[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 12.7.17

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Dec 7 14:16:18 EST 2017

From Adele Romanski (BFA 04)  “Wanted to let you know we just wrapped principal photography on IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK, with the following FSU folks having worked on the crew:
Barry Jenkins (BFA 03) - writer / director
Adele Romanski (BFA 03)- producer
James Laxton (BFA 03) - DP
Joi McMillan (BFA 03)  & Nat Sanders (BFA 02)  - editors
And of course, this is a PASTEL production, which includes our partner Mark Ceryak (BFA 03).
Additional crew were:
Paula Andrea Gonzalez-Nasser (BFA 15)  - Assistant to the Producers
Nicole Machon (BFA 15) - Production Secretary
Anthony Penczner (BFA 15) - Office Production Assistant
Ryan Brown (BFA 15)- Office Production Assistant
Melina Valdez (BFA ADA 17) - Additional Office Production Assistant
April Moore (BFA 15)- Assistant to Mr. Jenkins

From Ryan Lynch (MFA 02)  “Last night we wrapped principal photography on Glass, M Night Shyamalan’s new feature film. I came back to Philadelphia with Cinematographer Mike Gioulakis for our second Night movie. I’ve been here since early September and am itching to get back home to LA. Though when I return, it’s right back to work for a few days on Silicon Valley Season 5 and then a week on an LA shoot for Man in the High Castle before I’ll have a break for the holidays.”

Regret to share the news that Frank Patterson’s father, Frank Patterson, passed away this week.  The funeral will be held in Gonzales TX on Friday, December 22.  If you’d like to contact Frank, his FSU email is good: fpatterson at fsu.edu<mailto:fpatterson at fsu.edu> or you could send a card to his Tallahassee address: 2413 Oakdale Street, Tallahassee, FL   32308

From Sarah Merrill (BFA 15)  “Excited to announce that I’ve been selected to attend the Writers in Paradise conference next month! Along with learning from a bunch of writers I admire (Stewart O’Nan, Russell Banks, Tim Dorsey, etc.), I’m participating in a 6-day short fiction workshop with Andre Dubus III, one of my favorite authors. These past few months have been stressful, but I feel so unbelievably lucky.”

From Elizabeth Fletcher (MFA 14)  “I am currently working as a Camera Operator for CNN. I started with the company almost three years ago as a technical assistant. I've really enjoy living in Atlanta and I feel like there are a lot of opportunities here.”

Made an error of omission when I posted last week about Antonio‘s nomination for the Independent Spirit John Cassavente Award; Life and Nothing More’s lead actress, Regina Williams, was also nominated for Best Female Lead for Newcomer Discovery.

And some new Sundance info:

From Matt Clegg (BFA 11)  “Wanted to let you know a narrative short I shot called GREAT CHOICE is also gonna show at Sundance. Looking forward to seeing all the FSU film folk representing out there!”

From Chris Bryant (BFA 05)  “I’m living in the DC area and am working as a technician setting lights, sound and video in large conferences around the country .”

From Carissa Dorson (BFA 11)  “This past month I was the DP for the Women in Comedy workshop organized by WhoHaHa and YouTube Space LA, and I shot over ten different female-directed projects.  Nicola Newton (BFA 15) and Erica Chan (MFA 15) were both on my camera team.  Cassie Keet (an FSU theater school alum) is also directing one of the projects.  In addition, I shot two short films over the weekends, for my friends Michele Santoro and Rosie Kaller--both first time directors.   It's been a busy and really rewarding month!”

From Adam Schlacter (BFA  97)  “An invitation to "A Night Of Puerto Rican Films" on Tuesday, December 12, from 7:30 P.M. to 9:30 P.M. at the Soho Beach House, (in Miami)  FREE RSVP! Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria left me with a bout of depression. Unable to help those in dire straits, this spawned the idea to create a benefit screening to bring attention to charities that are not abandoning the island simply because the hurricanes are yesterday's news. If you are an existing member of the Soho House, all you need to do is show up to the screening. If you are not an existing member, please RSVP no later than Noon on December 10: adimafilm at hotmail.com<mailto:adimafilm at hotmail.com>.  Among other films will be 3 by Film School alums:

“Career Day” (Written & Directed By Ivette Garcia Davila (MFA 03) Tenacious eight-year-old Marco Casanova secretly follows his mother one night to complete his Career Day essay.
“My Backyard Was A Mountain” (Written & Directed By Adam Schlachter (BFA 97) Adan, a Puerto Rican boy, learns about love and loss when he must find a home for his goat, Chivo, before his family relocates to New York City in the 1950’s.
“Portrait Of An American Woman” (Written & Directed By Julia A. Friedman (BFA 14) A girl with low expectations attempts to have a successful day, but cannot part with her routine.
“Vejigante” (Cinematography & Edited By Omar Torres (BFA 14) A vejigante is a folkloric character in Puerto Rican carnivals.

Donations can be made to these Recommended Organizations Helping With The Recovery:
The Empire State Relief & Recovery Effort & The Red Cross
Hurricane Maria Community Recovery Fund (mariafund.org<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmariafund.org%2F&h=ATM9FE56iy6_M2mohy5kQMaJiAc_UwCWnizy1d5qqdYVeVYfll5K-Nlnrbq53cl2uroWdngPZU9dp6WNm_zNw-WhDzsIWSndhI0BFGWbN1Aaq2Wu-SrBNYDpwKJAQozowSeFsdbG7zlELADXo75WW4IOHdwL5kxM6S7j9uTzwk6erA7qlLlT>)
ISER Caribe Emergency Relief Effort (isercaribe.org<http://isercaribe.org/>)
CDEMA Emergency Assistance Fund (cdema.org<http://cdema.org/>)
For more information go to:   https://www.facebook.com/events/177376069666999/

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – December 7, 2017

Remember Owen (MFA Thesis 2017 Nikki Lee/Rika Bhakta) was selected for screening at the Culver City Film Festival, December 3-17. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/culvercityff/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_culvercityff_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=xIpHzcuwX3JVa7Cos0-8rp9kWVUsRgJBtEEOHh36rPc&m=zEKIyyNM-6lIQypeLVDDSCru3bS75Hw5NT48CSuLCDw&s=KbC0YjpYH_ztwGr77M2VZZoquIiqnAZZKRUBIDQil1g&e=>.

Can’t Without You (MFA D2 2017 Yingli Cheng) was accepted for screening in the December monthly edition of Mindie, the Miami Independent Film Festival. For more information about this festival, go to http://miamindiefest.com<http://miamindiefest.com/>.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien), Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen), In Motion (BFA F1 2016 Raymond Knudsen), and Falling for You (MFA D1 2016 Laura Johnson) were selected for screening at the Experimental Edge Film & Art Festival in Tallahassee, December 8-9. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.ceffnetwork.org/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) won an Award of Recognition in the Documentary Student Short category at the Hollywood International Independent Documentary Film Awards in November. For more information about this festival, go to, http://hiida.com/index.html.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) won Best Mini Doc in the Philip K. Dick European Science Fiction Film Festival in Lille, France and Cologne, Germany, October 27 – November 3. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.philipkdickfilmfestival-europe.com<http://www.philipkdickfilmfestival-europe.com/>.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was awarded Best Documentary Short at the November installment of the Los Angeles Film Awards. For more information about this competition, go to, https://www.lafilmawards.net<https://www.lafilmawards.net/>.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the Denton Black Film Festival in Denton, Texas, January 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://dentonbff.com/.

Today and Tomorrow and the Day After That (MFA D2 2017 Samuel Bellamy) was selected for screening at the Pride Film Festival in Chicago, IL, October 10 –
January 9. For more information about this festival, go to, http://pridefilmsandplays.com<http://pridefilmsandplays.com/>.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) was selected for screening at the Sci-Fi Underground FilmFest in Miami, December 3 – January 31. For more information about this festival, go to http://undergroundfilmfest.tv/.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) was selected for screening at the San Jose International Short Film Festival, December 7-10. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.sjsff.com<http://www.sjsff.com/>.

Falling for You (MFA D1 2016 Laura Johnson) was selected for screening at the Atlanta Comedy Film Festival in Marietta, Georgia on December 11. For more information about this festival, go to www.atlantacomedyfilmfestival.net<http://www.atlantacomedyfilmfestival.net/>.

Thank You for the Music (MFA Thesis 2015 Spencer Frankeberger) was selected for screening at the US Hollywood International Golden Film Festival, December 12. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.higfa.com<http://www.higfa.com/>.

Thank You for the Music (MFA Thesis 2015 Spencer Frankeberger) was selected for screening at the US Hollywood International Golden Film Award in Burbank on December 13. For more information about this competition, go to www.usgfa.com<http://www.usgfa.com/>.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) was selected for screening and will be awarded Best Cinematography at the Canada Shorts film festival in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada on December 9. For more information about this festival, go to http://canadashorts.com<http://canadashorts.com/>.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) was selected for screening at the Culver City Film Festival, December 3-17. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/culvercityff/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_culvercityff_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=xIpHzcuwX3JVa7Cos0-8rp9kWVUsRgJBtEEOHh36rPc&m=zEKIyyNM-6lIQypeLVDDSCru3bS75Hw5NT48CSuLCDw&s=KbC0YjpYH_ztwGr77M2VZZoquIiqnAZZKRUBIDQil1g&e=>.

Thank You for the Music (MFA Thesis 2015 Spencer Frankeberger) was selected for screening at the US Hollywood International Golden Film Award in Hollywood on December 12. For more information about this festival, go to http://higfa.com<http://higfa.com/>.

Till Death (MFA D2 2016 Molly Roland) was selected for screening at the Silver Screen for Short Films film festival in Clearwater, Florida on January 10, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.silverscreenforshortfilms.com/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Short of April at the Gold Movie Awards in London, January 11, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.goldmovieawards.com<http://www.goldmovieawards.com/>.

The Wednesday Sessions (BFA F3 2017 Erin Smyth) and Caretaker (MFA Thesis 2017 Christopher Nold) were selected for screening at the Flagler Film Festival in Palm Coast, Florida, January 12-14. For more information about this festival, go to http://flaglerfilmfestival.com<http://flaglerfilmfestival.com/>.

A Body of Art (BFA Documentary 2017 Millicent Jenkins) was selected for screening at the Southern Sunset Undergraduate Film Festival in Carrollton, Georgia, January 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/SSUFF.

Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) was selected for screening at the Miami Beach Film Festival, January 13-15, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.miamibeachfilmfest.com<https://www.miamibeachfilmfest.com/>.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena), Reunion (BFA Documentary 2017 Brady Holcomb), A Trail Forward (BFA Documentary 2017 William Harrison), Sculpting Tradition (BFA Documentary 2017 Savannah Berube), You See ‘Em (BFA Documentary 2017 Emma Landeche), Lady Plum (BFA F3 2017 Grayson Goga), Cycle (BFA F3 2017 Erik Kallin) and Glory Days (BFA F3 2017 Terry Beck) were selected for screening at the Southern Sunset Undergraduate Film Festival in Carrollton, Georgia, January 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/SSUFF.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Woman Filmmaker, and Ms. Omniscience (MFA D2 2017 Xiao Ma) and The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien are Semi-Finalists and official selections at the Hollywood International Moving Pictures Film Festival in Los Angeles, CA, January 27, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.himpff.com<http://www.himpff.com/>.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the San Diego Black Film Festival, January 31 – February 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.sdbff.com<http://www.sdbff.com/>.

The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) and You See ‘Em (BFA Documentary 2017 Emma Landeche) were selected for screening at the Oxford Film Festival in Oxford, Mississippi, February 7-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.oxfordarts.com.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) was selected for screening at the Around International Film Festival in Barcelona, Spain, March 9, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://aroundfilms.com<http://aroundfilms.com/>.

The Stranger (MFA Thesis 2017 Katherine Oostman), Mama I Wanna March (MFA Thesis 2017 Malcolm Baity), Thump (BFA F3 2017 Ben Roth), Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart), If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) were awarded Best of Brouhaha at the Brouhaha Film & Video Showcase in Orlando, November 18-19, and will screen in a special sidebar at the Florida Film Festival, April 6-15. For more information about the Florida Film Festival, go to www.floridafilmfestival.com<http://www.floridafilmfestival.com/>

War Crimes (MFA D2 2016 Matthew Robinson) was selected for screening at Cinema Los Angeles, April 27-18, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://cinemalosangeles.com/.