[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 6.2.17

Warren, Meryl mwarren at fsu.edu
Fri Jun 2 12:25:50 EDT 2017

Launch Pad, Endgame Entertainment and Fourth Wall Management Announced their Top 50 Pilots.   That group included Logan Rees (BFA 11) with “Dead Human” and Barbara Soares (BFA 12) with “Eterna”.  In the Top 75 was Jared Labredesque (MFA 14 Writing) for his script “Slow Coming”.   Congratulations to all!  It’s a wonderful feeling to scan lists of winners and find multiple Film School grads!

From  April Billingsley (BFA  06) “I'm excited to announce that Act for a Change (Atlanta)  is putting up our next show to benefit local Georgia charity, New American Pathways. The show will be at The Village Theatre on June 9th, 10th, and 11th. We are grateful to have recent FSU grad, Sara Corkern (MFA 16), helping us out with tech again. And, we would love for any of you in Atlanta to attend! We are also still looking for a couple extra volunteers for our silent auction. www.ActforaChange.org<http://www.actforachange.org/>”

From Ben Mekler (BFA 10)  “Wanted to share this proof-of-concept I co-wrote/directed called KATE OF THE DAMNED. I collaborated with a company called New Form, which was created by Ron Howard, Brian Grazer, and Discovery as an incubator for digital talent to develop shows that could head to digital, TV, film, etc. Working with them was great and they’ve got a stellar track record — the show Chris Amick (BFA 10) and I just wrote on at TBS, FINAL SPACE, actually started out as a New Form short. We’re starting to pitch to production companies and buyers now, and the more people who watch and share the more valuable the show will look — so please check it out and if you like it, show some friends. Here’s a link to the short: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1Ho_8d3VDE and here’s an interview I did with Birth.Movies.Death that has some more info: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/05/09/recommendation-you-need-to-watch-kate-of-the-damned

From Erika Stone (Film School Acting faculty) “I will be performing the role of Blanche in Tennessee William’s classic “A Streetcar Named Desire” June 8th-25th at Theatre Tallahassee.  Tickets are available by calling the box office at 850-224-8474 or going online at TheatreTallahassee.org.  Would love to see some film school faces in the audience!”

Check out the nice piece on Lewis & Klarq<https://www.facebook.com/LewisAndKlarq/?fref=mentions&ft%5Btn%5D=K&ft%5Bqid%5D=6425990469787831455&ft%5Bmf_story_key%5D=-5976245251422426613&ft%5Bei%5D=AI%40e448edbf669abb90d4baadc6eabfcbee&ft%5Btop_level_post_id%5D=1467340573327911&ft%5Bfbfeed_location%5D=1&ft%5Binsertion_position%5D=1&ft%5Bordinal_position%5D=2%3A1&__md__=0> (Neil Butler (BFA  95) and Jason Chiminodes (FSU Alum) in  last  Sunday's Democrat<https://www.facebook.com/tallahasseedemocrat/?fref=mentions&ft%5Btn%5D=K&ft%5Bqid%5D=6425990469787831455&ft%5Bmf_story_key%5D=-5976245251422426613&ft%5Bei%5D=AI%40e448edbf669abb90d4baadc6eabfcbee&ft%5Btop_level_post_id%5D=1467340573327911&ft%5Bfbfeed_location%5D=1&ft%5Binsertion_position%5D=1&ft%5Bordinal_position%5D=2%3A1&__md__=0>. http://www.tallahassee.com/story/entertainment/2017/05/24/locally-made-film-lewis-klarq-synth-pop-odyssey/101833792/

From Courtney Harmstone (BFA 13)  “I am working as a coordinator at Motion Picture Capital http://www.motionpicturecapital.com/about-us - a film financing company located in Soho Square, London.  It's not a permanent job - I am maternity cover for the COO - I'll be handling all her reports/emails/communication while she is away.  Today is my first day, actually! During the time I am working here, I will also be shooting a promotional trailer for fundraising for a feature, which will be pitched at AFM in November.

Please consider supporting INDIGO VALLEY KICKSTARTER - a project developed by Producer, Courtney Harmstone (BFA 13). Indigo Valley and is a drama set in the desolate and isolated landscape of Iceland.  Indigo Valley explores the sinister relationship between two estranged sisters, straight-laced Louise and washed-up, ex-child star, Isabella, and the rising and forbidden romance between Louise’s new husband and Isabella.  Courtney and her all-female team, are raising money through Kickstarter and have just launched.  If possible, please consider donating to the film via Kickstarter or sharing the link within your network!  As you know, every share and spreading the word can help us reach our goal! Here is our Kickstarter link: Indigo Valley Kickstarter<https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1785050827/indigo-valley-short-film>    As this Courtney's first feature as a Producer - any support you could give would be greatly appreciated!  Please feel free to contact Courtney if you have any questions about the project: chharmstone at gmail.com<mailto:chharmstone at gmail.com>

Do you love film or video? Do you have a story to tell? We invite you to participate in the AT&T Create-a-thon, a competition that challenges content creators and filmmakers to produce a short film during a weekend. We're looking for creative thinkers and doers from emerging talent to industry veterans to join us at this special filmmaking event.
Spend the weekend of July 14–15 producing a short film on-site at Warner Bros. Studios at the AT&T Create-a-thon. Join the competition by submitting your film or video idea for a chance to be part of the challenge and be eligible to win cash prizes.  Go to https://tinyurl.com/yaocskt4 complete information.

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – June 1, 2017

Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) was awarded Best Student Film at the GI Film Festival in Washington DC, May 24-28. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.gifilmfestival.com/.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for the monthly edition of the Miami Independent Film Festival. For more information about this festival, go to, http://miamindiefest.com<http://miamindiefest.com/>.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the Atlanta Shortsfest, July 7-8. For more information about this festival, go to www.atlantashortsfest.com<http://www.atlantashortsfest.com/>.

Hedge Hero (BFA Thesis 2016 Lauren Hammond) was invited to screen at the Terminus Conference and Festival in Atlanta, GA, June 22-25. For more information about this festival, go to, https://terminusevent.com<https://terminusevent.com/>.

Beta Test (BFA F3 2016 Gabe Souza), Wildfire (BFA Thesis 2016 Collin Lockett), Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu), Karman (BFA Thesis 2016 Austin Baur), TylerCam (BFA F1 2016 Jacqueline Xerri), Calvin Young’s Finest Hour (MFA D2 2016 Nathan Westenhaver), The Brothers Chaps (BFA Documentary 2016 Austin Tyler/Lauren Chiota), Lola the Great (BFA Thesis 2015 Lydia Dullinger) were selected for screening at the Gen Con Indy Film Festival in Indianapolis, August 17-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.gencon.com<http://www.gencon.com/>.

Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) was selected for screening at the Whatashort Independent International Film Festival in New Delhi, India, July 8-9. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.whatashort.com/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) is an official selection of the European Independent Film Award, an online competition to be held September 30. For more information about this competition, go to www.theeifa.com.

Till Death (MFA D2 2016 Molly Roland) was selected for screening at the Silver Screen for Short Films film festival in Clearwater, Florida on January 10, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.silverscreenforshortfilms.com/.

The Wall (D3 2007 Michael Lloyd Green) was invited to screen in a Best Of screening at the San Diego Jewish Film Festival in June. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.sdcjc.org/sdjff/current/.

Exposure (MFA D1 2016 Mary Jeanes) was selected for screening at Dances with Films in Los Angeles, June 1-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.danceswithfilms.com<http://www.danceswithfilms.com/>.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) was selected for screening at the Deadcenter Film Festival in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, June 8-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.deadcenterfilm.org.

Concessions (MFA D2 2016 Sam Bartz) was selected for screening at the Cape Fear Independent Film Festival in Wilmington, NC, June 15-17. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.cfifn.org/.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) and Super Chef (MFA Thesis 2015 Rochelle Rose)  were selected for screening at the San Francisco Black Film Festival, June 15-18. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.sfbff.org/wordpress/.

Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) was selected for screening at the New York Sun Fest (NYSF), June 16-18. For more information about this festival, go to, http://nysunfest.weebly.com<http://nysunfest.weebly.com/>.

In Motion (BFA F1 2016 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the Roxbury International Film Festival in Boston, June 21 – July 1. For more information about this festival, go to http://roxburyinternationalfilmfestival.org<http://roxburyinternationalfilmfestival.org/>.

Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar) and Snapped (MFA D2 2016 Zarmala Gilani) were selected for screening at the Terminus Conference and Festival in Atlanta, GA, June 22-25. For more information about this festival, go to, https://terminusevent.com<https://terminusevent.com/>.

Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) was selected for screening at the Miami Independent Film Festival, June 23-25. For more information about this festival, go to, http://miamindiefest.com<http://miamindiefest.com/>.

TylerCam (BFA F1 2016 Jacqueline Xerri) was selected for screening at the Long Island International Film Expo, July 13-20. For more information about this film festival, go to, http://longislandfilm.com<http://longislandfilm.com/>.

Wildfire (BFA Thesis 2016 Collin Lockett) was selected for screening at the Super Geek Film Festival in Fort Lauderdale, FL, July 14-30. For more information about this festival, go to, http://floridasupercon.com/category/events/geek-film-festival/.

Wildfire (BFA Thesis 2016 Collin Lockett), Radial (BFA F3 2016 Mary Kate Broadway), Beta Test (BFA F3 2016 Gabe Souza), Rad Rovers (BFA Thesis 2016 Turner Sinopoli), Karman (BFA Thesis 2016 Austin Baur), Mystery Jones! Back in Business (BFA Thesis 2015 Paul Ramsdell), and Iris (MFA D2 2016 Nikki Lee) were all selected for screening at The Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, CA, July 20-23. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.comic-con.org/cci/film-festival.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the Macon Film Festival in Macon, GA, July 20-23. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.maconfilmfestival.com/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at the Stony Brook Film Festival in Stony Brook, NY, July 20-29. For more information about this festival, go to, http://stonybrookfilmfestival.com<http://stonybrookfilmfestival.com/>.

Still Life (BFA F1 2015 Gabriel Valbuena) was selected for competition in the Prince of Prestige Academy Awards in Winter Park, Florida on July 30. For more information about this festival, go to http://popfilmaward.com/.

Isa and the Frog Prince (MFA Thesis 2015 Yingxiang Huang) was invited to screen in the 22° Festival Internacional de Cine para Niños (…y no tan Niños) in La Matatena, Mexico, August 8-13. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.lamatatena.org/el-festival-de-cine.html.

A Little Drama (MFA D1 Brandon Shenk) was selected for screening at the North Carolina Gay and Lesbian Film Festival in Durham, NC, August 10-13. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.carolinatheatre.org/films/festivals/ncglff.

Flying High (BFA FD3 2015 Christian Klein) was selected for screening at the IndieWise Virtual Film Festival, August 25-27. For more information about this festival, go to http://convention.getindiewise.com<http://convention.getindiewise.com/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles Independent Film Festival Awards, August 26. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.laiffawards.com<http://www.laiffawards.com/>.

Radial (BFA F3 2016 Mary Kate Broadway), Chocolate Lava Cake (MFA D1 2016 Xiao Ma), In Motion (BFA F1 2016 Raymond Knudsen), Dad in a Box (MFA D2 2016 Bethany Miller), TylerCam (BFA F1 2016 Jacqueline Xerri), Falling for You (MFA D1 2016 Laura Johnson), Spooky Breakup (MFA D1 2016 Jonpaul Rodriguez), Love and the Dozens (MFA D1 2016 Cole Goslee), Battle of the Brides (MFA Thesis 2016 Phillip Thomas), and Love is Blind (MFA D1 2016 Jonas Schubach) were selected for screening in the Central Florida Film Festival, Orlando, FL, September 1-3. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/>.

Georgia to Maine (BFA Documentary 2016 Reid Lauff/Parker McBain) was selected for screening at the Travel FilmFest International Film Festival in Limassol, Cyprus, October 19-22. For more information about this festival, go to http://travelfilmfest.com/

Sanctuary (BFA Documentary 2015 Grace Marrero) was selected for screening at the Wildlife Conservation Film Festival in New York City, October 19-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.wcff.org<http://www.wcff.org/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Short of April at the Gold Movie Awards in London, January 11, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.goldmovieawards.com<http://www.goldmovieawards.com/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Woman Filmmaker at the Hollywood International Moving Pictures Film Festival in Los Angeles, CA, January 27, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.himpff.com<http://www.himpff.com/>.
We are looking for ideas in all genres that cover short films, narrative shorts, webisodes, and any other short form videos. Follow the instructions below to enter. If your idea and team advance to the next round, you’ll need to flex your creative muscle and film a scene for your short at Warner Bros. Studios.