[Film-bfad1] [Film-bfad] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 3.15.18

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Mar 15 10:52:38 EDT 2018

[cid:image001.png at 01D3BC4B.BAD24D70]

All 100 comp tickets have been claimed for the LA screening and Sabrina has started a waitlist!  If you RSVP’d and find out that you can’t attend, please let Sabrina know (sreisinger at film.fsu.edu)<mailto:sreisinger at film.fsu.edu)> so your ticket can be used for someone on the wait list. All unclaimed tickets at will call will be offered on first come first serve basis to anyone waiting to get in.  Also, you can purchase a ticket at the theatre the night of the screening for $20.

And we will have a Film Forum Tuesday,  March 27, 2018 from 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM PDT on the Soapbox Films Soundstage, 1011 West Isabel Street Burbank, CA 91506.  This will be a moderated (Ryan Saul (MFA 95))  conversation followed by Q&A with writer T.S. Nowlin (BFA 03)  and director Wes Ball ( BFA 02) - FSU alums and filmmakers of The Maze Runner Trilogy.   There will be light snacks, beer and wine - You must be 21 years of age with a valid US ID to enter.  Bring guests; this is a networking event. But please introduce them to other guests!  Purchase $10 tickets at https://fsu-film-forum-maze-runner.eventbrite.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__fsu-2Dfilm-2Dforum-2Dmaze-2Drunner.eventbrite.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=EQZgyTHG-HM_Vx9CEo1F_5J55gRsS1bmvGwYLKTUpR4&s=sMLsyuKE7KlkfbeyWV2zOLcUrSOevmx19R9cMQcyrFc&e=>  Ticket sales end March 28.   When you purchase tickets, if you love these events and think they're a great way to meet up with old friends and network with new ones, here's a way to kick in a little more to show your appreciation and keep them going since these are completely funded by donations, volunteers, and ticket sales (which we try to keep as low as possible so everyone can afford to attend).  Film Forums are sponsored by our Dean’s Alumni Councils, this one in LA is spearheaded by Chris Alender (BFA 98).

From Curtis Adair, Jr., (MFA 13)  “Proud to say my feature script STRAW was one of 25 finalists in the Screencraft 2017 Film Fund grant competition (within a pool of 2000 applicants)! Congrats to RUN and KARACHI for taking home the prize in this competition — and interesting list of finalists period. “

From Brandi Bradburn-Holland (MFA  99)  “I’m over in Atlanta right directing Dynasty til the end of the week. Been awhile since I’ve been back in the South and unfortunately my schedule wouldn’t allow a quick drop down to Tallahassee. Meanwhile, Dan is enjoying a great run over at Riverdale. Kids are all great and becoming little adults. EJ (now a teenager!) is pursuing creative writing at California School of the Arts and both boys plan on applying there when they are old enough. We’re all looking forward to hiatus!”

Congratulations to Stevo Chang (MFA 04) and Fran Ervin (MFA 04)!  Their Virtual Reality film "Revoked" which Stevo and Fran co-wrote, Stevo directed it and Fran produced won "Best VR documentary or empathetic film" at Cinequest this past weekend!

From Christina Wren “Demetrius (Wren (BFA  05)  is screening his feature film, Rehabilitation of the Hill, on April 3 in Pittsburgh and then receiving Steeltown Entertainment’s Indie Award on April 12 for the work that he did in the historic Hill District community as part of the filmmaking process.  Demetrius witnessed that Denzel Washington- despite his efforts - was unable to hire a diverse crew locally while filming FENCES in the historically Black Hill District. Unsure of interest level, Demetrius set up workshops in the community to teach the filmmaking process and had standing room only every week, proving that the desire was there, just not the opportunity to learn. Since the film industry is one where it takes work to get work, he created a process to train the local workforce that immediately put learners on set to gain real life credits and experience to then parlay into future work. He was also brought on as a visiting professor at the University of Pittsburgh, and included his students in on-set learning.   Rehabilitation of the Hill follows two women from opposing backgrounds as they strive to transform their community and unwittingly fall in love.”

From Matt Blundell (BFA  00)  “ Just wanted to share the news that we had a blast at the Idyllwild International Festival of Cinema. Our movie "Hey, Kiri" took home the award for BEST SHORT FILM - COMEDY! We also had the honor of being the lowest budget film in the festival by FAR. Great job to everyone involved with this little big film. I can't thank you enough.  I also wanted to shout out to the aforementioned Harry Perry III  (BFA 99) and his film Neil Wade: Superhero Aide, which took home the award for BEST CHILDREN'S FILM. I'm super proud to have worked on that one too!

From Courtney Harmstone (BFA 12)  “I have made the switch from coordinator at a  film financing company into a Producer/Director role at a company called Alpha Grid, which is majority-owned by the Financial Times.  Since moving to Alpha Grid, I've worked on a series of projects and events and even got to attend The World Economic Forum.  One of my favourite projects that I was a lead Producer on is called Women's Voices<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__paidpost.ft.com_kpmg&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=x5bg-capzw_Ed2wcol-lm1m23be8d6mc20lNHDy7IE0&s=t2HDhwiC3X6OvgHJdN2ZDEtEmeviwWn1MnIcsapyjQY&e=>, which was sponsored by KPMG and shown at WEF. We got to interview people like Annie Lennox, Christiane Amanpour, Mikaila Ulmer and Ana Botin (Exec of Santander Bank!).  It's been really interesting and crazy work and I love it!  On the side of all that, I am still working on my short film festival, Catfish Shorts and also am Producing Indigo Valley :).”

From Rachel Stephens (BFA 11)  “I just wanted to reach out and let you both know that I’ll be filming the flashbacks portion of my feature film, ALASKA, in Georgia later this month. It’s the same feature that I began developing in Valliere‘s screenwriting class in 2011, so it’s been a very long time in the making. ;) So excited it’s finally coming to fruition!   We are looking for students or alums who might want to help on set.  Here are the logistics so far: We'll begin official prep on the 16th in Atlanta, GA and then we'll move to Savannah on the 26th because the shoot will take place in both Savannah and Athens, GA on March 27-31, a Tuesday-Saturday. (Exact schedule TBD but, as of now, it’s looking like we’ll begin in Savannah on March 27-28 and then move to Athens on day 3 to film there the 29-31.) Unfortunately, we can’t really afford to house anyone so are hoping for locals or someone with friends!  It should be a really fun production! We’re a mostly female team and several FSU Film ladies have been helping out: Nikki Groton (BFA ’11) and Christina Campagnola (BFA ’12) have been helping out with consulting from afar, Avital Epstein (BFA ’11) will be our Production Designer for the LA portion of the shoot, and Michael Bennett Smith (BFA '12) will be our 1st AD in Georgia.I’ve been working at a production studio, Quixote Studios, in LA for the last two years so we’ll have some great equipment, trucks, and some fun specialty camera gear on set. Our lead actress is Chloe Levine (THE TRANSFIGURATION, THE OA) and she’ll be there in GA as well. The film’s website is www.alaskathefilm.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.alaskathefilm.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=3gFsEbiO2KSUrPgw4wRH8Q&m=VTnBT5MeEHywU0d7Wk_2YLH_74bs9eDXmLgxIjewBys&s=9P3FeVQr_8X8Ho2vyYwtrLaq6fdVisA7Qe6KQLk6WhM&e=> and you can see a lot of the behind-the-scenes so far at instagram.com/alaska_the_movie<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__instagram.com_alaska-5Fthe-5Fmovie&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=3gFsEbiO2KSUrPgw4wRH8Q&m=VTnBT5MeEHywU0d7Wk_2YLH_74bs9eDXmLgxIjewBys&s=Y59kI75a1VcC0pamXx033Bco3rg5SGHbp_agrKL_q9s&e=> but let me know if there are any other questions you have for me or if you can help out.

From Shanice Anderson Tchamambe (BFA 00)  “Teaching yoga and meditation to my students has been a passion of mine for quite some time.  In the past, I have relied on DVDs and apps to guide our practice because I did not have the training to lead them on my own. However, I now have the opportunity to receive proper training but I need your support. To fund this professional development, I created a project  at DonorsChoose.org: Bring Yoga and Meditation to Bronx Students<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.donorschoose.org_Mrs.SAT&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=lmQyIeJWQYYblvK5NK3X6749I6MzmZP14vTEVqqfhZU&s=g3Ml_43jix2XG2xtJwavs-GfkwGr4S1bZmatk3O6-jw&e=>  My project only has 19 days to go. No amount is too small.  If you chip in to help my students, you'll get awesome photos and our heartfelt thanks. “

From Michael Felker (BFA 10)  “Hey y'all! I cut a bunch of episodes for a TV show. Check out "Life Hacks for Kids On The Road" with your kids, your friends, or even by your lonesome! It's pretty damn fun. Airs Saturdays 8:30ET/5:30PT on Universal Kids.:

My name is Ryan Scaringe, I am a graduate of the American Film Institute (AFI) where I received an MFA in film production. Currently, I serve as the president of a small production company called Kinogo Pictures.  Our mission at Kinogo is to bring cinematic productions onto the screen from under-represented talent.  We are currently seeking to find an appropriate script, for a feature film that would fall under SAG’s Low Budget Film Agreement.   My team and I would like to have an opportunity to review scripts from FSU’s screenwriting alumni.  I can personally assure you that any script submitted to us for consideration, will be carefully reviewed.  Even if the script is not selected for production, as a minimum, we will provide the screenwriter with detailed written comments and/or suggestions. While we will review any script for potential production, we are specifically seeking a script for a low-budget feature film to be produced in early 2019. Kinogo has already secured funding for this feature  and we believe it could be an excellent opportunity for a talented undiscovered screenwriter.  Of course, there is no cost or fee to submit a script; this is an honest attempt to find undiscovered talent. Feel free to contact me directly with any questions regarding Kinogo Pictures. 321-266-6201<tel:(321)%20266-6201>  or Ryan Scaringe ryan at kinogopictures.com<mailto:ryan at kinogopictures.com>

From Taylor Kidd Zegarra (BFA 14)  “I’’m finally leaving Tallahassee for Miami to be a producer at a production company. Sadly, that means leaving my current job at The Zimmerman Agency here in Tally. I’d love for an alum (new or seasoned) to take over this great job here in town. It’s a great opportunity for someone just out of school or even someone looking for a new opportunity. Basically, they’d be a part of an internal video production team inside a large advertising and PR agency that services clients nationally and internationally. The team handles everything from pre-production through post-production. We do anything from social media to television spots, etc. We also travel a decent amount in the year. They’d need to be fluent in Premiere and After Effects primarily, but also shooting, lighting, etc.  My last day is March 28, and I know the agency would love to get someone in as soon as possible.  Contact me at taylorkzegarra at gmail.com

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – March 15, 2018

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien), Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) and Lady Plum (BFA F3 2017 Grayson Goga) were selected for screening at the Sarasota Film Festival, April 13-22. The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn is screening as part of the Through Women’s Eyes Film Festival, which runs as part of the Sarasota Film Festival. For more information about Through Women’s Eyes, go to http://www.throughwomenseyes.com<http://www.throughwomenseyes.com/>. For more information about Sarasota, go to http://www.sarasotafilmfest.com<http://www.sarasotafilmfest.com/>.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) was selected for screening at the Culver City Film Festival, December 3-11, and was awarded Best Production Design and Best Choreography. For more information about this festival, go to www.culvercityfilmfestival.com<http://www.culvercityfilmfestival.com/>.

Everybody Loves a Panda (MFA D2 2017 Brandon Shenk) was selected for screening at the International Changing Perspectives Film Festival in Istanbul, Turkey, April 10-15. For more information about this festival, go to http://icpsff.com<http://icpsff.com/>.

The Funk Doctor (MFA D2 2017 Demetrius Martin) was selected for screening at the CannaBus Culture Film Fest, a touring festival that begins on April 20 in Burlington, Vermont. For more information about this festival, go to http://cannabusculturefilmfest.com/.

Baphomet High (MFA D2 2017 Rebecca Raymond) was selected for screening at the Indie Horror Film Festival in Dekalb, Illinois, March 16-18. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.indiehorrorfest.com/.

Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart) was selected for screening at the Socially Relevant Film Festival in New York City, March 16-22. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.ratedsrfilms.org/.

Schwinging (MFA D2 2017 Dylan Zivitz) was selected for screening at CineKink in New York City, March 14-18. For more information about this festival, go to http://cinekink.com/.

The Art of Foley (MFA D2 2017 Sara Karimipour) and Glory Days (BFA F3 2017 Terry Beck) were selected for screening at the Laugh or Die Comedy Festival in Chicago, May 18-20. For more information about this festival, go to http://laughordiecomedyfest.com<http://laughordiecomedyfest.com/>.

The Infamous Guy Christman (MFA D2 2017 Anthony DeNiro), The Art of Foley (MFA D2 2017 Sara Karimipour) and The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) were selected for screening at the Portland Comedy Film Festival in Oregon, March 21-24. For more information about this festival, go to https://filmfestivalcircuit.com/events/portland-comedy-film-festival/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__filmfestivalcircuit.com_events_portland-2Dcomedy-2Dfilm-2Dfestival_&d=DwMFAg&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=xIpHzcuwX3JVa7Cos0-8rp9kWVUsRgJBtEEOHh36rPc&m=q-VX7Di5dQm2UASKCspv9cXg_8mL79Dnkf8VapKdddw&s=3mQOJ2lmrx56BYmnBVaCyPZZ_Jj-Jr3pul92QjERdVg&e=>.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Film Festival, March 21-25. For more information about this festival, go to www.fortmyersfilmfestival.com.

Sitting Across from Strangers Like Us (BFA Thesis 2017 Melina Valdez) and Gene Lover (MFA D2 2017 Betty Jiang) were selected for screening at the Boston Underground Film Festival, March 21-25. For more information about this festival, go to www.bostonunderground.org<http://www.bostonunderground.org/>.

Morning Light Seems the Brightest (BFA F3 2016 Melina Valdez) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Film Festival, March 21-25. For more information about this festival, go to www.fortmyersfilmfestival.com.

An Apartment in Brooklyn (BFA Documentary 2015 Melina Valdez) was selected for screening at the NY State Indie Film Festival in New York City on March 20. For more information about this festival, go to http://nysindie.com<http://nysindie.com/>.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the Gasparilla Film Festival in Tampa, March 20-25. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.gasparillafilmfestival.com<http://www.gasparillafilmfestival.com/>.

Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart) was selected for screening at the Fargo Film Festival in North Dakota, March 20-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.fargofilmfestival.org<http://www.fargofilmfestival.org/>.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 Yuecheng Liu) was selected for screening at the Warsaw Independent Film Festival in Poland on March 21. For more information about this festival, go to http://warsawfest.com<http://warsawfest.com/>.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) was selected for screening at the Independent Festival of Short Films on Culture & Tourism in Jaipur, Rajasthan, India, March 26-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.iffc.co.in<http://www.iffc.co.in/>.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at North Hollywood Cinefest, March 23-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.nohocinefest.com/

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) was selected as a semi-finalist for the monthly screening series NewFilmmakers Los Angeles. For more information about this series, go to www.newfilmmakersla.com.

Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart) and Ruckzuck (BFA Documentary 2017 Jacqueline Xerri) were selected for screening at the American Documentary Film Festival in Palm Springs, California, April 6-12. For more information about this festival, go to www.americandocumentaryfilmfestival.com.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Cleveland International Film Festival, April 4-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.clevelandfilm.org<http://www.clevelandfilm.org/>.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) and Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) are finalists in the Palm Beach International Film Festival Student Showcase of Films, to be held April 6. The winners will be announced at the showcase. For more information about this showcase, go to http://www.pbfilm.com/studentshowcaseoffilms.cfm.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the WideScreen Film & Video Festival in Miami, April 13-15. For more information about this festival, go to http://widescreenfest.com<http://widescreenfest.com/>.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the National Black Film Festival in Houston, April 4-8. For more information about this festival, go to http://nationalblackfilmfestival.com/.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) was selected for screening at the Through Women’s Eyes Film Festival, which runs as part of the Sarasota Film Festival, April 14-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.throughwomenseyes.com<http://www.throughwomenseyes.com/>.

The Stranger (MFA Thesis 2017 Katherine Oostman), Mama I Wanna March (MFA Thesis 2017 Malcolm Baity), Thump (BFA F3 2017 Ben Roth), Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart), If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) were awarded Best of Brouhaha at the Brouhaha Film & Video Showcase in Orlando, November 18-19, and will screen in a special sidebar at the Florida Film Festival, April 6-15. For more information about the Florida Film Festival, go to www.floridafilmfestival.com<http://www.floridafilmfestival.com/>

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 Yue Cheng Liu) was selected for screening at the Crossroads Film Festival in Jackson, Mississippi, April 12-15. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.crossroadsfilmfestival.com/.

Wilting (BFA Documentary 2017 Jessica Kirby) was selected for screening at the Boynton Beach Short Film Festival, April 17-22. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/events/366806640323030/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 Yuecheng Liu) was selected for screening at the Milledgeville + Eatonton Film Festival in Georgia, April 24-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.milledgevillefilmfest.com<http://www.milledgevillefilmfest.com/>.

Rally (MFA D1 2017 Wasly Castillo) was selected for screening at the Sunscreen Film Festival in St. Pete, April 26-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.sunscreenfilmfestival<http://www.sunscreenfilmfestival/>.com.

War Crimes (MFA D2 2016 Matthew Robinson) was selected for screening at Cinema Los Angeles, April 27-28, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://cinemalosangeles.com/.

Rigor Mortis (MFA Thesis 2017 Matthew Robinson) was selected for screening at the Horror Avenue Film Festival in Peoria, Illinois, April 27-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.horroravenuefest.com<http://www.horroravenuefest.com/>.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the NYC Short Documentary Film Festival on May 25. For more information about this festival, go to www.nycsdff.com.

Ms. Omniscience (MFA D2 2017 Xiao Ma) is an official selection and a Semi-Finalist in the Los Angeles Independent Film Festival Awards. Winners will screen In LA on August 25, 2018. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.laiffawards.com<http://www.laiffawards.com/>.