[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 10.20.16

Warren, Meryl mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Oct 20 14:24:15 EDT 2016

Kelsey Scott will be the guest speaker at FAMU Convocation Friday, October 21, at 10 AM in Jake Gaither Gym!   And the brand news news (as reported in Deadline Hollywood today) is that she is joining the Fear the Walking Dead family. http://deadline.com/2016/10/fear-the-walking-dead-passage-web-series-amc-the-walking-dead-1201838463/ Way to go, Kelsey!

Thirteen of our student films will be screening at the Covey Film Festival in Thomasville (Thomas University’s Flowers Auditorium, 1501 Millpond Rd.) at 5:30pm on Sunday,  October 23rd. The films screening are Heavy Weight, The Voice from the Page, Stutter, Blackface, Spin Cycle, Into the Rain, Falcons, Devil’s Luck, Radial, Starlite, Soleil, Lasting Marks and Built to Serve. Go to www.covefilmfestival.com to see what else is happening at the festival.

Josh Tickell (MFA  02) and his wife, Rebecca, directed  Good Fortune,a film about Austin Billionaire John Paul DeJoria (Paul Cohen Executive Produced).  The film will premiere at the Austin Film Festival.   Read a really interesting review/interview with Josh and Rebecca at  http://www.mystatesman.com/news/entertainment/movies/john-paul-dejoria-and-the-rise-of-conscious-capita/nsn6f/

Katherine Oostman (MFA 2017) and Rika Bhakta (MFA 2017) were invited to compete in the 2016 New Orleans Film Festival's Pitch Perfect Contest - a contest where southern-based filmmakers are given the chance to pitch their narrative and documentary concepts to a panel of industry professionals. Rika Bhakta competed in Open Call: Narrative with a feature she'd like to make after graduation. Katherine Oostman competed in and won University: Narrative with her thesis film's pitch.

>From Ben Fredman (MFA 13)  “Had the opportunity to work on a really cool element of Billy Bob Thornton's new show "Goliath" on Amazon. I was the focus puller on this rad title sequence for the show. Got to work with my close friend and DP Matt Bass and visionary director Bill Yukich, who has edited tons of the cool music videos everyone remembers for the last 20 years. The last one he edited was Beyoncé's Lemonade. We had fire gags, underwater work, and some incredibly cool effects to give it some gritty mood and texture. Check it out here - https://vimeo.com/187572239 or when the show airs on Amazon! “

I talked with Henry Tisdale this week.  Henry has acted in many, many of our student films and has been acting in a number of indie films.  He begins production this week on "The Watchmen's Edict" this weekend in Orlando.  With other cast members he was I also was interviewed  on the set of The Oh, ROY! Show to talk about my roles in the feature film SPOOK BRIDGE, along with other cast members. Watch the interview https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwCVb8Hndq5b3klx_5a7lug    his <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwCVb8Hndq5b3klx_5a7lug.--his>  comments about FSU come right at the end.  He’s also had parts in Watch Over Us, Catching Hearts, Chronos, Grandma’s Blessings.  He asked me to share:  “I owe the Film School a lot for giving me a chance to explore my talent. I have worked with some very good students, faculty, and support people at FSU, some of them even becoming friends.”

>From Phillip Thomas (MFA 16)  “I will be relocating to LA and beginning my internship on November 8th through the end of March and I am scrambling to find a place in the Sherman Oaks, Van Nuys, Woodland Hills, Santa Monica and Thousand Oaks areas for a better commute to Malibu every morning.  If anyone is in need of a roommate in those areas, please let me know.  I'm also open to private rooms and guest houses. Max budget is $1500 per month.  Contact me at pthomas0287 at comcast.net<mailto:pthomas0287 at comcast.net> “

>From Richard Travis (MFA  91)  “Just heard that Barry Jenkins (BFA 03) will be a guest today on the NPR talk show, "Fresh Air", with host Terry Gross. It will be accessible for playback on Fresh Air's website.”   And a great article in today’s issue of USA Today (supplement to local newspapers).

>From Oualid Mouaness (MFA 97)  “Los Angeles Friends, for those of you who didn't manage make it to the theatrical release of the film in September, The Rifle, The Jackal, The Wolf And The Boy<https://www.facebook.com/RIFLEFILM/> is screening again this Sunday October 23rd in Los Angeles as part of the Arab Film Festival<https://www.facebook.com/arabfilmfestival/> at the Harmony Gold Theater<https://www.facebook.com/Harmony-Gold-Theater-358084380945071/> at 2pm. I will be there for the screening and would love to see you. Join us for a series of good short films.”

>From Stephanie Williams (MFA 14): "I have been working as the Post Production Coordinator on Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2   The movie doesn't hit theaters until next May, but our first trailer and teaser poster were recently released! Here is the link to the variety article: http://variety.com/2016/film/news/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-teaser-trailer-1201894065/"

Going to be in Atlanta on Tuesday, November 15?  The Dean’s Council of Alumni, Alumni Culture Committee for the Atlanta area, will be hosting their first Atlanta Film Forum at Crazy Legs Productions<https://www.facebook.com/clpstorytellers/>, 1781 Peachtree St NE, Atlanta, Georgia 30309, 7:30 to 10 PM:  A Chat with APA Agent Christina Campagnola:   Tips and Insights.  If you live in ATL or plan to be in there on the 15th, hope you will join us.  Attending from the Film School will be Frank Patterson, Leslie Patterson, Brenda Mills, Lindsay Hartmann and me!

>From Steve Samanan (BFA  94)  “I’m currently working on the Emmy-winning series Veep for HBO as a graphic designer.  Meanwhile, I was an honored guest on a friend’s funny and delightful podcast about wine and Hollywood!  (Admittedly I’m only an expert in one of the two, but I’m learning!)  www.hollywooduncorkedpodcast.com<http://www.hollywooduncorkedpodcast.com/> “

Welcome back to the Film School Campus to Frank Byer, ASC cinematographer who will be here until December helping the MFA thesis DP’s in externalizing the mood and tone of their thesis films.

>From Yingxiang Huang (MFA 15)“1, I worked in post production of a Hongkong feature film, Cold War 2, produced by the famous Chinese producer William King, who was known for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon(2000). The leads include Chow Yun-fat, Aaron Kwok and etc. I was Assistant editor for Jordan Goldman, the Emmy's award winner editor. He knew that my goal was to direct so he taught me many editing tricks that a director should know. It was a great experience to work with wonderful people on such a huge project. Here is a link to get more info about the film.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hong-kong-box-office-cold-916034

2, I came back to China since I've been waiting for my O1 visa ( outstanding artist visa) is still in process. Right now I am working as the director for an animation web series project. It's about a group of young people stealing things from the ancient tombs and find out the secret of immortal. We are using the motion capture device to capture movement information and put them onto our animated chacracters. The budget is over 3 million US dollars. It's big compare to other webseries in China.”

>From Spencer Frankeberger (MFA 15)  “I am currently the supervising producer for a play called Sparkles and the Black Weeping Woman which opens October 22 and runs thru November 13th at the McCadden Place Theatre in Hollywood.
Tickets and more information can be found on FB: https://www.facebook.com/SATBWW/?fref=ts and Brown Paper Tickets: http://sparkles.brownpapertickets.com/  Would love to see some support from the FSU Family!”

Another Tallahassee Premiere Nights is right around the corner! We have a great selection of local films including a wonderful mix of comedies, horrors, documentaries and dramas. The films we will be screening include:
Netflix and Consent - directed by Carolina Ruggero; Serious Fun - directed by Xiaoyan Wang; The Most Pretentious Film Ever - directed by Tyler Smith; Unexpected Grace - directed by Regan Stelling; Concessions - directed by Sam Bartz; Lab Rats - directed by John Stevenson; For the Record - directed by Justin Burt
Come out and support your local filmmakers! Last edition was standing room only, so show up early to get the best seats and the hottest popcorn!  Tallahassee Premiere Nights will be held on Friday October 21st @ 8:00pm at the All Saints Cinema in the old Amtrak Station near Railroad Square. WHEN: Friday October 21st TIME: 8:00pm LOCATION: All Saints Cinema (map<http://tallyshorts.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=046a916dc834895d794c0d41e&id=d4a285751c&e=56c9b18556>) ADMISSION: Free
“We are a non-profit looking for a student or recent graduate videographer to film our upcoming two day convention. The non-profit is called The Forever Family Foundation and we are a group that conducts scientific research of continuation of consciousness and afterlife studies to help people cope with loss. We have our conference coming up in Fort Myers, Florida on November 12th and 13th. You can check out the link here - http://conta.cc/2cL78NZ We will have talks and presentations during the day from mediums who have been part of serious science based research and  verification procedures. The talks should be fascinating. The filming would be very basic - TedTalk style videos of just the speaker. Minimal editing would be needed. Being a non-profit, budget it very tight, but we can offer gas expenses and feed anyone who attends. If there are students or recent grads who would find the talks interesting as well as someone who would be interested in building their portfolio by filming this event, please let me know.”  If interested, contact Liz at socialmedia at foreverfamilyfoundation.org<mailto:socialmedia at foreverfamilyfoundation.org>

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – October 20, 2016

Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) won the Gold Award for Best Editing at the September installment of the LA Shorts Awards. For more information about this competition, go to www.lashortsawards.com.

Fathers and Daughters (MFA Thesis 2014 Mithra Alavi) was selected for screening at the Cinematic Arts Film Festival (Shorts and Micro Cinema) Los Angeles, December 9-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.cinematicartsfilmfest.com.

Pandemonium (MFA Thesis 2016 Luis Mendez) was selected for screening at the Florida Horror Film Festival in Tampa on November 6. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/FloridaHorrorFilmFestival.

For the Love of Criterion (BFA Thesis 2016 Anthony Romaguera) was selected for screening at the Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival, November 4-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.fliff.com.

Bad Town (BFA Thesis 2016 Daniel Smith) and Nightfall (MFA Thesis 2015 Meg Scott Cain) were selected for screening at the Et Cultura Film Festival in St. Petersburg, Florida, November 18-20. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.etcultura.com/.

Somewhere To Be (MFA Thesis 2015 Nick DeCell) won the Audience Award in the College Short category at the La Costa Film Festival in Carlsbad, California, October 13-16. For more information about this festival, go to http://lacostafilmfestival.org/.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was selected for screening at the Flickers’ Vortex Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Horror Film Festival in Providence, Rhode Island, October 17-23. For more information about this festival, go to www.rifilmfest.org.

Us Thereafter (BFA Documentary 2016 Terry Beck) and For Will (BFA Documentary 2016 Grace Stalley/Grayson Goga) were selected for screening at the Key West Film Festival, November 16-20. For more information about this festival, go to kwfilmfest.com.

Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Alexandrina Andre) was selected for screening at the Transforming Cinema Film Festival in Sheffield, England, November 19-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.transformingcinema.co.uk<http://www.transformingcinema.co.uk/>.

Nightfall (MFA Thesis 2015 Meg Scott Cain), Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) and Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar) were selected for screening at the Spooky Empire International Horror Film Festival in Orlando, which had to be rescheduled because of the hurricane. For more information about this festival and the new dates, go to www.spookyempire.com.

Emma Inspired (BFA Thesis 2015 Nicole Machon/Jamie Rice) was chosen to screen in a best of 2016 New York No Limits screening at the New York No Limits Film Series Summit, November 17-19. For more information about this series, go to www.newyorknolimits.com.

Isa and the Frog Prince (MFA Thesis 2015 Yingxiang Huang) was selected for screening in the North American Chinese Directors Short Film Tour, October 1 – December 30. The tour will start in New York City, go to DC, Boston, LA and SF, then go to major Chinese cities. For more information about this touring festival, go to shortfilmtour.org.

Stutter (MFA Thesis 2016 Ivo Huahua) was selected for screening in a monthly screening of the Father/Daughter Film Report’s First Thursdays Film Festival in Bastrop, Texas. For more information about this film series, go to http://www.firstthursdaysfilmfestival.com/.

Finless (BFA Documentary 2015 Gabe Souza) was invited to screen at the Portuguese Surf Film Festival in Ericeira, Europe’s world surfing reserve, sometime in the near future. For more information about this festival, go to http://portuguesesurffilmfestival.com/#ericeira.

Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) was selected for screening at the Hyperdrive Sci-Fi & Fantasy Independent Film Festival in Hailsham, England in October. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.hyperdrivefestival.com/.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) and Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) were selected for screening at Screamfest in Los Angeles, October 11-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com<http://www.screamfestla.com/>.

Concessions (MFA D2 2016 Sam Bartz) and For the Record (BFA F3 2016 Justin Burt) were selected for screening at the October 21 Tallahassee Premiere Nights screening. For more information about this series, go to http://tallyshorts.com/tallahassee-premiere-nights/.

With Your Crooked Heart (BFA Thesis 2014 Sam Goodwin) was selected for screening at Flickers’ Vortex Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Horror Film Festival in Providence, Rhode Island, October 17-23. For more information about this festival, go to www.rifilmfest.org.

Lasting Marks (BFAD Thesis 2015 Logan Shye) and Built to Serve (BFAD Thesis 2015 Dylan Chase), Hedge Hero (BFA Thesis 2016 Lauren Hammond) and Tilted (BFA F3 2016 Zach Hoskin) were selected for screening at the MIA Animation Conference and Festival in Miami, October 21-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.miaanimation.com<http://www.miaanimation.com/>.

Patches (BFA F3 2015 Kat Barnette), About James (MFA D2 2015 Christopher Nold), The Extra Mile (BFA Documentary 2015 Courtney Ross), Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) and Hollow (BFA Thesis 2015 Kat Barnette) were selected for screening at the Orlando Film Festival, October 19-23. For more information about this festival, go to www.orlandofilmfest.com<http://www.orlandofilmfest.com/>.

Heavy Weight (MFA Thesis 2016 Jennifer Silver/Alex White), The Voice from the Page (MFA Thesis 2016 Andrea Branch), Stutter (MFA Thesis 2016 Ivo Huahua), Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity), Spin Cycle (MFA D2 2016 Janeen Talbott), Into the Rain (MFA D2 2016 Layne Inselman), Falcons (MFA D2 2016 Carolina Garrigo), Devil’s Luck (MFA D2 2016 Robert Eaton), Soleil (BFA Documentary 2016 Erik Kallin), Radial (BFA F3 2016 Mary Kate Broadway), Starlite (BFA F3 2016 Stephen Bond), Lasting Marks (BFAD Thesis 2015 Logan Shye) and Built to Serve (BFAD Thesis 2015 Dylan Chase) were invited to screen at the Covey Film Festival in Thomasville, Georgia, October 13-29. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.coveyfilmfestival.com/.

Shark Attack (BFA Thesis 2016 Victoria Cragg), Battle of the Brides (MFA Thesis 2016 Phillip Thomas) and Bad Town (BFA Thesis 2016 Daniel Smith) were selected for screening at the inaugural Way Down Film Festival in Columbus, Georgia, October 21-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.waydownfilm.com<http://www.waydownfilm.com/>.

Super Chef (MFA Thesis 2015 Rochelle Rose) was selected for screening at the Reel Sisters Film Festival in Brooklyn, October 22-23. For more information about this festival, go to www.reelsisters.org.

Built to Serve (BFAD Thesis 2015 Dylan Chase), Isa and the Frog Prince (MFA Thesis 2015 Yingxiang Huang), Southern Roots (BFA Thesis 2014 Betsy Serral), Lola the Great (BFA Thesis 2015 Lydia Dullinger), Super Chef (MFA Thesis 2015 Rochelle Rose) and Shark Attack (BFA Thesis 2016 Victoria Cragg) were selected for screening at the International Family Film Festival in Hollywood, October 20-23. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.iffilmfest.org/.

Hush (MFA Thesis 2015 Whitney Clinkscales), How I Killed Pistol Rogers (MFA Thesis 2015 Ashlea Patterson) and Shark Attack (BFA Thesis 2016 Victoria Cragg) were selected for screening at the Lady Filmmakers Film Festival in Los Angeles, October 23-25. For more information about this festival, go to http://ladyfilmmakers.com<http://ladyfilmmakers.com/>.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was selected for screening at the New Orleans Film Festival, October 20-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.neworleansfilmsociety.org<http://www.neworleansfilmsociety.org/>.

Once Upon a Blood Moon (MFA D1 2015 Rob Eaton) was selected for screening at the Terror Film Festival in Philadelphia, October 28-31. For more information about this festival, go to http://terrorfilmfestival.net<http://terrorfilmfestival.net/>.

Isa and the Frog Prince (MFA Thesis 2015 Yingxiang Huang) was selected for screening at the Chicago International Children’s Film Festival, October 28 – November 6. For more information about this festival, go to www.facets.org/kids.

A Jingle A Go-Go (MFA D2 2014 Spencer Frankeberger) is an official selection of Blow-Up, the Chicago International Arthouse Film Fest, November 3-7. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.blowupfilmfest.com/.

Finless (BFA Documentary 2015 Gabe Souza) was invited to screen at the Ride On FilmFestival in Ghent, Belgium on November 5. For more information about this festival, go to rideonfilmfestival.com.

Emma Inspired (BFA Thesis 2015 Nicole Machon/Jamie Rice) was selected for screening at the Nitehawk Shorts Festival in Brooklyn, November 8-13. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.nitehawkcinema.com/series/nitehawk-shorts-festival/.

Acoustic Ninja (BFA Documentary 2016 Rob Bevis) was selected for screening at the Denver Film Festival, November 2-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.denverfilm.org.

Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar) was selected for screening at the November 9 screening of the Silver Screen for Short Films in Clearwater. For more information about this series, go to https://www.facebook.com/ss4sf/.

Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) was selected for screening at the Lone Star Film Festival in Fort Worth, Texas, November 10-13. For more information about this festival, go to http://lonestarfilmfestival.com<http://lonestarfilmfestival.com/>.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was invited to screen at the Razor Reel Flanders Fantastic Film Festival in Bruges, Belgium, November 10-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.rrfff.bc.

Amanda and the Hare (BFA Documentary 2015 Emily Mills/Jared Hopkins) was selected for screening at DOC NYC, November 10-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.docnyc.net<http://www.docnyc.net/>.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) was selected for screening at the San Diego Asian Film Festival, November 10-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.pac-arts.org<http://www.pac-arts.org/>.

Us Thereafter (BFA Documentary 2016 Terry Beck) is a finalist of the Voices from the Margins filmfest and will screen at the Teach-In Film Fest in Arlington, Virginia on November 12. A winner will be chosen to premiere at the ISN Teach-In in Washington, DC, November 12-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.americamedia.org.

Us Thereafter (BFA Documentary 2016 Terry Beck) was invited to screen at the EyeCatcher International Film Festival in McAlester, Oklahoma, November 6-13. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.eyecatcherfilmfest.com/.

Lola the Great (BFA Thesis 2015 Lydia Dullinger) was selected for screening at the Hamilton Film Festival in Canada, November 7-13. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.hamiltonfilmfestival.com/.

Somewhere To Be (MFA Thesis 2015 Nick DeCell) was selected for screening at the Napa Valley Film Festival in Napa, Yountville, St. Helena, and Calistoga, California, November 9-13. For more information about this festival, go to http://napavalleyfilmfest.org/.

Hush (MFA Thesis 2015 Whitney Clinkscales), Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin), How I Killed Pistol Rogers (MFA Thesis 2015 Ashlea Patterson), Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab), The Gypsy (BFA Documentary 2016 Gabriel Valbuena), For Will (BFA Documentary 2016 Grayson Goga/Grace Stalley), Once Upon a Blood Moon (MFA D1 2015 Rob Eaton) and David (BFA Thesis 2065 William Mauer) were selected for screening at the Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival, November 4-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.fliff.com.

Room 237 (MFA D1 2015 Matthew Robinson) was selected for screening at the Miami Short Film Festival, November 14-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.miamishortfilmfestival.com<http://www.miamishortfilmfestival.com/>.

Shark Attack (BFA Thesis 2016 Victoria Cragg) was selected for screening at the My Hero International Film Festival in Los Angeles on November 19. For more information about this festival, go to myhero.com.

Finless (BFA Documentary 2015 Gabe Souza), Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar) and Acoustic Ninja (BFA Documentary 2016 Rob Bevis) were selected for screening at the Et Cultura Film Festival in St. Petersburg, Florida, November 18-20. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.etcultura.com/.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) was selected for screening at the Philadelphia Asian American Film Festival, November 11-20. For more information about this festival, go to http://phillyasianfilmfest.org/.

Jeremy Donaldson is a finalist for the ASC Vilmos Zsigmond Heritage Award for his work as DP on Isa and the Frog Prince (MFA Thesis 2015 Yingxiang Huang). For more information about this competition, go to http://www.theasc.com/site/news/asc-announces-finalists-for-2016-student-heritage-awards/.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was selected for screening at the Fright Night Film Fest in Louisville, Kentucky, November 25-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.frightnightfilmfest.com.

Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) was invited to screen at the Bogota Short Film Festival (Bogo Shorts) in Bogota, Colombia, December 6-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.bogoshorts.com<http://www.bogoshorts.com/>.

A Surprise (MFA D1 2015 Yi Tao) was selected for screening at the IndieWise Virtual Film Festival on January 2. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/getindiewise.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) is an Official Selection of the Hollywood Independent Film Festival Awards. The awards ceremony takes place on January 7. For more information about this competition, go to http://himpff.com<http://himpff.com/>.

A Surprise (MFA D1 2015 Yi Tao), Concessions (MFA D2 2016 Sam Bartz) and Reun

ion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) are official selections of Los Angeles CineFest, an online festival, January 14-15. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.lacinefest.org/.

Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) was invited to screen at the GardenCity Film Festival in Bangalore, India on April 2. For more information about this festival, go to http://gardencityff.blogspot.in/.

Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar), Concessions (MFA D2 2016 Sam Bartz), and Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) are official selections of Mindie, the Miami Independent Film Festival, April 3-5. For more information about this festival, go to miamindiefest.com.

--
Meryl Warren, Director of Alumni
College of Motion Picture Arts