[Film-bfad1] [Film-bfad] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 12.30.16

Warren, Meryl mwarren at fsu.edu
Fri Dec 30 09:45:59 EST 2016

‘Moonlight’ Could Make History: Editors Joi McMillon (BFA 03) and Nat Sanders  (BFA 02) On Their Big Step Up  Consider This  McMillon would be the first African American woman to land an Oscar nomination for editing. She didn't get this far overnight.  Read the IndieWire story at http://www.indiewire.com/2016/12/moonlight-editors-joi-mcmillon-nat-sanders-oscar-consider-this-1201761052/

The Executive Director of IFP, in her letter to solicit new members started with this statement:   “In recent days, the words of filmmaker Barry Jenkins (BFA 03)  keep echoing inside me, words he spoke from the podium after his film, Moonlight, won Best Feature at the IFP Gotham Independent Film Awards earlier this month - These are very tough times, and all of us in this room, we create stories...right now, in this moment, they're needed more than they've ever been. We need independent storytellers now more than ever. We need them to lift the voices of the marginalized - voices of people of color, of women, of religious minorities, of immigrants, of the LGBTQ community and so many others. These voices are our barometers of justice and progress. We need them and can't afford to stay silent.”

Oualid Mouaness’ (MFA  97)    The Rifle, The Jackal, The Wolf And The Boy<https://www.facebook.com/RIFLEFILM/> made it to the shortlist of 10 -#Oscars<https://www.facebook.com/topic/Academy-Awards/107367039292976?source=whr&story_id=10153967172232097> #Shortlist<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/shortlist?source=feed_text&story_id=10153967172232097> The Rifle, The Jackal, The Wolf And The Boy is on the #oscars shortlist of top 10 films to compete for the five slots.    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/

Writer Producer Melissa Carter (MFA 96) has signed a multi-year overall deal with Warner Horizon Television<http://deadline.com/tag/warner-horizon-television/>. Under the pact, Carter will develop new scripted programming for cable and streaming services at the studio, a division of Warner Bros. TV.   Read the deadline article at  http://deadline.com/2016/12/melissa-carter-overall-deal-warner-horizon-television-1201863231/

>From Michael Culyba (MFA  98)   “the latest film I edited, This is Everything: Gigi Gorgeous, will be premiering at the Sundance Film Festival on January 24th (with other screenings throughout the festival). http://www.sundance.org/blogs/news/premieres-spotlight-midnight-kids-documentary-premieres-and-special-events-announced-for-2017-festival  This Is Everything: Gigi Gorgeous / U.S.A. (Director: Barbara Kopple) — A groundbreaking film that portrays the journey of Gigi Lazzarato, a fearless woman who began life as Gregory, posting fashion videos to YouTube from his bedroom, only to later come out as a transgender female. With never-before-seen personal footage, the film spotlights a family’s unwavering love for a child. World Premiere

Congratulations to Alexandrina Andre (MFA 16) who has a new position as a Screenwriter at Archer Entertainment Group!

>From Whitney Clinkscales (MFA 15)  “Yesterday I got my first press exclusive with Entertainment Tonight on an episode of a BTS series I produced for ABC.com, which promotes the upcoming Christmas Special!
ET Exclusive
http://www.etonline.com/media/video/exclusive_julianne_hough_gives_a_behind_the_scenes_look_at_disney_magical_christmas_celebration-205595/
ABC.com
http://abc.go.com/shows/the-disney-parks-magical-christmas-celebration/video/most-recent/VDKA3600675?rfr=ramp
Here is the first episode of the series, which aired before Thanksgiving:
ABC.com
http://abc.go.com/shows/the-wonderful-world-of-disney-magical-holiday-celebration/video/most-recent/VDKA3542644

>From Nicole Dial (FSU Alum) “I'll be wrapping up my time at Dreamworks Animation soon. January 19th to be exact. Though I'm sad to see my time at DWA coming to a close, I'm beyond grateful for the opportunity I've had to expand beyond production and into a recruiting & university relations role. I'm still figuring out what's next and I'd love to continue growing into a program manager role at another studio or perhaps even in the tech space. Here's a link to my LinkedIn profile<https://www.linkedin.com/in/dialnicole> and my professional site, nicoledial.work<http://nicoledial.work/>.”

“ASC Master Class Enrollment is now open for the first three ASC Master Class sessions in 2017, each of which will be held in Hollywood. Sign up now for: March 6-10, May 15-19, June 12-16   Designed for cinematographers with an intermediate-to-advanced skill set, the Master Class provides practical, hands-on demonstrations of lighting and camera techniques, essential instruction in current workflow practices, and informed analysis of feature films. Don’t miss your chance to learn from the best — click here<http://com.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=480fdd20fed67a1a78287fbf4&id=7abab316a5&e=0598a9cd1f> to reserve your seat today!”

>From Jodie Myers  (BFA 97)  “short term rental of entire apartment (minus my room) from March 1st-May 31st (with flexible dates)  http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/sub/5916750734.html

This was a post from Cameron Friend Campbell on the FSU in LA Facebook page:  “I am going back to the home land to start the documentary of Rachel Hoffman.  Rachel made headlines after she was murdered during a botched drug bust as a confidential informant. I will be in Tallahassee on the 13,14,15 of January collecting an interview with the attorney responsible for the 2.5 million dollar Settlement. He has stage four cancer and this may be the last opportunity to get him on film. Can someone recommend a way to get in touch with current film students interested in helping. Mostly I'll need lighting equipment.”  You can reply to him through the FSU in LA facebook page.

>From Pundico;  “Like any good artist (we use the term loosely), we here at Pundico are working on our range. A few recent, polar opposite examples...Appreciate any feedback from the peanut gallery! In its latest episode of Nacho Mama's News Service, Pundico tackles the recent near collapse of Aleppo, Syria and the plight of its residents. Human rights pundico, the Ghost of Eleanor Roosevelt provides some perspective. Warning: graphic images...though we hope you watch anyway.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7nFQ-u2pdWk    Caught up in the spirit of things, Pundico is sharing some satirical joy with this latest Pundico Ho Ho Video Short: Season's Christmas and Merry Greetings to each and every one of you!   https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m7DSNKBsnyM

Wishing you safe and wonderful 2017!

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – December 29, 2016

Hush (MFA Thesis 2015 Whitney Clinkscales), How I Killed Pistol Rogers (MFA Thesis 2015 Ashlea Patterson), The Gypsy (BFA Documentary 2016 Gabriel Valbuena), and David (BFA Thesis 2065 William Mauer), Miles Away (BFA Thesis 2015 Corey Crumpacker) and Soleil (BFA Documentary 2016 Erik Kallin) were invited to screen at the St. Augustine Film Festival on January 21. For more information about this festival, go to www.fliff.com.

Pigskin (BFA Thesis 2015 Jake Hammond/Nicola Newton) was selected for screening at the Nevermore Film Festival in Durham, North Carolina, February 24-26. For more information about this festival, go to www.carolinatheatre.org/nevermore.

Finless (BFA Documentary 2015 Gabe Souza) was selected for screening at the Love Your Shorts Film Festival in Sanford, Florida, February 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to www.loveyourshorts.com.

Spin Cycle (MFA D2 2106 Janeen Talbot) was selected for screening at the Bill Johnson Black Film Festival in Gary, Indiana on February 17. For more information about this festival, go to http://glentheater.wixsite.com/billjohnsonfilm.

Thank You for the Music (MFA Thesis 2015 Spencer Frankeberger) was selected for the Hollywood Verge Film Awards. For more information about this festival, go to http://derek7828.wixsite.com/hollywoodverge-1.

A Jingle A Go-Go (MFA D2 2014 Spencer Frankeberger) was selected for screening at the Rock 'n' Roll Film Festival, Kenya, in Nairobi, Kenya. For more information about this festival, go to http://kenyarockfilmfestivaljournal.blogspot.com/.

The Goat on the Roof (BFA Documentary 2016 Erin Smyth) has been selected for screening at the San Francisco Independent Film Festival, February 4-13. For more information about this festival, go to http://sfindie.com/.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) is an Official Selection of the Hollywood Independent Film Festival Awards. The awards ceremony takes place on January 7. For more information about this competition, go to http://himpff.com<http://himpff.com/>.

Before You Know It (BFA F3 2016 Courtney Ross) was selected for screening at the Atlanta Independent Film Festival, January 5-28. For more information about this festival, go to atlindiefilmfest.com.

Stutter (MFA Thesis 2016 Ivo Huahua) was selected for screening in January at the Festival for Family: Family Film & Writing Festival, an online festival. For more information about this festival, go to https://festivalforfamily.com/

Finless (BFA Documentary 2015 Gabe Souza) and Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) were selected for screening at the Flagler Film Festival in St. Augustine, Florida, January 13-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.flaglerfilmfestival.com<http://www.flaglerfilmfestival.com/>.

Cosmic Static (BFA F3 2016 Justin Sadler) was selected for screening at the Miami International Science Fiction Film Festival, January 13-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.miscifi.com.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the Black Hollywood African American Marketplace and S.E. Manly Short Film Showcase in Los Angeles, January 13-15. For more information about this showcase, go to www.bherc.org.

Spin Cycle (MFA D2 2106 Janeen Talbot) was selected for screening at the Deltas of Charlotte Foundation Legacy of Black Women Film Showcase on January 13. For more information about this showcase, go to http://www.carolinatix.org/events/detail/14th-legacy-of-black-women-film-showcase.

A Surprise (MFA D1 2015 Yi Tao), Veiled (MFA D2 2016 Rika Bhakta), Marianne (MFA D2 2016 Yu Ying Chien) Concessions (MFA D2 2016 Sam Bartz) and Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) are official selections of Los Angeles CineFest, an online festival, January 14-15. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.lacinefest.org/.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the Tally Shorts Film Festival in Tallahassee, January 20-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.tallyshorts.com.

Super Chef (MFA Thesis 2015 Rochelle Rose) was selected for screening at the Children’s Film Festival Seattle, January 26 – February 11. For more information about this festival, go to www.childrensfilmfestivalseattle.org<http://www.childrensfilmfestivalseattle.org/>.

Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar) and Acoustic Ninja (BFA Documentary 2016 Rob Bevis) were selected for screening at the Oxford Film Festival in Oxford, Mississippi, February 16-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.oxfordarts.com.

Us Thereafter (BFA Documentary 2016 Terry Beck) and Built to Serve (BFA Thesis 2015 Terry Beck) were selected for screening at the WideScreen Film & Music Video Festival in Miami, February 17-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.widescreenfest.com.

Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) is a Semi-Finalist in the Hollywood Screenings Film Festival, March 11-12. For more information about this festival, go to http://hollywoodscreenings.weebly.com/.

The Extra Mile (BFA Documentary 2015 Courtney Ross) was selected for screening at the American Documentary Film Festival in Palm Springs, California, March 29 – April 3. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.americandocumentaryfilmfestival.com/.

Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) was invited to screen at the GardenCity Film Festival in Bangalore, India on April 2. For more information about this festival, go to http://gardencityff.blogspot.in/.

War Crimes (MFA D2 2016 Matthew Robinson) won the November competition and is a semi-finalist for Mindie, the Miami Independent Film Festival, April 3-5. For more information about this festival, go to miamindiefest.com.

Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar), Concessions (MFA D2 2016 Sam Bartz), Spin Cycle (MFA D2 2106 Janeen Talbot), Veiled (MFA D2 2106 Rika Darmesh Bhakta), War Crimes (MFA D2 2016 Matthew Robinson), Snapped (MFA D2 2106 Zarmala Gilani) and Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) are official selections of Mindie, the Miami Independent Film Festival, April 3-5. For more information about this festival, go to miamindiefest.com.

Concessions (MFA D2 2016 Sam Bartz) will be awarded a Certificate of Merit for Powerful Depiction of Emotions at the Rochester International Film Festival, April 20-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.rochesterfilmfest.org<http://www.rochesterfilmfest.org/>.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) and The Voice from the Page (MFA Thesis 2016 Andrea Branch) were selected for screening at the San Diego Black Film Festival, April 26-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.sdbff.com.

Once Upon a Blood Moon (MFA D1 2015 Rob Eaton) was selected for screening at the Wasaga Film Festival in Wasaga Beach, Ontario, Canada, April 1-29. For more information about this festival, go to https://wasagafilmfest.com/.

For Will (BFA Documentary 2016 Grayson Goga/Grace Stalley), The Goat on the Roof (BFA Documentary 2016 Erin Smyth), Bad Town (BFA Thesis 2016 Daniel Smith/Victor Ingles), Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) and Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Drina Andre) were chosen as Best of Brouhaha at the Brouhaha Film & Video Showcase in Orlando, November 19-20. They will be screening in the Best of Brouhaha sidebar at the Florida Film Festival in Orlando, April 21-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.floridafilmfestival.com.

Crazy Ones (MFA D1 2056 Jake Maturen) was selected for an upcoming screening of Silver Screen for Short Films in Saint Petersburg, Florida. For more information about this series, go to www.SilverScreenForShortFilms.com<http://www.silverscreenforshortfilms.com/>.

Still Life (BFA F1 2015 Gabriel Valbuena) was selected for competition in the Prince of Prestige Academy Awards in Winter Park, Florida on July 30. For more information about this festival, go to http://popfilmaward.com/.

--
Meryl Warren, Director of Alumni
College of Motion Picture Arts