[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 10.6.16

Warren, Meryl mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Oct 6 14:10:06 EDT 2016

From Arturo Yepez (MFA 07)  “Today the Ecuadorian Cinema Council announced that Sin Muertos No Hay Carnaval, my third movie as a producer will be the representative of Ecuador in the 2017 Academy Awards for the Best Foreign Language Film award. We are very excited with the news. We will be soon in LA and NY screening the movie for the academy members. Here the trailer:
Trailer - Sin Muertos No Hay Carnaval<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5Mfa0f7PT8> “

From JD Taylor (BFA 93)  “This is the last season of MTV’s hit show Teen Wolf. I’ve been lucky enough to run with this show since the beginning as a 1st AD, 2nd Unit Director, and Director of 2 episodes. During my hiatus this summer, I started a new project with my partner and producer/director/editor Linda Burns of Plexus Pictures. I’m the EP of a new documentary series shooting this summer and fall along Panacea, St. Marks, Shell Point, Spring Creek and Alligator Point. Once that segment is complete, we’ll move down the coast toward St. Teresa, Lanark Village, Carrabelle, East Point, and Apalach. Faces Of The Forgotten Coast celebrates the rich culture and generational heritage of the people living in the small fishing villages along the Big Bend, or Forgotten Coast area of North Florida. From commercial fishing and guiding to seafood processing and shellfish farming, this documentary series hopes to educate, enlighten, and entertain as well as preserve the salt life stories of a dying industry as it tries to reinvent and sustain itself for the future. Follow along with us on FB at https://www.facebook.com/FacesOfTheForgottenCoast.”

From Ryan Sparkleberry Lynch (MFA02):  “I'm very happy to say I will be starting my first TV show as Chief Lighting Technician in a couple weeks on Silicon Valley Season 4 with Tim Suhrstedt ASC. About 9 years ago I had the opportunity to trade up my Local 80 grip card for a Local 728 lighting technician card on 3 features with classmate Armando Salas(MFA02). Up until then, I was regularly honing my lighting chops on commercials and videos with Craig Kief(MFA99). I have since worked my way up through the 728 lighting department on many TV shows, commercials and features.

A couple years back I was invited to do my first feature as CLT, again with Armando. This time last year I was prepping to travel to Philadelphia with Mike Gioulakis for the feature Split. In February I attended my first and the 30th ASC awards. I am starting another project with James Laxton(BFA03) that takes me right into SV4. Its been a long,  wild journey for sure.  Over the last 14 years, I've had the great pleasure of learning from and working with FSU DPs: Craig, Armando, Mikey G, James and Paul Marschall (MFA00). Wouldn't be where I am without their friendships and skills. I'm happy for the FSU family I have.

Wonderful article on Barry Jenkins (BFA 03)/Moonlight in Fader:   http://www.thefader.com/2016/10/04/moonlight-movie-barry-jenkins-director-interview

Adwin Brown (FSU Theatre) who acted in so many of our films, has been getting some great roles!   Watch him Tuesday night, Brooklyn 99, on Fox!

And another FSU Theatre alum, Elly Schaefer, is in a national spot running for Geranimals!

From Briana Frapart (BFA 11)  “This is  the first KPOP music video that I produced and creatively directed, and definitely my most challenging production to date. Jacob Abrams (BFA 11) was the gaffer, of course! Had some other FSU work on it (Crystal Collins (BFA 10), Margie Cooper (BFA 14), Armaan Uplekar (BFA 14) , Melisse Sporn (BFA 14) , Jon Sams (BFA 14)). Much more to come and the KPOP-related feature around the corner, too.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpkCrMli-Pg

From Gerald Jacksn (MFA  04)  “THE OFFICIAL KICKSTARTER CROWDFUNDING PAGE for my most recent film production MISSY'S MUSICAL MISADVENTURE! is officially live! Please support me as I raise funds for film festival fees! We need your help!   Also, THANKS SO MUCH to the VERY talented Benjamin Wilson (BFA-04!) The award-winning song writer/musician wrote three original songs for us! Cool, huh? Click on the link to donate!  PLEASE Spread the word!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1616239508/missys-musical-misadventure

Dan Holland, former Film School editing faculty member, will be the AEC Editor on Riverdale on the CW!

From Jamie Kassler (MFA 11)  “After learning about mass suicides among youth and hopelessness in Japan, I found an opportunity to help on a local and national level. On October 17, I'm flying to Kyoto, Japan to lead film production for an organization called EE Japan, and Kyoto International Church. Our work will bring hope to the community of Kyoto, and empower pastors in ministry across the nation. Japan's ministry is struggling, and cannot pay me - I must raise monthly support to help Kyoto, and fund EE Japan's production. If you have a heart for Japan, and the precious lives of youth: be a part of this. Every dollar helps, and could save lives. Some Film School alumni are already monthly supporters, as well as some native Japanese, Taiwanese & Chinese. I'd love to have more FSU friends be a part of this - it's going to be amazing! You can learn more at: www.JesusInJapan.org<http://www.jesusinjapan.org/> or www.gofundme.com/launchJesusInJapan<http://www.gofundme.com/launchJesusInJapan>

From Chris Amick (BFA 10)  “JOB OPP: PopSugar is looking for editors in NY to work on freelance doc and sizzle projects. Must be comfortable editing on Premiere and using After Effects. If you're interested, send me some samples and I can pass your work along. Samples should be Docu-style or sizzles.”  Camick222 at gmail.com<mailto:Camick222 at gmail.com>

From Savage Bell (BFA  94)  “My friend, Laura Holloway, is looking for a crew with VR/360 Panoramic production capabilities in the Bay/Okaloosa/Walton County area.  If you are interested, send a cover letter and resume to:
Laura Holloway, Chief, laura at storytelleragency.com<mailto:laura at storytelleragency.com>
storytelleragency.com
850.267.0931<file://localhost/tel/850.267.0931> │ 323.574.0566<file://localhost/tel/323.574.0566>

Listening to the latest weather reports it sounds like Matthew is going to be very hard on the East Coast of FL. If anyone needs to relocate during the storm, we have two houses, and could house several people.  And I know our faculty, staff and students would also be willing to offer accommodations.   Just let me know if you are interested.

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – October 6, 2016

Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar) was selected for screening at the Et Cultura Film Festival in St. Petersburg, Florida, November 2-20. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.etcultura.com/.

With Your Crooked Heart (BFA Thesis 2014 Sam Goodwin) was selected for screening at Flickers’ Vortex Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Horror Film Festival in Providence, Rhode Island, October 17-23. For more information about this festival, go to www.rifilmfest.org.

Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar), Concessions (MFA D2 2016 Sam Bartz), Marianne (MFA D2 2016 Yu Ying Chien) and Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) are official selections of Mindie, the Miami Independent Film Festival, April 3-5. For more information about this festival, go to miamindiefest.com.

Stutter (MFA Thesis 2016 Ivo Huahua) was selected for screening in a monthly screening of the Father/Daughter Film Report’s First Thursdays Film Festival in Bastrop, Texas. For more information about this film series, go to http://www.firstthursdaysfilmfestival.com/.

Isa and the Frog Prince (MFA Thesis 2015 Yingxiang Huang) was selected for screening in the North American Chinese Directors Short Film Tour, October 1 – December 30. The tour will start in New York City, go to DC, Boston, LA and SF, then go to major Chinese cities. For more information about this touring festival, go to shortfilmtour.org.

Emma Inspired (BFA Thesis 2015 Nicole Machon/Jamie Rice) was selected for screening at the International Women’s Film Festival in Orlando, October 15-16. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.internationalwff.com/.

A Jingle A Go-Go (MFA D2 2014 Spencer Frankeberger) is an official selection of Blow-Up, the Chicago International Arthouse Film Fest, November 3-7. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.blowupfilmfest.com/.

Finless (BFA Documentary 2015 Gabe Souza) was invited to screen at the Ride On FilmFestival in Ghent, Belgium on November 5. For more information about this festival, go to rideonfilmfestival.com.

Emma Inspired (BFA Thesis 2015 Nicole Machon/Jamie Rice), The Funspot (BFA F3 2015 Jake Hammond), Reversed (MFA D2 2015 Drina Andre) You Won’t Believe What Happens Next (BFA F1 2015 Arielle Heiman), Hedge Hero (BFA Thesis 2016 Lauren Hammond), A Blind Man (MFA Thesis 2014 Joel Black) and Built to Serve (BFAD Thesis 2015 Dylan Chase) were selected for screening at the Melbourne Independent Filmmakers Festival in Florida, October 7-8. For more information about this festival, go to melbournefilmfest.com.

Thirst (MFA D2 2014 Yiyi Yin) was selected for screening at the Sacramento Horror Film Festival, October 7-8. For more information about this festival, go to www.sachorrofilmfest.com.

Super Chef (MFA Thesis 2015 Rochelle Rose) was selected for screening at the Twin Cities Black Film Festival in Minneapolis, October 6-9. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.tcbff.org/.

Set in Stone (BFA Thesis 2015 Chloe Lind) was selected for screening in a fall screening of the Iron Mule Short Comedy Screening Series in New York City. For more information about this series, go to www.ironmulenyc.com<http://www.ironmulenyc.com/>.

Finless (BFA Documentary 2015 Gabe Souza) was invited to screen at the Portuguese Surf Film Festival in Ericeira, Europe’s world surfing reserve, sometime in the near future. For more information about this festival, go to http://portuguesesurffilmfestival.com/#ericeira.

Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) was selected for screening at the Hyperdrive Sci-Fi & Fantasy Independent Film Festival in Hailsham, England in October. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.hyperdrivefestival.com/.

Killer Kart (MFA Thesis 2012 J Feeney) will be screening in the farewell screening of all-time festival favorites of the Dark Carnival International Film Festival on October 8 in Bloomington, Indiana. Their site already seems to be kaput.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) and Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar) were selected for screening at the Spooky Empire International Horror Film Festival in Orlando, October 7-9. For more information about this festival, go to www.spookyempire.com.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was selected for screening at the Atlanta Horror Film Festival, October 13-15. For more information about this festival, go to http://atlantahorrorfilmfest.com<http://atlantahorrorfilmfest.com/>.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) was selected for screening at the Atlanta Horror Film Festival, October 13-15. For more information about this festival, go to http://atlantahorrorfilmfest.com<http://atlantahorrorfilmfest.com/>.

Still Life (BFA F-1 2015 Gabriel Valbuena) was selected for screening at the World Arts Film Festival in Jacksonville, October 13-15. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.worldartsfilmfestival.org/.

Heyln Springs (MFA Thesis 2014 Noah Camenker) was selected for screening at the Raleigh Film & Art Festival in North Carolina, October 14-16. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.raleighfilmandartfestival.com/.

Once Upon a Blood Moon (MFA D1 2015 Rob Eaton) was selected for screening at the Upstate New York Horror Film Festival in Rochester, October 14-16. For more information about this festival, go to http://nyhorrofest.com<http://nyhorrofest.com/>.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) and Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) were selected for screening at Screamfest in Los Angeles, October 11-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com<http://www.screamfestla.com/>.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was invited to screen at the Idaho Horror Film Festival in Boise, October 13-15. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.idahohorrorfilmfestival.org/.

Hush (MFA Thesis 2015 Whitney Clinkscales) and Somewhere To Be (MFA Thesis 2015 Nick DeCell) were selected for screening at the La Costa Film Festival in Carlsbad, California, October 13-16. For more information about this festival, go to http://lacostafilmfestival.org/.

Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) was selected for screening at the Laughlin International Film Festival in Nevada, October 13-16. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/Laughlinfilmfestival.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was selected for screening at the Brooklyn Horror Film Festival, October 14-16. For more information about this festival, go to http://brooklynhorrorfest.com/.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was selected for screening at the Killer Valley Horror Film Festival in Ashland, Oregon, possibly on October 15. For more information about this festival, go to http://killervalleyhorrorfilmfestival.com/.

Patches (BFA F3 2015 Kat Barnette), About James (MFA D2 2015 Christopher Nold), The Extra Mile (BFA Documentary 2015 Courtney Ross), Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) and Hollow (BFA Thesis 2015 Kat Barnette) were selected for screening at the Orlando Film Festival, October 19-23. For more information about this festival, go to www.orlandofilmfest.com<http://www.orlandofilmfest.com/>.

Heavy Weight (MFA Thesis 2016 Jennifer Silver/Alex White), The Voice from the Page (MFA Thesis 2016 Andrea Branch), Stutter (MFA Thesis 2016 Ivo Huahua), Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity), Spin Cycle (MFA D2 2016 Janeen Talbott), Into the Rain (MFA D2 2016 Layne Inselman), Falcons (MFA D2 2016 Carolina Garrigo), Devil’s Luck (MFA D2 2016 Robert Eaton), Soleil (BFA Documentary 2016 Erik Kallin), Radial (BFA F3 2016 Mary Kate Broadway), Starlite (BFA F3 2016 Stephen Bond), Lasting Marks (BFAD Thesis 2015 Logan Shye) and Built to Serve (BFAD Thesis 2015 Dylan Chase) were invited to screen at the Covey Film Festival in Thomasville, Georgia, October 13-29. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.coveyfilmfestival.com/.

Shark Attack (BFA Thesis 2016 Victoria Cragg), Battle of the Brides (MFA Thesis 2016 Phillip Thomas) and Bad Town (BFA Thesis 2016 Daniel Smith) were selected for screening at the inaugural Way Down Film Festival in Columbus, Georgia, October 21-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.waydownfilm.com<http://www.waydownfilm.com/>.

Super Chef (MFA Thesis 2015 Rochelle Rose) was selected for screening at the Reel Sisters Film Festival in Brooklyn, October 22-23. For more information about this festival, go to www.reelsisters.org.

Built to Serve (BFAD Thesis 2015 Dylan Chase), Isa and the Frog Prince (MFA Thesis 2015 Yingxiang Huang), Southern Roots (BFA Thesis 2014 Betsy Serral), Lola the Great (BFA Thesis 2015 Lydia Dullinger), Super Chef (MFA Thesis 2015 Rochelle Rose) and Shark Attack (BFA Thesis 2016 Victoria Cragg) were selected for screening at the International Family Film Festival in Hollywood, October 20-23. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.iffilmfest.org/.

Hush (MFA Thesis 2015 Whitney Clinkscales), How I Killed Pistol Rogers (MFA Thesis 2015 Ashlea Patterson) and Shark Attack (BFA Thesis 2016 Victoria Cragg) were selected for screening at the Lady Filmmakers Film Festival in Los Angeles, October 23-25. For more information about this festival, go to http://ladyfilmmakers.com<http://ladyfilmmakers.com/>.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was selected for screening at the New Orleans Film Festival, October 20-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.neworleansfilmsociety.org<http://www.neworleansfilmsociety.org/>.

Once Upon a Blood Moon (MFA D1 2015 Rob Eaton) was selected for screening at the Terror Film Festival in Philadelphia, October 28-31. For more information about this festival, go to http://terrorfilmfestival.net<http://terrorfilmfestival.net/>.

Emma Inspired (BFA Thesis 2015 Nicole Machon/Jamie Rice) was selected for screening at the Nitehawk Shorts Festival in Brooklyn, November 8-13. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.nitehawkcinema.com/series/nitehawk-shorts-festival/.

Acoustic Ninja (BFA Documentary 2016 Rob Bevis) was selected for screening at the Denver Film Festival, November 2-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.denverfilm.org.

Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar) was selected for screening at the November 9 screening of the Silver Screen for Short Films in Clearwater. For more information about this series, go to https://www.facebook.com/ss4sf/.

Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) was selected for screening at the Lone Star Film Festival in Fort Worth, Texas, November 10-13. For more information about this festival, go to http://lonestarfilmfestival.com<http://lonestarfilmfestival.com/>.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was invited to screen at the Razor Reel Flanders Fantastic Film Festival in Bruges, Belgium, November 10-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.rrfff.bc.

Amanda and the Hare (BFA Documentary 2015 Emily Mills/Jared Hopkins) was selected for screening at DOC NYC, November 10-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.docnyc.net<http://www.docnyc.net/>.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) was selected for screening at the San Diego Asian Film Festival, November 10-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.pac-arts.org<http://www.pac-arts.org/>.

Us Thereafter (BFA Documentary 2016 Terry Beck) was invited to screen at the EyeCatcher International Film Festival in McAlester, Oklahoma, November 6-13. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.eyecatcherfilmfest.com/.

Lola the Great (BFA Thesis 2015 Lydia Dullinger) was selected for screening at the Hamilton Film Festival in Canada, November 7-13. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.hamiltonfilmfestival.com/.

Somewhere To Be (MFA Thesis 2015 Nick DeCell) was selected for screening at the Napa Valley Film Festival in Napa, Yountville, St. Helena, and Calistoga, California, November 9-13. For more information about this festival, go to http://napavalleyfilmfest.org/.

Hush (MFA Thesis 2015 Whitney Clinkscales), Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin), How I Killed Pistol Rogers (MFA Thesis 2015 Ashlea Patterson), Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab), The Gypsy (BFA Documentary 2016 Gabriel Valbuena), For Will (BFA Documentary 2016 Grayson Goga/Grace Stalley), Once Upon a Blood Moon (MFA D1 2015 Rob Eaton) and David (BFA Thesis 2065 William Mauer) were selected for screening at the Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival, November 4-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.fliff.com.

Room 237 (MFA D1 2015 Matthew Robinson) was selected for screening at the Miami Short Film Festival, November 14-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.miamishortfilmfestival.com.

Finless (BFA Documentary 2015 Gabe Souza) and Acoustic Ninja (BFA Documentary 2016 Rob Bevis) were selected for screening at the Et Cultura Film Festival in St. Petersburg, Florida, November 2-20. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.etcultura.com/.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) was selected for screening at the Philadelphia Asian American Film Festival, November 11-20. For more information about this festival, go to http://phillyasianfilmfest.org/.

Jeremy Donaldson is a finalist for the ASC Vilmos Zsigmond Heritage Award for his work as DP on Isa and the Frog Prince (MFA Thesis 2015 Yingxiang Huang). For more information about this competition, go to http://www.theasc.com/site/news/asc-announces-finalists-for-2016-student-heritage-awards/.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was selected for screening at the Fright Night Film Fest in Louisville, Kentucky, November 25-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.frightnightfilmfest.com.

Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) was invited to screen at the Bogota Short Film Festival (Bogo Shorts) in Bogota, Colombia, December 6-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.bogoshorts.com<http://www.bogoshorts.com/>.

A Surprise (MFA D1 2015 Yi Tao) was selected for screening at the IndieWise Virtual Film Festival on January 2. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/getindiewise.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) is an Official Selection of the Hollywood Independent Film Festival Awards. The awards ceremony takes place on January 7. For more information about this competition, go to http://himpff.com<http://himpff.com/>.

A Surprise (MFA D1 2015 Yi Tao) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles CineFest, an online festival, January 14-15. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.lacinefest.org/.

Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) was invited to screen at the GardenCity Film Festival in Bangalore, India on April 2. For more information about this festival, go to http://gardencityff.blogspot.in/.
--
Meryl Warren, Director of Alumni
College of Motion Picture Arts