[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 6.8.17

Warren, Meryl mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Jun 8 14:36:26 EDT 2017

The Wrap plans to publish a print magazine dedicated to the best film schools in the U.S. — and they want your opinion.  Here's the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7FYDQB8  I just voted and it takes less than a minute—PLEASE VOTE and encourage others to vote.

From Bobby Marinelli (MFA 10)  “A couple weeks ago I produced a short film which Beth Napoli (MFA 10’) DP’d for a friend of ours in New York. The project, Échappé, follows a Soviet ballerina who learns of her brother’s plan to defect during a tour abroad in 1970.  We are currently in need of a NYC based editor to join our team and bring this project to completion. The film has two dance scenes as well as some dialogue in Russian so we’re looking for someone interested in collaborating on those elements. The film was shot in the historic Landmark Loew’s Theatre with professional ballet dancers. Check out our Instagram page to get a sense of the project: @echappefilm.  We have a little bit of money to give to the edit. Ideally we are looking for fresh talent with FSU Film editing experience who could use a great narrative piece for their reel. Please email me at bobbyam at me.com<mailto:bobbyam at me.com> if interested!”

Nathan Alexander (BFA 99) was selected as a VIP Juror for this year's Golden Trailer Awards. The awards were held on June 6th in Beverly Hills.

Robert Bevis<https://www.facebook.com/rob.bevis> (BFA 18) and Erik Kallin<https://www.facebook.com/erik.kallin.9> (BFA 18) were at Cannes where Rob's documentary (which Erik shot) 'Acoustic Ninja' screened at the American Pavilion in the Student Emerging Filmmaker Showcase. Great work, guys!

Scott Devine (MFA '93): I'm relocating from Los Angeles to Atlanta in mid-June. Not only do I have the opportunity to continue working in the industry, but I also have my entire family in town. Now if I can just find a way to enjoy running hills in high humidity, I’ll be golden. Any 'Noles in Atlanta who want to connect can reach me at scott at rabidbadger.com<mailto:scott at rabidbadger.com>.

From Nat Sanders (BFA 02)  “Longtime life goal. (joining the American Cinema Editors)  Much love and thanks to all the directors and showrunners who've brought me onto their projects along the way.”

Josh and Rebecca  Tickell’s (MFA 02)  new feature length documentary, Good Fortune,  premieres in NY June 22 and in LA June 29, then opening in theatres via Lionsgate.    GOOD FORTUNE is the rags to riches tale of conscious capitalism pioneer John Paul DeJoria. Born with nothing, at times homeless on the streets of LA, "JP" spent his early adulthood in and out of motorcycle gangs only to wheel and deal his way to the top of a vast hair and tequila empire. A modern day Robin Hood, JP's motto is "Success unshared is failure." The son of immigrants, JP defies the stereotype of 'the 1%' and is the poster boy of the triple bottom line - people, planet and profit.   Paul Cohen Executive Produced and assisted with marketing.  Go to their Facebook page, Good Fortune, for more information about screenings.

Jonas Schubach (MFA 18)   “my D1, “Love is Blind”, and also my previous film from my MA program in Memphis, “Dirty Money”, were selected for the June edition of Miami Independent Film Festival. Also, my MA thesis film, “Heavens”, is a semi-finalist at the Los Angeles CineFest.”

From Dave Metzger (MFA 07)  “Today is my first day as a full-fledged Staff Writer on NBC's The Blacklist.  I've spent the last four years serving as the Writer's Assistant on the show, in which time I wrote one script, co-wrote a second, and received story by on two more.  Really excited to step into this new role, we've got plans for a very fun Season Five!”

From Nic Sridej (MFA Writing 15)  “After a year as an assistant to partner David Engel, I've been promoted to TV Lit Coordinator at Circle of Confusion. It's a hybrid role: along with my new duties as coordinator, I'll be continuing as David's assistant. I'm very excited for the opportunity to be more involved in our company's television business!”

From Armando Salas (MFA 02)  “I got back last week from Mr Mercedes and  I’m tentatively scheduled to leave July 1 for Vancouver to start season 2 of SIX. We wrap after Thanksgiving.”