[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 8.10.17

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Aug 10 14:59:48 EDT 2017

We had an amazing KeyLight festival for MFA graduation.  Huge thanks to the 7 alums who joined us this year for panels, screenings, and social events.  They were all amazing, giving so freely of their time and knowledge.  Alums joining us this year were:  Monty Greenlee (MFA 93), Jen Lai (MFA 01), Jim Lakin (BFA 01), Aaron Moorhead (BFA 08), Ryan Lynch (MFA 02), George Reasner (MFA 94), Will Sampson (BFA 09).

Several awards, funded by alumni and friends, were awarded to the graduates:

Rika Bhakta won the Chip Chalmers Mentor Award, which is a $2500 scholarship and a desk at Powerhouse Creative Space for 6 months.

Shandton Williams II won the Emerging Screenwriter Award, which is a $2500 scholarship and a guaranteed meeting with Matt Lopez.

Katherine Oostman won the Augustus B. Turnbull, II Professionalism Endowed Scholarship, which comes with a $2500 scholarship.

Yi Tao won the Strickland Pathfinder Endowed Scholarship, which comes with a $2500 scholarship.

From Nicole Enanuele (BFA 07)  “I've been working at YouTube for five years now and a few years ago we started doing Original Series and Movies. I've been on the team since day 1 and I work on our scripted projects, both series and movies, and I also look for movie acquisitions. Right now I am overseeing 3 series I developed, Step Up: Highwater w/ Exec Producers Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan Tatum and starring Ne-Yo, Naya Rivera and Faizon Love - that will come out this November. The other two will come out early next year Impulse w/ Doug Liman who directed the pilot and is a producer, and Youth and Consequences which starts shooting next week in Utah. Mark Gordon is producing, but I developed the script for it - and it's one I really like. It's been keeping me busy!”

From Christopher Bailey (BFA 04)  "My VR short film "Across" will be premiering at the Melbourne International Film festival on the 11th of August.  If anyone's in Australia - come check it out! http://miff.com.au/program/film/across shoot me an email at bailey.chrisw at gmail.com<mailto:bailey.chrisw at gmail.com> if you'll be in town!  And on a personal note, I'd love to share with the FSU family that my family just got a little bigger! I'm now a dad! Lucy Isabelle Bailey was born on the 10th of June - and she's amazing! That's all from me for now - miss you guys!"

Very sad to share this news from April Caskie Simmons who has taught editing for the Film School since the Spring of 2011.  “As most of you may have heard by now, I will not be returning to the film school this fall. My husband has taken a job in Charlotte NC and we are relocating the family there this August. It was a very sudden decision and one that was not easy to make. It has taken me too long to compose this email -- I have been procrastinating because it is very hard to leave such an amazing program and so many wonderful friends.”

Happy to share that Fred Johnson (MFA 15), following his successful run as a bachelor on the The Bachelorette, is now a talent manager at Studio71 in LA!

David Schmeling, our Film School Community Liaison, donor and actor in many of our films, is the “star” of a new commercial – you can see it at https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1I-WzGmYm1JZ2hkQzJNWUN3aEE

From Eric Bader (MFA 09)  “I had the pleasure recently of shooting this video for Fall Out Boy and reuniting with directors Mel Soria  (MFA 07) and Brendan Walter, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJJpRl2cTJc. Also a big thanks to fellow FSU alumni on my crew: gaffer Eric Clark (MFA 09) and grip Paul Tackett (MFA 15).”

From Bill Kelly, actor in many of our student films:  “I'll be Guest Starring in 2 episodes of the new Stephen King series, "Mr. Mercedes" premiering Aug 9th on Audience/DirectTV!”  NOTE:  Even though he’s getting some great TV roles, he’s still in Tallahassee and wants to get back to acting in our films!

From Joe Papa (BFA 10)  “We are honored to announce that Waiting on Mary<https://www.facebook.com/waitingonmary/?fref=mentions> will be making it's West Coast premiere at the Santa Cruz Film Festival<https://www.facebook.com/santacruzfilm/?fref=mentions>, October 11 through the 15th, 2017.  I co-produced, co-wrote, and was dir of photography. Aaron Pagniano (BFA 12) was my rockstar AC and Stephen Grum (BFA 13) was my gaffer. We just recently sold the film to a distributor, but the distributor is clearing all of our paperwork before we make the official announcement. All in all, we made the film with $30k and 14 days of straight production, and I couldn't be more proud of our crew for being so positive and focused throughout the whole strenuous marathon-like process. Looking forward to all that is yet to come from Waiting on Mary, and also looking forward to finalizing post-production on my latest co-producing project (Aaron Pagniano's beautiful 'Sunset on the River Styx').”

From Blake Taylor (BFA 06)  "Hey everyone, big news! I wrote last night's of Salvation on CBS! (ep 106) It's been a long road getting to this point, and it's kind of surreal that it's finally here. Huge thanks to everyone who helped make it happen.  Even if you missed it, you can watch all episodes of Salvation on CBS All Access or 4 days after they air on Amazon Prime for free.  Check it out, and I hope you enjoy!...Or don't. Whatever. That's cool too. It's not like this has been the culmination of a lifelong dream or anything. No pressure, really..."

“David Willis (BFA 15) , here. I am going to be relocating to Los Angeles in September. I am really excited about it. If any FSU Film School alum out there are seeking a roommate, I'd be more than happy to submit my candidacy. I don't have any pets, the most amount of people I have lived with is 7, I don't have a drum kit so you won't have to worry about practicing for the next gig late at night, and I don't have a fascination of proving the guys from Mythbusters wrong... Below is a link to my Linkedin profile and my email address. I'd be more than happy to submit references if need be.
linkedin.com/in/david-willis-37a579120<https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-willis-37a579120>
davidawillis15 at gmail.com<mailto:davidawillis15 at gmail.com> - Email

From Carrie Hunter (BFA 09)  “I'm finishing up my second summer working in NYC and was just thinking about the journey to get here.  I had a tough time finding living arrangements where I felt safe coming home from set at four in the morning.  If you're about to graduate and looking for a room, these are some places that might be available.  One of my awesome female friends/fellow PA has a room available in Brooklyn in a place that has a lot of fellow production workers.  Her name is Sam Sweet and her email is Ssweet701 at gmail.com<mailto:Ssweet701 at gmail.com>.  I would also suggest that anyone who comes here look at some of the boarding house style buildings the Catholics run.  There is the Kolping Residence in the Bronx (co-ed) and St Marys (female only) St Agnes (female only), and Jeanne D'arc residence (female only)  in the city.  I've lived in two of these places and they are a great deal for someone just starting since they are month to month and relatively cheap.  Most of them have a waiting list of a few weeks so you'll want to get on their list as soon as you figure out you want to move. “

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – August 10, 2017

Stutter (MFA Thesis 2016 Ivo Huahua) was selected for screening at AbilityFest 2017 in Chennai, India, September 11-14. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.abilityfoundation.org/ability_fest.html.

The Wednesday Sessions (BFA F3 2017 Erin Smyth) was selected for screening at the HorrorHound Weekend Film Festival in Indianapolis, IN, September 8-10. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.horrorhoundweekend.com/.

Falcons! (MFA D2 2016 Carolina Garrigo) and Sure-Fire (MFA Thesis 2016 Allison Izzo) were selected for screening at the Austin Revolution Film Festival in Austin, TX, September 19-23. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.austinrevolution.com/default.aspx.

War Crimes (MFA D2 2016 Matthew Robinson) was selected for screening at Cinema Los Angeles, April 27-18, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://cinemalosangeles.com/.

The Koi (MFA Thesis 2016 Qiyu Zhou) was selected for screening at the Burbank International Film Festival, September 6-10. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.burbankfilmfest.org<http://www.burbankfilmfest.org/>.

The Koi (MFA Thesis 2016 Qiyu Zhou) was selected for screening at the Action on Film Festival in Las Vegas, NV, August 16-26. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.actiononfilmfest.com/.

Meat (BFA F3 2016 Vishesh Pires) was selected for screening at STAMPED: Pensacola LGBT Film Festival, September 14-16. For more information about this festival, go to, http://stampedfilmfest.com/.

Heavy Weight (MFA Thesis 2016 Jennifer Silver/Alex White) was selected for screening at the BronzeLens Film Festival in Atlanta, GA, August 16-20. For more information about this festival, go to, http://bronzelens.com.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the Baltimore International Black Film Festival, October 4-9. For more information about this festival, go to, http://bibff.com/.

Isa and the Frog Prince (MFA Thesis 2015 Yingxiang Huang) was invited to screen in the 22° Festival Internacional de Cine para Niños (…y no tan Niños) in La Matatena, Mexico, August 8-13. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.lamatatena.org/el-festival-de-cine.html.

Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Drina Andre) and A Little Drama (MFA D1 Brandon Shenk) were selected for screening at the North Carolina Gay and Lesbian Film Festival in Durham, NC, August 10-13. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.carolinatheatre.org/films/festivals/ncglff.

Heavy Weight (MFA Thesis 2016 Jennifer Silver/Alex White) was selected for screening at the SoCal Clips Indie Film Festival in Los Angeles, CA, August 11-13. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.socalciff.com.

Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) was selected for screening at the Popcorn Frights Film Festival in Miami, August 11-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.popcornfrights.com<http://www.popcornfrights.com/>.

Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Alexandrina Andre), Spin Cycle (MFA D2 2016 Janeen Talbott), Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity), In Motion (BFA F1 2016 Raymond Knudsen), The Voice from the Page (MFA Thesis 2016 Andrea Branch), and Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) were selected for screening at the BronzeLens Film Festival in Atlanta, GA, August 16-20. For more information about this festival, go to, http://bronzelens.com.

Beta Test (BFA F3 2016 Gabe Souza), Wildfire (BFA Thesis 2016 Collin Lockett), Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu), Karman (BFA Thesis 2016 Austin Baur), TylerCam (BFA F1 2016 Jacqueline Xerri), Calvin Young’s Finest Hour (MFA D2 2016 Nathan Westenhaver), The Brothers Chaps (BFA Documentary 2016 Austin Tyler/Lauren Chiota), Lola the Great (BFA Thesis 2015 Lydia Dullinger) were selected for screening at the Gen Con Indy Film Festival in Indianapolis, August 17-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.gencon.com<http://www.gencon.com/>.

Till Death (MFA D2 2016 Molly Roland) was selected as a semi-finalist at the Atlanta Underground Film Festival, August 18-20. For more information about the festival, go to, http://www.auff.org/home.html.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen at FrightFest in London, August 24-28. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.frightfest.co.uk/.

Flying High (BFA FD3 2015 Christian Klein) was selected for screening at the IndieWise Virtual Film Festival, August 25-27. For more information about this festival, go to http://convention.getindiewise.com.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles Independent Film Festival Awards, August 26. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.laiffawards.com<http://www.laiffawards.com/>.

Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) was selected for screening at the Hope Film Awards in Las Vegas, NV, September 2017. For more information about the festival, go to, https://sites.google.com/view/hope-film-awards/home?authuser=5.

Radial (BFA F3 2016 Mary Kate Broadway), Chocolate Lava Cake (MFA D1 2016 Xiao Ma), In Motion (BFA F1 2016 Raymond Knudsen), Dad in a Box (MFA D2 2016 Bethany Miller), TylerCam (BFA F1 2016 Jacqueline Xerri), Falling for You (MFA D1 2016 Laura Johnson), Spooky Breakup (MFA D1 2016 Jonpaul Rodriguez), Love and the Dozens (MFA D1 2016 Cole Goslee), Battle of the Brides (MFA Thesis 2016 Phillip Thomas), and Love is Blind (MFA D1 2016 Jonas Schubach) were selected for screening in the Central Florida Film Festival, Orlando, FL, September 1-3. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/>.

TylerCam (BFA F1 2016 Jacqueline Xerri) and Till Death (MFA D2 2016 Molly Roland) were selected for screening at Dragon Con Independent Short Film Festival in Atlanta, GA, September 1-4. For more information about this festival, go to, www.filmfest.dragoncon.org<http://www.filmfest.dragoncon.org/>.

Georgia to Maine (BFA Documentary 2016 Reid Lauff/Parker McBain) was selected for screening at the Maine Outdoor Film Festival in Portland, Maine, September 2 – October 7. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.maineoutdoorfilmfestival.com/.

Shark Attack (BFA Thesis 2016 Victoria Cragg/Grace Colley) and Blasted (BFA Thesis 2016 Christian Klein) were selected for screening at the Burbank International Film Festival, September 6-10. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.burbankfilmfest.org<http://www.burbankfilmfest.org/>.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Skyline Indie Film Fest in Winchester, VA, September 7-10. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.skylineindiefilmfest.org/.

Till Death (MFA D2 2016 Molly Roland) was selected for screening at FilmQuest in Provo, Utah, September 8-16. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.filmquestfest.com<http://www.filmquestfest.com/>.

Iris (MFA D2 2016 Nikki Lee), Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) and Devil’s Luck (MFA D2 2016 Rob Eaton) were selected for screening at the Rendezvous Film Festival on Amelia Island, September 21-23. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.rendezvousfestival.org/.

Deadmeat (BFA Thesis 2017 Drew Mazzarella/Sabrina Grimes) was selected for screening at the Women in Horror Film Festival in Atlanta, GA, September 22-24. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.wihff.com<http://www.wihff.com/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) is an official selection of the European Independent Film Award, an online competition to be held September 30. For more information about this competition, go to www.theeifa.com.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the International Black Film Festival in Nashville, TN, October 5-8. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.ibffevents.com<https://www.ibffevents.com/>.

You See ‘Em (BFA Documentary 2016 Emma Landeche) was selected for screening at the New Orleans Film Festival, October 11-19. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.neworleansfilmfestival.org<http://www.neworleansfilmfestival.org/>.

Georgia to Maine (BFA Documentary 2016 Reid Lauff/Parker McBain) was selected for screening at the Travel FilmFest International Film Festival in Limassol, Cyprus, October 19-22. For more information about this festival, go to http://travelfilmfest.com/

Sanctuary (BFA Documentary 2015 Grace Marrero) was selected for screening at the Wildlife Conservation Film Festival in New York City, October 19-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.wcff.org<http://www.wcff.org/>.

Tate’s (BFA Documentary 2016 Nicole Low) was selected for screening at the Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival, November 3-19. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.fliff.com.

Till Death (MFA D2 2016 Molly Roland) was selected for screening at the Silver Screen for Short Films film festival in Clearwater, Florida on January 10, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.silverscreenforshortfilms.com/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Short of April at the Gold Movie Awards in London, January 11, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.goldmovieawards.com<http://www.goldmovieawards.com/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Woman Filmmaker at the Hollywood International Moving Pictures Film Festival in Los Angeles, CA, January 27, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.himpff.com<http://www.himpff.com/>.