[Film-bfad1] [Film-BFA1] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 7.29.16

Warren, Meryl mwarren at fsu.edu
Fri Jul 29 11:29:11 EDT 2016

Big weekend at the Film School next week, with our Keylight Festival  celebrating the MFA 16 graduating class.   During the intimate 2-day festival we welcome back visiting alumni, screen alumni projects with Q&A’s, screen the students’ capstone projects.   Free and open to the public are the screenings of the thesis films.  On Saturday, August 6, at 2:30 PM in Ruby Diamond Auditorium, the following films will be screened:

Afternoon
Caretaker, directed by Christopher Nold
Each Coming Day, directed by Jennifer Silver
8 Bit Hero, directed by JohnRoss Hawkins
Scenes from a Funeral, directed by Jeremiah Bodner
Switch, directed by Persephonie Rose
Battle of the Brides, directed by Phillip Thomas
Murky Waters, directed by Carl T. Rogers
Sure-Fire, directed by Allison Izzo
The Koi, directed by Qiyu Zhou
Stutter, directed by  Ivo Huahua

On Saturday evening, at 8 PM these films will be screened.

Evening
Exposure, directed by Mary Jeanes
Flora, directed by Alexandrina Andre
Pandemonium, directed by Luis Mendez Jr.
Heavy Weight, directed by Jennifer Silver
Voice from the Page, directed by Andrea Branch
Interrogation, directed by Yuecheng Liu

No tickets required for either screening.

Please join us for an evening featuring films from FSU's 1st Year MFA Film Production students. These twenty-two shorts were made this summer and together provide an eclectic screening experience. This screening is free to the public.   Thursday, August 4 at 7 PM, Student Life Center.  No tickets required; overflow seating available.

>From Miles Kahn (BFA 97)  “My show, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee has been nominated for a Emmy for Best Writing in a Variety Show.  Also, we were nominated for a Television Critics Association award for best News/Information program.  Love to brag!”

>From Gina Papabeis (BFA08)  “Racing Extinction was also nominated for an Emmy for Exceptional Merit In Documentary Filmmaking! As Co-Producer I am still beaming.   And if Lauren Morelli and I can share a red carpet moment I will be over the moon :)”

>From James Ciccarello (BFA 03)  “I was nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award as part of the editing team for "Survivor." I'm very honored and excited to be a part of it again. Congrats to all of the other nominees!”

>From Oualid Mouaness (MFA 97)  “Happy and honored to have my most significant passion project selected to participate in No Borders.  “IFP, Filmmaker‘s parent organization, announced today the 120 feature film projects that will take place in its annual IFP Film Week, taking place September 17 – 22 for the first time in DUMBO, Brooklyn. Announced for the first time are the screenplays comprising the No Borders program, for projects seeking financing, and the doc works-in-progress seeking completion funds in Spotlight on Docs. They join the previously announced features in post-production from the IFP’s Narrative and Documentary Labs. Particularly noteworthy this year are the roster’s gender diversity states: 40% of the narrative directors and 60 % of the documentary directors are women.”  Read more at  http://filmmakermagazine.com/99323-ifp-announces-no-borders-spotlight-on-docs-feature-films-for-ifp-film-week/#.V5ntsKVjodt

>From Nick Zayas (BFA 06)  “The episode of MAJOR CRIMES that I wrote will air on Mon, Aug 1st at 10PM on TNT. I started as a Showrunner Asst 5 years ago, and worked my way up to staff writer this season. The episode is called "Moral Hazard" and is my first solo writing credit. Set your DVRs! “

> [...]

And a personal update from Nicole:  I have been editing full time in Atlanta for about 2 years now. I did commercials for a while for a boutique agency called Bark Bark (with clients such as Bravo, NatGeo, FYI, TLC, Discovery, and other channels like that). I moved on from there in April and have been with IMG live ever since. It's been great to finally be able to say I have my editing career in full swing. It is very hard to do in Atlanta. I have a friend I kind of mentor who is not an alum, but I try to help others as best as I can since I know how hard it is here. Let me know if you know people who need advice. I wouldn't be much help for helping with getting people on to movie sets, but I've assistant edited on reality TV for Oxygen as in addition to my commercial and corporate work here. “

We are presenting at UFVA’s Digital Innovation Conference, which takes place on Sunday, July 31st, 8:30am to 7:00pm at the Green Valley Resort Conference Center in Las Vegas - Estancia F and G room, located on second level of the Center.   We have a group of faculty who will at  the UFVA Convention in Las Vegas next week:   Frank Patterson, Reb Braddock, Victoria Meyer, Ron Honn and Jonathan Stone.  They are  presenting at UFVA’s Digital Innovation Conference, which takes place on Sunday, July 31st, 8:30am to 7:00pm at the Green Valley Resort Conference Center in Las Vegas - Estancia F and G room, located on second level of the Center.   Frank’s Keynote Address begins at 9:00am  The faculty is presenting SESSION 3: 11:00 am – 12:40 pm    Panel Topic: “Immersive Cinema: The emerging language, technology, business, and education of virtual reality storytelling”

Victoria Meyer: “Storytelling and the Language of Immersive Cinema
Ron Honn:“Developing a Technological Workflow for the Immersive Storyteller”
Jonathan Stone: “The Business of Immersive Cinema”
Frank Patterson: “Education and Immersive Cinema”
This panel uses a case study of industry professionals, educators, researchers, and students collaborating on a VR movie to explore how we tell and sell stories in immersive cinema. The panel examines how storytellers influence the language, technology, and business of immersive cinema and presents research findings about the opportunities and challenges for educators working in this space.

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – July 28, 2016

Wolf Spirit (BFA Thesis 2015 Chris Leary) was selected for screening at the Atlanta Underground Film Festival, August 19-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.auff.org<http://www.auff.org/>.

Amanda and the Hare (BFA Documentary 2015 Jared Hopkins/Emily Mills) was selected for screening and will be winning 4th Place in the Short Documentary category at the Indie Gathering International Film Festival in Hudson, Ohio, August 8-14. For more information about this festival, go to theindiegathering.com.

Because the Ceiling Split My Head in Two (BFA F1 2015 Livia Ohihoin) was selected for screening at the BronzeLens Film Festival in Atlanta, August 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.bronzelensfilmfestival.com.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) was selected for screening at Screamfest in Los Angeles, October 11-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com.

Hedge Hero (BFA Thesis 2016 Lauren Hammond) and Lasting Marks (BFAD Thesis 2015 Logan Shye) were selected for screening at the RYO Animation Showcase in Atlanta on July 28. For more information about this showcase, go to http://http://www.asifa-south.com/<http://http//www.asifa-south.com/>.

Wish Star (MFA D2 2015 Carl T. Rogers) was selected for screening and is a finalist at the Fantasmagorical Film Festival in Lexington, Kentucky, July 29-31. For more information about this festival, go to http://fandomfest.com/2015/01/fantasmagorical-film-festival/.

Built to Serve (BFAD Thesis 2015 Dylan Chase) and Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) were selected for screening at the Gen Con Indy Film Festival in Indianapolis, August 4-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.gencon.com.

Lola the Great (BFA Thesis 2015 Lydia Dullinger), Built to Serve (BFAD Thesis 2015 Dylan Chase), Mystery Jones! Back in Business (BFA Thesis 2015 Paul Ramsdell), Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab), For the Record (BFA F3 2016 Justin Burt) were selected for screening at the Tampa Bay Comic Con Film Festival, August 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to http://tampabaycomiccon.com/convention-events/.

Byroad (BFA Thesis 2014 Raymond Calderon) was selected for screening at the Marietta International Film Festival in Atlanta on August 6. It was also nominated for Best US Short, Best Lead in a Short Film, Best Direction in a Short Film, Best Cinematography in a Short Film and Best Writing in a Short Film. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.marietta-film-festival.org/.

The Monsters Around Us (BFA Thesis 2015 Aileen Carpenter) was selected for screening at HollyShorts in Los Angeles, August 11-20. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.hollyshorts.com<http://www.hollyshorts.com/>.

Thank You for the Music (MFA Thesis 2015 Spencer Frankeburger) and Reversed (MFA D2 2015 Drina Andre) were selected for screening at the WNY Film, Art, and Music Event (FAME) in Batavia, New York, August 12-14. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.beaveralleystudios.com/fame.html.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was invited to screen at the Popcorn Frights Film Festival in Miami, August 12-18. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.popcornfrights.com/.

About James (MFA D2 2015 Christopher Nold) was selected for screening at the Kaleidoscope LGBT Film Festival in Little Rock, Arkansas, August 18-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.kaleidoscopefilmestival.com<http://www.kaleidoscopefilmestival.com/>.

Diana Flynn and the Sword of Sir Morris (MFA D2 2015 Phillip Thomas) was selected for screening at the inaugural Action Packed Film Festival, August 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/actionpackedfilmfestival.

Reversed (MFA D2 2015 Drina Andre) and Super Chef (MFA Thesis 2015 Rochelle Rose) were selected for screening at the BronzeLens Film Festival in Atlanta, August 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.bronzelensfilmfestival.com.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin), Rehearsal (MFA D2 2015 Jennifer Silver), and Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) were selected for screening at Sidewalk Film Festival in Birmingham, Alabama, August 26-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://sidewalkfest.com<http://sidewalkfest.com/>.

Still Life (MFA F1 2015 Gabe Valbuena), My Girl Rose (MFA Thesis 2014 Jordan Lewis), You Won’t Believe What Happens Next (MFA F1 2015 Arielle Heiman) and Rehearsal (MFA D2 2054 Jennifer Silver) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival in Orlando, September 2-4. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin), Manic Pixie Dream Grind (MFA D1 2015 Ariella Yashar), You Won’t Believe What Happens Next (MFA F1 2015 Arielle Heiman)  and Built to Serve (BFAD Thesis 2015 Dylan Chase) were selected for screening at the Dragon Con Independent Film Festival in Atlanta, September 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmfest.dragoncon.org<http://www.filmfest.dragoncon.org/>.

When Things Are Shitty (BFA Documentary 2015 Justin Sadler) was selected for screening at the inaugural Inspired Minds Short Film and Screenplay Competition in Sarasota on September 10. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.inspiredmindsfilms.com<http://www.inspiredmindsfilms.com/>.

Cootie Contagion (BFA Thesis 2012 Josh Smooha), Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin), Patches (BFA F3 2015 Kat Burnette) and Isa and the Frog Prince (MFA Thesis 2015 Yingxiang Huang) were selected for screening at the Burbank International Film Festival, September 7-11. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.burbankfilmfest.org/.

Queens (MFA D1 2015 Lucas Omar) was selected for screening at the Austin Gay and Lesbian International Film Festival (AGLIFF), September 8-11. For more information about this festival, go to agliff.org.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was invited to screen at the Rome International Film Festival in Georgia, September 15-18. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.romeinternationalfilmfestival.com/.

Built to Serve (BFAD Thesis 2015 Dylan Chase) was selected for screening at DC Shorts, September 8-18. For more information about this festival, go to www.dcshorts.com<http://www.dcshorts.com/>.

Hush (MFA Thesis 2015 Whitney Clinkscales) was selected for screening at the Depth of Field International Film Festival, an online festival on September 19. For more information about this festival, go to http://dofiff.com<http://dofiff.com/>.

Rehearsal (MFA D2 2015 Jennifer Silver) was selected for screening at the Austin Revolution Film Festival, September 21-24. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolutionfilmfest.wordpress.com<https://austinrevolutionfilmfest.wordpress.com/>.

Hush (MFA Thesis 2015 Whitney Clinkscales) was selected for screening at the UrbanWorld film festival in New York City, September 21-25. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.urbanworld.org<http://www.urbanworld.org/>.

Emma Inspired (BFA Thesis 2015 Nicole Machon/Jamie Rice) and Set in Stone (BFA Thesis 2015 Chloe Lind) were selected for screening in the late summer or early fall screening of the Iron Mule Short Comedy Screening Series in New York City. For more information about this series, go to www.ironmulenyc.com<http://www.ironmulenyc.com/>.

Finless (BFA Documentary 2015 Gabe Souza) was invited to screen at the Portuguese Surf Film Festival in Ericeira, Europe’s world surfing reserve, sometime in the near future. For more information about this festival, go to http://portuguesesurffilmfestival.com/#ericeira.

Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) was selected for screening at the Hyperdrive Sci-Fi & Fantasy Independent Film Festival in Hailsham, England in October. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.hyperdrivefestival.com/.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was invited to screen at the Idaho Horror Film Festival in Boise, October 13-15. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.idahohorrorfilmfestival.org/.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was selected for screening at the Killer Valley Horror Film Festival in Ashland, Oregon, possibly on October 15. For more information about this festival, go to http://killervalleyhorrorfilmfestival.com/.

--
Meryl Warren, Director of Alumni
College of Motion Picture Arts