[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] IMPORTANT RED CAMERA UPDATE: Regarding Crop Factors

Slade, Keith kslade at fsu.edu
Thu May 25 08:47:26 EDT 2017

Hi All -

If you are using the film school's DSLR Viewfinder to frame for the Helium 8K Sensor in 6K Mode please use .937 crop factor.

Example:

I want to use a 50mm prime lens from my package. I am shooting in 6k Mode on the RED Helium 8K S35 Camera (the RED cameras we use at the film school)

To find out the framelines for your 50mm lens on the DSLR you do the following:

50 X .937 = 46.85

Set your DSLR lens to approximately 47mm and the frame lines in the DSLR will approx. match the framelines of your RED.

As an additional note, to find any crop factor when converting an approximate Field of View from one sensor size to another sensor size use the following formula.

Original Sensor Size's Diagonal divided by Target Sensor Size's Diagonal. Most camera manufacturer post their sensor dimensions online. If you need to find the diagonal of a two dimensional rectangle, remember your trusty old hypotenuse formula from High School Math (see you do use this stuff) W(squared) + H(squared) = (Square Root) SUM

Thanks and I hope this clears up any confusion.

Keith Slade: Assistant in Film: Cinematography
Florida State University: College of Motion Picture Arts (Film School)
A3100 University Center, Tallahassee, FL 32306-2350

Phone: 850.728-4413
Fax: 850.644.2626
kslade at filmschool.fsu.edu
twitter.com/PhotonStack
file://localhost/Users/kslade/Desktop/Work%20Related/fsulogo%20for%20signature.bmp