[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 3.9.17

Warren, Meryl mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Mar 9 15:06:30 EST 2017

Barry Jenkins (BFA 03) will be at FSU on Friday, March 31 to screen his film at Ruby Diamond as part of the Golden Tribe Lecture Series. Friday night at 7pm, Barry will screen Moonlight in Ruby Diamond as part of the Golden Tribe Lecture Series. Tickets sold out to this event in the first two hours!  There will also be a separate Film School students/faculty/staff only screening and conversation with Barry while he is here.

From Arturo Yepez (MFA  07)  “My film Sin Muertos No hay Carnaval will be premiered in USA in the Miami Film Festival on March 9th and 12th. Here More info: SUCH IS LIFE IN THE TROPICS - Miami Film Festival 2017<http://2017.miamifilmfestival.com/films/such-is-life-in-the-tropics/> and in the San Diego Latino Film Festival inmediatly after on March 20th and 22nd. More info here: Sin muertos no hay carnaval (Sin muertos no hay carnaval)<http://prod3.agileticketing.net/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=271602~8ee3f575-683f-4e92-8416-6cd43035e11c&epguid=0a0521b6-ed94-4007-b6db-71659a9bf48c>

At the time Richard Portman passed away I indicated that there would be a memorial for him on April 1.   Just wanted to let you know that there will still be a memorial but it will be delayed for a while – should know early in April a definite date for the memorial.

From Ryan Spindell (MFA 07)  “I pretend to know what I'm talking about in this in-depth interview with the fine folks at Cinepunx<https://www.facebook.com/cinepunx/>. Shick-Shick... BOOM!  http://www.cinepunx.com/Writing/chewin-the-fat-with-writerdirector-ryan-spindell/

Congratulations to Julianna Baggott who has been names Faculty Director for MFA in Writing and Publishing at the Vermont College of Fine Arts.  http://vcfa.edu/writing-publishing/news/julianna-baggott-named-faculty-director-mfa-writing-publishing-program   Don’t panic, Julianna will still be working with our writers!

Read the nice conversation Miles Kahn (BFA  97)  had with his pal Tim Bracy who wrote this for Men's Journal:   http://www.mensjournal.com/entertainment/articles/you-have-to-punch-up-to-power-speaking-with-samantha-bee-executive-producer-miles-kahn-w470268

From Aaron Moorhead (BFA 08)  “We just found out our new film The Endless will have its world premiere as one of ten films in U.S. Competition at Tribeca! We’re told it’s the first genre film to play in competition since Let the Right One In a decade ago, which is a terrifyingly large honor, and the largest premiere we've yet had.  I'd describe it as "Moonlight meets Braveheart" but here's how Tribeca describes it: Years after escaping a cult as teenagers, brothers Aaron and Justin return to their former home after receiving a mysterious message. While Aaron is quickly drawn back into the fold, Justin remains uneasy. However, neither can deny it when strange events begin happening that seem to mirror the cult’s unusual axioms. Among the many FSU alums that slaved for endless (hah hah) days and nights on this thing: Shane Brady (Theatre '09) plays the role of..."Shane,", Will Sampson (BFA 09) operated camera, steadicam and drone, Michael Felker (BFA 10) was the editor, Erica Chan (MFA 15) was 1AC, Lexa Payne (BFA 12) was 2AC, Bryn Hubbard (MFA 13) captured sound, Paul Tackett (MFA 15) was B-cam and swung to G&E when the mood struck, and Alexandrina Andre (MFA  16) was our set PA. Justin & I have our dirty hands all over this thing too -- he wrote it, I was the DP and did VFX, and we both (along with many other super-capable collaborators) edited, produced, directed, and we play the two brothers in the film.   It was an incredibly personal labor of love born out of restlessness wanting to make another DIY film, that turned into our favorite film we've yet made. Can't wait to show you this movie's weird world.”

One more article on Moonlight and the value of it and the Film School to the State of Florida!
http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/editorials/editorial-moonlight-shines-on-fsu/2314859

From Eric Sievering (MFA 02) “Last week, amongst all the great new for the film school (Congratulations to all the Moonlight Crew!)  I learned that the finale for a show I just finished editing called, "The Curse of Oak Island" on the History channel, was the highest rated show across all of cable in that time slot for which it aired.  I think it was also the highest rated non-scripted show that the History channel has had for all of the last year.  I thought this was worth passing along to all of the FSU folks in the wider world.  If you had a chance to watch it thanks, and thanks to everyone else what worked on Oak Island.  Hopefully we'll all uncover more mysteries in the future.  Stay tuned!”

From Christina Campagnola (BFA  12)  “I feel honored to be a part of the first issue of CONSTELLATION MAG, as part of the female filmmaker portfolio . Thank you to curator Jaclyn Bethany<https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008432079221>!  Check out the article here:  https://www.constellationmag.space/christina-campagnola

From Carissa Dorson (BFA  11) "LA Weekly interviewed me about a personal photography project that I've been working on for a while.  Here's a link to the article:  http://www.laweekly.com/arts/comedians-bare-their-souls-instead-of-their-smiles-in-a-new-photo-series-7958634 It was awesome to finally share this passion project, and to see people connect with it.  My goal is to keep adding a new portrait each week!"

Congratulations to Jake Morgan (MFA Writing 16) whose  half-hour pilot, WASTELAND FOR WHITE GIRLS was selected as a Top 10 Finalist at Cinequest<http://www.cinequest.org/>'s screenplay competition!

Read this article about Iman Zawahry (MFA  08) in the Washington Post: “To counter Trump’s travel ban, this Jewish filmmaker wants to give American Muslims a voice.”  Go to https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2017/02/15/to-counter-trumps-travel-ban-this-jewish-filmmaker-wants-to-give-american-muslims-a-voice/?utm_term=.daa209b2277d

From Alex Smith (BFA 09)  “I'm still working at the PGA Tour in Jacksonville, FL (this month will be 4 years!).  In May I was promoted to project coordinator for our in-house creative design team.  Our small group of graphic designers is responsible for concepting and producing the marketing collateral and on-course signage for PGA Tour events throughout the year. In July, we moved into a new house to better accommodate our growing family.  We are all enjoying the extra space and our daughter Sage loves having a swing set in the backyard. In October, we welcomed our second child - Leo Isaac Smith - into the world.  He's a happy baby and it's crazy how fast he's already grown.  Sage is enjoying her new responsibilities as big sister and she can't wait for Leo to start crawling around the house.”

Producers Assistant     Responsible for executing administrative, social media efforts, marketing communication, and other related supportive tasks that assist the QuantumPathic Production team over the next year in filming, producing and distributing an independent film scheduled for release in November/December of 2017. Intern must have knowledge of social media platforms, some marketing background, good written communication skills, wordpress website experience, plus a passion for the arts, film, and most importantly, making a difference in the world!  This is a volunteer (non-paid) internship for an independent contractor who desires gaining experience in entertainment and entertainment marketing while building connections through gaining experience. Can work virtually—Producers are in Honolulu, Scottsdale, Chicago, and Tallahassee.
For information on film please see
http://www.notjustanotherbleepeduplovestory.com/behind-the-scenes-blog/
http://www.gofundme.com/qplovestory
For more information contact: Dana Jones  dwjones at m4me.org<mailto:dwjones at m4me.org>  850-241-2169  Tallahassee, FL

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – March 9, 2017

Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Drina Andre) was selected for screening in the Los Angeles Live Score Film Festival, May 12. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.helixcollective.net/LALSFF.html.

Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Drina Andre) was selected for screening in Wicked Queer: The Boston LGBT Film Festival, March 30 – April 9. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.wickedqueer.org/.

Murky Water (MFA Thesis 2016 Carl Rogers) was selected for screening in the Crimson Screen Horror Film Fest in Charleston, SC, May 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.crimsonscreenfilmfest.org<http://www.crimsonscreenfilmfest.org/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was awarded Best Action/Crime/Short Student in he February competition of the London Independent Film Awards. For more information about this festival, go to, http://lifawards.com/.

In Motion (BFA F1 2016 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening in the Central Florida Film Festival, Orlando, FL, September 1-3. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/>.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) was selected for screening at the NYC Independent Film Festival, May 2-7. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.nycindieff.com<https://www.nycindieff.com/>.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity), Tilted (BFA F3 2016 Zach Hoskin), The Goat on the Roof (BFA Documentary 2016 Erin Smyth), Yo Miro Para Adelante (BFA Documentary 2016 Iliana Ipes), and Us Thereafter (BFA Documentary 2016 Terry Beck) were all selected for screening at the Black Warrior Film Festival, Tuscaloosa, AL, March 24-25. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.blackwarriorfilmfest.com/aboutus/.

Mystery Jones! Back in Business (BFA Thesis 2015 Paul Ramsdell) was selected for screening in the spring as part of the Iron Mule Short Comedy Screening Series in New York City. For more information about this series, go to http://www.ironmulenyc.com<http://www.ironmulenyc.com/>.

Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Drina Andre) was selected for screening at the Cinequest Film Festival in San Jose, California, February 28 – March 12. For more information about this festival, go to www.cinequest.org.

Stutter (MFA Thesis 2016 Ivo Huahua), Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao), For the Record (BFA F3 2016 Justin Burt), Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar), Battle of the Brides (MFA Thesis 2016 Phillip Thomas), and Innocence (MFA D2 2016 Charlie Malcolm) were selected for screening at the 11th Gasparilla International Film Festival in Tampa, Florida, March 2-9, 2017. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.gasparillafilmfestival.com<http://www.gasparillafilmfestival.com/>.

Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez), Exposure (MFA Thesis 2016 Mary Jeanes) and Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Alexandrina Andre) are finalist in the College competition of the Palm Beach Student Showcase of Films. We won’t know until the awards ceremony in West Palm Beach, Florida, March 10 which award each film will win, but they will be First, Second and Third. We do know that Soleil (BFA Documentary 2016 Erik Kallin) will be the sole winner in the Documentary category. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.pbfilm.com<http://www.pbfilm.com/>.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the Charlotte Black Film Festival, March 3 – April 2. For more information about this festival, go to http://charlotteblackfilmfestival.com.

Soleil (BFA Documentary 2016 Erik Kallin) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Film Festival, Fort Myers, Florida, March 8-12, 2017. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.fortmyersfilmfestival.com<http://www.fortmyersfilmfestival.com/>.

Battle of the Brides (MTH Thesis 2016 Phillip Thomas) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Film Festival, Fort Myers, Florida, March 8-12, 2017. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.fortmyersfilmfestival.com<http://www.fortmyersfilmfestival.com/>.

Emma Inspired (BFA Thesis 2015 Nicole Machon/Jamie Rice) was selected for screening at SOMA Film Festival in Maplewood, New Jersey, March 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to www.somafilmfestival.com.

Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) is a Semi-Finalist in the Hollywood Screenings Film Festival, March 11-12. For more information about this festival, go to http://hollywoodscreenings.weebly.com/.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was selected for screening at the Landshut Short Film Festival in Germany, March 15-20, and will be in competition for the Deadline Award. For more information about this festival, go to www.landshuter-kurzfilmfestival.de<http://www.landshuter-kurzfilmfestival.de/>.

The Extra Mile (BFA Documentary 2015 Courtney Ross) was selected for screening at the American Documentary Film Festival in Palm Springs, California, March 29 – April 3. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.americandocumentaryfilmfestival.com/.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was selected for screening at the Sarasota Film Festival, March 31 – April 9. For more information about this festival, go to www.sarasotafilmfest.com<http://www.sarasotafilmfest.com/>.

Into the Rain (MFA D2 2016 Layne Inselman) was selected for screening at the Clean Shorts Film Festival in Choctaw, OK, March 31 – April 1. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.cleanshorts.org<http://www.cleanshorts.org/>.

Thank You for the Music (MFA Thesis 2016 Spencer Frankeberger) was selected for screening and has been nominated for Best Medium Short and Best Varsity Short at the Clean Shorts Film Festival in Choctaw, OK, March 31 – April 1. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.cleanshorts.org<http://www.cleanshorts.org/>.

Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Alexandrina Andre) and Iris (MFA D2 2016 Nikki Lee) were selected for screening at the Through Women’s Eyes Film Festival in Sarasota, Florida, April 1-2. The festival runs as part of the Sarasota Film Festival. For more information on this festival, go to throughwomenseyes.com.

Once Upon a Blood Moon (MFA D1 2015 Rob Eaton) was selected for screening at the Wasaga Film Festival in Wasaga Beach, Ontario, Canada, April 1-29. For more information about this festival, go to https://wasagafilmfest.com/.

Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) was invited to screen at the GardenCity Film Festival in Bangalore, India on April 2. For more information about this festival, go to http://gardencityff.blogspot.in/.

War Crimes (MFA D2 2016 Matthew Robinson) won the November competition and is a semi-finalist for Mindie, the Miami Independent Film Festival, April 3-5. For more information about this festival, go to miamindiefest.com.

Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar), Concessions (MFA D2 2016 Sam Bartz), Spin Cycle (MFA D2 2106 Janeen Talbot), Veiled (MFA D2 2106 Rika Darmesh Bhakta), War Crimes (MFA D2 2016 Matthew Robinson), Snapped (MFA D2 2106 Zarmala Gilani) and Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) are official selections of Mindie, the Miami Independent Film Festival, April 3-5. For more information about this festival, go to miamindiefest.com.

Exposure (MFA Thesis 2016 Mary Jeanes), Georgia to Maine (BFA Documentary 2016 Reid Lauff/Parker McBain), and Heavy Weight (MFA Thesis 2016 Jennifer Silver) were selected for screening at the Chattanooga Film Fest, April 6-9, 2017. For more information about this festival, go to https://chattfilmfest.org<https://chattfilmfest.org/>.

Stutter (MFA Thesis 2016 Ivo Huahua) was selected for screening at the Phoenix Film Festival, April 6-13. For more information about this festival, go to phoenixfilmfestival.org.

Hush (MFA Thesis 2015 Whitney Clinkscales) was nominated for Lead Actress Under 18- Isabella Iannuzzi, Lead Actress Short - Isabella Iannuzzi, Best Short Film, Best Editing - Trigg Ferrano, Best Cinematography - Jeremy Donaldson, and Best Director - Whitney Clinkscales at the Utah Film Awards in Orem, UT April 7-8, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.theutahfilmawards.com.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at Roma Cinema DOC in Rome, Italy, April 9-30. For more information about this festival, go to, http://roma.cinemadoc.it/category/edition.

Voice From the Page (MFA Thesis 2016 Andrea Branch) was selected for screening at the 10th International WAMMFest in Towson, Maryland, April 19-22, 2017. For more information about this festival, go to, http://wammtu.com<http://wammtu.com/>.

Spin Cycle (MFA D2 2016 Neen Talbot) was selected for screening at the (In)Justice for All Film Festival in Chicago, Illinois, April 20-29, 2017. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.injusticeforallff.com<http://www.injusticeforallff.com/>.

Stutter (MFA Thesis 2016 Ivo HuaHua) was selected fro screening at the 59th Rochester International Film Festival in Rochester, NY, April 20-22. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.rochesterfilmfest.org/.

Concessions (MFA D2 2016 Sam Bartz) will be awarded a Certificate of Merit for Powerful Depiction of Emotions at the Rochester International Film Festival, April 20-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.rochesterfilmfest.org<http://www.rochesterfilmfest.org/>.

Sure-Fire (MFA Thesis 2016 Allison Izzo), Karman (BFA Thesis 2016 Austin Baur), Exposure (MFA Thesis 2016 Mary Jeanes), and Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) were selected for screening at the Artemis Women in Action Film Festival in Santa Monica, California, April 21-23, 2017. For more information about this festival, go to, www.artemisfilmfestival.com<http://www.artemisfilmfestival.com/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at ARFF International // Berlin - Amsterdam - Paris – Barcelona, April 21-23. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.aroundfilms.com.

For Will (BFA Documentary 2016 Grayson Goga/Grace Stalley), The Goat on the Roof (BFA Documentary 2016 Erin Smyth), Bad Town (BFA Thesis 2016 Daniel Smith/Victor Ingles), Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) and Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Drina Andre) were chosen as Best of Brouhaha at the Brouhaha Film & Video Showcase in Orlando, November 19-20. They will be screening in the Best of Brouhaha sidebar at the Florida Film Festival in Orlando, April 21-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.floridafilmfestival.com.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was selected for screening at the 2017 Indie Horror Film Festival in Peoria, Illinois, April 21-23. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.indiehorrorfest.com/.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) was selected for screening at the Beverly Hills Film Festival, April 26-30. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.beverlyhillsfilmfestival.com.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) and The Voice from the Page (MFA Thesis 2016 Andrea Branch) were selected for screening at the San Diego Black Film Festival, April 26-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.sdbff.com.

Wish Star (MFA D2 2015 Carl Rogers) was selected for screening at the Roswell Film Festival in Roswell, New Mexico, April 26-30. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.roswellfilmfestival.com.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at the London Independent Film Awards, April 29. For more information about this festival, go to, http://lifawards.com<http://lifawards.com/>.

Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) was selected for screening at the GI Film Festival in Washington DC, May 24-28. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.gifilmfestival.com/.

Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) was selected for screening at the New York Sun Fest (NYSF), June 16-18. For more information about this festival, go to, http://nysunfest.weebly.com<http://nysunfest.weebly.com/>.

Still Life (BFA F1 2015 Gabriel Valbuena) was selected for competition in the Prince of Prestige Academy Awards in Winter Park, Florida on July 30. For more information about this festival, go to http://popfilmaward.com/.

Isa and the Frog Prince (MFA Thesis 2015 Yingxiang Huang) was invited to screen in the 22° Festival Internacional de Cine para Niños (…y no tan Niños) in La Matatena, Mexico, August 8-13. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.lamatatena.org/el-festival-de-cine.html.

Flying High (BFA FD3 2015 Christian Klein) was selected for screening at the IndieWise Virtual Film Festival, August 25-27. For more information about this festival, go to http://convention.getindiewise.com.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles Independent Film Festival Awards, August 26. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.laiffawards.com<http://www.laiffawards.com/>.

Georgia to Maine (BFA Documentary 2016 Reid Lauff/Parker McBain) was selected for screening at the Travel FilmFest International Film Festival in Limassol, Cyprus, October 19-22. For more information about this festival, go to http://travelfilmfest.com/

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Woman Filmmaker at the Hollywood International Moving Pictures Film Festival in Los Angeles, CA, January 27, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.himpff.com<http://www.himpff.com/>.