[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 7.13.17

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Jul 13 17:26:13 EDT 2017

“Annapurna, Jenkins' Pastel and Plan B will produce the adaptation of 'If Beale Street Could Talk.'    For his feature follow-up to the Oscar-winning Moonlight, director Barry Jenkins (BFA 03)  will be adapting James Baldwin.  Jenkins will helm If Beale Street Could Talk, which he adapted from the author's 1974 novel that is set in '70s Harlem and follows young engaged couple Fonny and Tish. When Fonny is falsely accused of rape, Tish, who is pregnant with their child, races to find evidence that will prove Fonny's innocence.  Annapurna Pictures will finance and produce the adaptation, along with Moonlight production company Plan B. The movie marks the first feature under the production pact between Jenkins' Pastel Pictures and Annapurna<http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/barry-jenkins-inks-production-pact-annapurna-1004248>, which is currently gearing up for the release of the Kathryn Bigelow drama Detroit.. Se the Hollywood Reporter article at http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/moonlight-director-barry-jenkins-adapt-james-baldwin-novel-next-movie-1019669

Congratulations to Kelsey Scott who has been nominated for an Emmy for her role as Sierra in Fear the Walking Dead!

And to Rob Butler (MFA 97) for Outstanding Picture Editing for an Unstructured Reality Program, Deadliest Catch, Uncharted Territory!

If other alums received Emmy nominations, please let me know, since due to the large number of categories I haven’t tried to search the 65 page nominee list.

Attention Directors:   Reb is looking for someone to teach directing for the Fall Semester.  Need to have film directing experience, teaching experience a plus, be able to be in Tallahassee for the Fall Semester.   He will work with you on some travel back to your home base.  If you have any interest please contact Reb asap rbraddock at fsu.edu<mailto:rbraddock at fsu.edu> for more information.

From Jonathan King (MFA 92) “Our (Participant Media)  big summer movie is the sequel to AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH which is opening limited on July 28 and then going wide on August 4.  It is very good, surprisingly hopeful in this environment.  We also have a smaller indie prison gangster movie called SHOT CALLER that is opening in theaters on August 18.  It will have a preview window on DirecTV at the end of this month too.  I can't remember if I told you, but I was walking through the production office in New Mexico during pre-production and ran into Derek Jensen (MFA 92) who was our art director.  I hadn't seen him in years.  This fall we have two movies, BREATHE and WONDER.  And then that may be it for the year.  Trying to get the next batch started.”

Delighted to welcome George Reasner (MFA 94) back to the film school to teach our Summer ASC  workshops!

Akil DuPont (MFA '10) By the time you read this, We'll probably be in production for my next short film, "Po' Psi Broke!" It's a broad comedy about a rich freshman trying to get into a poor and PROUD fraternity (think Talladega Nights meets Old School). Sarah Corkern (MFA 16)  just came on board as DP.  I've been in the play world so long with "Underground", it'll be wonderful to get my film feet moving again. This will be the first film that I'm creating in Atlanta, Georgia. If any alums are out and about, come by set! On a side note, my day job is at Pinewood Studios and it feels like good ol times to see Dean Frank Patterson walking around the halls :)

From Erin Smyth (BFA 3). “For my thesis film, I’m using animation to explore the relationships people form with one another through the lens of the five senses in order to make these intangible feelings something concrete and to show the various definitions of love. Follow the link to take the survey! https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YouByMe

From Paul Cohen: I am currently recruiting a select group of students to join our team to directly assist me in my independent motion picture marketing company which consults with a variety of producer, director and distribution clients in the motion picture industry, as we market their fall releases throughout the country. You will participate in regularly scheduled marketing calls with industry executives regarding their films…Monday, August 28th through Friday, December 8th The Torchlight Program<http://film.fsu.edu/Programs/The-Torchlight-Program> Currently Accepting Applicants Phone Interviews Available July 10th – August 31st Personal Interviews In July Begin Monday, July 10th through Friday, August 4th Personal Interviews Will Continue During Drop Add Week August 28th, 29th, 30th & 31st   Contact: Gayle Gari / Administrative Assistant E-mail: pcasstgayle at gmail.com<mailto:pcasstgayle at gmail.com>… Mobile: 845.300.0268<tel:(845)%20300-0268>

From Eyad Zahara (BFA 04): The company I work with, WeWork is looking for a Video Editor/Animator in their NY office:  https://boards.greenhouse.io/wework/jobs/751271?gh_jid=751271#.WWQx5xOGP_R    If you are interested, Eyan woiuld be glad to talk with you, just email me and I’ll connect you.

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – July 13, 2017

Not My God (BFA F3 2017 Anthony Romaguera) was selected for screening at the Something Wicked Film Festival in Forest Park, GA, August 4-6. For more information about this festival, go to, http://somethingwickedfilmfestival.com<http://somethingwickedfilmfestival.com/>.

Shark Attack (BFA Thesis 2016 Victoria Cragg) was selected for screening at the Burbank International Film Festival, September 6-10. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.burbankfilmfest.org<http://www.burbankfilmfest.org/>.

Built to Serve (BFA Thesis 2014 Dylan Chase) was selected for screening at the San Francisco Frozen Film Festival, July 20-23. For more information, go to, http://www.frozenfilmfestival.com<http://www.frozenfilmfestival.com/>.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen at FrightFest in London, August 24-28. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.frightfest.co.uk/.

My Girl Rose (MFA Thesis 2014 Jordan Lewis) was selected to appear on American Black Film Festival’s Aspire TV on August 8 at 8pm. For more information, go to, http://www.aspire.tv/.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) was selected to receive the Honorable Mention Award at the Rehoboth Beach Independent Film Festival for the Morris and Roslyn Fierberg Student Film Award. For more information, go to, http://www.rehobothfilm.com.

TylerCam (BFA F1 2016 Jacqueline Xerri) was selected for screening at the Long Island International Film Expo, July 13-20. For more information about this film festival, go to, http://longislandfilm.com.

Wildfire (BFA Thesis 2016 Collin Lockett) was selected for screening at the Super Geek Film Festival in Fort Lauderdale, FL, July 14-30. For more information about this festival, go to, http://floridasupercon.com/category/events/geek-film-festival/.

Sure-Fire (MFA Thesis 2016 Allison Izzo), Wildfire (BFA Thesis 2016 Collin Lockett), Radial (BFA F3 2016 Mary Kate Broadway), Beta Test (BFA F3 2016 Gabe Souza), Rad Rovers (BFA Thesis 2016 Turner Sinopoli), Karman (BFA Thesis 2016 Austin Baur), Mystery Jones! Back in Business (BFA Thesis 2015 Paul Ramsdell), and Iris (MFA D2 2016 Nikki Lee) were all selected for screening at The Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, CA, July 20-23. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.comic-con.org/cci/film-festival.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu), Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Drina Andre) and Rad Rovers (BFA Thesis 2016 Turner Sinopoli) were selected for screening at the San Francisco Frozen Film Festival, July 20-23. For more information about this festival, go to www.frozenfilmfestival.com.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the Macon Film Festival in Macon, GA, July 20-23. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.maconfilmfestival.com/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at the Stony Brook Film Festival in Stony Brook, NY, July 20-29. For more information about this festival, go to, http://stonybrookfilmfestival.com<http://stonybrookfilmfestival.com/>.

Still Life (BFA F1 2015 Gabriel Valbuena) was selected for competition in the Prince of Prestige Academy Awards in Winter Park, Florida on July 30. For more information about this festival, go to http://popfilmaward.com/.

Isa and the Frog Prince (MFA Thesis 2015 Yingxiang Huang) was invited to screen in the 22° Festival Internacional de Cine para Niños (…y no tan Niños) in La Matatena, Mexico, August 8-13. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.lamatatena.org/el-festival-de-cine.html.

Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Drina Andre) and A Little Drama (MFA D1 Brandon Shenk) were selected for screening at the North Carolina Gay and Lesbian Film Festival in Durham, NC, August 10-13. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.carolinatheatre.org/films/festivals/ncglff.

Heavy Weight (MFA Thesis 2016 Jennifer Silver/Alex White) was selected for screening at the SoCal Clips Indie Film Festival in Los Angeles, CA, August 11-13. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.socalciff.com.

Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) was selected for screening at the Popcorn Frights Film Festival in Miami, August 11-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.popcornfrights.com<http://www.popcornfrights.com/>.

Beta Test (BFA F3 2016 Gabe Souza), Wildfire (BFA Thesis 2016 Collin Lockett), Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu), Karman (BFA Thesis 2016 Austin Baur), TylerCam (BFA F1 2016 Jacqueline Xerri), Calvin Young’s Finest Hour (MFA D2 2016 Nathan Westenhaver), The Brothers Chaps (BFA Documentary 2016 Austin Tyler/Lauren Chiota), Lola the Great (BFA Thesis 2015 Lydia Dullinger) were selected for screening at the Gen Con Indy Film Festival in Indianapolis, August 17-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.gencon.com<http://www.gencon.com/>.

Flying High (BFA FD3 2015 Christian Klein) was selected for screening at the IndieWise Virtual Film Festival, August 25-27. For more information about this festival, go to http://convention.getindiewise.com.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles Independent Film Festival Awards, August 26. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.laiffawards.com<http://www.laiffawards.com/>.

Radial (BFA F3 2016 Mary Kate Broadway), Chocolate Lava Cake (MFA D1 2016 Xiao Ma), In Motion (BFA F1 2016 Raymond Knudsen), Dad in a Box (MFA D2 2016 Bethany Miller), TylerCam (BFA F1 2016 Jacqueline Xerri), Falling for You (MFA D1 2016 Laura Johnson), Spooky Breakup (MFA D1 2016 Jonpaul Rodriguez), Love and the Dozens (MFA D1 2016 Cole Goslee), Battle of the Brides (MFA Thesis 2016 Phillip Thomas), and Love is Blind (MFA D1 2016 Jonas Schubach) were selected for screening in the Central Florida Film Festival, Orlando, FL, September 1-3. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/>.

TylerCam (BFA F1 2016 Jacqueline Xerri) was selected for screening at Dragon Con Independent Short Film Festival in Atlanta, GA, September 1-4. For more information about this festival, go to, www.filmfest.dragoncon.org<http://www.filmfest.dragoncon.org/>.

Iris (MFA D2 2016 Nikki Lee), Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) and Devil’s Luck (MFA D2 2016 Rob Eaton) were selected for screening at the Rendezvous Film Festival on Amelia Island, September 21-23. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.rendezvousfestival.org/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) is an official selection of the European Independent Film Award, an online competition to be held September 30. For more information about this competition, go to www.theeifa.com.

Georgia to Maine (BFA Documentary 2016 Reid Lauff/Parker McBain) was selected for screening at the Travel FilmFest International Film Festival in Limassol, Cyprus, October 19-22. For more information about this festival, go to http://travelfilmfest.com/

Sanctuary (BFA Documentary 2015 Grace Marrero) was selected for screening at the Wildlife Conservation Film Festival in New York City, October 19-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.wcff.org<http://www.wcff.org/>.

Till Death (MFA D2 2016 Molly Roland) was selected for screening at the Silver Screen for Short Films film festival in Clearwater, Florida on January 10, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.silverscreenforshortfilms.com/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Short of April at the Gold Movie Awards in London, January 11, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.goldmovieawards.com<http://www.goldmovieawards.com/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Woman Filmmaker at the Hollywood International Moving Pictures Film Festival in Los Angeles, CA, January 27, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.himpff.com<http://www.himpff.com/>.