[Film-bfad1] Script submission stats

Syder, Andrew asyder at admin.fsu.edu
Fri Jul 1 09:42:16 EDT 2016

Hey guys,

I’m still not seeing any improvement in how the class is submitting scripts. It’s been all over the map again, even after Jason and I spoke about it in class and gave you clear, written instructions.

I ran the numbers, and here’s what I got:

  *   Scripts submitted on time: 78%
  *   Scripts with correct title page info: 39%
  *   Scripts with a correct file name: 46%

This is really quite poor. The only group that performed well was Group 3, which had an almost perfect score, except for the title page on Episode 7. This means the other groups performed even lower than the overall percentages listed above.

This kind of delivery is a core component of professionalism.

These are the basics that you have to get right, otherwise you send a message that you’re not detail-oriented and you’re not going to reliably deliver work. If a development executive sees a spelling error on the title page of a script, they are going to form a negative opinion of you as a writer and they are going to be less inclined to read your script seriously because you’ve already lost their confidence. If a filename has even just one character out of place, it can break the entire pipeline during post-production.

These things matter.

Time to pick up your game!

Andrew