[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 6.30.17

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Fri Jun 30 10:49:12 EDT 2017

Congratulation to our alums who have been invited into the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences!   New members are:  Barry Jenkins (BFA 03), Stephen Broussard (MFA 03), James Laxton (BFA 03), Adele Romanski (BFA 04) and Nat Sanders (BFA 02).  Hope I haven’t missed anyone – the new member list was long!

Congratulations to Melissa Carter Newman (MFA 96)!  At the 48th NAACP Image Awards, “Queen Sugar” was awarded Outstanding Drama Series which Missy Produced!

From Oualid Mouaness (MFA 97)  “Am Happy To Announce that the Oscar Shortlisted short film I made The Rifle, The Jackal, The Wolf And The Boy is now available on Itunes!”

Congratulations to Nick Reinhard (BFA 12 )  who  just won an Emmy for "Outstanding Videographer Multi-Camera-Programming" for "Kobe's Last Game!" with Spectrum Sportsnet in L.A!

From Sam Bartz (MFA 2)  “I have a buddy in Atlanta who owns Get Scene Studios, an acting facility in Atlanta that frequently collaborates with up-and-coming actors in the area, as well as the major talent agencies (Houghton, J Pervis, etc.). They're starting a screening night for local Atlanta filmmakers, and I thought it could perhaps be a useful networking tool for FSU alumni. Here's what he says:

Get Scene is launching a new Monday Movie Night giving local producers and directors a way to premiere their film free of charge at Get Scene. Our 120" screen, surround sound, and 80+ seat theatre is the perfect place to get excited and celebrate our amazing locals, the city, and the things we create together!  We are planning on doing this the second Monday of the month starting in August. It would be much appreciated to let local actors, producers know that they know have a place they can go and enjoy what they've produced but not have to worry about movie premiere fees. I know it would be a drive for you, but I know you get ATL actors so it may be fun....? If you have a chance you could even give them this link, or have them contact me or Virginia; info at GetSceneStudios.com<mailto:info at GetSceneStudios.com> and she can give it to them. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/filmsubmission “

Nice article in the Tallahassee Democrat about Bill Kelly, Tallahassee actor who was in many of our student films:
http://www.tallahassee.com/story/entertainment/2017/06/23/tallahassees-bill-kelly-looks-make-big/393871001/

From Whitney Clinkscales (MFA 15 )  “Thought I’d share this BTS video I produced for ABC.com where I sat down with Viola Davis to ask her about the new digital series: American Koko, on which she serves as an EP, and about race issues here in the United States and in the industry. http://abc.go.com/shows/american-koko/episode-guide/season-02/7-bonus-viola-davis

From Lorraine Portman (MFA 99)  “Falling South has a world premiere in The Cayman International Film Festival on July 1. Including a link to an article on our premiere. Erika Ervin and Madeline Barr will be with me at the festival.   And then we are in the Fort Worth Indie Film Showcase playing Saturday July 15th. I'd love to connect with any FSU folks on Grand Cayman or in Fort Worth!
https://www.caymancompass.com/2017/06/15/towering-actress-erika-ervin-to-attend-cayfilm/
Trailer:  https://vimeo.com/214285124
https://www.facebook.com/fallingsouth/

Josh and Rebeka Tickell’s (Josh is MFA 02) “Good Fortune" premieres in Santa Monica this Friday, June 30th at Laemmle Monica Film Center.

From Tanya Spann Roche (MFA 97):  The 59th Emmy® Awards Gala of the National Capital Chesapeake Bay Chapter of The National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences took place on June 24th in Bethesda, Maryland, and I won an Emmy® Award in the Education/Schools - Program Feature/Segment category for a segment I produced and edited for Maryland Public Television’s (MPT’s) TV series Artworks, about the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra’s OrchKids program. OrchKids provides music education, instruments, academic instruction, meals, as well as performance and mentorship opportunities at no cost to students and families in six public
schools in Baltimore City, serving over 1,000 children from Pre-K
through 10th grade. http://video.mpt.tv/video/2365915896/  I also received another Emmy® nomination this year for editing MPT’s TV series, Maryland Farm & Harvest, my third nomination in a row for this show! http://video.mpt.tv/video/2365889194/

No Festival Update this week – Brenda is vacationing in the outback of New Mexico!