[Film-bfad2] [Film-bfad] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 8.25.17

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Fri Aug 25 14:18:11 EDT 2017

FSU College of Motion Picture Arts NYC Film Forum, "Hollywood Disruptors." The FSU College of Motion Picture Arts Dean's Alumni Council - NYC Region hosts this year's film forum at the beautiful WeWork space located in the Financial District of downtown Manhattan on the 27th floor. Forums are coordinated by members of our Alumni Council on both coasts (LA/NYC/ATL) to create ongoing support and networking opportunities for our alumni in these regions. We invite professionals from a wide range or areas in the industry to speak on their expertise, topics of interest, and trends and to share personal experiences as filmmakers. Film School BFA 12 alum Christina Campagnola of the APA Talent and Literary Agency will moderate this open discussion with special guests from Vice Network. There will be a reception and open opportunity to meet our panelists as well as network with other Film School alumni and attending industry guests from the New York area. This event is free and open to the public but requires an RSVP. Doors open at 6:30 pm. SEATING IS LIMITED!
Where: 85 Broad Street 27th Floor, New York, NY 10004
When Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 6:30 PM
Register at:   https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fsu-college-of-motion-picture-arts-nyc-film-forum-tickets-37317961026

From Brenda Mills:  “I’ll be attending the BronzeLens Film Festival in Atlanta this weekend because they invited me to come up and receive their Founders Award for being a good partner to the festival and sending them such outstanding student work year after year. http://bronzelens.com/bronzelens-awards-show-2017/”   Congratulations Brenda – well deserved!

Antonio Mendez’s (Directing Faculty at the Film School) film Life and nothing more will premiere in Toronto, on September 9th, and will then play in San Sebastian, Spain on September 28th.  From Antonio:  I am very happy that quite a number of students had key positions the film, and I hope they will all be proud: Jeremiah Bodner (1st AD and pre-production), Santiago Oviedo( editor, grip and pre-production), Ivo Huahua (Production Manager and casting director), Mary Jeanes (Production Manager and pre-production) all MFA 16) , Gary Wilkerson Jr (2nd AD) (MFA 15), Saad Nawad, (DIT) (MFA 15)  Joel Black (DIT) (MFA 14). April Moore, Ryan Brown and Paula Gonzalez Nasser  (all BFA 15) were key in the early stages of pre-production. Of our recently graduated  students (MFA 17) , Jake Maturen (assistant editor) and Janeen Talbot (set dresser for the last chapter of the film), and we had some day players for the Grip department in Yi Tao, Layne Inselman, and Molly Roland for art. Thank so much everyone for all their support.  Here is a preview of the trailer:  http://theplaylist.net/tiff-exclusive-trailer-life-and-nothing-more-faces-the-future-20170824/

From Arturo Yepez (MFA 07)  “Very happy to inform that We will start principal photography of the new film I am producing "Sumergible", in a week from now. The Cinematographer of the film is Daniel Avilés (MFA 2009). We will be working in a studio in Quito-Ecuador during 3 weeks.”

From Betsy Serral (BFA 14)  “I just moved to Nashville earlier this week.  I'm excited to be here - it's a great city!  I am currently working as an editor for NC2 Media (which owns Lonely Planet, and several other companies.) We're working on a series called The Adventurists, which, to me, feels like a mix between Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown and The Amazing Race. It's fun. I also start as an Audience Coordinator next week on the new, Nashville-based talk show Pickler&Ben.  It's produced by ‪Faith Hill<x-apple-data-detectors://0/>, with ‪Kellie Pickler<x-apple-data-detectors://1/> and Ben Aaron as hosts. It will debut nationally ‪September 18th.<x-apple-data-detectors://2/> “

From Jonas Schubach (MFA 2) “my film, “Heavens” (my thesis film at the University of Memphis) was selected by “Curtas do Acaso”, a festival in Lisbon, Portugal. It will be screened next Friday in the old town of Lisbon.”

Great article in American Cinema Editors on Brandi Bradburn Holland (MFA  99).  You can’t read it on line; would have to have a subscription:   https://americancinemaeditors.org/ce-subscribe/  Brandi adds:   My former assistant on This Is Us (and former student) Adrienne McNally (BFA 04) has been bumped up and is now an editor on Runaways for Marvel on the CW.  As for me, it was a tough decision, but I decided to leave This Is Us for the pilot I edited last spring, Dynasty. I will be editing, but also directing which definitely made the decision easier.  Dan (Holland, former Film School editing faculty)  is still killing it on Riverdale which won a whole slew of Teen Choice awards last week.”

From Colin Duffy (BFA  08)  “After several years of non-stop ad work, I've been taking the past year and a half or so to work on directing more music videos and creative content, while just day-playing as an AD. It was just too exhausting to try to push my directing career forward while working 80-100 hrs a week. It's been a slow process, but feels like progress is being made. Recently, I produced/directed/edited two videos for the band Superfruit (Sexy Ladies and Worth It), and both are nearing the million-view-mark on YouTube. Would love to keep growing in the music video space, but am also spending more time these days working on ways to get into commercials and narrative. Check out my work at colinhduffy.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__colinhduffy.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=QgvPwV0T2Di0_pMwPxFt91L8co5SbGv-nS-d-ysTNpk&s=_Xtpf9C9STkWdfnL4mZc0Cy6QWN7o_Sfp1fwk3GNbdE&e=> if you're so inclined!”

“My name is Brett Bailey.  I am a rising junior at West Chester University of Pennsylvania pursuing a career in film composition, searching for student directors to collaborate with.  If there are any student projects you know about that need original film music, I would be very happy and willing to work with those individuals.  I have a website (http://www.brettbaileymusic.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.brettbaileymusic.com_&d=DwMFAw&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=uR4B9UKHdam0bMVVQbZQUuiifFY6pE6bfUa8jLDpTRU&m=QY5a9AIJMyO9Z_Db4KB6hwfjKBP7wISaM2g3ZHbTVZc&s=zPCSK1frmq4ojWz_C9AKBGgGwzP7-ocLiP3g3cAhX4U&e=>), a Soundcloud account (http://www.soundcloud.com/brett-bailey-21<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.soundcloud.com_brett-2Dbailey-2D21&d=DwMFAw&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=uR4B9UKHdam0bMVVQbZQUuiifFY6pE6bfUa8jLDpTRU&m=QY5a9AIJMyO9Z_Db4KB6hwfjKBP7wISaM2g3ZHbTVZc&s=CvmrN0X_c3ed8hsOScMmkSn0FyIfPqYbwgWMl3IgUok&e=>), and a Vimeo page (https://vimeo.com/brettbaileymusic<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__vimeo.com_brettbaileymusic&d=DwMFAw&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=uR4B9UKHdam0bMVVQbZQUuiifFY6pE6bfUa8jLDpTRU&m=QY5a9AIJMyO9Z_Db4KB6hwfjKBP7wISaM2g3ZHbTVZc&s=8IcnppW3f-sW4x_Lr1wHjdweKDvhJPw-WWVNrsMYpD4&e=>)  as a reference for previous work I have completed. I would love to have the opportunity to work with your film students while developing professional and productive relationships!”

From Nicholas Economides (MFA 09)  “Open call for a trailer editor on a ultra low budget indie horror-comedy. Looking for an editor who can turn around a 2:30 trailer by Oct 1st. Rough cut of film would be delivered beginning Sep. Flat payment of $1500. Must have own edit station. If interested, send email with previous work/editing reel to producer: chrispeuler at gmail.com<mailto:chrispeuler at gmail.com>

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – August 24, 2017

Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar) and The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) were selected for screening at the Tampa Bay International Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, October 6-14. For more information about this festival, go to, https://tiglff.com.

Nuggets (BFA Thesis 2016 Jamie Cernich) was selected for screening at the Catalina Film Festival in Los Angeles, CA, September 27 – October 1. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.catalinafilm.org/.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen), Best Benefits and Uses for Peanut Oil, Vol 1 (BFA F1 2016 Cristy Trabada), and Ruckzuck (BFA Documentary 2017 Jacqueline Xerri) were selected for screening at the Melbourne Independent Filmmakers Festival in Melbourne, FL, October 20-21. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.melbournefilmfest.com.

Murky Water (MFA Thesis 2016 Carl Rogers) was selected for screening at The Halloween Horror Picture Show in Tampa, FL, September 30 – October 1. For more information about this festival, go to, http://thehalloweenhorrorpictureshow.com<http://thehalloweenhorrorpictureshow.com/>.

The Koi (MFA Thesis 2016 Qiyu Zhou) was selected for screening at the Action on Film Festival in Las Vegas, NV, August 16-26. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.actiononfilmfest.com/.

Heavy Weight (MFA Thesis 2016 Jennifer Silver/Alex White), Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Alexandrina Andre), Spin Cycle (MFA D2 2016 Janeen Talbott), Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity), In Motion (BFA F1 2016 Raymond Knudsen), The Voice from the Page (MFA Thesis 2016 Andrea Branch), and Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) were selected for screening at the BronzeLens Film Festival in Atlanta, GA, August 16-20. For more information about this festival, go to, http://bronzelens.com.

Beta Test (BFA F3 2016 Gabe Souza), Wildfire (BFA Thesis 2016 Collin Lockett), Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu), Karman (BFA Thesis 2016 Austin Baur), TylerCam (BFA F1 2016 Jacqueline Xerri), Calvin Young’s Finest Hour (MFA D2 2016 Nathan Westenhaver), The Brothers Chaps (BFA Documentary 2016 Austin Tyler/Lauren Chiota), Lola the Great (BFA Thesis 2015 Lydia Dullinger) were selected for screening at the Gen Con Indy Film Festival in Indianapolis, August 17-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.gencon.com<http://www.gencon.com/>.

Till Death (MFA D2 2016 Molly Roland) was selected as a semi-finalist at the Atlanta Underground Film Festival, August 18-20. For more information about the festival, go to, http://www.auff.org/home.html.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen at FrightFest in London, August 24-28. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.frightfest.co.uk/.

Flying High (BFA FD3 2015 Christian Klein) was selected for screening at the IndieWise Virtual Film Festival, August 25-27. For more information about this festival, go to http://convention.getindiewise.com.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles Independent Film Festival Awards, August 26. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.laiffawards.com<http://www.laiffawards.com/>.

Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) was selected for screening at the Hope Film Awards in Las Vegas, NV, September 2017. For more information about the festival, go to, https://sites.google.com/view/hope-film-awards/home?authuser=5.

Radial (BFA F3 2016 Mary Kate Broadway), Chocolate Lava Cake (MFA D1 2016 Xiao Ma), In Motion (BFA F1 2016 Raymond Knudsen), Dad in a Box (MFA D2 2016 Bethany Miller), TylerCam (BFA F1 2016 Jacqueline Xerri), Falling for You (MFA D1 2016 Laura Johnson), Spooky Breakup (MFA D1 2016 Jonpaul Rodriguez), Love and the Dozens (MFA D1 2016 Cole Goslee), Battle of the Brides (MFA Thesis 2016 Phillip Thomas), and Love is Blind (MFA D1 2016 Jonas Schubach) were selected for screening in the Central Florida Film Festival, Orlando, FL, September 1-3. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/>.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) and Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) were selected for screening at the Urban Film Festival in Miami, FL, September 1-3. For more information about this festival, go to, http://urbanfilmfestivals.com<http://urbanfilmfestivals.com/>.

TylerCam (BFA F1 2016 Jacqueline Xerri) and Till Death (MFA D2 2016 Molly Roland) were selected for screening at Dragon Con Independent Short Film Festival in Atlanta, GA, September 1-4. For more information about this festival, go to, www.filmfest.dragoncon.org<http://www.filmfest.dragoncon.org/>.

Georgia to Maine (BFA Documentary 2016 Reid Lauff/Parker McBain) was selected for screening at the Maine Outdoor Film Festival in Portland, Maine, September 2 – October 7. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.maineoutdoorfilmfestival.com/.

Shark Attack (BFA Thesis 2016 Victoria Cragg/Grace Colley) and Blasted (BFA Thesis 2016 Christian Klein) were selected for screening at the Burbank International Film Festival, September 6-10. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.burbankfilmfest.org<http://www.burbankfilmfest.org/>.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Skyline Indie Film Fest in Winchester, VA, September 7-10. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.skylineindiefilmfest.org/.

Till Death (MFA D2 2016 Molly Roland) was selected for screening at FilmQuest in Provo, Utah, September 8-16. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.filmquestfest.com<http://www.filmquestfest.com/>.

The Wednesday Sessions (BFA F3 2017 Erin Smyth) was selected for screening at the HorrorHound Weekend Film Festival in Indianapolis, IN, September 8-10. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.horrorhoundweekend.com/.

Stutter (MFA Thesis 2016 Ivo Huahua) was selected for screening at AbilityFest 2017 in Chennai, India, September 11-14. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.abilityfoundation.org/ability_fest.html.

Meat (BFA F3 2016 Vishesh Pires) was selected for screening at STAMPED: Pensacola LGBT Film Festival, September 14-16. For more information about this festival, go to, http://stampedfilmfest.com/.

Falcons! (MFA D2 2016 Carolina Garrigo) and Sure-Fire (MFA Thesis 2016 Allison Izzo) were selected for screening at the Austin Revolution Film Festival in Austin, TX, September 19-23. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.austinrevolution.com/default.aspx.

Iris (MFA D2 2016 Nikki Lee), Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) and Devil’s Luck (MFA D2 2016 Rob Eaton) were selected for screening at the Rendezvous Film Festival on Amelia Island, September 21-23. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.rendezvousfestival.org/.

Deadmeat (BFA Thesis 2017 Drew Mazzarella/Sabrina Grimes) was selected for screening at the Women in Horror Film Festival in Atlanta, GA, September 22-24. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.wihff.com<http://www.wihff.com/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) is an official selection of the European Independent Film Award, an online competition to be held September 30. For more information about this competition, go to www.theeifa.com.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the Baltimore International Black Film Festival, October 4-9. For more information about this festival, go to, http://bibff.com/.

My Josephine (BFA F3 2003 Barry Jenkins) was invited to screen at the Mill Valley Film Festival in San Rafael, CA, October 5-15 as part of a special retrospective. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.mvff.com<http://www.mvff.com/>.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the International Black Film Festival in Nashville, TN, October 5-8. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.ibffevents.com<https://www.ibffevents.com/>.

You See ‘Em (BFA Documentary 2016 Emma Landeche) was selected for screening at the New Orleans Film Festival, October 11-19. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.neworleansfilmfestival.org<http://www.neworleansfilmfestival.org/>.

Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) was selected for screening at the Way Down Film Festival in Columbus, GA, October 13-14. For more information on this festival, go to, http://www.waydownfilmfest.com.

Georgia to Maine (BFA Documentary 2016 Reid Lauff/Parker McBain) was selected for screening at the Travel FilmFest International Film Festival in Limassol, Cyprus, October 19-22. For more information about this festival, go to http://travelfilmfest.com/

Sanctuary (BFA Documentary 2015 Grace Marrero) was selected for screening at the Wildlife Conservation Film Festival in New York City, October 19-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.wcff.org<http://www.wcff.org/>.

Tate’s (BFA Documentary 2016 Nicole Low) was selected for screening at the Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival, November 3-19. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.fliff.com.

Till Death (MFA D2 2016 Molly Roland) was selected for screening at the Silver Screen for Short Films film festival in Clearwater, Florida on January 10, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.silverscreenforshortfilms.com/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Short of April at the Gold Movie Awards in London, January 11, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.goldmovieawards.com<http://www.goldmovieawards.com/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Woman Filmmaker at the Hollywood International Moving Pictures Film Festival in Los Angeles, CA, January 27, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.himpff.com<http://www.himpff.com/>.

War Crimes (MFA D2 2016 Matthew Robinson) was selected for screening at Cinema Los Angeles, April 27-18, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://cinemalosangeles.com/.