[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 12.14.17

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Dec 14 12:40:24 EST 2017

Tonight and tomorrow our newest filmmakers are showing off their films! Come support our BFA1s and our MFA1s with their Filmmaking 1 and Directing 1 projects - tonight and tomorrow at Student Life Cinema<https://www.facebook.com/studentlifecinema/?fref=mentions> at 7pm!

From Matt Beans (MFA  05)  “It's been almost two years since I started working on this show and finally I can talk about it. Be sure to check it out, January 19th, on Netflix! It's a tremendous amount of fun!’  Read the Deadline article at:
http://deadline.com/2017/12/netflix-dreamworks-animation-television-trolls-she-ra-boss-baby-trollhunters-captain-underpants-1202224973/

From Alex Durham (BFA 06)  “Netflix revealed its top ten most-binged shows of 2017 and our doc series, The Confession Tapes, made the list.  Our crew proved you don’t need a lot of time or money to make a hit. As long as the focus is on telling a great story, you can compete with anyone.”

The Sundance updates just keep on coming:

From Carey Williams (MFA 00)  “The film Emergency was made as a part of Film Independent Project Involve. Actually Julio C. Perez (MFA  02) was our editing advisor on the film!   Our film is the first in the 25 years of Project Involve program to be selected for Sundance.  The program consists of 5 filmmakers are selected from various fields - Cinematography, Directing, Writing, Editing, Producing and we come together and make a film with the help of Film Independent. I was the director on this project.  Here’s our website.
https://www.emergencyshortfilm.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.emergencyshortfilm.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=fEO01fGEg2qMWYJQOKhbw90Z9e4xu14tvXWLhgKG0yA&s=tqsaNDooAXqxSOsJr2xKa5uEHWLR4FsO9D00mGkx_pk&e=>  and our screening times at sundnace
Friday, January 19, noon - 1:44 p.m. Temple Theatre, Park City
Saturday, January 20, noon - 1:44 p.m. Redstone Cinema 7, Park City
Saturday, January 20, 9:45 p.m. - 11:29 p.m. Broadway Centre Cinema 3, SLC
Thursday, January 25, 6:00 p.m. - 7:44 p.m. Park Avenue Theatre, Park City

“The Tallahassee Film Festival is accepting submissions thru Jan. 15. The link is below:   https://tallahasseefilmfestival.com/submit-your-film/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__tallahasseefilmfestival.com_submit-2Dyour-2Dfilm_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=NWIPRSt7y_xt2GZF_ETlcL2qkk_i_e_hXER0S-jkNkU&s=YRXbzY9KwKrndFhBET1ooKKCgy0KIDNw0FEzKuhRvnI&e=>    Festival is March 23-25 at FSU's SLC cinema and All Saints Cinema. Submission fees for features and shorts are $30/$25.

From Briana Frapart (BFA 11)  “Things are great on my end, and definitely more K-Pop than ever (haha). The first half of 2017 I spent producing commercials, music videos and network pilots, then casting commercials and pilots, and pitching a K-Pop related series to networks. I now have a development deal with Warner Bros.' digital arm for an unscripted K-Pop series, which is another dream come true. It's been my first experience learning about showrunning, so I'm learning a lot and excited for 2018! I also started talent managing dance choreographers and K-Pop acts this year, such as Ellen Kim and Kevin Woo, and consulting/managing for U.S. business with Korean companies like JYP and YG. Right now one of my most exciting projects to date is a campaign with artist BamBam of Got7 and the U.S. charitable company Represent (works with notable celebrities, artists, and athletes to launch their own clothing brand that donates a portion of the campaign's proceeds to nonprofits of the artists' choice). Feel free to check it out at https://represent.com/bambam<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__represent.com_bambam&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=63XhCpcJIemdLrBC08dIKj3KDMvCCiVfZrsl6vTJK1Y&s=CaZELojx5jUGqJjb1tsrYwr8Ymu4zi8oDCfK0U2kmh8&e=> for more details. Ah and I was on the Ellen Show with the K-Pop group that's been taking the U.S. by storm this year -- BTS. Love those guys! When I'm not producing, managing, or casting, I'm usually weightlifting or helping friends on their passion projects! This year I'm getting better with updating my work/credits on my website: brianafrapart.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__brianafrapart.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=63XhCpcJIemdLrBC08dIKj3KDMvCCiVfZrsl6vTJK1Y&s=Tzi1IFxrprCvWBVtzH_TcXFQvs25O9aldvK-VpFAjC0&e=>. After being in Los Angeles for a little over 5 years now, I continue to cherish how much the film school has contributed to my dream career. Hope you have a wonderful holiday season and Happy New Year!”

From Ben Fredman (MFA 13)  “I  was a camera operator on a documentary Judd Apatow directed for HBO coming out in March - “The Zen Diaries of Gary Schandling.” We had some great interviews - Sacha Baron Cohen, Jay Leno, Conan O’Brian, Jeff Goldblum, and many more! I camera operated on field segments for “I Love You, America" with Sarah Silverman which is now on Hulu. Last Friday, I camera operated on a “A Night with Tim Heidecker” at the Regent Theater in LA. His (hilarious) special will be out this spring. And I’ve been working on “The Grand Tour” as a DIT whenever the UK based crew films in the USA. It’s quite the adventure - stunning locations and we’ve occasionally rolled up to 26 cameras at a time. I’ve seen them drive a car off a cliff and race vintage Jaguar’s down snow-covered ski slopes. Season 2 now streaming on Amazon Prime!”

Congratulations to April Billingsley (BFA 06) who won her second Best Actress Award at the American Filmatic Arts Awards in  NYC last week for The 12 Lives of Sissy Carlyle<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_sissycarlylemovie_-3Ffref-3Dmentions&d=DwMCaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=PhnWVlzJFm5ma65DTvlhYbyoGr3yqcn25AzW1N5G4kI&s=IGGHQbT1MyWo3w7D5Kmgd3gXuu2cg3vn_NqAekV0-4s&e=>, which also won Best Feature and Best Woman Director.

From Jodie Myers (BFA 97)  “I think I can write a feature length comedy/drama on my apartment's revolving door... looking for a new one again.  https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/roo/d/room-prvt-ba-in-2bd-2ba-apt/6416566732.html<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__losangeles.craigslist.org_lac_roo_d_room-2Dprvt-2Dba-2Din-2D2bd-2D2ba-2Dapt_6416566732.html&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=xV8Ob1mID0ehMIHHztkfRCiQxwxZBI9h1AY2tJm3aDE&s=Ui0NkVDY7SUtVZyp3v7eLlqn9zMa7XyFGtzbMTMWaaE&e=>

From Anthony Cabrera (BFA ADA 15)  “The Lucasfilm and ILM-SF 2018 Summer Internship positions are now online!   https://jobs.lucasfilm.com/internships.html<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__jobs.lucasfilm.com_internships.html&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=bJfdYVKgP9UtQjvOleLwNPh14w_C6Ls_fMPbP7zZeHM&s=YRy4Oct4Lb5Q_yfMj3l-DxIV5KO7gPuQs1s5ChJzg1g&e=>    A few things to note:
• All internships are paid
• The program runs for 12 weeks over the summer months
• Departments hiring interns this year include IT, PE, MSE, Business Affairs, Publicity, Story, R&D and more
• Lucasfilm and ILM partner with Disney Campus Recruitment during the hiring process
• Interns are for both undergraduate and graduate students – please check the requirements on the job description
If you have contacts who are interested in any of our positions, please have them apply online via the Disney site here<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__jobs.disneycareers.com_search-2Djobs-3Fk-3Dinternship-26alp-3D6252001-2D5332921-2D5391997-2D5391959-26alt-3D4-26r-3D5-26kt-3D1-26ascf-3D-5B-257B-2522key-2522-3A-2522is-5Fmanager-2522-2C-2522value-2522-3A-2522Professional-2520Internship-2522-257D-5D&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=bJfdYVKgP9UtQjvOleLwNPh14w_C6Ls_fMPbP7zZeHM&s=abloXhNc5II9y5mbzIM-ROv9P5DrjPz3Que1jv-HTu8&e=>.

Fuse TV<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.fuse.tv_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=CzE89fNeH2gnvCMYqwDFJ-git9J_e09-KwulZ7dr47k&m=ElaEjnBjoODydRwjWslAhva6Nvvs1H6tPYHsOoUSUhw&s=CAI6vhzun4h9OGHS9D_JIxneScihwP5OAC7fkcK7lmQ&e=> and Magical Elves<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.magicalelves.com_current&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=CzE89fNeH2gnvCMYqwDFJ-git9J_e09-KwulZ7dr47k&m=ElaEjnBjoODydRwjWslAhva6Nvvs1H6tPYHsOoUSUhw&s=br5daVtn4Qv1lqCDimfpMCHvzNGwjfMD8jJXu70nvbI&e=> production company have paired up with Rumble Yard <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.rumbleyard.com_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=CzE89fNeH2gnvCMYqwDFJ-git9J_e09-KwulZ7dr47k&m=ElaEjnBjoODydRwjWslAhva6Nvvs1H6tPYHsOoUSUhw&s=vEGw62swl9Rl0Ii90Cwfurr0nwREdWCIBXjCR6yZ1RI&e=> and are casting a new competition show highlighting up-and-coming music video directors. If you love making music videos and want the chance to have your vision represent the song of one of your favorite artists, apply now!  In the show, two visionaries get a chance to work with a popular artist to create a music video for them! The artist decides which video suits their song and their style the best, and that video becomes their official music video for their song! It's very exciting, and an amazing exposure opportunity for up-and-coming directors.If you have questions, please feel free to email: oliviagcasting at gmail.com<mailto:oliviagcasting at gmail.com>  If you'd like to apply, please visit: https://musicvideoproject.castingcrane.com/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__musicvideoproject.castingcrane.com_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=CzE89fNeH2gnvCMYqwDFJ-git9J_e09-KwulZ7dr47k&m=ElaEjnBjoODydRwjWslAhva6Nvvs1H6tPYHsOoUSUhw&s=S16AlgAxL6bGx1Tg0D06OwbUCauonzXtuC6EpNmLjrY&e=>

“The Creative Services team at Facebook is looking for an experienced producer that has the ability to develop creative for a wide array of projects from small to large. This person will be working on a diverse set of projects across the company. They should have experience with creating productions that contain live action, motion graphics and string outs. Flexibility and speed is key. Things move fast here. This is a full-time position based in Menlo Park, California.”   NOTE:  if you are interested in this position email me and I’ll send you the complete position description.

“The Valdosta State University Mass Media program has ten full-time faculty and almost 300 majors.   It features two newly - renovated HD TV studios, one audio studio, two computer labs, extensive field production equipment, and a remote production trailer.   Student work is featured on VSU-TV and on the WVVS-FM radio station.  We feature a diverse curriculum and award-winning faculty, in a town with a low cost of living.”   They are looking for an Assistant Professor of Mass Media.”  NOTE:  if you are interested in this position email me and I’ll send you the complete description.    Also, more information on the program is available at http://www.valdosta.edu/colleges/arts/communication-arts/mass-media/.  Online application is required.

Not sure if I’ll get another Warren Report out over the holidays, so want to wish everyone a magical season!  If you have something to share, I’ll be doing email so send it on.

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – December 14, 2017

Love and the Dozens (MFA D1 2016 Cole Goslee) was selected for screening at the Experimental Edge Film & Art Festival in Tallahassee, December 8-9. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.ceffnetwork.org/.

Falling for You (MFA D1 2016 Laura Johnson) was selected for screening at the Atlanta Comedy Film Festival in Marietta, Georgia on December 11 and nominated for Best Micro Short, Best Actress and Best Dark Comedy. For more information about this festival, go to www.atlantacomedyfilmfestival.net<http://www.atlantacomedyfilmfestival.net/>.

Mall Claus (MFA D2 2017 Kaleigh Spencer) was selected for screening at the Festive Film Fest in Portland, Oregon on December 17. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/FestiveFilmFestival/.

The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) was selected for screening at the Nevermore Film Festival in Durham, North Carolina, February 23-25. For more information about this festival, go to www.carolinatheatre.org/nevermore<http://www.carolinatheatre.org/nevermore>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) will not be screening but will receive an Award of Excellence at the Canada Shorts film festival in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada on December 9. For more information about this festival, go to http://canadashorts.com<http://canadashorts.com/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at the London International Filmmaker Festival, February 10-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmfestinternational.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.filmfestinternational.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=xIpHzcuwX3JVa7Cos0-8rp9kWVUsRgJBtEEOHh36rPc&m=zh_oWuwIC0P6u9yoKQHw5QArzLuj59_fRPsooX8dNFc&s=tP-Mq0ZLkSkRaDomuLIivuVPZRa_p4YL2VQPbSNEnwo&e=>.

The Wednesday Sessions (BFA F3 2017 Erin Smyth), Meat (BFA F3 2017 Vishesh Pires), Tate’s (BFA Documentary 2017 Nicole Low), Thump (BFA F3 2017 Benjamin Roth), Caretaker (MFA Thesis 2016 Christopher Nold), and The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) were selected for screening at the Pensacon Short Film Festival in Pensacola, February 23-25. For more information about this festival, go to http://pensacon.com/events/short-film-festival/.

Today and Tomorrow and the Day After That (MFA D2 2017 Samuel Bellamy) was selected for screening at the Pride Film Festival in Chicago, IL, October 10 –
January 9. For more information about this festival, go to, http://pridefilmsandplays.com<http://pridefilmsandplays.com/>.

Can’t Without You (MFA D2 2017 Yingli Cheng) was accepted for screening in the December monthly edition of Mindie, the Miami Independent Film Festival. For more information about this festival, go to http://miamindiefest.com<http://miamindiefest.com/>.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) was selected for screening at the Sci-Fi Underground FilmFest in Miami, December 3 – January 31. For more information about this festival, go to http://undergroundfilmfest.tv/.

Remember Owen (MFA Thesis 2017 Nikki Lee/Rika Bhakta) was selected for screening at the Culver City Film Festival, December 3-17. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/culvercityff/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_culvercityff_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=xIpHzcuwX3JVa7Cos0-8rp9kWVUsRgJBtEEOHh36rPc&m=zEKIyyNM-6lIQypeLVDDSCru3bS75Hw5NT48CSuLCDw&s=KbC0YjpYH_ztwGr77M2VZZoquIiqnAZZKRUBIDQil1g&e=>.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) was selected for screening at the Culver City Film Festival, December 3-17. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/culvercityff/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_culvercityff_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=xIpHzcuwX3JVa7Cos0-8rp9kWVUsRgJBtEEOHh36rPc&m=zEKIyyNM-6lIQypeLVDDSCru3bS75Hw5NT48CSuLCDw&s=KbC0YjpYH_ztwGr77M2VZZoquIiqnAZZKRUBIDQil1g&e=>.

Till Death (MFA D2 2016 Molly Roland) was selected for screening at the Silver Screen for Short Films film festival in Clearwater, Florida on January 10, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.silverscreenforshortfilms.com/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Short of April at the Gold Movie Awards in London, January 11, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.goldmovieawards.com<http://www.goldmovieawards.com/>.

The Wednesday Sessions (BFA F3 2017 Erin Smyth) and Caretaker (MFA Thesis 2017 Christopher Nold) were selected for screening at the Flagler Film Festival in Palm Coast, Florida, January 12-14. For more information about this festival, go to http://flaglerfilmfestival.com<http://flaglerfilmfestival.com/>.

A Body of Art (BFA Documentary 2017 Millicent Jenkins) was selected for screening at the Southern Sunset Undergraduate Film Festival in Carrollton, Georgia, January 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/SSUFF.

Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) was selected for screening at the Miami Beach Film Festival, January 13-15, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.miamibeachfilmfest.com<https://www.miamibeachfilmfest.com/>.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena), Reunion (BFA Documentary 2017 Brady Holcomb), A Trail Forward (BFA Documentary 2017 William Harrison), Sculpting Tradition (BFA Documentary 2017 Savannah Berube), You See ‘Em (BFA Documentary 2017 Emma Landeche), Lady Plum (BFA F3 2017 Grayson Goga), Cycle (BFA F3 2017 Erik Kallin) and Glory Days (BFA F3 2017 Terry Beck) were selected for screening at the Southern Sunset Undergraduate Film Festival in Carrollton, Georgia, January 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/SSUFF.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the Denton Black Film Festival in Denton, Texas, January 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://dentonbff.com/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Woman Filmmaker, and Ms. Omniscience (MFA D2 2017 Xiao Ma) and The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien are Semi-Finalists and official selections at the Hollywood International Moving Pictures Film Festival in Los Angeles, CA, January 27, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.himpff.com<http://www.himpff.com/>.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the San Diego Black Film Festival, January 31 – February 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.sdbff.com<http://www.sdbff.com/>.

The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) and You See ‘Em (BFA Documentary 2017 Emma Landeche) were selected for screening at the Oxford Film Festival in Oxford, Mississippi, February 7-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.oxfordarts.com.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) was selected for screening at the Around International Film Festival in Barcelona, Spain, March 9, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://aroundfilms.com<http://aroundfilms.com/>.

The Stranger (MFA Thesis 2017 Katherine Oostman), Mama I Wanna March (MFA Thesis 2017 Malcolm Baity), Thump (BFA F3 2017 Ben Roth), Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart), If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) were awarded Best of Brouhaha at the Brouhaha Film & Video Showcase in Orlando, November 18-19, and will screen in a special sidebar at the Florida Film Festival, April 6-15. For more information about the Florida Film Festival, go to www.floridafilmfestival.com<http://www.floridafilmfestival.com/>

War Crimes (MFA D2 2016 Matthew Robinson) was selected for screening at Cinema Los Angeles, April 27-18, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://cinemalosangeles.com/.