[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 7.27.17

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Jul 27 17:08:29 EDT 2017

Congratulations to Erik Jaffe (BFA 13)  who is the Pitch to Pilot winner.   Read a great article at http://www.adweek.com/tv-video/the-winner-of-the-pitch-to-pilot-program-wants-to-burst-social-bubbles-and-bring-strangers-together/amp/ and another one at  http://trendingallday.com/eric-jaffe-pitch-pilot-winner/

Barry Jenkins (BFA 03) was announced as a SXSW<https://www.facebook.com/SXSWFestival/?fref=mentions> Keynote Speaker for #SXSW<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/sxsw?source=feed_text&story_id=1975358315823681> 2018!

From Grisha Alasadi (BFA 00)  “Two years ago in 2015 I edited a PBS documentary called "To climb a Gold Mountain" today July 26 2017 it won the 69th LA Area Emmy Award for best Independent Programming. Yes!  Finally a project I was creatively part of received its well deserved recognition. I think that gives me some bragging rights, no?! At any rate, thank you Alex Azim and Rebecca Hu for bringing me on board and allowing me to edit this still very current and relevant documentary.”

From Chris Amick (BFA 10)  “Ben Mekler (BFA 10) and I wanted to reach out because the TBS series we're writing on, FINAL SPACE, just released their cast announcement video. We're super excited to announce that we've been writing for Gina Torres, Fred Armisen, David Tennant, Steven Yeun, Tom Kenny, John DiMaggio, Conan O'Brien, Ron Perlman, and of course the series creator and lead, Olan Rogers! Here's a link to the epic announcement from Olan, which includes a sneak peek at the art: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgMpc0WI0WE  The series premieres in 2018 and we hope everyone watches it and/or downloads it illegally!”

From Aaron Moorhead (BFA 08)  “Heart bursting to announce that our passion project The Endless won top prize at Naff Bifan<https://www.facebook.com/naff.pifan?fref=mentions>, the largest genre event in Asia and the biggest award of our career. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! Cast and crew, you must drink a bottle of soju and eat all-you-can-eat BBQ to celebrate!”

From Filipe Bessa (BFA 04)  “My younger brother is a musician in Brazil and is in search of filmmakers as collaborators on a project. I thought this would reach the right audience via the Warren Report... Here it is:
My younger brother is a musician in Brazil and is in search of filmmakers as collaborators on a project. I thought this would reach the right audience via the Warren Report... Here it is:Hey!  This is an e-mail/invitation for you to join in this collaborative video project idealized by the singer-songwriter Gui Hargreaves and the videomaker Flávio Charchar.The project "Fim Do Sem Fim" is named after Gui's new single tune from the "Volta" album (recorded in London last year, also collaboratively) to be released in the following month.  In the link bellow you can find inside this Google Drive folder a complete open-letter invitation and all the information you need to know about our project. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByP-3MiOzdz7OVlFUjFGUXBCSm8?usp=sharing    It will be just fantastic to have you on board on this video with us! let us know about any doubts you may have, just email us here.

Jonas Schubach’s (MFA 1)  two pre-Film School films, “Dirty Money” and “Heavens” were selected by the Knoxville Film Festival and will be screened on Saturday, September 16!

From Josh Crute (MFA  12) Asteria has been accepted by HollyShorts Film Festival (August 10-19) in Hollywood, CA, and Sidewalk Film Festival (August 22-27) in Birmingham, AL. Its about a painter who's been commissioned by earth to fly across the galaxy and paint the wonders of the universe. Co-produced with George Telonis (MFA 12), cinematography by Ray Langridge (MFA 12), 1st AD'd by Dustin McLean (MFA 12), and 1st AC'd by Alex Cameron (BFA 13). The movie is nearly dialogue-free, uses a mixture of practical sets and visual effects, and pays homage to the music of Gustav Holst. You can check it here at: https://vimeo.com/213701724

From Brittany Gutheim (MFA 04)  “I’ve been working as an Art Assistant on Ant-Man and the Wasp since last November, moving from Los Angeles to Atlanta Pinewood Studios for the duration of pre-production, and we’ll be shooting soon! It’s been pretty exciting to see everything go from beginning sketches into incredibly expansive sets, and I couldn’t be more grateful for all the support from our various alumni both here in ATL and back in LA. I should return to LA mid November, but till then, it’sbeen a blast here with Marvel Studios!”

From Kelly Rouse-Willis (BFA 96)  “I wanted to let you know that I'm starting my MFA in Screenwriting and TV at Stephens College. It's a two year program and I'm headed to LA next week to start workshops. My mentors will be Philip LaZebnik and Bill Rabkin.  I'm very excited!”

From Veronica Delgado (BFA ADA 15)  “Currently I edit for a boutique production company, Brave Man Media, in Delray Beach. We are working on our second commercial campaign with Remitly, a money lending app. Here's the videos of our first campaign which runs nationally on Univision: Remitly 'Relax' - New Family<https://vimeo.com/207657348>, Remitly 'Relax' - Mission Impossible<https://vimeo.com/209462503>. I also have been able to flex my VFX/motion graphics skills; working with our creative director to design and build the look of a music video we worked on last summer for a local band, Raggy Monster. Raggy Monster - Fool's Gold<https://vimeo.com/206670583>

From Courtney Harmstone (BFA 12)  “I wanted to reach out to let you know that we are hosting another Catfish Shorts! event in London on the 9th of September!  The event is called East Meets West and is focused again on female filmmakers in leading roles across the globe. I wanted to shoot over our film freeway link in case any of the FSU alums would be interested in submitting again.  We also have a discount code for students, for up to 50% off entry fees: CATFISHSTUDENT<https://filmfreeway.com/discount_codes/232765/edit>  There is also a cash prize for Best Picture of £500!  https://filmfreeway.com/festival/CatfishShorts   I hope we can host some more FSU students.  The New York event was really wonderful and I really enjoyed showing off the quality of my alma mater.”

The Script Lab is launching its first ever Screenwriting Virtual Summit – a FREE weekend of lectures and interviews with Oscar-winning filmmakers and Emmy-winning TV writers! And best of all, it’s FREE to register for two days of access to this amazing content.  Go here for complete information and to register:   https://summit.thescriptlab.com/?inf_contact_key=d1e8481e868dbab23e09b8ee3ace930f9e8596e007bd7b61b8280f9efb6f4fc7

ASSISTANT VIDEO EDITOR NEEDED – MyStemKits.com, the world’s leading library of 3D-printable manipulatives for S.T.E.M. education, is hiring! We are looking for a talented video editor to assist with the creation of assorted videos which explain and/or promote our product. The primary responsibility of the person selected will be to edit recorded videos into seamless compositions both visually and audibly. Editor would work predominantly on our Kit Introduction series, which you can find on our YouTube page. Position is part-time freelance work. Must be familiar with Premiere CC and can provide their own computer. If interested, please send your resume and reel/samples to Hannah Olson at holson at mystemkits.com<mailto:holson at mystemkits.com>.

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – July 27, 2017

Wildfire (BFA Thesis 2016 Collin Lockett) was awarded Best Humor Film and Karman (BFA Thesis 2016 Austin Baur) was awarded Best Action/Adventure Film at The Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, CA, July 20-23. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.comic-con.org/cci/film-festival.

Georgia to Maine (BFA Documentary 2016 Reid Lauff/Parker McBain) was selected for screening at the Maine Outdoor Film Festival in Portland, Maine, September 2 – October 7. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.maineoutdoorfilmfestival.com/.

Deadmeat (BFA Thesis 2017 Drew Mazzarella/Sabrina Grimes) was selected as a semi-finalist at the Women in Horror Film Festival in Atlanta, GA, September 22-24. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.wihff.com<http://www.wihff.com/>.

Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) was selected for screening at the Hope Film Awards in Las Vegas, NV, September 2017. For more information about the festival, go to, https://sites.google.com/view/hope-film-awards/home?authuser=5.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the International Black Film Festival in Nashville, TN, October 5-8. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.ibffevents.com<https://www.ibffevents.com/>.

Till Death (MFA D2 2016 Molly Roland) was selected for screening at FilmQuest in Provo, Utah, September 8-16. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.filmquestfest.com<http://www.filmquestfest.com/>.

Till Death (MFA D2 2016 Molly Roland) was selected as a semi-finalist at the Atlanta Underground Film Festival, August 18-20. For more information about the festival, go to, http://www.auff.org/home.html.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at the Stony Brook Film Festival in Stony Brook, NY, July 20-29. For more information about this festival, go to, http://stonybrookfilmfestival.com<http://stonybrookfilmfestival.com/>.

Still Life (BFA F1 2015 Gabriel Valbuena) was selected for competition in the Prince of Prestige Academy Awards in Winter Park, Florida on July 30. For more information about this festival, go to http://popfilmaward.com/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at LA Shorts International Film Festival, August 2-10. For more information about this festival, go to http://lashortsfest.com.

Not My God (BFA F3 2017 Anthony Romaguera) was selected for screening at the Something Wicked Film Festival in Forest Park, GA, August 4-6. For more information about this festival, go to, http://somethingwickedfilmfestival.com<http://somethingwickedfilmfestival.com/>.

My Girl Rose (MFA Thesis 2014 Jordan Lewis) was selected to appear on American Black Film Festival’s Aspire TV on August 8 at 8pm. For more information, go to, http://www.aspire.tv/.

Isa and the Frog Prince (MFA Thesis 2015 Yingxiang Huang) was invited to screen in the 22° Festival Internacional de Cine para Niños (…y no tan Niños) in La Matatena, Mexico, August 8-13. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.lamatatena.org/el-festival-de-cine.html.

Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Drina Andre) and A Little Drama (MFA D1 Brandon Shenk) were selected for screening at the North Carolina Gay and Lesbian Film Festival in Durham, NC, August 10-13. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.carolinatheatre.org/films/festivals/ncglff.

Heavy Weight (MFA Thesis 2016 Jennifer Silver/Alex White) was selected for screening at the SoCal Clips Indie Film Festival in Los Angeles, CA, August 11-13. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.socalciff.com.

Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) was selected for screening at the Popcorn Frights Film Festival in Miami, August 11-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.popcornfrights.com<http://www.popcornfrights.com/>.

Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Alexandrina Andre), Spin Cycle (MFA D2 2016 Janeen Talbott), Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity), In Motion (BFA F1 2016 Raymond Knudsen), The Voice from the Page (MFA Thesis 2016 Andrea Branch), and Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) were selected for screening at the BronzeLens Film Festival in Atlanta, GA, August 16-20. For more information about this festival, go to, http://bronzelens.com.

Beta Test (BFA F3 2016 Gabe Souza), Wildfire (BFA Thesis 2016 Collin Lockett), Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu), Karman (BFA Thesis 2016 Austin Baur), TylerCam (BFA F1 2016 Jacqueline Xerri), Calvin Young’s Finest Hour (MFA D2 2016 Nathan Westenhaver), The Brothers Chaps (BFA Documentary 2016 Austin Tyler/Lauren Chiota), Lola the Great (BFA Thesis 2015 Lydia Dullinger) were selected for screening at the Gen Con Indy Film Festival in Indianapolis, August 17-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.gencon.com<http://www.gencon.com/>.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen at FrightFest in London, August 24-28. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.frightfest.co.uk/.

Flying High (BFA FD3 2015 Christian Klein) was selected for screening at the IndieWise Virtual Film Festival, August 25-27. For more information about this festival, go to http://convention.getindiewise.com.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles Independent Film Festival Awards, August 26. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.laiffawards.com<http://www.laiffawards.com/>.

Radial (BFA F3 2016 Mary Kate Broadway), Chocolate Lava Cake (MFA D1 2016 Xiao Ma), In Motion (BFA F1 2016 Raymond Knudsen), Dad in a Box (MFA D2 2016 Bethany Miller), TylerCam (BFA F1 2016 Jacqueline Xerri), Falling for You (MFA D1 2016 Laura Johnson), Spooky Breakup (MFA D1 2016 Jonpaul Rodriguez), Love and the Dozens (MFA D1 2016 Cole Goslee), Battle of the Brides (MFA Thesis 2016 Phillip Thomas), and Love is Blind (MFA D1 2016 Jonas Schubach) were selected for screening in the Central Florida Film Festival, Orlando, FL, September 1-3. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/>.

TylerCam (BFA F1 2016 Jacqueline Xerri) and Till Death (MFA D2 2016 Molly Roland) were selected for screening at Dragon Con Independent Short Film Festival in Atlanta, GA, September 1-4. For more information about this festival, go to, www.filmfest.dragoncon.org<http://www.filmfest.dragoncon.org/>.

Shark Attack (BFA Thesis 2016 Victoria Cragg/Grace Colley) and Blasted (BFA Thesis 2016 Christian Klein) were selected for screening at the Burbank International Film Festival, September 6-10. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.burbankfilmfest.org<http://www.burbankfilmfest.org/>.

Iris (MFA D2 2016 Nikki Lee), Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) and Devil’s Luck (MFA D2 2016 Rob Eaton) were selected for screening at the Rendezvous Film Festival on Amelia Island, September 21-23. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.rendezvousfestival.org/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) is an official selection of the European Independent Film Award, an online competition to be held September 30. For more information about this competition, go to www.theeifa.com.

Georgia to Maine (BFA Documentary 2016 Reid Lauff/Parker McBain) was selected for screening at the Travel FilmFest International Film Festival in Limassol, Cyprus, October 19-22. For more information about this festival, go to http://travelfilmfest.com/

Sanctuary (BFA Documentary 2015 Grace Marrero) was selected for screening at the Wildlife Conservation Film Festival in New York City, October 19-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.wcff.org<http://www.wcff.org/>.

Till Death (MFA D2 2016 Molly Roland) was selected for screening at the Silver Screen for Short Films film festival in Clearwater, Florida on January 10, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.silverscreenforshortfilms.com/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Short of April at the Gold Movie Awards in London, January 11, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.goldmovieawards.com<http://www.goldmovieawards.com/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Woman Filmmaker at the Hollywood International Moving Pictures Film Festival in Los Angeles, CA, January 27, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.himpff.com<http://www.himpff.com/>.