[Film-bfad2] [Film-bfad] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 4.1.17

Warren, Meryl mwarren at fsu.edu
Fri Mar 17 17:26:14 EDT 2017

[cid:image001.png at 01D29F43.92B534E0]

This is NOT an April Fool’s trick.  See the above invitation for details about the Film School’s events at the Atlanta Film Festival.   Joi McMillon and Nat Sanders will be presenting our second Atlanta Film Forum.

Meredith Glynn (BFA 03) has just wrapped up co-producing/writing on Supernatural for the CW/WB.

Nice article in the Hollywood Reporter about Andrew Hevia’s (BFA 06) next project..  https://tinyurl.com/zdtpw4m

From Nick Zayas (BFA 06). “The episode of MAJOR CRIMES I wrote airs this Weds, Mar 15 at 9pm on TNT, directed by the wonderful Stacey K. Black. Listen up at the end of the episode as a song by Meredith Lockwood (BFA.06)  plays during a very important scene!”

From Billy Hansen (BFA 05): “Proud to announce that the short film I produced, EARWORM, won "Outstanding Horror" at the Short. Sweet. Film Fest. in Cleveland, OH. It's also scheduled to screen at the Equinox Film Festival in Alaska on March 11th and at the Boston Underground Film Festival on March 24th, which will make 17 festival screenings to date.. The pilot I produced, wrote and directed, NO PLACE TO FALL, was accepted to the HollyShorts Monthly screenings. The date is pending, but it will screen at the Chinese Theater in Hollywood in the next few months. And lastly, the short film I produced, adapted and directed, SURVIVOR TYPE (Based on the Stephen King story), will be screening as part of the Rainy Season Film Showcase in Senoia, GA on March 18th.”

From Jess Bowers (BFA.93) “These days I'm working for Major League Baseball Advanced Media. They are out of NYC, but most of my team is in the San Francisco Bay area. I’m enjoying working remotely from NC, where I can keep an eye on my kids, who are growing up too fast.  At MLBAM we build video streaming platforms for our partners, who include HBO Now, Sony Vue, MLS, NHL, WWE, and Fox Sports. I'm working on "connected device" software that allows customers to watch video on Roku, Apple TV and other devices connected to your television.  We recently got an influx of cash from Disney, and my division has been spun out into a separate company called BAMTech to focus on the video streaming platform.

 http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mlb-poached-an-amazon-video-exec-to-run-its-red-hot-video-arm-211855173.html

From Rodrigo Rocha-Campos (MFA 05)  “I'm still teaching cinematography at the Vancouver Film School ( a bit over 10 years already). And, in the last three years I've been working as senior cinematographer at the school, juggling lectures, workshops, side projects and running the department. And to top all this, the school transitioned to newer digital platforms (Sony FS-7 and Red Epics) about a year and half ago, which required a lot of catching on for me and my team. In terms of side projects I took a detour from cine and have been concentrating my work on directing and producing screen dance shorts. It has been quite exciting for me to see the fruition of my concepts and to some degree, a modest participation on screen dance festivals around the world. Who would know I'd be directing dancers and working with choreographers...?  My work (Movements #1, #2, and #3) has screened in festivals like: San Francisco Dance Film Festival, Athens Dance Video Project, Stockholm's Screen Dance Festival, Danca em Foco in Rio de Janeiro, FIVA Almagro in Spain, and International Video Danza of CDMX, Mexico. Do I have to mention that all of them are dark in nature...? :)  Currently, I'm developing my 4th screen dance video and planning to shoot it in a few months. Fingers crossed.”

The Television Academy Foundation offers 50 television industry internships in over 30 different categories. These eight-week, paid positions provide hands-on, professional experience at major media companies.

Alert your students to this great opportunity today! Postmark deadline is March 15, 2017.  Share this link:
TelevisionAcademy.com/Internship

Post Production Assistant wanted for Cable TV Series to support editorial department. Excellent opportunity to learn more about post and the scripted TV process. Full Time Position, expected to run mid-April into December. If interested please send resume to... postpajob1 at gmail.com

Camp Ton-A-Wandah, an all girls residential summer camp located in Hendersonville, North Carolina, is currently accepting applications for the position of Videographer for the summer of 2017. As a Videographer and program staff member at Camp Ton-A-Wandah your job responsibilities would include:

• Filming footage of daily camp activities and programs

• Filming out of camp trips (i.e. rafting, hiking, and other outdoor adventure trips)

• Editing footage and organizing digital storage of clips using Adobe Premiere.

• Producing three session videos roughly 30 minutes a piece and making a final copy for DVD distribution

to campers

• Performing general administrative duties as part of the program staff.

• Serving as a full time residential staff member for the duration of the summer Camp Ton-A-Wandah provides all staff with food and lodging. As a residential camp, all staff live on camp in camp housing.Contract period is for the duration of the summer beginning

late May and running through mid August. Interested applicants should contact Maggie Lewicki at (828) 692-4251 or

maggie at camptonawandah.com. If you are a current student or recent graduate, this could be the perfect opportunity to build your portfolio and gain unique and specialized experience in outdoor adventure film. Please contact us if you have any questions or want to find out additional information.

Diverse writers interested in educational or children's programming... this is for you. Sesame Workshop, the nonprofit educational organization behind Sesame Street, is accepting applications for the Sesame Street Writers' Room, a fellowship program dedicated to discovering, nurturing, and increasing the presence of writers with diverse voices in children's media.During an intensive six-week program to be held at Sesame Workshop's New York City office, participants will meet weekly with industry writers, producers, agents, and executives and will be expected to complete at least one script. The two participants whose scripts show the most promise will be offered creative development deals and will be mentored by Sesame Workshop executives.The program is open to writers 21 years of age and older who have not written for network or cable series exceeding thirteen episodes. Applicants will be invited to submit an eleven-minute script based on a specific assignment, which will be evaluated by industry executives.All applicants must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States and belong to an underrepresented racial group.See the Sesame Workshop website for complete program guidelines, an FAQ, and application instructions.

NBCUniversal is doing more and more to find aspiring filmmakers, actors, and now the media company is looking for aspiring writers.  As part of the company’s 2017 Writers on the Verge program, NBCUniversal is now accepting applications for aspiring writers. Writers that are selected will be invited to join a 12-week program focused on polishing writers and preparing them for a position a TV series.. “We are looking for writers who are “almost there” but need that final bit of preparation with their writing and personal presentation skills. We particularly encourage writers of diverse backgrounds to apply.”. Past participants in the program have worked on hit shows including The Blacklist, Marlon, Community, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Chicago Fire, and Parenthood.  How to Submit.. The submission window is open MAY 1st, 2017 – MAY 31st, 2017 at 11:59pm PT. For more information click here

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – March 16, 2017

Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) and Exposure (MFA Thesis 2016 Mary Jeanes) tied for First Place, and Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Alexandrina Andre) won Second Place in the College competition of the Palm Beach Student Showcase of Films. Soleil (BFA Documentary 2016 Erik Kallin) was the sole winner in the Documentary category. The awards ceremony was held in West Palm Beach, Florida on March 10. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.pbfilm.com.

In Motion (BFA F1 2016 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening in the Azalea Film Festival in Mobile, AL, April 1-2. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.azaleafilmfestival.com/index.html.

Iris (MFA D2 2016 Nikki Lee) was selected for screening at Silver Screen for Short Films, St. Petersburg, FL, April 12. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.silverscreenforshortfilms.com/.

Stutter (MFA Thesis 2016 Ivo Huahua) won the Audience Award for Best College Short Film and  For the Record (BFA F3 2016 Justin Burt) won the Grand Jury Award for Best College Short at the 11th Gasparilla International Film Festival in Tampa, Florida, March 2-9, 2017. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.gasparillafilmfestival.com.

Stutter (MFA Thesis 2016 Ivo Huahua), Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) and In Motion (BFA F1 2016 Raymond Knudsen) were selected for screening at the Boynton Beach Short Film Festival in Florida, April 20-23. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/events/366806640323030/.

Murky Water (MFA Thesis 2016 Carl Rogers) and Still Life (BFA F1 2015 Gabriel Valbuena) were selected for screening at the National Film Festival for Talented Youth (NFFTY) in Seattle, April 27-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.nffty.org.

Mystery Jones! Back in Business (BFA Thesis 2015 Paul Ramsdell) was selected for screening in the spring as part of the Iron Mule Short Comedy Screening Series in New York City. For more information about this series, go to http://www.ironmulenyc.com.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the Charlotte Black Film Festival, March 3 – April 2. For more information about this festival, go to http://charlotteblackfilmfestival.com.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was selected for screening at the Landshut Short Film Festival in Germany, March 15-20, and will be in competition for the Deadline Award. For more information about this festival, go to www.landshuter-kurzfilmfestival.de.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity), Tilted (BFA F3 2016 Zach Hoskin), The Goat on the Roof (BFA Documentary 2016 Erin Smyth), Yo Miro Para Adelante (BFA Documentary 2016 Iliana Ipes), and Us Thereafter (BFA Documentary 2016 Terry Beck) were all selected for screening at the Black Warrior Film Festival, Tuscaloosa, AL, March 24-25. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.blackwarriorfilmfest.com/aboutus/.

The Extra Mile (BFA Documentary 2015 Courtney Ross) was selected for screening at the American Documentary Film Festival in Palm Springs, California, March 29 – April 3. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.americandocumentaryfilmfestival.com/.

Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Drina Andre) was selected for screening in Wicked Queer: The Boston LGBT Film Festival, March 30 – April 9. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.wickedqueer.org/.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was selected for screening at the Sarasota Film Festival, March 31 – April 9. For more information about this festival, go to www.sarasotafilmfest.com.

Into the Rain (MFA D2 2016 Layne Inselman) was selected for screening at the Clean Shorts Film Festival in Choctaw, OK, March 31 – April 1. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.cleanshorts.org.

Thank You for the Music (MFA Thesis 2016 Spencer Frankeberger) was selected for screening and has been nominated for Best Medium Short and Best Varsity Short at the Clean Shorts Film Festival in Choctaw, OK, March 31 – April 1. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.cleanshorts.org.

Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Alexandrina Andre) and Iris (MFA D2 2016 Nikki Lee) were selected for screening at the Through Women’s Eyes Film Festival in Sarasota, Florida, April 1-2. The festival runs as part of the Sarasota Film Festival. For more information on this festival, go to throughwomenseyes.com.

Once Upon a Blood Moon (MFA D1 2015 Rob Eaton) was selected for screening at the Wasaga Film Festival in Wasaga Beach, Ontario, Canada, April 1-29. For more information about this festival, go to https://wasagafilmfest.com/.

Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) was invited to screen at the GardenCity Film Festival in Bangalore, India on April 2. For more information about this festival, go to http://gardencityff.blogspot.in/.

War Crimes (MFA D2 2016 Matthew Robinson) won the November competition and is a semi-finalist for Mindie, the Miami Independent Film Festival, April 3-5. For more information about this festival, go to miamindiefest.com.

Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar), Concessions (MFA D2 2016 Sam Bartz), Spin Cycle (MFA D2 2106 Janeen Talbot), Veiled (MFA D2 2106 Rika Darmesh Bhakta), War Crimes (MFA D2 2016 Matthew Robinson), Snapped (MFA D2 2106 Zarmala Gilani) and Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) are official selections of Mindie, the Miami Independent Film Festival, April 3-5. For more information about this festival, go to miamindiefest.com.

Exposure (MFA Thesis 2016 Mary Jeanes), Georgia to Maine (BFA Documentary 2016 Reid Lauff/Parker McBain), and Heavy Weight (MFA Thesis 2016 Jennifer Silver) were selected for screening at the Chattanooga Film Fest, April 6-9, 2017. For more information about this festival, go to https://chattfilmfest.org.

Stutter (MFA Thesis 2016 Ivo Huahua) was selected for screening at the Phoenix Film Festival, April 6-13. For more information about this festival, go to phoenixfilmfestival.org.

Hush (MFA Thesis 2015 Whitney Clinkscales) was nominated for Lead Actress Under 18- Isabella Iannuzzi, Lead Actress Short - Isabella Iannuzzi, Best Short Film, Best Editing - Trigg Ferrano, Best Cinematography - Jeremy Donaldson, and Best Director - Whitney Clinkscales at the Utah Film Awards in Orem, UT April 7-8, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.theutahfilmawards.com.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at Roma Cinema DOC in Rome, Italy, April 9-30. For more information about this festival, go to, http://roma.cinemadoc.it/category/edition.

Voice From the Page (MFA Thesis 2016 Andrea Branch) was selected for screening at the 10th International WAMMFest in Towson, Maryland, April 19-22, 2017. For more information about this festival, go to, http://wammtu.com.

Spin Cycle (MFA D2 2016 Neen Talbot) was selected for screening at the (In)Justice for All Film Festival in Chicago, Illinois, April 20-29, 2017. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.injusticeforallff.com.

Stutter (MFA Thesis 2016 Ivo HuaHua) was selected fro screening at the 59th Rochester International Film Festival in Rochester, NY, April 20-22. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.rochesterfilmfest.org/.

Concessions (MFA D2 2016 Sam Bartz) will be awarded a Certificate of Merit for Powerful Depiction of Emotions at the Rochester International Film Festival, April 20-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.rochesterfilmfest.org.

Sure-Fire (MFA Thesis 2016 Allison Izzo), Karman (BFA Thesis 2016 Austin Baur), Exposure (MFA Thesis 2016 Mary Jeanes), and Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) were selected for screening at the Artemis Women in Action Film Festival in Santa Monica, California, April 21-23, 2017. For more information about this festival, go to, www.artemisfilmfestival.com.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at ARFF International // Berlin - Amsterdam - Paris – Barcelona, April 21-23. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.aroundfilms.com.

For Will (BFA Documentary 2016 Grayson Goga/Grace Stalley), The Goat on the Roof (BFA Documentary 2016 Erin Smyth), Bad Town (BFA Thesis 2016 Daniel Smith/Victor Ingles), Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) and Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Drina Andre) were chosen as Best of Brouhaha at the Brouhaha Film & Video Showcase in Orlando, November 19-20. They will be screening in the Best of Brouhaha sidebar at the Florida Film Festival in Orlando, April 21-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.floridafilmfestival.com.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was selected for screening at the 2017 Indie Horror Film Festival in Peoria, Illinois, April 21-23. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.indiehorrorfest.com/.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) was selected for screening at the Beverly Hills Film Festival, April 26-30. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.beverlyhillsfilmfestival.com.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) and The Voice from the Page (MFA Thesis 2016 Andrea Branch) were selected for screening at the San Diego Black Film Festival, April 26-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.sdbff.com.

Wish Star (MFA D2 2015 Carl Rogers) was selected for screening at the Roswell Film Festival in Roswell, New Mexico, April 26-30. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.roswellfilmfestival.com.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at the London Independent Film Awards, April 29. For more information about this festival, go to, http://lifawards.com.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) was selected for screening at the NYC Independent Film Festival, May 2-7. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.nycindieff.com.

Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Drina Andre) was selected for screening in the Los Angeles Live Score Film Festival, May 12. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.helixcollective.net/LALSFF.html.

Murky Water (MFA Thesis 2016 Carl Rogers) was selected for screening in the Crimson Screen Horror Film Fest in Charleston, SC, May 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.crimsonscreenfilmfest.org.

Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) was selected for screening at the GI Film Festival in Washington DC, May 24-28. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.gifilmfestival.com/.

Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) was selected for screening at the New York Sun Fest (NYSF), June 16-18. For more information about this festival, go to, http://nysunfest.weebly.com.

Still Life (BFA F1 2015 Gabriel Valbuena) was selected for competition in the Prince of Prestige Academy Awards in Winter Park, Florida on July 30. For more information about this festival, go to http://popfilmaward.com/.

Isa and the Frog Prince (MFA Thesis 2015 Yingxiang Huang) was invited to screen in the 22° Festival Internacional de Cine para Niños (…y no tan Niños) in La Matatena, Mexico, August 8-13. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.lamatatena.org/el-festival-de-cine.html.

Flying High (BFA FD3 2015 Christian Klein) was selected for screening at the IndieWise Virtual Film Festival, August 25-27. For more information about this festival, go to http://convention.getindiewise.com.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles Independent Film Festival Awards, August 26. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.laiffawards.com.

In Motion (BFA F1 2016 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening in the Central Florida Film Festival, Orlando, FL, September 1-3. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com.

Georgia to Maine (BFA Documentary 2016 Reid Lauff/Parker McBain) was selected for screening at the Travel FilmFest International Film Festival in Limassol, Cyprus, October 19-22. For more information about this festival, go to http://travelfilmfest.com/

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Woman Filmmaker at the Hollywood International Moving Pictures Film Festival in Los Angeles, CA, January 27, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.himpff.com.