[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 10.26.17

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Oct 26 14:42:09 EDT 2017

From Lorraine Portman (MFA 99): FALLING SOUTH is playing the Gig Harbor Film Festival.  October 28th at 2:35 pm in a block of shorts called "Different Directions."  FALLING SOUTH then has a Florida Premiere in the Fort Lauderdale Film Festival, playing Nov. 11 and 12th. As well as a New York premiere in the High Falls Film Festival, playing Saturday, Nov. 4 in the Local Shorts program.  One of the fun things about our festival run is that having shot the film in two countries and four states, we are local in a lot of places. We also play in The EyeCatcher International Film Festival in McAlester, Oklahoma, where lovely and talented Ashley Larsen will be representing Falling South. And the East Lansing Film Festival in Michigan. Lorraine will be in Gig Harbor, Rochester, and Fort Lauderdale and would love to connect with any FSU folks who might be there!

From Cody Gallo (BFA  05)   “Hi y'all! I'm looking for a crash pad on the Westside of LA near Fox studios from end of November through March 29th if anyone wants a "ghost" roommate. My wife and I still live in San Diego, but I'm working on Life in Pieces season 3 (CBS Comedy), so I need a place to sleep and shower Sunday through Thursday nights. You'll hardly see me since I work 12-14 hrs a day, get all my meals at work, and spend weekends in San Diego. We also only shoot three weeks on and take the fourth off. My ideal arrangement is with someone who doesn't really need / want a long term roommate but wouldn't mind a little extra cash week to week. Email at codygallo at gmail.com<mailto:codygallo at gmail.com> if you want to discuss.
Also, it's been quite a busy year. On top of having a 15-month-old daughter at home, last May I booked my first full-time Second 2nd AD gig on Chance season 2 (Hulu), and then halfway through the season I was promoted to Key 2nd AD for the remaining five episodes. It was a great experience all around, and then I went directly into my current job as Second 2nd AD on Life in Pieces without a day off. It's really busy out here in LA right now so we're always looking for good production assistants to come day-play on my show. If you're looking for work right now you can also shoot me an email with your contact info, and I'll try to bring you in for a day or two. I'm looking forward to completing this project and taking some time to travel and be home with the kid!”
Deadline for the @HBO APA Visionaries Short Film Competition is Nov 1! Submit your short film @ www.hbovisionaries.com. #HBOVisionaries (40kB)

From Amanda Farinos Ziegler (BFA 00)  “For the past two years my husband and I have been working at Reel FX in Dallas, TX. I came on board as Associate Production Manager on an animated feature developed by a pair of directors from Spain. After that, I rolled onto another movie we're working on for Warner Brothers. I also enjoyed revisiting the LEGO world when we did a few little commercial pieces for LEGO Batman/Chevrolet. It has been great being back in the United States for a while, and we were very excited to welcome our daughter Abigail this past July.”

From Will Sampson (BFA 09)  “Hey guys, I am excited to share a new music video I just DPed for Evanescence for the song Imperfections. It was produced by Dave Lawson (not FSU but producer of Spring and Endless) and did have FSUers Victor Ingles (BFA ADA 16)  as DIT, Charlie Malcolm (MFA 17) as camera PA, Christopher Oroza (BFA 10)did costume for little girl, and FSU actor Shane Brady. It was a lot of fun to shoot and involved some really challenging technical elements. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_XoKJP1XK4&feature=share<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3D7-5FXoKJP1XK4-26feature-3Dshare&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=KJfD5kF4GQtulIEklbuO-5e_Qr3ItPTpBXCSXRtETSw&s=zLVnCEjWl2Z5yKOV9JnlNU_TDe-_qCv1d7Sqg9DsBBo&e=>  Also excited to have just worked with Andrew Adams (BFA 08) on a fun little spot for SyFy for their October horror month along side Andrew Penczner (BFA 10)  and Melisse Sporn (BFA 14).

From Garrett Detrixhe (BFA ADA 15)  “I'm working as a Production Supervisor here in Atlanta. I've worked on a few indie films and quite a few pilots/series for Adult Swim. We had a pretty big FSU crew on my short film The Weight. Ines produced it. Chris Leary shot it. Landon Kovalick gaffed. Anthony Penczner (BFA 15) gripped. Warren Williams (BFA ADA 15) edited it for me out in LA. David Swinburne and Pete McClellan (step children to the film school) helped produce as well.  The Weight play at Y'allywood last weekend and it won their Best Drama award.”

From EJ Holowiki (MFA  00)  “At the beginning of the year I did a documentary called Icarus, which won an award at Sundance and was picked up by Netflix.  I then worked on Cars 3, which was a lot of fun, I had a blast going to the demolition derby and doing some sfx recording.  They made a good little short video of it,  you can see me recording in slow-motion:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpMAevhvdss.  I just finished Ferdinand, Blue Sky’s new animated.  I’m currently working on Ready Player One.  I’m always looking for interesting projects, so I encourage FSU Alum please feel free to contact me about doing sound for their projects.”

From Billy Mauer (BFA ADA 16)  “Since graduation I spent a few months at home. At the end of August of that year I moved out to Burbank where I started as a 3D Generalist Intern at CoSA VFX for 12 weeks. At the end of my internship they hired me on full time as a Junior 3D Generalist. I’ve been working at CoSA since then as a junior artist and have contributed on shows such as Westworld, Gotham, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Lethal Weapon, The Orville, and The Gifted.”

Christine Rodriguez (FSU Theatre) who acted in many of our films, will be in the Halloween episode of “This is Us” next week!

From Joe Morgan (MFA Writing 2016)  “I’m a Story/Animation PA on the Disney Junior show “Puppy Dog Pals,” produced at Wild Canary Animation. Animation is where I want to be, and I’m really enjoying the work. And if you know any small kids, tell them to watch “Puppy Dog Pals.” They’ll love it.”

From Courtney Harmstone (BFA  12)  “I would like to cordially invite any and all FSU alumni in Los Angeles to attend the screening of the short film, Indigo Valley, that I produced this summer in Iceland.  We are screening the film on November 5th at the Screening Services Group, 8670 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 112, Beverly Hills, CA, 90211.  There will be two screening times, 6:30 PM and 8 PM, and a discussion between screenings with myself and director, Jaclyn Bethany.  If you would like to attend, please RSVP with the screening time you are able to make to: edith at dumontmarketing.com<mailto:edith at dumontmarketing.com>.  I hope to see you there!  Please also feel free to contact me - I will be in LA @ AFM from the 30th of Oct. to Nov. 6th: chharmstone at gmail.com<mailto:chharmstone at gmail.com> or 843 637 7535.’

From Valliere Richard, Film School faculty member:  “I am in Krasnoyarsk, Russia which is in Siberia.  It's a lovely city which sits on the Yensei River.  As part of my Fulbright Fellowship I am teaching a documentary class for Masters students at the Siberian Federal University (SFU).  My Fulbright research project is a documentary on Siberian Documentary Filmmakers. I   have met some incredible filmmakers who do AMAZING work!!!!  Because Krasnoyarsk was a closed city for many years and not a tourist destination there is quite a bit of interest as to why an American is here.  In many cases I am the first American people have met.  It leads to some very interesting conversations.  The people are warm and friendly and quite intrigued.  They are very patient with me and my limited Russian.”

From Henry Tinsdale, actor in many of our films:   I owe the FSU Film School a grateful thank you for the past opportunities to work such talented students. Hopefully, another role will present itself so I can work with them again.  I would like to invite you visit Valdosta to see a feature film, Spook Bridge, on the big screen this Friday night if you have no other plans.  I know it is a little off the beaten path, but I think you would enjoy the show.  If anyone would be interested, I am providing a link to the web site of the movie with all the pertinent invitation.
http://www.spookbridge.com/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spookbridge.com_&d=DwMFAw&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=7tAa9BXAaUuJu8JtRkRLBI4-g_pz4VdNfm_m3pEXe5g&s=-Eto7DyA4ZTDX4FAn3S4qhQjhHvnD9UshQydd74yenA&e=>”  NOTE:  Henry plays the Sheriff in this film!

Glad to have George Reasner (MFA 94) back on campus for the next five weeks conducting ASC workshops for the MFA 2 class!

From Darren Hoffman (BFA  05)  “Just a quick note to let you know that I started a the new project with "The King of Tremé" Shannon Powell... a guitar and drums duo called Uncle Nephew<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__unclenephewmusic.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=MDF8XL0W_H7_e6P7A-_P-0FlFXTqT_2cYxvWoQ0HXn0&s=X3JbAqLVDrDmkv8i7BUL_aeJat8oMp1TJPeR6w7Q0Mc&e=>.  Our first release, a 4-song EP entitled "Blues" comes out this Friday, October 27th. We have a CD release party on November 5th at DBA on Frenchmen St. at 10PM. All the details are on this event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1332064286903404/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_events_1332064286903404_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=MDF8XL0W_H7_e6P7A-_P-0FlFXTqT_2cYxvWoQ0HXn0&s=iw4m6LL3wj1U7Ze1tOcHLetHM13G2U0xCZbk8NdfiLg&e=> Hope to see you there, and bring friends :) - If you can't make it... and/or want to support, you can pre-order the EP here: https://unclenephewmusic.bandcamp.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unclenephewmusic.bandcamp.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=MDF8XL0W_H7_e6P7A-_P-0FlFXTqT_2cYxvWoQ0HXn0&s=9K8mdal314kdMMVBKWzRyZb6jCnYfUgoiK0dhFlXzt0&e=>”    NOTE:   Darren is the guitar guy!

From Jonas Schubach (MFA2)  ““Dirty Money” and “Heavens” (both made at the University of Memphis) got into Tampa Bay Underground Film Festival.”

Dr. Tomasulo (former Film School faculty member) shares this job listing: Ataboy Studios in NY is looking for an Executive Producer via LinkedIn.  They also have studios in New Zealand.  https://tinyurl.com/y95lxtgv

Job Title: Intern - Development / Production / Marketing:  Myriad Pictures, Los Angeles Job Description: Complete script coverage (read scripts that are submitted to us in order to be considered as potentially films and then write a short synopsis of the plot as well as comment about what makes the script strong or weak). Interns' opinions on each script will be heard in our Friday Submissions Meetings where about 10 people come together, including our VPs of Sales , Acquisitions, Development, and our CEO. Interns will also be asked to watch films and write up coverage on completed films to see if we would want to acquire them. They help out with our Actor/Actress/Director grids which includes researching specific information about them and calling their agencies to find out their availability to be a part of upcoming projects. They will gain valuable desk experience while covering reception a few times a week-fielding calls and greeting clients. Interns can also track films for Acquisitions-check different online platforms for new projects on the horizon. If interested, they can also shadow our CEO's assistant's desk a few times to gain knowledge on the verbiage of what is needed to be an assistant in the entertainment industry. Salary: For school credit only. Contact us: Please send resume in .pdf and cover letter in body of email to mithra.alavi at myriadpictures.com<mailto:mithra.alavi at myriadpictures.com>”   NOTE if you want the complete description, send me an email and I’ll send it to you.

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – October 26 2017

Blasted (BFA Thesis 2016 Christian Klein) was awarded Outstanding Production Value at the Laughlin International Film Festival in Laughlin, Nevada, October 12-15. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/Laughlinfilmfestival.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) was awarded Best Documentary and Thump (BFA F3 2017 Ben Roth) was awarded Best Animation at the Melbourne Independent Filmmakers Festival in Florida, October 20-21. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.melbournefilmfest.com/.

Ms. Omniscience (MFA D2 2017 Xiao Ma) and The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien are Semi-Finalists and official selections of the Hollywood International Moving Pictures Film Festival. The yearly award ceremony is January 27 in Hollywood. For more information about this competition, go to http://himpff.com<http://himpff.com/>.

Murky Water (MFA Thesis 2016 Carl Rogers) was selected for screening at the South Carolina Underground Film Festival in Charleston, November 11-12. For more information this festival, go to http://www.sc-uff.com/.

The Bellerose Resort (BFA Thesis 2017 Grace Marrero) and Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) were selected for screening at the Fake Flesh Film Fest in Kamloops, British Columbia, October 27-31. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/FakeFleshFilmFest/.

The Waiting (BFA F3 2017 Grace Stalley) and Baphomet High (MFA D2 2017 Rebecca Raymond) were selected for screening at the Florida Horror Film Festival in Tampa on November 12. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/FloridaHorrorFilmFestival.

Meat (BFA F3 2017 Vishesh Pires) was invited to open for Night of the Living Dead at the Blue Tavern in Tallahassee on November 1.

Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nick Markart) was selected for screening at the North Dakota Human Rights Film & Arts Festival in Fargo, November 15-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.human-family.org<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.human-2Dfamily.org&d=DwMFAg&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=xIpHzcuwX3JVa7Cos0-8rp9kWVUsRgJBtEEOHh36rPc&m=rY4X8tfUQRpnWbq86p5CjeZkVTg-E-VisCk6kA3h-eE&s=SjBzlf7IEY7hvk1MGs-bmblaPSl8zFDdj4LIl1x9BT4&e=>.

Ruckzuck (BFA Documentary 2017 Jacqueline Xerri), Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Calderon), Meat (BFA F3 2017 Vishesh Pires), Lady Plum (BFA F3 2017 Grayson Goga), You See ‘Em (BFA Documentary 2017 Emma Landeche), A Body of Art (BFA Documentary 2017 Millicent Jenkins), Building Bridges (BFA Documentary 2017 Ryland Carlin), Falling for You (MFA D1 2016 Laura Johnson), The Wednesday Sessions (BFA F3 2017 Erin Smyth), Not My God (BFA F3 2017 Anthony Romaguera), Jeremy (BFA F3 2017 Nicole Pacheco), A Little Drama (MFA D1 2016 Brandon Shenk), Caretaker (MFA Thesis 2016 Christopher Nold), Love is Blind (MFA D1 2016 Jonas Schubach) and The Bradford Experiment (MFA D1 2016 James Leming) were selected for screening at the Tampa Bay Underground Film Festival (TBUFF) in Seminole, November 30 – December 3. For more information about this festival, go to http://tbuff.org/.

Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nick Markart) was selected for screening at the Fort Lauderdale Film Festival, November 3-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.fliff.com.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) has been invited to screen on Comcast’s Cinema Asian America video-on-demand platform for the month of October. For more information about this series, go to caamedia.org.

Today and Tomorrow and the Day After That (MFA D2 2017 Samuel Bellamy) was selected for screening at the Pride Film Festival in Chicago, IL, October 10 –
January 9. For more information about this festival, go to, http://pridefilmsandplays.com<http://pridefilmsandplays.com/>.

Weak or no Signal (MFA Thesis 2017 Molly Roland) was selected for screening at I’m Not Gonna Move to L.A.: a monthly film festival in Miami, FL, October 16 – November 1. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.filmgate.miami/nola/.

Murky Water (MFA Thesis 2016 Carl Rogers) and Caretaker (MFA Thesis 2016 Christopher Nold) were selected for screening at the Orlando Film Festival, October 19-26. For more information about this festival, go to, http://orlandofilmfest.com<http://orlandofilmfest.com/>.

Sanctuary (BFA Documentary 2015 Grace Marrero) was selected for screening at the Wildlife Conservation Film Festival in New York City, October 19-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.wcff.org<http://www.wcff.org/>.

Blasted (BFA Thesis 2016 Christian Klein) was selected for screening at the San Francisco International New Concept Film Festival in San Bruno, CA, October 25-29. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.sfnewfilm.org<http://www.sfnewfilm.org/>.

Murky Water (MFA Thesis 2016 Carl Rogers) was selected for screening at the Halloween International Film Festival in Kill Devil Hills, NC, October 26-28. For more information about this festival, go to, http://obxentertainment.com/halloweenfilmfestival/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Philip K. Dick Film Festival in Cologne, Germany, October 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to, http://philipkdickfilmfestival-europe.com<http://philipkdickfilmfestival-europe.com/>.

The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) was selected for screening at the Portland Film Festival in Portland, OR, October 30-November 5. For more information about this festival, go to, http://portlandfilmfestival.com<http://portlandfilmfestival.com/>.

Mother Road (BFA Documentary 2016 Bobby Tucker/Nathan Cohen) was selected for screening at the Route 66 Film Festival in Springfield, IL, November 3-4. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.route66filmfestival.net<http://www.route66filmfestival.net/>.

Tate’s (BFA Documentary 2016 Nicole Low) was selected for screening at the Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival, November 3-19. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.fliff.com<http://www.fliff.com/>.
Into the Rain (MFA D2 2016 Layne Inselman) was selected for screening at the EyeCatcher International Film Festival in McAlester, Oklahoma, November 8-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.eyecatcherfilmfest.com.

Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart) was selected for screening at the St. Cloud Film Fest in Saint Cloud, MN, November 4-11. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.stcloudfilmfest.com<http://www.stcloudfilmfest.com/>.

Thank You for the Music (MFA Thesis 2015 Spencer Frankeberger) and The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 YuYing Chien) were selected for screening at the Chicago International Movies & Music Festival, November 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to, http://cimmfest.org<http://cimmfest.org/>.

A Trail Forward (BFA Documentary 2017 William Harrison) was selected for screening at the Rome International Film Festival in Rome, GA, November 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to, http://riffga.com<http://riffga.com/>.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen), Maria (BFA F3 2017 Iliana Ipes), Smoked (MFA D2 2017 Jonas Schubach), Meat (BFA F3 2017 Vishesh Pires), If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) and The Waiting (BFA F3 2017 Grace Stalley)  were selected for screening at the Kite Film Festival in Destin, FL, November 11. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.facebook.com/events/985086588294957.

Falling for You (MFA D1 2016 Laura Johnson) and War Crimes (MFA D2 2016 Matthew Robinson) were selected for screening at the Austin Comedy Short Film Festival in Austin, TX, November 13. For more information about this festival, go to, https://austincomedyshortfilmfestival.com<https://austincomedyshortfilmfestival.com/>.

Caretaker (MFA Thesis 2016 Christopher Nold) and Still November (BFA F3 2017 Reid Lauff) were selected for screening at the Key West Film Festival, November 15-19. For more information about this festival, go to, https://kwfilmfest.com<https://kwfilmfest.com/>.

Rigor Mortis (MFA Thesis 2017 Matthew Robinson) was selected for screening at the Buried Alive Film Festival in Atlanta, GA, November 16-19. For more information about this festival, go to, http://buriedalivefilmfest.com<http://buriedalivefilmfest.com/>.

Spooky Breakup (MFA D1 2016 Jonpaul Rodriguez) and Reunion (BFA Documentary 2017 Brady Holcomb) were selected for screening at the 2017 Southern Screen Festival in Lafayette, LA, November 16-19. For more information about this festival, go to, http://southernscreen.org<http://southernscreen.org/>.

The Art of Foley (MFA D2 2017 Sara Karimipour), The Wednesday Sessions (BFA F3 2017 Erin Smyth), Cycle (BFA F3 2017 Erik Kallin), and Daughters of the Revolution (BFA Documentary 2017 Elyse Carley) were selected for screening at Et Cultura in St. Petersburg, FL, November 17-19. For more information about this festival, go to, https://etcultura.com<https://etcultura.com/>.

The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) was selected as a finalist in the Just4Shorts Online Short Film Festival and Screenplay Competition in Los Angeles, CA, November 18. For more information about this festival, go to, http://just4shorts.com/competition/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at the Chinese American Film Festival in West Covina, CA, November 2-30. For more information about this festival, go to, http://cafilmfestival.org/en/.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) was selected for screening at the San Jose International Short Film Festival, December 7-10. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.sjsff.com<http://www.sjsff.com/>.

Thank You for the Music (MFA Thesis 2015 Spencer Frankeberger) was selected for screening at the US Hollywood International Golden Film Festival, December 12. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.higfa.com<http://www.higfa.com/>.

Till Death (MFA D2 2016 Molly Roland) was selected for screening at the Silver Screen for Short Films film festival in Clearwater, Florida on January 10, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.silverscreenforshortfilms.com/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Short of April at the Gold Movie Awards in London, January 11, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.goldmovieawards.com<http://www.goldmovieawards.com/>.

Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) was selected for screening at the Miami Beach Film Festival, January 13-15, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.miamibeachfilmfest.com<https://www.miamibeachfilmfest.com/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Woman Filmmaker at the Hollywood International Moving Pictures Film Festival in Los Angeles, CA, January 27, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.himpff.com<http://www.himpff.com/>.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) was selected for screening at the Around International Film Festival in Barcelona, Spain, March 9, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://aroundfilms.com<http://aroundfilms.com/>.

War Crimes (MFA D2 2016 Matthew Robinson) was selected for screening at Cinema Los Angeles, April 27-18, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://cinemalosangeles.com/.or more information about this festival, go to, http://cinemalosangeles.com/