 9.1.17

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Fri Sep 1 09:57:12 EDT 2017

Antonio Mendez’s (Directing Faculty at the Film School) film Life and Nothing More will premiere in Toronto, on September 9th.  Reb will be going up for the premiere, and of course Paul Cohen will be there.  If you are going to the TFF and want to catch up with Reb, Paul or Antonio, contact Reb’s assistant, Sabrina, and she will work something out for you:. sreisinger at fsu.edu<mailto:sreisinger at fsu.edu>

Paramount Players, the fledgling division hatched under president Brian Robbins<http://deadline.com/tag/brian-robbins/>, today announced its first exec hires. Ali Bell<http://deadline.com/tag/ali-bell/> (BFA 99)  and Matt Dines<http://deadline.com/tag/matt-dines/> will be exec vice presidents, both reporting to Robbins.  Read the Deadline article at http://deadline.com/2017/08/paramount-players-ali-bell-matt-dines-brian-robbins-1202157299/

From Joe Papa (BFA 10)  " I spent 5 years in an A-list literary agency rolling calls and managing calendars, everyone there kept telling me the statistics of indie films that are made without being picked up. Hearing that from successful people daily discouraged me a lot, but I'm glad I trusted my gut and did it anyway. I feel very fortunate, and in this scenario, being so stubborn finally paid off :)  We are proud to announce that we have officially closed a distribution deal with the Grammy nominated multi-platform online distribution company Comedy Dynamics, the largest independent stand-up comedy production and distribution company. Comedy Dynamics has worked with the great talents of Kevin Hart, Louise C.K., Aziz Ansari, Jim Gaffigan, and many more. This deal is a part of a larger expansion for Comedy Dynamics in scripted TV and film. Comedy Dynamics is available on most streaming platforms including; Hulu, Roku, iOS, Amazon, and Android. Soon Waiting On Mary with be available to view in the comfort of your home on your streaming devices. We are beyond thrilled to have a worldwide audience to share our project with. We couldn't have done it without our entire creative team, both in front and behind the camera, which includes FSU Alums Aaron Pagniano (BFA 12) , Stephen Grum (BFA 13) and Justin Sadler (BFA 17)  . A big thank you to the communities who supported us through the making of this film, our hilariously small budget of $30k wouldn't have seen us through without their support and generosity. We will have more news about the release dates and exactly which streaming platforms you can catch us on soon, but until then, I will continue pushing my next projects!"

Congratulations to Mithra Alavi (MFA 14)  who is now Executive Assistant to the CEO of Myriad Pictures!

Thanks to Luke Crowe (BFA 98) there is a super interview with our Kelsey Scott in Backstage:   https://www.backstage.com/interview/emmy-nominee-kelsey-scott-fear-walking-dead-passage-and-auditioning-toyota/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=editorial

Great interview with Will Sampson (BFA 09)  in Provideocoalition at https://www.provideocoalition.com/FilmmakerWillSampson

From Henry Tisdale (actor in many of our films)  “It is with pleasure to announce that I have been signed for a new Indie film shooting in October of this year for release in 2018. Please visit my IMDB page for all the details.  The film will be shot in the Birmingham AL surrounding area. Picture Quincy or Monticello. “

Seeking Writers
-The Third Cartel is a Michigan based production company that is seeking writers interested in genre based content.
-We are currently in pre-production of the competition reality show The Big Game and developing 3 comic books and 1 scripted show.
-These are non-union but paid freelance gigs. No Travel Necessary.
-Please send us a writing sample and a copy of your cv.  We wont have time to read multiple samples so please just send one or include log-lines.
-Because of the nature of sequential art writing, something that shows your aptitude at writing visual descriptions and character voices is preferred.
-If you have no interest in Genre fiction, this might not be the opportunity for you.
-If interested please contact cartel at thethirdcartel.com<mailto:cartel at thethirdcartel.com> for more information.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is seeking a short-term intern filmmaker/editor to lead or assist our organization in all aspects of developing a short nature documentary. The topic of the film will be climate resilience in Florida’s natural systems and wildlife.  Your responsibilities would include planning and developing the narrative and script, shooting footage, conducting interviews and editing.  You would be combining pre-recorded footage with your own and handling the editing process including sequencing and inputting music, graphics and effects.  We are seeking a candidate who is familiar with all aspects of creating and producing a short documentary (~15 minutes) from start to finish.  A candidate with some experience in and passion for nature documentaries is preferred.  To learn more, please send a resume and letter of interest to Lily Swanbrow Becker, lily.swanbrow at myfwc.com<mailto:lily.swanbrow at myfwc.com>.

SFFILM, the presenter of the San Francisco International Film Festival, has announced two new artist development programs as well other grants and partnerships. Supporting producers will be the New American Producer Fellowship, a program for a producer who has recently immigrated to the United States. Supported by the Flora Family Foundation and intended to “provide a stage for the perspectives of underrepresented filmmakers and to enrich the understanding, empathy, and curiosity of the general public,” the Fellowship will provide a $25,000 cash grant as well as an artist residency at SFFILM’s FilmHouse.. The new Women, Peace and Security Fellowship, supported by the Compton Foundation, will provide two artists “telling stories of women’s efforts to end conflict and advance peace” $25,000 grants (one in the Fall of 2017 and the other in the Spring of 2018).  Applications are now open through October 10, 2017 for the New American Producer Fellowship<http://www.sffilm.org/artist-development/grants-and-fellowships/new-american-producers-fellowship> and through October 3, 2017 for the Women, Peace and Security Fellowship.<http://www.sffilm.org/artist-development/grants-and-fellowships/women-peace-and-security-fellowship> Full details on all these awards here in the press release.<http://www.sffilm.org/press/releases/8-30-17-new-american-women-peace-fellowships>

From Nikki Parker Hayes (BFA'96)  “The Milken Family Foundation is seeking an experienced AVID editor to edit short promos for our website and live events. The dates we need are Monday, 9/18-Friday, 9/29. We may also need some additional work towards the end of October.  Our office hours are between 9am-6pm Monday- Friday and we are located in Santa Monica, one block from the Promenade. We will pay a day rate between $400-500 (depending on experience) and would like the candidate to work between 3-5 days each week. Here’s a link to some of the types of video you’d be working on: https://www.youtube.com/user/milkenaward<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_user_milkenaward&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=yqq4wru8ra42xz5jzUOp72Cxla0_Va_SzIy2qPoeB9k&s=4XPq_q2cr92qSp5wu3qyPKPnhEnb4eMziSQcYlvWcxE&e=>.  Please submit a reel and resumé to cs107 at mff.org<mailto:cs at mff.org>. Candidates must work in our Santa Monica office and must edit with  Avid Media Composer, no exceptions.”

“My name is Mike Whalen and I'm the chair of a search committee looking for an exciting new colleague in our Digital Filmmaking Program.  We particularly value candidates whose creative projects and teaching address one or more of the following aspects of digital filmmaking: film/TV production, virtual reality, and/or screenwriting. Their work can be in either the non-fiction or fiction genres, and we are especially interested in those that also touch on global, gender and/or intercultural issues.  We are accepting applications through September. The online link to apply is: https://jobs.scu.edu/postings/6082<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__jobs.scu.edu_postings_6082&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=EMMlpJUUrFusnlfBgl7qomE1ayfCEkKnQ2TYUMoTfCY&m=-66JVv2NY-a5lzLNYG94nn0jVa8NhUOVT7Vfv2vG_jk&s=DUoPYXZXCUOfW0RJYhcOQltmhCXz0EWdcjz2ZvktONc&e=>”

My husband, Gail, and I are going to spend the weekend in ATL with our kids and grandkids and will be going to the FSU/ALA game.  Excited!

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – August 31, 2017

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) was selected for screening at the San Jose International Short Film Festival, December 7-10. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.sjsff.com<http://www.sjsff.com/>.

Today and Tomorrow and the Day After That (MFA D2 2017 Samuel Bellamy) was selected for screening at the Pride Film Festival in Chicago, IL, October 10

January 9. For more information about this festival, go to, http://pridefilmsandplays.com<http://pridefilmsandplays.com/>.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) was awarded the First Place Winner and Sink or Swim (BFA Thesis 2017 Justin Burt) was awarded Honorable Mention at the Rehoboth Beach Film Society Morris & Roslyn Fierberg Student Film Award in Rehoboth Beach, DE. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.rehobothfilm.com/film_events_fierberg_student_film_award.html.

Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) was selected for screening at the Miami Beach Film Festival, January 13-15, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.miamibeachfilmfest.com<https://www.miamibeachfilmfest.com/>.

Rigor Mortis (MFA Thesis 2017 Matthew Robinson) was selected for a monthly screening of the Mindfield Film Festival – Los Angeles. For more information about this festival, go to, http://la.mindfieldfilmfest.com/winners.html.

Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) was selected for screening at the Hope Film Awards in Las Vegas, NV, September 2017. For more information about the festival, go to, https://sites.google.com/view/hope-film-awards/home?authuser=5.

Radial (BFA F3 2016 Mary Kate Broadway), Chocolate Lava Cake (MFA D1 2016 Xiao Ma), In Motion (BFA F1 2016 Raymond Knudsen), Dad in a Box (MFA D2 2016 Bethany Miller), TylerCam (BFA F1 2016 Jacqueline Xerri), Falling for You (MFA D1 2016 Laura Johnson), Spooky Breakup (MFA D1 2016 Jonpaul Rodriguez), Love and the Dozens (MFA D1 2016 Cole Goslee), Battle of the Brides (MFA Thesis 2016 Phillip Thomas), and Love is Blind (MFA D1 2016 Jonas Schubach) were selected for screening in the Central Florida Film Festival, Orlando, FL, September 1-3. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/>.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) and Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) were selected for screening at the Urban Film Festival in Miami, FL, September 1-3. For more information about this festival, go to, http://urbanfilmfestivals.com<http://urbanfilmfestivals.com/>.

TylerCam (BFA F1 2016 Jacqueline Xerri) and Till Death (MFA D2 2016 Molly Roland) were selected for screening at Dragon Con Independent Short Film Festival in Atlanta, GA, September 1-4. For more information about this festival, go to, www.filmfest.dragoncon.org<http://www.filmfest.dragoncon.org/>.

Georgia to Maine (BFA Documentary 2016 Reid Lauff/Parker McBain) was selected for screening at the Maine Outdoor Film Festival in Portland, Maine, September 2 – October 7. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.maineoutdoorfilmfestival.com/.

Shark Attack (BFA Thesis 2016 Victoria Cragg/Grace Colley) and Blasted (BFA Thesis 2016 Christian Klein) were selected for screening at the Burbank International Film Festival, September 6-10. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.burbankfilmfest.org<http://www.burbankfilmfest.org/>.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Skyline Indie Film Fest in Winchester, VA, September 7-10. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.skylineindiefilmfest.org/.

Till Death (MFA D2 2016 Molly Roland) was selected for screening at FilmQuest in Provo, Utah, September 8-16. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.filmquestfest.com<http://www.filmquestfest.com/>.

The Wednesday Sessions (BFA F3 2017 Erin Smyth) was selected for screening at the HorrorHound Weekend Film Festival in Indianapolis, IN, September 8-10. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.horrorhoundweekend.com/.

Stutter (MFA Thesis 2016 Ivo Huahua) was selected for screening at AbilityFest 2017 in Chennai, India, September 11-14. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.abilityfoundation.org/ability_fest.html.

Meat (BFA F3 2016 Vishesh Pires) was selected for screening at STAMPED: Pensacola LGBT Film Festival, September 14-16. For more information about this festival, go to, http://stampedfilmfest.com/.

Falcons! (MFA D2 2016 Carolina Garrigo) and Sure-Fire (MFA Thesis 2016 Allison Izzo) were selected for screening at the Austin Revolution Film Festival in Austin, TX, September 19-23. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.austinrevolution.com/default.aspx.

Iris (MFA D2 2016 Nikki Lee), Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) and Devil’s Luck (MFA D2 2016 Rob Eaton) were selected for screening at the Rendezvous Film Festival on Amelia Island, September 21-23. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.rendezvousfestival.org/.

Deadmeat (BFA Thesis 2017 Drew Mazzarella/Sabrina Grimes) was selected for screening at the Women in Horror Film Festival in Atlanta, GA, September 22-24. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.wihff.com<http://www.wihff.com/>.

Nuggets (BFA Thesis 2016 Jamie Cernich) was selected for screening at the Catalina Film Festival in Los Angeles, CA, September 27 – October 1. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.catalinafilm.org/.

Murky Water (MFA Thesis 2016 Carl Rogers) was selected for screening at The Halloween Horror Picture Show in Tampa, FL, September 30 – October 1. For more information about this festival, go to, http://thehalloweenhorrorpictureshow.com<http://thehalloweenhorrorpictureshow.com/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) is an official selection of the European Independent Film Award, an online competition to be held September 30. For more information about this competition, go to www.theeifa.com.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the Baltimore International Black Film Festival, October 4-9. For more information about this festival, go to, http://bibff.com/.

My Josephine (BFA F3 2003 Barry Jenkins) was invited to screen at the Mill Valley Film Festival in San Rafael, CA, October 5-15 as part of a special retrospective. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.mvff.com<http://www.mvff.com/>.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the International Black Film Festival in Nashville, TN, October 5-8. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.ibffevents.com<https://www.ibffevents.com/>.

Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar) and The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) were selected for screening at the Tampa Bay International Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, October 6-14. For more information about this festival, go to, https://tiglff.com.

You See ‘Em (BFA Documentary 2016 Emma Landeche) was selected for screening at the New Orleans Film Festival, October 11-19. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.neworleansfilmfestival.org<http://www.neworleansfilmfestival.org/>.

Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) was selected for screening at the Way Down Film Festival in Columbus, GA, October 13-14. For more information on this festival, go to, http://www.waydownfilmfest.com.

Georgia to Maine (BFA Documentary 2016 Reid Lauff/Parker McBain) was selected for screening at the Travel FilmFest International Film Festival in Limassol, Cyprus, October 19-22. For more information about this festival, go to http://travelfilmfest.com/

Sanctuary (BFA Documentary 2015 Grace Marrero) was selected for screening at the Wildlife Conservation Film Festival in New York City, October 19-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.wcff.org<http://www.wcff.org/>.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen), Best Benefits and Uses for Peanut Oil, Vol 1 (BFA F1 2016 Cristy Trabada), and Ruckzuck (BFA Documentary 2017 Jacqueline Xerri) were selected for screening at the Melbourne Independent Filmmakers Festival in Melbourne, FL, October 20-21. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.melbournefilmfest.com.

Tate’s (BFA Documentary 2016 Nicole Low) was selected for screening at the Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival, November 3-19. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.fliff.com.

Till Death (MFA D2 2016 Molly Roland) was selected for screening at the Silver Screen for Short Films film festival in Clearwater, Florida on January 10, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.silverscreenforshortfilms.com/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Short of April at the Gold Movie Awards in London, January 11, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.goldmovieawards.com<http://www.goldmovieawards.com/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Woman Filmmaker at the Hollywood International Moving Pictures Film Festival in Los Angeles, CA, January 27, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.himpff.com<http://www.himpff.com/>.

War Crimes (MFA D2 2016 Matthew Robinson) was selected for screening at Cinema Los Angeles, April 27-18, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://cinemalosangeles.com/.