[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren 'report 5.19.17

Warren, Meryl mwarren at fsu.edu
Fri May 19 17:06:00 EDT 2017

At the BFA 17 graduation a couple of weeks ago, several awards were given to the new alumni:

Lily Ziegler—Power House Creative Space Award; $1000 + Desk at Power House for 6 months
Emily Mills—Bold Reach Award; $6000
Justin Sadler—Chip Chalmers Mentor Award; $2500

Chris Alender (BFA  98)  tells me that “the forum was a huge success. Michael Giacchino was extremely gracious, informative, and charming. He spent a long time afterward chatting with graduates, signing Star Wars records, and taking photos.”  Big thanks to Chris for organizing and hosting these forums at Soapbox!

“First Plan B and now Barry Jenkins<http://deadline.com/tag/barry-jenkins/> (BFA  03) . Annapurna<http://deadline.com/tag/annapurna/> has partnered with Pastel<http://deadline.com/tag/pastel/>, the production company behind this year’s Best Picture winner Moonlight. The two-year film production deal includes a feature project to be directed by Barry Jenkins which is already in development at Pastel. The deal also includes future films from PASTEL partners Jenkins, Adele Romanski (BFA 04), Sara Murphy, and Mark Ceryak (BFA 03). Moonlight, of course, was produced by Romanski and Plan B so might as well get the entire gang under one roof.”  Read the rest of the story from Deadline at http://deadline.com/2017/05/moonlight-filmmaker-barry-jenkins-annapurna-1202094689/

From Jermaine Charles:  “there's been a lot going on in my world lately and I'd love for you to share that I have moved out to New York with everyone else in the FSU network so that I can connect with them as well. I'm now wrapping up my third week as the Manager of Compliance at AMC Networks, where I am charged with keeping track of FCC regulation and setting internal media management policies for all five stations under the AMC umbrella (AMC, IFC, Sundance, We TV and BBC America). I have also been accepted into the "Media Advanced Management Program" for Entertainment Executives at IESE International Business School and UCLA Anderson. I will likely be joining the 2019 cohort of the program which consists of 5 modules split between NYC, LA, and Barcelona. Here's a link in case you'd like to see more about it:
http://www.iese.edu/en/executive-education/advanced-management-program-media-entertainment/what-will-learn/ “  If you’d like to reconnect with Jermaine, you can contact him at jermaine.t.charles at gmail.com<mailto:jermaine.t.charles at gmail.com>

From Michael Kuge (MFA  91)  “I just finished cutting the independent feature film “Dead On Arrival” starring D.B. Sweeney, Christa B. Allen, Chris Mulkey and Billy Flynn.  Shot in Louisiana, the film is a re-working of the noir thriller from 1950 entitled “DOA”.  It was an incredibly fast schedule for a feature but the film looks great and will be hitting the festival circuit early this summer.  Fun fact—the film features a cameo from the daughter of Edmund O’Brien, the lead in the 1950 film.”

From Michael Lloyd Green (MFA  08)  “Here are a couple write-ups  that came out a few weeks ago. Can’t wait to show the film at FSU!
 http://variety.com/2017/film/global/mister-smith-acquires-scifi-thriller-mother-clara-rugaard-1202408030/
 http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/black-list-sci-fi-thriller-mother-gets-production-funding-screen-australia-1000111