[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 10.27.16

Warren, Meryl mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Oct 27 14:00:22 EDT 2016

In case you haven’t already seen this, a wonderful article in the NY Times re Barry Jenkins (BFA 03) movie Moonlight:   http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/21/movies/moonlight-review.html?emc=edit_fm_20161021&nl=movies&nlid=49575371&_r=0   We are all so proud of Barry, Adele, James, Nat, Andrew and Joi!   And another great article:  http://www.ebony.com/entertainment-culture/moonlight-box-office-hit#axzz4ODNvtch3

Great article on Lauren Miller Rogan (BFA  03)   and Seth Rogan’s fight against alzheimers  in Forbes:   http://www.forbes.com/sites/nextavenue/2016/10/16/how-seth-rogen-is-getting-millennials-to-fight-alzheimers/#37caef2e2ccc<http://www.forbes.com/sites/nextavenue/2016/10/16/how-seth-rogen-is-getting-millennials-to-fight-alzheimers/%2337caef2e2ccc>

>From Chris Bailey (BFA 04)  "Things are going well down here in Melbourne Australia - I've had my first feature script optioned and I'm signed to direct late next year! (pending finance (aka bragging too early) )  The film is called "Lost in the Dark" and my script was just nominated for an Australian Writers Guild award.  We've got development funding from the government funding bodies as well which is the Aussie equivalent to getting in with the studios! (minus all the stars and money and backlots and any actual shot at paying back investors... you know, all that LA stuff...)  I've also got a Virtual Reality short film I've finished up called "Across" that will be premiering soon.  I've written a bit about it on my website here: http://www.cbaileyfilm.com/search/label/VR  so yea... I love all you USA people. Miss you heaps! I'll buy you a taco when I'm in town next."

>From Joe Hackman (BFA 12)  “A video that I edited for the Netflix Original Series "F Is For Family" was a Finalist in the Social Video category at this year's CLIO Key Art Awards. You can view the video here: https://vimeo.com/168396803
>From Jonas Schubach ( MFA 1) “- my film “Dirty Money” that I made within my MA program at the University of Memphis will be screened in the "Hometowner IndieGrant Shorts" section on Tuesday, November 1, at 8:15pm at the Halloran Centre (and again on Saturday November 5th at 12:30pm in Collierville). It had won a production grant by Indie Memphis last year.
- my U of Memphis thesis film, "Heavens" will follow on Saturday, November 5, 10:30am, at the Circuit Playhouse within the "Hometowner Rising Filmmakers" segment.
- Finally, Steve Ross’ "Vissi d'Arte" will be the final documentary on closing night, Monday, November 7, 8pm at the Halloran Centre, right after the Closing Night Reception and it will include a live performance by Memphis opera star Kallen Esperian and Gary Beard. I was the Director of Photography of this feature length documentary.”

>From Grace Colley (BFA 15)  “I'm back in the country and living in my hometown (actually at my parents' old house looking after it while they're in Germany) and actually landed a full time photography/photo editor position at an ecommerce company. One week after I started I went out to North Dakota with the team to do a shoot with one of our companies out there and their new face, Carson Wentz, who also happens to be the Philadelphia Eagle's starting quarterback! It was seriously such a cool experience and though it isn't the most ideal job (editing truck parts for the most part) the people I work with are the absolute best. I'm the only female which is an interesting dynamic, but they're so nice and welcoming and definitely have my personality type.  Since it's full time, I have weekends off (except for if I'm shooting an event) and this weekend I was able to attend the Way Down Film Festival in Columbus, GA to represent Victoria and my thesis film. It was such a cool experience and we were nominated top 3 for Best Comedy. It was awesome.”

Do you have an interest in the film industry with a heart to serve? The Hollywood Black Film Festival needs you! We are currently seeking volunteers for the 14th Annual Hollywood Black Film Festival in February 2017. We are looking for volunteers who can assist with Pre-Festival planning and/or help during the festival. Volunteering at the Hollywood Black Film Festival gives you a backstage pass into the festival, an insider look into the world of cinema and valuable business experience like Event Management. There are plenty of different areas in which to work at the Hollywood Black Film Festival.We currently are seeking Pre-Festival volunteers who can start as early as November 2016. To apply to become an HBFF Volunteer, sign up at http://www.hbff.org/volunteer-for-hbff-2017/<http://arborescens.eocampaign1.com/1313818b-fc60-4e24-a931-748b1d5fe382/310939e9-979f-11e6-90cc-06ead731d453/b393ab92-6dc3-11e6-b4a1-06ef9e0a2bd5/link-click>.
>From Luis Mendez, Jr., (MFA 16)  “Right now Im working on a show called "La Banda" for Univision television network. Its season 2, Im the Key P.A. I got a team of 10 P.A.'s. We work with every department. We have a show crew of about 150, plus the audience.  I'm in the middle of the process of starting my own production company and in development of my first feature film. Busy, busy, busy!”
> [...]
Opening Nights will hold a film screening of NUTS! by Thom Stylinski on 11/9/16 at 7:30PM at the Askew Student Life Cinema.  Mr. Stylinski is offering a lecture for students from 6:00-7:00PM, so please pass this information on to those who may be interested!  Questions can be directed to openingnights at fsu.edu<mailto:openingnights at fsu.edu> or 850-644-7670.  NUTS! is the mostly-animated, mostly-true story of John Romulus Brinkley, a small-town Kansas doctor who discovers that he can cure impotence by transplanting goat testicles into men in 1917. From there, the story only gets stranger. Using hand-drawn animated reenactments, interviews, archival footage, and a seriously unreliable narrator, NUTS! traces Brinkley’s rise from poverty and obscurity to the heights of celebrity, wealth, and influence in Depression-era America.  NOTE:  Film Students can attend both the lecture and the screening free.   Others can purchase $10 tickets at https://tickets.fsu.edu/openingnights/Online/mapSelect.asp

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – October 27, 2016

Us Thereafter (BFA Documentary 2016 Terry Beck) will be awarded Second Prize at the the Margins 16 filmfest and will screen at the Teach-In Film Fest in Arlington, Virginia on November 12. For more information about this festival, go to www.americamedia.org.

Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) was awarded Best University Film at the Laughlin Film Festival in Laughlin, Nevada, October 13-16. For more information about this festival, go to https://laughlinfilmfestival.squarespace.com/.

Bad Town (BFA Thesis 2016 Daniel Smith/Victor Ingles) was nominated for Best Acting Ensemble and Shark Attack (BFA Thesis 2016 Victoria Cragg/Grace Colley) was nominated for Best Comedy  at the inaugural Way Down Film Festival in Columbus, Georgia, October 21-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.waydownfilm.com<http://www.waydownfilm.com/>.

War Crimes (MFA D2 2016 Matthew Robinson) received an Honorable Mention from the LA Underground Film Forum to be held on November 19. For more information about this forum, go to http://www.undergroundfilmforum.org/.

Stutter (MFA Thesis 2016 Ivo Huahua) was selected for screening in January at the Festival for Family: Family Film & Writing Festival, an online festival. For more information about this festival, go to https://festivalforfamily.com/.

Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar) and Concessions (MFA D2 2016 Sam Bartz) were selected for screening at the November 9 Silver Screen for Short Films event in Saint Petersburg, Florida. For more information about this series, go to www.SilverScreenForShortFilms.com.

Oh, Christmas Tree (MFA D1 2015 Charlie Malcolm) was selected for screening at Germany's first Weihnachtsfilmfestival (Christmas Film Festival) in Berlin, December 24-26. For more information about this festival, go to weihnachtsfilmfestival.de.

Concessions (MFA D2 2016 Sam Bartz) was selected for screening at the Experimental Edge Film & Art Festival in Tallahassee, November 11-13. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.ceffnetwork.org/.

Skin Deep (BFA F3 2016 Lana McClung) and Emma Inspired (BFA Thesis 2015 Nicole Machon/Jamie Rice) were selected for screening at the Tampa Bay Underground Film Festival in Seminole, Florida, December 1-4. For more information about this festival, go to http://tbuff.org<http://tbuff.org/>.

Soleil (BFA Documentary 2016 Erik Kalin) was selected for screening at the Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival, November 4-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.fliff.com.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity), Innocence (MFA D2 2016 Charlie Malcolm), Transient (MFA D2 2016 Katherine Oostman), Scenes from a Funeral Reception (MFA Thesis 2016 Jeremiah Bodner), Till Death (MFA D2 2016 Molly Roland), Sure-Fire (MFA Thesis 2016 Allison Izzo), Acoustic Ninja (BFA Documentary 2016 Rob Bevis), You Can’t Be Too Strong (BFA Documentary 2016 Arielle Cole), From Scratch (BFA Documentary 2016 Diana Dai) were invited to screen at the Cine-World Film Festival in Sarasota, November 6-15. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.filmsociety.org<http://www.filmsociety.org/>.

Super Chef (MFA Thesis 2015 Rochelle Rose) was selected for screening at the Children’s Film Festival Seattle, January 26 – February 11. For more information about this festival, go to www.childrensfilmfestivalseattle.org<http://www.childrensfilmfestivalseattle.org/>.

Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Alexandrina Andre) was selected for screening at QCinema, Fort Worth, November 10-12. For more information about this festival, go to  http://www.qcinema.org/.

Calvin Young’s Finest Hour (MFA D2 2016 Nathan Westenhaver) and The Brothers Chaps (BFA Documentary 2015 Austin Tyler/Lauren Chiota) were selected for screening at the Super Geek Film Festival in Miami, December 9-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.geekfilmfest.com.

Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Alexandrina Andre) was selected for screening at the Queer Bits Fall Festival in Chicago on November 14. For more information about this festival, go to http://pridefilmsandplays.com/.

Nightfall (MFA Thesis 2015 Meg Scott Cain), Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) and Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar) were selected for screening at the Spooky Empire International Horror Film Festival in Orlando, which had to be rescheduled because of the hurricane. For more information about this festival and the new dates, go to www.spookyempire.com.

Isa and the Frog Prince (MFA Thesis 2015 Yingxiang Huang) was selected for screening in the North American Chinese Directors Short Film Tour, October 1 – December 30. The tour will start in New York City, go to DC, Boston, LA and SF, then go to major Chinese cities. For more information about this touring festival, go to shortfilmtour.org.

Stutter (MFA Thesis 2016 Ivo Huahua) was selected for screening in a monthly screening of the Father/Daughter Film Report’s First Thursdays Film Festival in Bastrop, Texas. For more information about this film series, go to http://www.firstthursdaysfilmfestival.com/.

Finless (BFA Documentary 2015 Gabe Souza) was invited to screen at the Portuguese Surf Film Festival in Ericeira, Europe’s world surfing reserve, sometime in the near future. For more information about this festival, go to http://portuguesesurffilmfestival.com/#ericeira.

Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) was selected for screening at the Hyperdrive Sci-Fi & Fantasy Independent Film Festival in Hailsham, England in October. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.hyperdrivefestival.com/.

With Your Crooked Heart (BFA Thesis 2014 Sam Goodwin) and Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) were selected for screening at Flickers’ Vortex Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Horror Film Festival in Providence, Rhode Island, October 17-23. For more information about this festival, go to www.rifilmfest.org<http://www.rifilmfest.org/>.

Lasting Marks (BFAD Thesis 2015 Logan Shye) and Built to Serve (BFAD Thesis 2015 Dylan Chase), Hedge Hero (BFA Thesis 2016 Lauren Hammond) and Tilted (BFA F3 2016 Zach Hoskin) were selected for screening at the MIA Animation Conference and Festival in Miami, October 21-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.miaanimation.com<http://www.miaanimation.com/>.

Patches (BFA F3 2015 Kat Barnette), About James (MFA D2 2015 Christopher Nold), The Extra Mile (BFA Documentary 2015 Courtney Ross), Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) and Hollow (BFA Thesis 2015 Kat Barnette) were selected for screening at the Orlando Film Festival, October 19-23. For more information about this festival, go to www.orlandofilmfest.com<http://www.orlandofilmfest.com/>.

Heavy Weight (MFA Thesis 2016 Jennifer Silver/Alex White), The Voice from the Page (MFA Thesis 2016 Andrea Branch), Stutter (MFA Thesis 2016 Ivo Huahua), Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity), Spin Cycle (MFA D2 2016 Janeen Talbott), Into the Rain (MFA D2 2016 Layne Inselman), Falcons (MFA D2 2016 Carolina Garrigo), Devil’s Luck (MFA D2 2016 Robert Eaton), Soleil (BFA Documentary 2016 Erik Kallin), Radial (BFA F3 2016 Mary Kate Broadway), Starlite (BFA F3 2016 Stephen Bond), Lasting Marks (BFAD Thesis 2015 Logan Shye) and Built to Serve (BFAD Thesis 2015 Dylan Chase) were invited to screen at the Covey Film Festival in Thomasville, Georgia, October 13-29. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.coveyfilmfestival.com/.

Shark Attack (BFA Thesis 2016 Victoria Cragg/Grace Colley), Battle of the Brides (MFA Thesis 2016 Phillip Thomas) and Bad Town (BFA Thesis 2016 Daniel Smith/Victor Ingles) were selected for screening at the inaugural Way Down Film Festival in Columbus, Georgia, October 21-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.waydownfilm.com<http://www.waydownfilm.com/>.

Super Chef (MFA Thesis 2015 Rochelle Rose) was selected for screening at the Reel Sisters Film Festival in Brooklyn, October 22-23. For more information about this festival, go to www.reelsisters.org.

Built to Serve (BFAD Thesis 2015 Dylan Chase), Isa and the Frog Prince (MFA Thesis 2015 Yingxiang Huang), Southern Roots (BFA Thesis 2014 Betsy Serral), Lola the Great (BFA Thesis 2015 Lydia Dullinger), Super Chef (MFA Thesis 2015 Rochelle Rose) and Shark Attack (BFA Thesis 2016 Victoria Cragg/Grace Colley) were selected for screening at the International Family Film Festival in Hollywood, October 20-23. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.iffilmfest.org/.

Hush (MFA Thesis 2015 Whitney Clinkscales), How I Killed Pistol Rogers (MFA Thesis 2015 Ashlea Patterson) and Shark Attack (BFA Thesis 2016 Victoria Cragg/Grace Colley) were selected for screening at the Lady Filmmakers Film Festival in Los Angeles, October 23-25. For more information about this festival, go to http://ladyfilmmakers.com<http://ladyfilmmakers.com/>.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was selected for screening at the New Orleans Film Festival, October 20-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.neworleansfilmsociety.org<http://www.neworleansfilmsociety.org/>.

Once Upon a Blood Moon (MFA D1 2015 Rob Eaton) was selected for screening at the Terror Film Festival in Philadelphia, October 28-31. For more information about this festival, go to http://terrorfilmfestival.net<http://terrorfilmfestival.net/>.

Isa and the Frog Prince (MFA Thesis 2015 Yingxiang Huang) was selected for screening at the Chicago International Children’s Film Festival, October 28 – November 6. For more information about this festival, go to www.facets.org/kids.

A Jingle A Go-Go (MFA D2 2014 Spencer Frankeberger) is an official selection of Blow-Up, the Chicago International Arthouse Film Fest, November 3-7. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.blowupfilmfest.com/.

Finless (BFA Documentary 2015 Gabe Souza) was invited to screen at the Ride On FilmFestival in Ghent, Belgium on November 5. For more information about this festival, go to rideonfilmfestival.com.

Emma Inspired (BFA Thesis 2015 Nicole Machon/Jamie Rice) was selected for screening at the Nitehawk Shorts Festival in Brooklyn, November 8-13. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.nitehawkcinema.com/series/nitehawk-shorts-festival/.

Acoustic Ninja (BFA Documentary 2016 Rob Bevis) was selected for screening at the Denver Film Festival, November 2-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.denverfilm.org.

Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) was selected for screening at the Florida Horror Film Festival in Tampa on November 6. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/FloridaHorrorFilmFestival.

Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar) was selected for screening at the November 9 screening of the Silver Screen for Short Films in Clearwater. For more information about this series, go to https://www.facebook.com/ss4sf/.

Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) was selected for screening at the Lone Star Film Festival in Fort Worth, Texas, November 10-13. For more information about this festival, go to http://lonestarfilmfestival.com<http://lonestarfilmfestival.com/>.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was invited to screen at the Razor Reel Flanders Fantastic Film Festival in Bruges, Belgium, November 10-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.rrfff.bc.

Amanda and the Hare (BFA Documentary 2015 Emily Mills/Jared Hopkins) was selected for screening at DOC NYC, November 10-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.docnyc.net<http://www.docnyc.net/>.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) was selected for screening at the San Diego Asian Film Festival, November 10-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.pac-arts.org<http://www.pac-arts.org/>.

Each Coming Day (MFA Thesis 2016 Jennifer Silver/Sara Corkern) was selected for screening at the Equus Film Festival in New York City, November 17-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.equusfilmfestival.net/.

Us Thereafter (BFA Documentary 2016 Terry Beck) was invited to screen at the EyeCatcher International Film Festival in McAlester, Oklahoma, November 6-13. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.eyecatcherfilmfest.com/.

Lola the Great (BFA Thesis 2015 Lydia Dullinger) was selected for screening at the Hamilton Film Festival in Canada, November 7-13. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.hamiltonfilmfestival.com/.

Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Alexandrina Andre) was selected for screening at the Transforming Cinema Film Festival in Sheffield, England, November 19-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.transformingcinema.co.uk<http://www.transformingcinema.co.uk/>.

Emma Inspired (BFA Thesis 2015 Nicole Machon/Jamie Rice) was chosen to screen in a best of 2016 New York No Limits screening at the New York No Limits Film Series Summit, November 17-19. For more information about this series, go to www.newyorknolimits.com<http://www.newyorknolimits.com/>.

Somewhere To Be (MFA Thesis 2015 Nick DeCell) was selected for screening at the Napa Valley Film Festival in Napa, Yountville, St. Helena, and Calistoga, California, November 9-13. For more information about this festival, go to http://napavalleyfilmfest.org/.

Hush (MFA Thesis 2015 Whitney Clinkscales), For the Love of Criterion (BFA Documentary 2016 Anthony Romaguera), Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin), How I Killed Pistol Rogers (MFA Thesis 2015 Ashlea Patterson), Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab), The Gypsy (BFA Documentary 2016 Gabriel Valbuena), For Will (BFA Documentary 2016 Grayson Goga/Grace Stalley), Once Upon a Blood Moon (MFA D1 2015 Rob Eaton) and David (BFA Thesis 2065 William Mauer) were selected for screening at the Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival, November 4-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.fliff.com.

Room 237 (MFA D1 2015 Matthew Robinson) was selected for screening at the Miami Short Film Festival, November 14-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.miamishortfilmfestival.com<http://www.miamishortfilmfestival.com/>.

Shark Attack (BFA Thesis 2016 Victoria Cragg) was selected for screening at the My Hero International Film Festival in Los Angeles on November 19. For more information about this festival, go to myhero.com.

Finless (BFA Documentary 2015 Gabe Souza), Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar), Bad Town (BFA Thesis 2016 Daniel Smith/Victor Ingles), Nightfall (MFA Thesis 2015 Meg Scott Cain) and Acoustic Ninja (BFA Documentary 2016 Rob Bevis) were selected for screening at the Et Cultura Film Festival in St. Petersburg, Florida, November 18-20. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.etcultura.com/.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) was selected for screening at the Philadelphia Asian American Film Festival, November 11-20. For more information about this festival, go to http://phillyasianfilmfest.org/.

Jeremy Donaldson is a finalist for the ASC Vilmos Zsigmond Heritage Award for his work as DP on Isa and the Frog Prince (MFA Thesis 2015 Yingxiang Huang). For more information about this competition, go to http://www.theasc.com/site/news/asc-announces-finalists-for-2016-student-heritage-awards/.

Us Thereafter (BFA Documentary 2016 Terry Beck) and For Will (BFA Documentary 2016 Grace Stalley/Grayson Goga) were selected for screening at the Key West Film Festival, November 16-20. For more information about this festival, go to kwfilmfest.com.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was selected for screening at the Fright Night Film Fest in Louisville, Kentucky, November 25-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.frightnightfilmfest.com.

Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) was invited to screen at the Bogota Short Film Festival (Bogo Shorts) in Bogota, Colombia, December 6-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.bogoshorts.com<http://www.bogoshorts.com/>.

Fathers and Daughters (MFA Thesis 2014 Mithra Alavi) was selected for screening at the Cinematic Arts Film Festival (Shorts and Micro Cinema) Los Angeles, December 9-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.cinematicartsfilmfest.com.

A Surprise (MFA D1 2015 Yi Tao) was selected for screening at the IndieWise Virtual Film Festival on January 2. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/getindiewise.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) is an Official Selection of the Hollywood Independent Film Festival Awards. The awards ceremony takes place on January 7. For more information about this competition, go to http://himpff.com<http://himpff.com/>.

A Surprise (MFA D1 2015 Yi Tao), Concessions (MFA D2 2016 Sam Bartz) and Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) are official selections of Los Angeles CineFest, an online festival, January 14-15. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.lacinefest.org/.

Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) was invited to screen at the GardenCity Film Festival in Bangalore, India on April 2. For more information about this festival, go to http://gardencityff.blogspot.in/.

Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar), Concessions (MFA D2 2016 Sam Bartz), and Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) are official selections of Mindie, the Miami Independent Film Festival, April 3-5. For more information about this festival, go to miamindiefest.com.

--
Meryl Warren, Director of Alumni
College of Motion Picture Arts