[Film-bfad1] [Film-BFA1] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 7.7.16

Warren, Meryl mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Jul 7 15:00:44 EDT 2016

Welcome back to the Film School campus to Amy Vincent, ASC, who is here to do the ASC workshops for the BFA’s who will be shooting their thesis films in the Fall!.  Amy will be starting production on a new TV Pilot, Claws, which will shoot in New Orleans in September.

>From Michael Lockridge (BFA  05)  “I wanted to reach out and share some news that I movie that I co-DP’d is getting a limited release in theaters today and being released on VOD everywhere today.  The movie is called Buddymoon and although I was the only FSU grad on the film I thought you might be interested.  We are all very excited as it is now featured in the new and noteworthy section of iTunes as well as carrying an 80% on rotten tomatoes.”

>From Stephen Beaumont (MFA 94 )  "I was recently promoted to Director of Studio Operations at EWTN, the largest Religious Broadcaster in the world.  I am currently directing an all-new musical children's program called "Massterpiece Donut Shop" starring Rob Evans (a.k.a. The Donut Man).  This series is expected to premiere sometime in 2017.  I've also produced 7 seasons of "G.K. Chesterton: Apostle of Common Sense" which airs on EWTN Sundays at 2:30pm Eastern Time.   EWTN is available on Satellite, Cable, Roku, the EWTN app, as well as live and on-demand streaming at ewtn.com"

So sorry to report that Alan Stewart, who taught editing in our MFA program, passed away.  This is his daughter Shauna’s message from Facebook:  From Shauna Stewart<https://www.facebook.com/shaunanana>: I'm sad to say that Alan passed away yesterday morning at our home in Sherman Oaks. I think we all know the quiet and profound impact that he had on his friends spanning many decades. If you'd like to send condolences you can direct them to his mother's home where we will be gathering to remember him at a later time. Her mailing address is: 925 N. 22nd St, Waco, TX 76707. We are still working on the details of memorials in both Los Angeles and Waco and will let you know, if you would like to attend. Alan sponsored two children with Children International for many years, so in lieu of flowers you can also donate or sponsor a child with Children International, or donate to http://together.pgatour.com/<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Ftogether.pgatour.com%2F&h=vAQEksGFPAQE6LQ41Wss58vIFKBWGofcaFxXXiYSsjs8XVQ&enc=AZOx8GPbi1VxD8y_vlbXUqI2OZLRVjbmxMs99eUNKCKNsoRnTuRMRchVE1me0KDuJOzPHCQOnymsCLv2cCxfk5Y-DJ8PCzxu6Jq1vIFw-EsSLP3n2qRLohOV2Hl-3QZMycSaTXLnccetX9DnSLtAQ9tZXWEG34BugIVox18242gcHIRD4fi9-r0ODcH6sc66ZVc&s=1>  We were lucky to have him as our father, and we'd love to hear any memories of him his friends and family would like to share

And would like to share a tribute to Alan from Tom Roush (MFA 94)  ”I was very saddened to hear today of the passing of Alan Stewart. He was one of my teachers at FSU and over the 23 years we knew each other, he was a valued friend and often, a trusted advisor and confidante. He told me many great stories, funny jokes, and tragic episodes from his own life, all of which I remember very well and fondly. He was often encouraging and helpful in my development as a father. He talked to me when I was down, and I felt better. He knew disappointment, but he knew things get better when you work at a problem. We had many philosophical conversations, about church, about religion, about his own upbringing, and life and love and relationships and movies and so many other things. He was the father of five kids, all of whom knew him well. He was very passionate about them and spoke of them to me, and made observations and predictions. Clearly, he loved them deeply. He was accomplished at his job and people who met him remembered him. I will miss Alan greatly, but if he was here, he'd smile and tell me to suck it up and carry on. And, I would, and will. I was fortunate to know have known him and grateful for what he gave me.”
>From Carrie Hunter (BFA 09)  “A family friendly short film I directed called The Halloween Spirit was selected from over 2000 applicants into the ScareLA festival.  We shot it in Northwest, FL with local talent and the help of the excellent film commissioner in Destin, Gail Morgan who happens to also be a FSU alumni.  Niraj Trivedi (BFA 06) also helped light some of the scenes in the film.  For those interested in getting tickets use the code: scarescreen for 20% off General Admission, Fear Freak, Scare Student, and Party Tickets.
Website with times: http://2016.scarela.com/…/halloween-treats-spooky-faire-fo…/<http://2016.scarela.com/the_events/halloween-treats-spooky-faire-for-the-whole-family/>

Hey, Everyone!  David Willis (BFA 2015), here. I've just written a new psychological thriller called The Courier. Its logline is: "The quiet life of a restaurant manager is turned upside down in bizarre and violent ways after agreeing to act as courier for a mysterious businessman in search of three antiques that might or might not bring about the end of the world". If you're interested in reading my script, you can contact me at davidawillis15 at gmail.com<mailto:davidawillis15 at gmail.com>. I'd love to send it to you.”

>From Neil butler (BFA  95)  “We just posted a trailer for the feature I co-wrote/co-directed together with Jason Chimonides. We shot the entire film in and around the Tallahassee area with a lot of old skool FSU Film and Theater alums. Pat McDonnell (BFA ’97) shot it and Don Guarisco (BFA ’96) and Rene Otero (BFA ’94) helped produce with the support of several familiar faces.  https://youtu.be/GWL_g_MTNOE The movie is an indie rock musical of sorts with a ton of songs and performances threaded throughout. The soundtrack album is up on Bandcamp and we have plans to release on other platforms in the coming weeks including a physical cassette (you know, for kids). Fans of synthpop and 80’s alternative music should find something fun here (perhaps a bit painfully nostalgic even)…https://hubcaphouse.bandcamp.com<https://hubcaphouse.bandcamp.com/>  Connect with us on Facebook for updates as we complete the final post-production details and announce a premiere later this year: https://www.facebook.com/LewisAndKlarq

Jamie M. Fox (FSU BA 00) is currently producing a short film dealing with the underground world of the Occult.   DPs and Production Sound Mixers interested please contact her directly for more information. fox.jamie.fox1 at gmail.com<mailto:fox.jamie.fox1 at gmail.com>.

>From Aimee Barth Dirksen (BFA 01)  “We have two open positions in my department at Fullscreen that I wanted to share, in case any FSU alum are interested and I can put in a good word!

1) Coordinator, Programming
https://jobs.lever.co/fullscreen/fa7b36b4-baa0-4875-9f1f-a989bcb15e08
2) Media Coordinator
https://jobs.lever.co/fullscreen/0fb3f499-6b6a-4e22-9113-c96233d8a63f

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – July 7, 2016

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) won two Platinum Remi Awards, for Best Suspense/Thriller Short Film and for Best Student Film & Video Production at the Houston International Independent Film Festival (Worldfest Houston), April 8-17. For more information about this festival, go to https://worldfest.org/.

Cootie Contagion (BFA Thesis 2012 Josh Smooha), Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) and Isa and the Frog Prince (MFA Thesis 2015 Yingxiang Huang) were selected for screening at the Burbank International Film Festival, September 7-11. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.burbankfilmfest.org/.

Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) was selected for screening at the Hyperdrive Sci-Fi & Fantasy Independent Film Festival in Hailsham, England in October. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.hyperdrivefestival.com/.

About James (MFA D2 2015 Christopher Nold) was selected for screening at the Kaleidoscope LGBT Film Festival in Little Rock, Arkansas, August 18-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.kaleidoscopefilmestival.com<http://www.kaleidoscopefilmestival.com/>.

Escape (BFA Thesis 2015 Twinkle Agarwal) was selected for screening at the California Women’s Film Festival, July 15-17 in North Hollywood. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.calwomensfest.com/Home.html.

Hedge Hero (BFA Thesis 2016 Lauren Hammond) was selected for screening at the RYO Animation Showcase in Atlanta on July 28. For more information about this showcase, go to http://http://www.asifa-south.com/<http://http//www.asifa-south.com/>.

Lola the Great (BFA Thesis 2015 Lydia Dullinger), Built to Serve (BFAD Thesis 2015 Dylan Chase), Mystery Jones! Back in Business (BFA Thesis 2015 Paul Ramsdell), Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab), For the Record (BFA F3 2016 Justin Burt) were selected for screening at the Tampa Bay Comic Con Film Festival, August 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to http://tampabaycomiccon.com/convention-events/.

Set in Stone (BFA Thesis 2015 Chloe Lind) was selected for screening in the late summer or early fall screening of the Iron Mule Short Comedy Screening Series in New York City. For more information about this series, go to www.ironmulenyc.com<http://www.ironmulenyc.com/>.

Wan Mei (MFA Thesis 2015 Yiyi Yin) was selected for screening at the Dragon Con Independent Film Festival in Atlanta, September 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmfest.dragoncon.org<http://www.filmfest.dragoncon.org/>.

Whatever We Want To Be (MFA Thesis 2014 Stephanie Williams) was invited to screen at the Rio Gender & Sexuality Film Festival in Brazil, July 8-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.riofgc.com.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was selected for screening at the Atlanta Shortsfest, July 15-16. For more information about this festival, go to www.atlantashortsfest.com<http://www.atlantashortsfest.com/>.

Finless (BFA Documentary 2015 Gabe Souza) was selected for screening at the San Francisco Frozen Film Festival, July 21-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.frozenfilmfestival.com.

My Girl Rose (MFA Thesis 2014 Jordan Lewis) was selected for screening and is a Finalist in the Student Narrative Contest at the March on Washington Film Festival in the nation’s capital, July 13-23. For more information about this festival, go to http://marchonwashingtonfilmfestival.org/.

Built to Serve (BFAD Thesis 2015 Dylan Chase) and Lola the Great (BFA Thesis 2015 Lydia Dullinger) were selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 21-24. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.comic-con.org<http://www.comic-con.org/>.

Hollow (BFA Thesis 2015 Kat Barnette) was selected for screening at the SoCal Clips Indie Film Fest in Pasadena, July 22-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.socalciff.com.

Wish Star (MFA D2 2015 Carl T. Rogers) was selected for screening at the Fantasmagorical Film Festival in Lexington, Kentucky, July 29-31. For more information about this festival, go to http://fandomfest.com/2015/01/fantasmagorical-film-festival/.

Built to Serve (BFAD Thesis 2015 Dylan Chase) and Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) were selected for screening at the Gen Con Indy Film Festival in Indianapolis, August 4-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.gencon.com.

Byroad (BFA Thesis 2014 Raymond Calderon) was selected for screening at the Marietta International Film Festival in Atlanta on August 6. It was also nominated for Best US Short, Best Lead in a Short Film, Best Direction in a Short Film, Best Cinematography in a Short Film and Best Writing in a Short Film. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.marietta-film-festival.org/.

Thank You for the Music (MFA Thesis 2015 Spencer Frankeburger) and Reversed (MFA D2 2015 Drina Andre) were selected for screening at the WNY Film, Art, and Music Event (FAME) in Batavia, New York, August 12-14. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.beaveralleystudios.com/fame.html.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was invited to screen at the Popcorn Frights Film Festival in Miami, August 12-18. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.popcornfrights.com/.

Diana Flynn and the Sword of Sir Morris (MFA D2 2015 Phillip Thomas) was selected for screening at the inaugural Action Packed Film Festival, August 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/actionpackedfilmfestival.

Manic Pixie Dream Grind (MFA D1 2015 Ariella Yashar) was selected for screening at the Dragon Con Independent Film Festival in Atlanta, September 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmfest.dragoncon.org<http://www.filmfest.dragoncon.org/>

Still Life (MFA F1 2015 Gabe Valbuena), My Girl Rose (MFA Thesis 2014 Jordan Lewis), You Won’t Believe What Happens Next (MFA F1 2015 Arielle Heiman) and Rehearsal (MFA D2 2054 Jennifer Silver) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival in Orlando, September 2-4. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com.

Hush (MFA Thesis 2015 Whitney Clinkscales) was selected for screening at the Depth of Field International Film Festival, an online festival on September 19. For more information about this festival, go to http://dofiff.com<http://dofiff.com/>.

Rehearsal (MFA D2 2015 Jennifer Silver) was selected for screening at the Austin Revolution Film Festival, September 21-24. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolutionfilmfest.wordpress.com<https://austinrevolutionfilmfest.wordpress.com/>.

Emma Inspired (BFA Thesis 2015 Nicole Machon/Jamie Rice) was selected for screening in the late summer or early fall screening of the Iron Mule Short Comedy Screening Series in New York City. For more information about this series, go to www.ironmulenyc.com<http://www.ironmulenyc.com/>.

Finless (BFA Documentary 2015 Gabe Souza) was invited to screen at the Portuguese Surf Film Festival in Ericeira, Europe’s world surfing reserve, sometime in the near future. For more information about this festival, go to http://portuguesesurffilmfestival.com/#ericeira.
--
Meryl Warren, Director of Alumni
College of Motion Picture Arts