[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 5.11.17

Warren, Meryl mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu May 11 09:33:37 EDT 2017

Film Forum  LA (sponsored by the Dean’s Council of Alumni and hosted by Chris Alender at Soapbox).  FSU FILM FORUM LA - An evening with Michael Giacchino.  Join us for a moderated conversation followed by Q&A with the Emmy, Grammy, Golden Globe, and Academy Award-winning composer of Lost, The Incredibles, Jurassic World, Star Trek, Star Wars, and too many more to count -- Michael Giacchino.
Thu, May 18, 2017
7:00 PM – 9:00 PM PDT
Soapbox Films Sound Stage,
1011 West Isabel Street, Burbank, CA 91506
Tickets are $12 - go to  https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fsu-film-forum-an-evening-with-michael-giacchino-tickets-34366519184 to register.
Light snacks, beer and wine following the conversation.

We had a great time in NY this week – full house at Lincoln Center for our screening; great reception following with several alums we hadn’t seen in several years attending.  So sorry I had to return today and miss the alumni dinner in Brooklyn.   Looking forward to next time!

From Nicholas Correnti:  I’m (BFA 07) in this Omaze Star Wars prank video as “the director" with Mark Hamill, Luke Skywalker himself.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz2UnciOIfI.  It was actually directed by Justin Lazernik (BFA 08) and the Director of Content is Brent Pritchett (BFA 07).

From Josh Cartright (BFA 13)  “Life Update: I received my Master of Arts degree from Wesley Theological Seminary yesterday. I will likely remain in Pennsylvania for a little while (at least a year or two), and have spoken with fellow seminary graduates and professors about creating documentary and narrative films lifting up the marginalized - chiefly, stories that aren't commonly told. As of now, these projects are still in the pipeline, but I will keep you posted as life unfolds! I am looking for a video production/marketing position in Lancaster and Baltimore to pay the bills as I pursue these passion projects. But if you have anyone you can put me in touch with on either front, I am open to collaboration, as well as advice. Hope that all of my FSU film family members are doing well! I also want to give a shoutout to "Moonlight" because it did (and does) exactly what I aim to do with film - telling an important story that is never generally told and respecting its characters for their humanity. I would not have arrived at knowing what to focus my filmmaking on were it not for my seminary experience, or seeing "Moonlight". If you have any questions for me, I would be happy to answer them!”  Contact for Josh:   jaytc292 at gmail.com<mailto:jaytc292 at gmail.com>

From Christina Campagnola (BFA  )  “Admin job opening in LA at a well known indie film sales, production, finance company. This is an entry level job perfect for someone who has just moved to LA. Great opportunity for growth! Please email me your resume directly - ccampagnola at apa-agency.com<mailto:ccampagnola at apa-agency.com>

The Women In Film Finishing Fund gives grants to filmmakers working in both short and long formats, in all genres — narrative, documentary, animated and experimental. To apply for the Finishing Fund, the filmmaker must have completed 90% of principal photography and have a rough cut at the time of application. You do not have to be a Women In Film member to apply, and we encourage applications from around the world. Please note that student projects are not eligible to receive Finishing Funds for their film.  For more information go to https://womeninfilm.org/film-finishing-fund/

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – May 11, 2017

Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) was selected as a finalist in the USA Film Festival's 39th Annual International Short Film Competition 2017 in Dallas, TX, April 26-30. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.usafilmfestival.com.

Concessions (MFA D2 2016 Sam Bartz) was selected for screening at the Cape Fear Independent Film Festival in Wilmington, NC, June 15-17. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.cfifn.org/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at the May edition of the Miami Independent Film Festival. For more information about this festival, go to, http://miamindiefest.com/category/monthly-editions/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was awarded a Best Short Film Silver Award at the March edition of The NYC Indie Film Awards. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.nycindiefilmawards.com/winners.html.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was awarded Best Student Film and Best Director of Photography of the Month at the Lake View International Film Festival, Punjab, India. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.lviff.net<https://www.lviff.net/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was awarded Best Short Film at the March edition of the European Cinematography Awards. For more information about this festival, go to, http://e-ca.eu<http://e-ca.eu/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Short of April at the Gold Movie Awards in London, January 11. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.goldmovieawards.com<http://www.goldmovieawards.com/>.

Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Drina Andre) was selected for screening in the Los Angeles Live Score Film Festival, May 12. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.helixcollective.net/LALSFF.html.

Blasted (BFA Thesis 2016 Christian Klein) was selected for screening at the End of Days Film Festival in Orlando, FL, May 13. For more information about this festival, go to, http://endofdaysfilmfestival.com.

Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) was selected for screening at the End of Days Film Festival in Orlando, FL, May 13. For more information about this festival, go to, http://endofdaysfilmfestival.com.

Murky Water (MFA Thesis 2016 Carl Rogers) was selected for screening in the Crimson Screen Horror Film Fest in Charleston, SC, May 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.crimsonscreenfilmfest.org<http://www.crimsonscreenfilmfest.org/>.

Emma Inspired (BFA Thesis 2015 Nicole Machon) was selected for screening at the NYC Short Comedy Film Festival, May 21. For more information about this festival, go to, https://cierimedia.com/live-shows/the-2nd-annual-nyc-short-comedy-film-festival-session-1.

Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) was selected for screening at the GI Film Festival in Washington DC, May 24-28. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.gifilmfestival.com/.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the Phoenix Comicon Film Festival, May 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to, https://phoenixcomicon.com<https://phoenixcomicon.com/>.

Exposure (MFA D1 2016 Mary Jeanes) was selected for screening at Dances with Films in Los Angeles, June 1-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.danceswithfilms.com<http://www.danceswithfilms.com/>.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) was selected for screening at the Deadcenter Film Festival in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, June 8-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.deadcenterfilm.org.

Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) was selected for screening at the New York Sun Fest (NYSF), June 16-18. For more information about this festival, go to, http://nysunfest.weebly.com<http://nysunfest.weebly.com/>.

In Motion (BFA F1 2016 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the Roxbury International Film Festival in Boston, June 21 – July 1. For more information about this festival, go to http://roxburyinternationalfilmfestival.org<http://roxburyinternationalfilmfestival.org/>.

Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) was selected for screening at the Miami Independent Film Festival, June 23-25. For more information about this festival, go to, http://miamindiefest.com<http://miamindiefest.com/>.

TylerCam (BFA F1 2016 Jacqueline Xerri) was selected for screening at the Long Island International Film Expo, July 13-20. For more information about this film festival, go to, http://longislandfilm.com.

Wildfire (BFA Thesis 2016 Collin Lockett) was selected for screening at the Super Geek Film Festival in Fort Lauderdale, FL, July 14-30. For more information about this festival, go to, http://floridasupercon.com/category/events/geek-film-festival/.

Still Life (BFA F1 2015 Gabriel Valbuena) was selected for competition in the Prince of Prestige Academy Awards in Winter Park, Florida on July 30. For more information about this festival, go to http://popfilmaward.com/.

Isa and the Frog Prince (MFA Thesis 2015 Yingxiang Huang) was invited to screen in the 22° Festival Internacional de Cine para Niños (…y no tan Niños) in La Matatena, Mexico, August 8-13. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.lamatatena.org/el-festival-de-cine.html.

Flying High (BFA FD3 2015 Christian Klein) was selected for screening at the IndieWise Virtual Film Festival, August 25-27. For more information about this festival, go to http://convention.getindiewise.com.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles Independent Film Festival Awards, August 26. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.laiffawards.com<http://www.laiffawards.com/>.

Radial (BFA F3 2016 Mary Kate Broadway), Chocolate Lava Cake (MFA D1 2016 Xiao Ma), In Motion (BFA F1 2016 Raymond Knudsen), Dad in a Box (MFA D2 2016 Bethany Miller), TylerCam (BFA F1 2016 Jacqueline Xerri), Falling for You (MFA D1 2016 Laura Johnson), Spooky Breakup (MFA D1 2016 Jonpaul Rodriguez), Love and the Dozens (MFA D1 2016 Cole Goslee), Battle of the Brides (MFA Thesis 2016 Phillip Thomas), and Love is Blind (MFA D1 2016 Jonas Schubach) were selected for screening in the Central Florida Film Festival, Orlando, FL, September 1-3. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/>.

Georgia to Maine (BFA Documentary 2016 Reid Lauff/Parker McBain) was selected for screening at the Travel FilmFest International Film Festival in Limassol, Cyprus, October 19-22. For more information about this festival, go to http://travelfilmfest.com/

Sanctuary (BFA Documentary 2015 Grace Marrero) was selected for screening at the Wildlife Conservation Film Festival in New York City, October 19-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.wcff.org<http://www.wcff.org/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Woman Filmmaker at the Hollywood International Moving Pictures Film Festival in Los Angeles, CA, January 27, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.himpff.com<http://www.himpff.com/>.