[Film-bfad1] [Film-BFA1] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 7.1.16

Warren, Meryl mwarren at fsu.edu
Fri Jul 1 12:51:06 EDT 2016

Congratulations to Susan Shackelford Dawes (MFA 93) and to Victor Nunez (Film School faculty member), both of whom have been invited to join the Motion Picture  Academy!   Susan says”  Today, I was invited to join the Motion Picture Academy as a member of the Sound Branch. Yay! It's an honor and professional achievement to be granted membership by my peers. Thanks to the folks at FSU who started me down this road! In 1993, I learned to use the film school's first ProTools (v2.5, back then) on my MFA thesis film 'Bathing Beauty,' and 23 years later, I'm still using ProTools (v12.5) today, but moreover, I simply enjoyed filmmaking back then and still enjoy it all now. I'm grateful, proud, and very happy!  :-)”

Great article in the Tallahassee Democrat, June 27, 2016 about Kenneth Jones (MFA 91).   He is stepping down after 30 years as “The Voice of Bragg”.  You can read the article at http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/famu/2016/06/26/kenneth-jones-steps-years-voice-bragg/86416556/

Just ran across this List of Film Grants for Women:   http://www.filmdaily.tv/blog/grants/list-film-grants-women

>From Ryan Kuo “My friend who works at Mattel is looking for a PM who can speak Madarin.  If interested, they can contact Vera at 310.252.6657 or vera.hourani at mattel.com<mailto:vera.hourani at mattel.com>”    NOTE:  If you’d like the complete job description, reply to this Warren report email and I’ll send it to you.

>From Matt Sanders (MFA 10)   “ JOB OPP - Directors's Assistant (part time to full time)  Successful commercial director is looking for an assistant to help with research, day-to-day activities and on-set help. Great position for someone who is both creative and eager to gain more advertising/production experience. Must be based in Los Angeles, CA. Please send resumes to Matt at mjz.com<mailto:Matt at mjz.com> “

The Warren Report is coming to you today from Oklahoma City, OK, where my husband and his two sisters and I are attending the pinning ceremony for our nephew who will now be Airforce Colonel Warren! Lovely ceremony and fun times with family and friends!

Have a safe and wonderful 4th of July!

And the Festival Update is coming to you from Camden, Maine where Brenda and her husband are vacationing!   Via I-Pad, so forgive the formatting.

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – June 30, 2016

Thank You for the Music (MFA Thesis 2015 Spencer Frankeburger) and Reversed (MFA D2 2015 Drina Andre) were selected for screening at the WNY Film, Art, and Music Event (FAME) in Batavia, New York, August 12-14. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.beaveralleystudios.com/fame.html.

About James (MFA D2 2015 Chris Nold) was selected for screening at Out Here Now, the Kansas City LGBT Film Festival, June 23-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.outherenow.com<http://www.outherenow.com/>.

Emma Inspired (BFA Thesis 2015 Nicole Machon/Jamie Rice) was selected for screening at the Hudson Valley Comedy Festival in Kingston and Saugerties, New York, June 30 – July 2. For more information about this festival, go to www.hudsonvalleycomedy.com<http://www.hudsonvalleycomedy.com/>.

Flying High (BFA FD3 2015 Christian Klein), Lola the Great (BFA Thesis 2015 Lydia Dullinger), The Fantastic Death of Barry Schmidt (BFAD Thesis 2015 Zach Hardy/Kyla Trull), Mystery Jones! Back in Business (BFA Thesis 2015 Paul Ramsdell), Flashback (BFA DF3 2014 Collin Lockett) and You Won’t Believe What Happens Next (BFA F1 2015 Arielle Cole) were selected for screening at Super Geek Film Festival at Florida Supercon in South Florida, July 1-4. For more information about this festival, go to www.geekfilmfest.com<http://www.geekfilmfest.com/>.

Whatever We Want To Be (MFA Thesis 2014 Stephanie Williams) was invited to screen at the Rio Gender & Sexuality Film Festival in Brazil, July 8-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.riofgc.com<http://www.riofgc.com/>.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was selected for screening at the Atlanta Shortsfest, July 15-16. For more information about this festival, go to www.atlantashortsfest.com<http://www.atlantashortsfest.com/>.

Finless (BFA Documentary 2015 Gabe Souza) was selected for screening at the San Francisco Frozen Film Festival, July 21-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.frozenfilmfestival.com<http://www.frozenfilmfestival.com/>.

My Girl Rose (MFA Thesis 2014 Jordan Lewis) was selected for screening and is a Finalist in the Student Narrative Contest at the March on Washington Film Festival in the nation’s capital, July 13-23. For more information about this festival, go to http://marchonwashingtonfilmfestival.org/.

Built to Serve (BFAD Thesis 2015 Dylan Chase) and Lola the Great (BFA Thesis 2015 Lydia Dullinger) were selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 21-24. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.comic-con.org<http://www.comic-con.org/>.

Hollow (BFA Thesis 2015 Kat Barnette) was selected for screening at the SoCal Clips Indie Film Fest in Pasadena, July 22-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.socalciff.com<http://www.socalciff.com/>.

Wish Star (MFA D2 2015 Carl T. Rogers) was selected for screening at the Fantasmagorical Film Festival in Lexington, Kentucky, July 29-31. For more information about this festival, go to http://fandomfest.com/2015/01/fantasmagorical-film-festival/.

Built to Serve (BFAD Thesis 2015 Dylan Chase) and Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) were selected for screening at the Gen Con Indy Film Festival in Indianapolis, August 4-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.gencon.com<http://www.gencon.com/>.

Byroad (BFA Thesis 2014 Raymond Calderon) was selected for screening at the Marietta International Film Festival in Atlanta on August 6. It was also nominated for Best US Short, Best Lead in a Short Film, Best Direction in a Short Film, Best Cinematography in a Short Film and Best Writing in a Short Film. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.marietta-film-festival.org/.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was invited to screen at the Popcorn Frights Film Festival in Miami, August 12-18. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.popcornfrights.com/.

Diana Flynn and the Sword of Sir Morris (MFA D2 2015 Phillip Thomas) was selected for screening at the inaugural Action Packed Film Festival, August 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/actionpackedfilmfestival.

Manic Pixie Dream Grind (MFA D1 2015 Ariella Yashar) was selected for screening at the Dragon Con Independent Film Festival in Atlanta, September 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmfest.dragoncon.org<http://www.filmfest.dragoncon.org/>
Still Life (MFA F1 2015 Gabe Valbuena), My Girl Rose (MFA Thesis 2014 Jordan Lewis), You Won’t Believe What Happens Next (MFA F1 2015 Arielle Heiman) and Rehearsal (MFA D2 2054 Jennifer Silver) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival in Orlando, September 2-4. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/>.

Hush (MFA Thesis 2015 Whitney Clinkscales) was selected for screening at the Depth of Field International Film Festival, an online festival on September 19. For more information about this festival, go to http://dofiff.com<http://dofiff.com/>.

Rehearsal (MFA D2 2015 Jennifer Silver) was selected for screening at the Austin Revolution Film Festival, September 21-24. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolutionfilmfest.wordpress.com<https://austinrevolutionfilmfest.wordpress.com/>.

Emma Inspired (BFA Thesis 2015 Nicole Machon/Jamie Rice) was selected for screening in the late summer or early fall screening of the Iron Mule Short Comedy Screening Series in New York City. For more information about this series, go to www.ironmulenyc.com<http://www.ironmulenyc.com/>.

Finless (BFA Documentary 2015 Gabe Souza) was invited to screen at the Portuguese Surf Film Festival in Ericeira, Europe’s world surfing reserve, sometime in the near future. For more information about this festival, go to http://portuguesesurffilmfestival.com/#ericeira.
--
Meryl Warren, Director of Alumni
College of Motion Picture Arts