[Film-bfad2] [Film-bfad] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 4.6.17

Warren, Meryl mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Apr 6 18:34:31 EDT 2017

What a wonderful week last week was!   We had a screening of student films as part of the Atlanta Film Festival on Tuesday, and an amazing Film Forum with Nat Saunders and Joi McMillon and Reb on Wednesday.  Then hurried back to TLH where Nat and Joi met with several classes on Thursday afternoon. Then Barry arrived and he, Nat and Joi joined Reb, Lindsay and I at an incredible dinner hosted at their beautiful home  by Allison Tant and Barry Richards where we raised money for the Pathfinder Scholarship (Barry Jenkins was the first recipient of that scholarship). Then on Friday we had an afternoon screening, Q&A with the 3 Moonlighters and Reb  for our students, a dinner/reception for our guests and faculty, followed by a screening for hosted by the Golden Tribe for the University community (which sold out in 2 hours) with a Q&A with Barry and Frank Patterson.   All the events, and our guests, were totally amazing!  Lots of special moments.  Weeks like this are why I have trouble thinking about retiring!

And another wonderful update.   We not only met but exceeded our goal for the Great Give, generating $8500 for the Meryl Warren Fund which sponsors alumni events!     We had 95 donations from alumni and friends (45 of those from alumni)  in the 36 hour period.   Thanks so much to all who participated.  If you missed the deadline and would still like to contribute, go to  Meryl Warren Alumni Fund<https://one.fsu.edu/foundation/donate/give-online?fid=kmpa4s44OBo%3D&fdesc=zEf6qKbaZ2xF7DPgLHXWc%2BJrl6LSr%2B25pu4F9V9KrnDPrHL90H53abHcLI6llYNGG0pR9pdaW9bPfChWvVApQiH7gt1jZ64cSP5pjxAHNyw%3D> and help assure we can continue to host receptions, lunches, dinners, screenings, etc.  for our alums.

The Film School was named one of the top ten screenwriting programs by Independent Magazine!   See the rankings at:    https://tinyurl.com/klpwy48

Amazon lands Barry Jenkins and Plan B’s Underground Railroad limited series, with Adele Romanski as producer – read the Deadline story at http://deadline.com/2017/03/amazon-the-underground-railroad-barry-jenkins-plan-b-limited-series-1202052014/

Congratulations to Terry Beck<https://www.facebook.com/TerrenceBeckerson> (BFA '18) for being the College's Humanitarian of Year! He was nominated for this honor because of his work with the Love is Greater than Hate Project (LOVE>hate). This organization has a two-fold goal: to end violence against women and to encourage all people to choose love over hate. Terry's first two films in school focused on the work of this organization. We are so proud of the work he does! #FSUFilm<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/fsufilm?source=feed_text&story_id=10209086652424899> #FSUFilmHumanitarian<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/fsufilmhumanitarian?source=feed_text&story_id=10209086652424899>

Look  for the upcoming April issue of AC, featuring production coverage on Preacher<https://www.facebook.com/PreacherAMC/> (shot by Bill Pope, ASC and John Grillo), Chicago Justice<https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoJustice/> (Lisa Wiegand, ASC), History's SIX<https://www.facebook.com/SIXonHistory/> (David Klein, ASC and Armando Salas (MFA 02) and Marvel's Iron Fist<https://www.facebook.com/MarvelsIronFist/> (Manuel Billeter).

From Sam Goodwin (BFA 14)  “So I have, as of last month, taken a director in residence position at Atlanta Media Pros, a small company up here in Atlanta. I work to help move the direction of the company towards a small studio style production model, and direct corporate/commercial content on the side to make money to finance our creative endeavors. It’s a really amazing opportunity and a chance to work, full time, with a bunch of my friends. We’re always in the market for scripts, concepts, and new filmmakers. ESPECIALLY those coming to or from Atlanta. We’re trying to cultivate more of an artistic community here and expand our own network while helping foster creative resources here in Atlanta. This company actually found me by purchasing and paying to produce a short horror film I wrote and directed. They financed the whole production, provided post resources, and are helping me to pay to submit to festivals internationally. This company has a lot to gain by supporting young filmmakers and I would love to hear from anyone thinking of moving to Atlanta.  sam.goodwin.film at gmail.com”

From Lauren Hammond (BFA ADA 16)  “I just landed my first animation gig at JibJab Bros. Studios in LA! I'm working on season 2 of their Netflix show, Ask the StoryBots - it's a really fun series for preschoolers that packs a bit of 3D, 2D, and stop-motion animation into every episode. Plus season 1 (released last year) just got nominated for 6 Daytime Emmys, so I'm super proud to be a part of the StoryBots' next chapter, and to join the team during such an exciting time for the company!

Also! They're currently on the hunt for a batch of summer interns - I'm not quite sure exactly what the job would entail, but I do know that the interns will get to work on StoryBots-related stuff. I'd love to get more FSU peeps in here, if anyone's interested please apply at http://careers.jibjab.com/apply/hodkMhdTii/JibJab-Artist-Internship

From Kieran Shea (MFA 01)  “Hey, everyone! We're very proud to announce that our short film "Borderline" has been accepted in the NewFilmmakers Los Angeles Film Festival and will be screened on Saturday, April 15, 2017, at 1139 S. Hill Street, Los Angeles 90015. We'd love to invite you all to join us and would be honored and thrilled to see anyone who can make it. You can find ticket/screening information at https://goo.gl/WRwwsW. If you simply wish to check out our screening, tickets are $5. If you want to check out the whole event, you can get an all-access pass for $15. I'll be putting out a few more notices, but if you know you can make it, it's best to get tickets sooner rather than later. Hope to see some of you there!”

From Jamie Rice (BFA 15)  “Since graduating last December, I’ve been a Set PA, Locations Assistant/Scout, and Production Secretary on awesome shows including "Difficult People”, “Search Party”, “Younger”, “The Detour”, and Spike Lee’s “She’s Gotta Have It” (he’s made it into a Netflix series!). I finished up as Nicole Holofcener’s assistant and script coordinator on her new feature “The Land of Steady Habits” a few weeks ago, then had a week-long stint in the writers room assisting Dan Gregor and Doug Mand (UCB) for their film “Most Likely to Murder”, which was the coolest gig so far - can’t beat sitting in a room frantically writing down all of Tami Sagher and Chuck Tatham’s rapid-fire punch ups! I’m looking for a new job, but really enjoying the time off to focus on writing and creating things with other alum. My friends /classmates/ex-roommates (irreconcilable differences obviously) Paula Gonzalez (BFA ’15) and Ryan Brown (BFA ’15) founded a production company!! It’s called 5th Floor Pictures (5thfloorpictures.com<http://5thfloorpictures.com/>) and we’ve been creating a ton of content that’s up on the website now! I’ve personally been producing and shooting a show under 5th Floor’s umbrella called “Jooby” created by Julian Hernandez, another FSU alum who was a founder of the improv group “No Bears Allowed”. We have two episodes up on 5th Floor’s website and on my own - jamiehrice.com<http://jamiehrice.com/>. Mana Handel (BFA ’14) edits, Julia Friedman (BFA ’14) & Nicole Machon (BFA ’15) 1st AD, Freddy Poey (BFA ’14) sound mixes, Rafi Lorie, Valerie Brooks (BFA ’14) & Chloe Lind, Laura Conte (BFA ’15) have all production designed on various episodes. We’ve shot Episodes 3 & 4 and will have them up real soon, so follow us on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/5thfloorpictures/> to get updates on when that happens! If anyone wants to collaborate, please don’t hesitate to reach out!! My email is jamiehrice at gmail.com<mailto:jamiehrice at gmail.com>. Ok bye!”

From Iman Zawahry (MFA  08)  “I am filming my feature film based off the critically acclaimed one woman play titled Dirty Paki Lingerie. It is a comedy about three American Muslim women figuring out love, life, and career all while balancing cultural expectations. It is a Bend it Like Beckham meets Love Actually. It's a SAG level film and our script was a finalist for the Sundance Writer's Lab, and we are planning on filming in July in NYC. Although we have options for producers, I am looking for a producer based in NYC and really would like to work with an FSU alum. If interested please email me at imankz at gmail.com<mailto:imankz at gmail.com> “

David Willis (BFA 2015) Hi, Everyone! David Willis (BFA 15), here. I have a plan to move from Jacksonville,Florida to Los Angeles in August. I am passionate about screenwriting and I want to make a career out of it in LA. That's were my friends are and that's where I need to be if I want to write for Film and TV. Here is a link to my website: http://davidawillisfilm.wixsite.com/writer . There you'll be able to view my writing samples, Resume, and contact me if you like what you see. I say this because I am currently in a situation where it would be unwise of me not to have a job lined up before I move out of Jacksonville. Screenwriting is something that I love and I want to collaborate with other filmmakers in order to tell the best story possible. I believe getting my Resume and writing samples out there for you all to see is a good step to take. Thank you for reading this Everyone!

From Gates Bradley (BFA 02)  “I wanted to let you know that my film White Walls Say Nothing is playing at HotDocs this year (April 27-May 7th) in Toronto. Produced and directed by myself with a fine british fellow, Jonny Robson, and shot by fellow FSU Film School alum Michael Lockridge (BFA  05), the film examines the florid street art scene in Buenos Aires and its roots in social and political activism that turned to the city’s walls to have a voice when the powers-that-be tried to silence the people.”

From Emily Mills (BFA 3)  “the props and sculptures from "The Missing Piece," my stop motion F3, is going to be showing at the "A New Kind of Muse" art show at the 621 Annex Gallery in Railroad Square during this First Friday (April 7th)! Anyone is welcome!

From Will Bigham (MFA 04)  “our girls made it to the finals (with their video)! They'll be competing with 4 other teams at the Scripps National Spelling Bee for the top spot.  Luckily they don't have to spell anything to win, or they'd be doomed.”