[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 4.27.17

Warren, Meryl mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Apr 27 14:10:40 EDT 2017

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D2BF60.0BFDBE30]

Our NY screening is just a few days away – Tuesday, May 9.   Be sure its on your calendar!

Lots of Tallahassee screenings coming up:

BFA Documentary Screening, April 28, 2 PM, Student Life Center
BFA F3 Screening, April 29, 7 PM, Student Life Center
BFA Thesis Screening, May 6, 6 PM, Student Life Center

The Documentary and F3 screenings are free and open to the public; no tickets are required. Tickets are required for the BFA Thesis Screening. Community members can inquire about obtaining tickets by contacting Emily Burgess at eburgess at film.fsu.edu<mailto:eburgess at film.fsu.edu>.  Tickets are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.  Please note there may be language or themes in some films that could be inappropriate for sensitive viewers or younger children.

From Jodie Myers (BFA 97)  “It's finally here!!! The Premiere of **LA Delivery Girls** on Go90. This new series an intimate look at the lives of 3 very different LA doulas who navigate the challenges of living on-call lifestyles to support expectant parents through the anxieties of childbirth. I'm proud to have been a part of creating this series, and I look forward to seeing the other 11 episodes in the upcoming weeks! It was an honor to work with these extraordinary doulas and the creators/producers of the show. I couldn't be happier with the results.   This is the first of 12 episodes to come, one to be released every week. Enjoy [cid:image002.png at 01D2BF60.0BFDBE30] Seen on Verizon's Go90 app and online every Wednesday thru July 5.”

Aaron Moorhead's (BFA '08) new film "The Endless" premiered at Tribeca this weekend! He and Justin Benson directed and acted in it, and you can see from the clip that they had to have an amazing crew to do it all. That crew included: Mike Felker (BFA '10), Bryn Hubbard (MFA '13), Erica Chan (MFA '15), Will Sampson (BFA '09), Paul Tackett (MFA '15), and Alexandrina Andre (MFA '16)!   http://www.indiewire.com/2017/04/the-endless-justin-benson-aaron-moorhead-tribeca-1201807785/   Tribeca ’17 Movie Review: THE ENDLESS  messes with your mind in the best way.   Read the review at
http://www.rue-morgue.com/single-post/2017/04/24/Tribeca-’17-Movie-Review-THE-ENDLESS-messes-with-your-mind-in-the-best-way

Show runner Melissa Carter Newman’s (MFA 96) new show Famous in Love scored HUGE in digital ratings.   Read the story at https://theslanted.com/2017/04/26642/pretty-little-liars-ratings-famous-in-love-ratings/

From Persephonie Rose (MFA 16)  “I am working in Television Production and Development at Paramount Pictures under the SVP of Production. We currently have over a dozen shows in various stages of production for major networks and streaming services, including: Amazon, Anonymous Content, EPIX, Hulu, NBC Digital, Netflix, Nickelodeon, TNT, TV Land, USA, and YouTube Red. Since coming to Paramount, I have worked on the Selena Gomez-produced Netflix series “13 Reasons Why,” USA’s “Shooter” starring Ryan Phillippe and Omar Epps, Nickelodeon’s “School of Rock”, TNT’s “The Alienist,” NBC Digital’s “Bajillion Dollar Propertie$”, EPIX’s “Berlin Station,” YouTube Red’s “Commanders in Chord,” and an upcoming new pilot for Netflix. I am now working on pre-production for Netflix’s “Maniac” directed by Cary Fukunaga (“Beasts of No Nation”) and starring Jonah Hill and Emma Stone, which will be filming this Summer in New York.  Creatively, I have written a pilot and I have several pitch meetings set up for this Summer. L.A. has been amazing and I absolutely love it!”

From Lauren Brinkman (BFA 12)  “Happy to share that this past year I worked as a producer's assistant on a documentary for National Geographic which just had its world premiere on opening night at Tribeca. The film is called "LA 92" and covers the civil unrest caused by the Rodney King verdict of 1992. Go see it in theaters this week or catch it on the Nat Geo Channel starting Sun April 30... and watch for my name in the credits list! It's an incredibly jarring and emotional look at LA during this time directed by the Oscar-winning directors of Undefeated (2011). You can check out the reviews here<http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-let-it-fall-la92-review-20170420-story.html> (LA Times) or here<http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/la-92-996397> (Hollywood Reporter).

From Idan Menin (BFA  12)  “I had the awesome pleasure of shooting these spots for Hyundai and the NFL. Thank you to our director John<https://www.facebook.com/wikstromj> Wikstrum (BFA 12), Producer Ian Coyne<https://www.facebook.com/ianjcoyne> and my Camera Team Aaron Pagniano<https://www.facebook.com/aaron.pagniano> (BFA 12)and Cameron Bertron<https://www.facebook.com/cwbertron> (BFA 12)  Proud to share these new spots: four profiles on some of the top prospects of the 2017 NFL Draft. These athletes and their families are amazing. We went to their hometowns and talked to their moms. Grateful we got to tell their story”   You can see the spots here:
Mike Williams - https://youtu.be/xhiVXiHY-dQ

Mitchell Trubisky - https://youtu.be/X5gkGlVx79A<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2FX5gkGlVx79A&h=ATMhvvSq0MqNCSpLkdAUtC5pB0WEHY90a9eOe97uvxTBecVMBi-yHolhH0GYvYYhj9alTepeQZejsueTRaMVQqOkhPtjivwSOyWpg304fW05-Ij4adNhcoLA15sefO4DcPVed81kYBoN6v4HveHpUA&enc=AZP9jUrF23YZ-qvidB8Q9dUdsG5lDkuhartaTAhDKn1lANWC7NlZ_8AJVUDQRcVIq_T9YEF2cMO_E4Tu_qUa2KphabAtX9LiiW42Sf6ArRIEzcwetEHwzKPZAgotKn-T5WY1zCy8wS96Zy5rB5Rhf7Gy2AkK6VbPAlqxB5mmVyyL0fLVv3uH8Jv-rlTQL8svdX0&s=1>

Haason Reddick - https://youtu.be/SJnJd_sNz3g<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2FSJnJd_sNz3g&h=ATO9hx_QfRdDBrZOqmHbKf44TFZ5z4afCm5QAiHKE64jSPlFXPONqx7_UEzCYjVtCJ_LjNdyfnJ0IQJliLJw2i-D3MBCGdFO3W0Y_fa6cPxJxQaoiuY1VjEYV7vRmizvtZ7KqqL9M5baC9TdmDJSdQ&enc=AZMprKsNhIHxYD90KbJ8JV_6N38sZq_drhyAqHi3kyzVa2vyZ078pXo1ujrSg77l810x5A4_y-MpReoCz-d_PTopbxCWQUkN-TeyNCtc2nXIyaxog1tcZ3F_uPP_rTk7mJ-7O6b8rdYvtcodyEs_gexYyxlzTnlTRsdvd0n_Zi1xXDuR3KMWCG2RBRds52tGO2s&s=1>

OJ Howard - https://youtu.be/6xbo_GgEMgU

Andres Sanchez (BFA 94)  shot Lowriders coming out May 12, which the director hopes will show a different side of Latinos in the US.   Read the article at http://ew.com/movies/2017/04/25/lowriders-ricardo-de-montreuil-preview/

Sarah Beth Shapiro MFA '06 & Stewart McAlpine '06 (married)  “The last film I edited, Flower, was the first sale at Tribeca Film Festival! Director Max Winkler consciously assembled a team of mostly female department heads to help tell this coming of age story of a 17 year old girl. Here's a cool article that talks about that and drops my name. Zoey Duetch is our magnetic lead, the film also features Adam Scott, Kathryn Hahn, & Tim Heidecker.  Here's a cool article that talks about that I contributed to:    http://www.indiewire.com/2017/04/flower-max-winkler-zoey-deutch-david-gordon-green-teenage-female-sexuality-tribeca-2017-the-orchard-1201807819/ Stewart is working as an assistant VFX editor on Game of Thrones season 7. He's enjoying a fantastic crew and the coolest footage.”

From Dee Wren (BFA  05)  is currently in production of his next feature film, Rehabilitation of the Hill. It is in conjunction with the University of Pittsburgh, where he has been teaching their first film production course, and Steeltown Entertainment Project in Pittsburgh. It takes place in Pittsburgh's Hill District.  Christina (Wren)  is also producing and starring in the film along with Harry Lennix who works on the Blacklist (with FSU Alum Megan Boone).
The feature film was a “community teaching film.” A little background on what that means. The location for the script, first commissioned by Harry Lennix, takes place in Pittsburgh’s historic Hill District (home of Billy Strayhorn, August Wilson, Lena Horne, etc). But after 1950’s when Pittsburgh took the business center of the Hill district to build a hockey arena, the community has gone done economically. As I went in to cast and crew the film, we decided to hire 100% Pittsburgh including folks from the Hill District. I did a series of workshops over 5 weeks to teach the basics of filmmaking. Then folks could crew under our keys (2nd AC, boom op, swing g&e, 2nd 2nd AD, etc) on a cycling basis to get real world experience on a movie set. We also cast as much as we could from local Hill residents and Pittsburgh actors.  It was truly a wonderful experience. Now that we are moving into post, we have found a post house that have agreed to color the film with students/hill residents learning from them what it means to color grade/sound mix.  Can’t wait to share the film in the fall!”

From Jonas Schubach (MFA 1st Year)  “My short film, “Dirty Money”, which I made in my previous program at the University of Memphis last year, has been selected by Flamingo Film Festival. It was also a finalist in the “Industry Boost Competition.”

From Josh Crute (MFA 12) - We finished another movie! It's a sci-fi short called Asteria about a painter who's been commissioned by earth to fly across the galaxy and paint the wonders of the universe. Co-produced with George Telonis (MFA 12), cinematography by Ray Langridge (MFA 12), 1st AD'd by Dustin McLean (MFA 12), and 1st AC'd by Alex Cameron (BFA 13). The movie is nearly dialogue-free, uses a mixture of practical sets and visual effects, and pays homage to the music of Gustav Holst. You can check it here at: https://vimeo.com/213701724

From Ade Bajere (MFA 09)  “Last chance to see the World Premiere of the feature film 'Then There Was You' screening as "Opening Day Film" at the San Diego Black Film Festival 2017 tomorrow @ 7:30pm! Experience the journey of this romantic drama with a touch of comedy told through the art of original music and poetry! Purchase your ticket today!!! -Poster designed by Ashleigh Beverly<https://www.facebook.com/ashleigh.beverly>
www.sdbff.com<http://www.sdbff.com/>
www.ttwymovie.com<http://www.ttwymovie.com/>

From Tamela D’Amico “Hey guys, I'm in a thing on Amazon. You can watch free on Amazon Prime but if you don't have it, you can rent it direct. Englishman in LA. Please watch on Amazon and rate and review and love us. Besides myself, Cameron Moir, Eddie Jemison, Ashley Fink and more are in this. Please feel free to share this.  Thanks. :)”

From Lee Carlisle (MFA 09)  “I wrote my first episode of network television (complete with gunfights and explosions and the whole nine)! It’s a little bit The Warriors, a little bit The Expendables, and a lotta bit NCIS: LA. Will Deeks’ past catch up with him? Will the gang be able to track down Hetty’s stolen gold? What's our illustrious trio of guest stars up to? Tune in to CBS this Sunday at 8:00 to find out!”

From Paola Ariza (MFA  13)  “Hey guys! I'm involved again with an event for screenwriters here in LA called The Great American Pitchfest... This event is a combination of panels/lectures/master classes and a pitching marathon! At this event writers get to pitch their scripts to more than 120 production companies, agents, managers, financiers, and other industry professionals seeking material to option, and writers to hire, manage, and represent. This is the event's 14th year in business. I volunteered last year and got hired on to help them record their panels... And now this year I've been hired to help lead their marketing efforts :) Yay!!! All this to say that if any of you are interested in attending, they've created a 10% discount code for me to share with groups I'm a part of, PDAWG10. Check out the site <http://scriptfest.com/home/> or reach out to me if you have any questions about the event! You can also follow us on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/GAPFGreatAmericanPitchFest/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel> for updates on who our speakers will be this year.”

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – April 27, 2017

Soleil (BFA Documentary 2016 Erik Kallin) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach Film Festival, April 26-30. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.fmbfilmfest.com/events-2017/.

Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar), A Little Drama (MFA D1 2016 Brandon Shenk), Manic Pixie Dream Grind (MFA D1 2015 Ariella Yashar), General Practice (BFA F3 2016 Drew Mazzarella), Love is Blind (MFA D1 2016 Jonas Schubach), Iris (MFA D2 2016 Nikki Lee), Sanctuary (MFA Documentary 2015 Grace Marrero), and Reversed (MFA D2 2015 Alexandrina Andre) were selected for screening at the Flamingo Film Festival in Davie, Florida on April 29. For more information about this festival, go to http://flamingofest.com<http://flamingofest.com/>.

Sanctuary (BFA Documentary 2015 Grace Marrero) was selected for screening at the Wildlife Conservation Film Festival in New York City, October 19-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.wcff.org<http://www.wcff.org/>.

Dad in a Box (MFA D2 2016 Bethany Miller), TylerCam (BFA F1 2016 Jacqueline Xerri), The Bradford Experiment (MFA D1 2016 James Leming), Spooky Breakup (MFA D1 2016 Jonpaul Rodriguez), Love and the Dozens (MFA D1 2016 Cole Goslee), Battle of the Brides (MFA Thesis 2016 Phillip Thomas), and Love is Blind (MFA D1 2016 Jonas Schubach) were selected for screening in the Central Florida Film Festival, Orlando, FL, September 1-3. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/>.

Exposure (MFA D1 2016 Mary Jeanes) was selected for screening at Dances with Films in Los Angeles, June 1-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.danceswithfilms.com<http://www.danceswithfilms.com/>.

In Motion (BFA F1 2016 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the Roxbury International Film Festival in Boston, June 21 – July 1. For more information about this festival, go to http://roxburyinternationalfilmfestival.org<http://roxburyinternationalfilmfestival.org/>.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) was selected for screening at the Deadcenter Film Festival in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, June 8-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.deadcenterfilm.org.

The Bradford Experiment (MFA D1 2016 James Leming) was selected for screening at the April edition of the Miami Independent Film Festival. For more information about this festival, go to, http://miamindiefest.com/official-selections-mindie-april-2017/.

Within Darkness (MFA D2 2015 Luis Mendez) was selected for screening at the April edition of the Miami Independent Film Festival. For more information about this festival, go to, http://miamindiefest.com/official-selections-mindie-april-2017/.

Mystery Jones! Back in Business (BFA Thesis 2015 Paul Ramsdell) was selected for screening in the spring as part of the Iron Mule Short Comedy Screening Series in New York City. For more information about this series, go to http://www.ironmulenyc.com<http://www.ironmulenyc.com/>.

Once Upon a Blood Moon (MFA D1 2015 Rob Eaton) was selected for screening at the Wasaga Film Festival in Wasaga Beach, Ontario, Canada, April 1-29. For more information about this festival, go to https://wasagafilmfest.com/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at Roma Cinema DOC in Rome, Italy, April 9-30. For more information about this festival, go to, http://roma.cinemadoc.it/category/edition.

Spin Cycle (MFA D2 2016 Neen Talbot) was selected for screening at the (In)Justice for All Film Festival in Chicago, Illinois, April 20-29, 2017. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.injusticeforallff.com<http://www.injusticeforallff.com/>.

For Will (BFA Documentary 2016 Grayson Goga/Grace Stalley), The Goat on the Roof (BFA Documentary 2016 Erin Smyth), Bad Town (BFA Thesis 2016 Daniel Smith/Victor Ingles), Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) and Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Drina Andre) were chosen as Best of Brouhaha at the Brouhaha Film & Video Showcase in Orlando, November 19-20. They will be screening in the Best of Brouhaha sidebar at the Florida Film Festival in Orlando, April 21-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.floridafilmfestival.com.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) was selected for screening at the Beverly Hills Film Festival, April 26-30. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.beverlyhillsfilmfestival.com<http://www.beverlyhillsfilmfestival.com/>.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) and The Voice from the Page (MFA Thesis 2016 Andrea Branch) were selected for screening at the San Diego Black Film Festival, April 26-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.sdbff.com.

Wish Star (MFA D2 2015 Carl Rogers) was selected for screening at the Roswell Film Festival in Roswell, New Mexico, April 26-30. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.roswellfilmfestival.com<http://www.roswellfilmfestival.com/>.

Georgia to Maine (BFA Documentary 2016 Reid Lauff/Parker McBain) was selected for screening at the Emerge Film Festival of Maine, Auburn, ME, April 27-30. For more information about this festival, go to, http://emergefilmfestival.org<http://emergefilmfestival.org/>.

Yo Miro Para Adelante (BFA Documentary 2016 Iliana Ipes) was selected for screening at the Sunscreen Film Festival, Saint Petersburg, FL, April 27-30. For more information about this festival, go to, http://sunscreenfilmfestival.com<http://sunscreenfilmfestival.com/>.

Murky Water (MFA Thesis 2016 Carl Rogers) and Still Life (BFA F1 2015 Gabriel Valbuena) were selected for screening at the National Film Festival for Talented Youth (NFFTY) in Seattle, April 27-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.nffty.org.

Into the Rain (MFA D2 2016 Layne Inselman) was selected for screening at the Twister Alley Film Festival, Woodward, OK, April 27-29. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.twisteralleyfilmfestival.com/.

Thank You for the Music (MFA Thesis 2016 Spencer Frankeberger) was selected for screening at the Maine Deaf Film Festival, Portland, ME, April 28-29. For more information about this festival, go to, http://mainedeaffilmfest.com<http://mainedeaffilmfest.com/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at the London Independent Film Awards, April 29. For more information about this festival, go to, http://lifawards.com<http://lifawards.com/>.

Chocolate Lava Cake (MFA D1 2016 Xiao Ma) and Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) were selected for screening at the 15 Minutes of Fame Film Festival in Palm Bay, FL, April 29. For more information about this festival, go to, http://etheridgeproductions.com/.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) was selected for screening at the NYC Independent Film Festival, May 2-7. For more information about this festival, go to, https://www.nycindieff.com<https://www.nycindieff.com/>.

The Goat on the Roof (BFA Documentary 2016 Erin Smyth) was invited to screen at the Cyberia Film Festival, an online film festival, May 4-7. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.cyberiavr.com/

Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Drina Andre) was selected for screening in the Los Angeles Live Score Film Festival, May 12. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.helixcollective.net/LALSFF.html.

Blasted (BFA Thesis 2016 Christian Klein) was selected for screening at the End of Days Film Festival in Orlando, FL, May 13. For more information about this festival, go to, http://endofdaysfilmfestival.com<http://endofdaysfilmfestival.com/>.

Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) was selected for screening at the End of Days Film Festival in Orlando, FL, May 13. For more information about this festival, go to, http://endofdaysfilmfestival.com<http://endofdaysfilmfestival.com/>.

Murky Water (MFA Thesis 2016 Carl Rogers) was selected for screening in the Crimson Screen Horror Film Fest in Charleston, SC, May 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.crimsonscreenfilmfest.org<http://www.crimsonscreenfilmfest.org/>.

Emma Inspired (BFA Thesis 2015 Nicole Machon) was selected for screening at the NYC Short Comedy Film Festival, May 21. For more information about this festival, go to, https://cierimedia.com/live-shows/the-2nd-annual-nyc-short-comedy-film-festival-session-1.

Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) was selected for screening at the GI Film Festival in Washington DC, May 24-28. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.gifilmfestival.com/.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the Phoenix Comicon Film Festival, May 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to, https://phoenixcomicon.com<https://phoenixcomicon.com/>.

Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) was selected for screening at the New York Sun Fest (NYSF), June 16-18. For more information about this festival, go to, http://nysunfest.weebly.com<http://nysunfest.weebly.com/>.

Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) was selected for screening at the Miami Independent Film Festival, June 23-25. For more information about this festival, go to, http://miamindiefest.com<http://miamindiefest.com/>.

Wildfire (BFA Thesis 2016 Collin Lockett) was selected for screening at the Super Geek Film Festival in Fort Lauderdale, FL, July 14-30. For more information about this festival, go to, http://floridasupercon.com/category/events/geek-film-festival/.

Still Life (BFA F1 2015 Gabriel Valbuena) was selected for competition in the Prince of Prestige Academy Awards in Winter Park, Florida on July 30. For more information about this festival, go to http://popfilmaward.com/.

Isa and the Frog Prince (MFA Thesis 2015 Yingxiang Huang) was invited to screen in the 22° Festival Internacional de Cine para Niños (…y no tan Niños) in La Matatena, Mexico, August 8-13. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.lamatatena.org/el-festival-de-cine.html.

Flying High (BFA FD3 2015 Christian Klein) was selected for screening at the IndieWise Virtual Film Festival, August 25-27. For more information about this festival, go to http://convention.getindiewise.com<http://convention.getindiewise.com/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles Independent Film Festival Awards, August 26. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.laiffawards.com<http://www.laiffawards.com/>.

Radial (BFA F3 2016 Mary Kate Broadway), Chocolate Lava Cake (MFA D1 2016 Xiao Ma) and In Motion (BFA F1 2016 Raymond Knudsen) were selected for screening in the Central Florida Film Festival, Orlando, FL, September 1-3. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/>.

Georgia to Maine (BFA Documentary 2016 Reid Lauff/Parker McBain) was selected for screening at the Travel FilmFest International Film Festival in Limassol, Cyprus, October 19-22. For more information about this festival, go to http://travelfilmfest.com/

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and awarded Best Woman Filmmaker at the Hollywood International Moving Pictures Film Festival in Los Angeles, CA, January 27, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://www.himpff.com<http://www.himpff.com/>.