[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 5.25.17

Warren, Meryl mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu May 25 14:06:43 EDT 2017

It’s a REB LETTER WEEK  at The Film School! Provost Sally McRorie has announced her appointment of Reb Braddock as permanent Dean of the College of Motion Picture Arts!   This is especially amazing since she did this without a national search (which is rare in academia).  Reb had the unanimous support of our faculty (another rarity), as well as that of both former deans, Ray Fielding and Frank Patterson and many alumni.  We are all extremely excited, happy, relieved, and delighted that Reb has made the trek from Equipment Room Manager (his first job with the Film School) to Dean, where we know his vision will lead is forward as no one else could.  You can read the press release at http://news.fsu.edu/news/university-news/2017/05/23/braddock-named-dean-college-motion-picture-arts/

From Nestor Bustamante (BFA 13), “After graduating from the film school, I entered law school, hoping to gain the ability to help my classmates as they embark on future projects and tell wonderful stories. After 3 years of hard work, including a two year clerkship at D&L MediaWorks, a south Florida entertainment law firm, I have finally graduated from the University of Florida Levin College of Law! I am currently preparing for the Florida Bar exam and come August, I will be joining Sellars, Marion & Bachi, P.A., a Florida litigation firm that represents clients in a wide variety of legal issues. My passion for film has not extinguished, and through dedicated representation, I hope to help many of you tell your stories in the future. Sending love and positive vibes to the entire FSU Film community, take care and keep on making great work!”

From Ashley Miller (MFA 08)  “I just finished my first week at NRCS (Natural Resources Conservation Service, under the USDA) in Washington, DC. I was selected as a Presidential Management Fellow after completing my PhD in Communications (only about 400 of 6,000 applicants become finalists). I'll be working on Education and Youth Outreach, helping to develop their strategy and materials. If there are any alum in DC or in government work, I would love to hear from you:   ashleyfmiller at gmail.com<mailto:ashleyfmiller at gmail.com> “

From Eric Bader (MFA 09)  “I had the pleasure of shooting Seasons 5 and 6 of "Decker" for Cartoon Network's Adult Swim with fellow alumni Matt Ryan  (MFA 11) and Ben Verhulst (BF 09) joining me as A-camera operator and steadicam, respectively. It's a wacky show starring Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkington, and it is equal parts a parody of incompetent B-movies and a satire of right wing politics. Season 5 debuts on June 4th, and check out the trailer here: https://www.facebook.com/adultswim/videos/10155170584306745/ and a great write up in Flavorwire here: http://flavorwire.com/602021/forget-snl-decker-is-the-best-satire-of-the-trump-era”

From Rika Bhakta (MFA 2)  “I was honored to be recognized by the PGA and be chosen as one of three finalist for the Debra Hill Fellowship. As a runner up, I was given a comped registration to the Produced By Conference in Los Angeles; I am very excited to attend and listen to all of the different speakers, learn more about the field that I want to go into, especially the sessions on the television market (it’s the equivalent of Disney for an aspiring producer). Another added benefit of being selected is gaining a new mentor in LA who will be helping me network with more members of the PGA and will also be helping me get involved with other organizations such as Women In Film. I’m taking advantage of the time in LA to set up meetings with alumni and people in the industry to help me prepare for my future and eventual move to LA in August. If there are any alumni around that want to catch up, offer any advice, let me know! I will be there June 8-13!  (rika.bhakta at gmail.com<mailto:rika.bhakta at gmail.com>) “

From Carlos David Rivera (BFA 07):   “Andrew Hevia<https://www.facebook.com/AndrewHevia?fref=mentions>'s (BFA  06)   film, "Leave The Bus Through the Broken Window," edited by yours truly, was accepted to the Independent Filmmaker Project Labs and we can finally share the good news!

Matt Perrin, colorist, will be here working with the MFA 2d years on coloring their thesis films.

From Samantha Polan (BFA  09)  “Would you please post this job listing on the Warren Report for me? The position is for a documentary that I'm the Co-Producer of:  Los Angeles-based documentary production team in search of dynamic office Production Assistant available immediately.  Candidates must be organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated, a confident communicator and have a reliable vehicle.  Opportunity to work with top-tier filmmakers on a feature documentary about an important social issue. Film is scheduled for completion in early 2018.   This is a production and post-production position with administrative duties.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
•   Call log and scheduling for Lead Producer
•   General office support to production and post-production team including: updating contact sheets, office runs, tracking and proofreading transcripts, organizing releases, general organization of production documents on google drive, misc. office research, etc.
•   The potential for involvement in outreach and social media campaign.
•   Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word and Excel), Google Drive, Dropbox is required.
Must have excellent communication skills, good attitude, the ability to work in a team-environment, must be able to multi-task, strong time-management skills, reliability, ready to jump in. Please send resume and cover letter to: FirethorneFilms at gmail.com<mailto:FirethorneFilms at gmail.com>.

Dances With Films is seeking Volunteers of all kinds! It's the end of May, which means Dances With Films 20 is quickly approaching!  And we are looking for you!  We happily invite you to help make the 2017 DWF Festival bigger and better than ever.  There are opportunities in almost every department - from photo and video shooters to ticket takers to helping set up for panel discussions - we have something for every one. Dances With Films serves as an excellent opportunity for actors and filmmakers to meet and engage with working filmmakers and other industry professionals.  If you want to learn a bit more about Dances With Films<http://www.danceswithfilms.com/>, simply check out our website. If you do want to volunteer, we would greatly appreciate it if you could take a few minutes to fill out this form:
VOLUNTEER SIGN UP<http://danceswithfilms.com/volunteer/>
Kenny Allen will be our new volunteer coordinator this year, so he will get back to you once we receive your form.  We do have a need for volunteers at this current time, although it is during the main festival that we really need as many of you as possible!  Do let us know if you can put in a few hours starting right away though.

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – May 25, 2017

Super Chef (MFA Thesis 2015 Rochelle Rose) was selected for screening at the San Francisco Black Film Festival, June 15-18. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.sfbff.org/wordpress/.

A Little Drama (MFA D1 Brandon Shenk) was selected for screening at the North Carolina Gay and Lesbian Film Festival in Durham, NC, for more information about this festival, go to, http://www.carolinatheatre.org/films/festivals/ncglff.

The Wall (D3 2007 Michael Lloyd Green) was invited to screen in a Best Of screening at the San Diego Jewish Film Festival in June. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.sdcjc.org/sdjff/current/.

Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) was selected for screening at the GI Film Festival in Washington DC, May 24-28. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.gifilmfestival.com/.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the Phoenix Comicon Film Festival, May 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to, https://phoenixcomicon.com<https://phoenixcomicon.com/>.

Snapped (MFA D2 2016 Zarmala Gilani) was selected for screening at the Saints and Sinners Film Festival in Orlando, FL, May 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.saintsandsinnersfilmfestival.com<http://www.saintsandsinnersfilmfestival.com/>.

Exposure (MFA D1 2016 Mary Jeanes) was selected for screening at Dances with Films in Los Angeles, June 1-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.danceswithfilms.com<http://www.danceswithfilms.com/>.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) was selected for screening at the Deadcenter Film Festival in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, June 8-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.deadcenterfilm.org.

Concessions (MFA D2 2016 Sam Bartz) was selected for screening at the Cape Fear Independent Film Festival in Wilmington, NC, June 15-17. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.cfifn.org/.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the San Francisco Black Film Festival, June 15-18. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.sfbff.org/wordpress/.

Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) was selected for screening at the New York Sun Fest (NYSF), June 16-18. For more information about this festival, go to, http://nysunfest.weebly.com<http://nysunfest.weebly.com/>.

In Motion (BFA F1 2016 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the Roxbury International Film Festival in Boston, June 21 – July 1. For more information about this festival, go to http://roxburyinternationalfilmfestival.org<http://roxburyinternationalfilmfestival.org/>.

Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar) and Snapped (MFA D2 2016 Zarmala Gilani) were selected for screening at the Terminus Conference and Festival in Atlanta, GA, June 22-25. For more information about this festival, go to, https://terminusevent.com<https://terminusevent.com/>.

Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) was selected for screening at the Miami Independent Film Festival, June 23-25. For more information about this festival, go to, http://miamindiefest.com<http://miamindiefest.com/>.

TylerCam (BFA F1 2016 Jacqueline Xerri) was selected for screening at the Long Island International Film Expo, July 13-20. For more information about this film festival, go to, http://longislandfilm.com.

Wildfire (BFA Thesis 2016 Collin Lockett) was selected for screening at the Super Geek Film Festival in Fort Lauderdale, FL, July 14-30. For more information about this festival, go to, http://floridasupercon.com/category/events/geek-film-festival/.

Wildfire (BFA Thesis 2016 Collin Lockett), Radial (BFA F3 2016 Mary Kate Broadway), Beta Test (BFA F3 2016 Gabe Souza), Rad Rovers (BFA Thesis 2016 Turner Sinopoli), Karman (BFA Thesis 2016 Austin Baur), Mystery Jones! Back in Business (BFA Thesis 2015 Paul Ramsdell), and Iris (MFA D2 2016 Nikki Lee) were all selected for screening at The Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, CA, July 20-23. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.comic-con.org/cci/film-festival.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the Macon Film Festival in Macon, GA, July 20-23. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.maconfilmfestival.com/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at the Stony Brook Film Festival in Stony Brook, NY, July 20-29. For more information about this festival, go to, http://stonybrookfilmfestival.com<http://stonybrookfilmfestival.com/>.

Still Life (BFA F1 2015 Gabriel Valbuena) was selected for competition in the Prince of Prestige Academy Awards in Winter Park, Florida on July 30. For more information about this festival, go to http://popfilmaward.com/.

Isa and the Frog Prince (MFA Thesis 2015 Yingxiang Huang) was invited to screen in the 22° Festival Internacional de Cine para Niños (…y no tan Niños) in La Matatena, Mexico, August 8-13. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.lamatatena.org/el-festival-de-cine.html.

Flying High (BFA FD3 2015 Christian Klein) was selected for screening at the IndieWise Virtual Film Festival, August 25-27. For more information about this festival, go to http://convention.getindiewise.com.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles Independent Film Festival Awards, August 26. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.laiffawards.com<http://www.laiffawards.com/>.

Radial (BFA F3 2016 Mary Kate Broadway), Chocolate Lava Cake (MFA D1 2016 Xiao Ma), In Motion (BFA F1 2016 Raymond Knudsen), Dad in a Box (MFA D2 2016 Bethany Miller), TylerCam (BFA F1 2016 Jacqueline Xerri), Falling for You (MFA D1 2016 Laura Johnson), Spooky Breakup (MFA D1 2016 Jonpaul Rodriguez), Love and the Dozens (MFA D1 2016 Cole Goslee), Battle of the Brides (MFA Thesis 2016 Phillip Thomas), and Love is Blind (MFA D1 2016 Jonas Schubach) were selected for screening in the Central Florida Film Festival, Orlando, FL, September 1-3. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/>.

Georgia to Maine (BFA Documentary 2016 Reid Lauff/Parker McBain) was selected for screening at the Travel FilmFest International Film Festival in Limassol, Cyprus, October 19-22. For more information about this festival, go to http://travelfilmfest.com/

Sanctuary (BFA Documentary 2015 Grace Marrero) was selected for screening at the Wildlife Conservation Film Festival in New York City, October 19-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.wcff.org<http://www.wcff.org/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Short of April at the Gold Movie Awards in London, January 11, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.goldmovieawards.com<http://www.goldmovieawards.com/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Woman Filmmaker at the Hollywood International Moving Pictures Film Festival in Los Angeles, CA, January 27, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.himpff.com<http://www.himpff.com/>.