[Film-bfad1] [Film-bfad] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 12.1.16

Warren, Meryl mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Dec 1 15:14:12 EST 2016

CONGRATULATIONS TO BARRY JENKINS (BFA 03) AND ALL THE MOONLIGHT cast and crew.  Moonlight, was the big winner at Monday night's 26th annual Gothams — it took best feature, best screenplay, a special ensemble piece and the audience award.  Read the Hollywood Reporter article at http://tinyurl.com/jhx9n5u
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced that 10 live action short films will advance in the voting process for the 89th Academy Awards.  One hundred thirty-seven pictures had originally qualified in the category.   Two of these films are from Film School alumni:  "Graffiti," Lluis Quilez, director (Participant Media, Euphoria Productions and Ainur Films), Executive Producer Jonathan King (MFA 92)  and "The Rifle, the Jackal, the Wolf and the Boy," Oualid Mouaness (MFA 97), director (Tricycle Logic)  Members of the Short Films and Feature Animation Branch viewed all the eligible entries for the preliminary round of voting. Short Films and Feature Animation Branch members will now select five nominees from among the 10 titles on the shortlist.  Branch screenings will be held in Los Angeles, London, New York and San Francisco in December.
And congratulations to Matt Lopez (BFA 93)  “Very excited to announce that my television series, “GONE," has been greenlit straight-to-series.  The show stars Chris Noth (The Good Wife, Sex and the City) and is a co-production of NBC Universal, RTL and TF1.  Cameras roll on season one (12 episodes) in early April.  And very excited that Jake Morgan (MFA 16) has joined the team as our writers’ room PA.  More details at: http://deadline.com/2016/11/gone-procedural-drama-chris-noth-stars-nbcu-international-studios-rtl-tf1-1201861823/
“Filmmakers Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead (BFA 08) gained fans in the horror community with their debut collaboration, 2012’s reality-bending addiction tale Resolution, and then many more with 2014’s Spring<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=668ZdEbXlPY>, a Lovecraftian love story which Guillermo del Toro hailed as “one of the best horror films of this decade.” Last August, it was announced that the pair were reteaming to both star in and co-direct a third feature, named The Endless, but little other information has been released about the project — until now.”  Read the Entertainment Weekly story at
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/30/endless-exclusive-first-look

NEW: Philanthropy at the Film School  Last week you should have received the letter from Frank asking you to make a donation & last night you might have gotten your first EVER phone call from an FSU student caller. An annual giving push for the Film School has been two years in the making and we are excited some of you are GIVING! When your phone rings, consider making a donation or mail back that gift form. Our students benefit from each gift, no matter the size. I wanted to say “Thank you” to everyone who is already participating in these efforts.
>From Praheme (MFA 10)  “I have exciting news to share. Burning Sands, an indie film that I was Locations Manager will be premiering a Sundance.
http://www.sundance.org/blogs/news/competition-and-next-films-announced-for-2017-festival  Guess I'm headed to Sundance lol!”

Congratulations to Ivo HuaHua (MFA 16) who’s thesis film Stutter, is winning a Jury Award, from the Directors Guild in the Latino category.
>From Heather Konkoli (BFA  97)  “This year I have had the pleasure of story editing/writing for the food travel series "Delicious Destinations." So far I have traveled to and experienced iconic foods from Cleveland (my home town), Michigan's Upper Peninsula, Prague, Beijing and Chengdu, China. My Cleveland episode premieres Tuesday Nov 29 on the Travel Channel at 9pm. Please tune in and make your mouths water over the incredible dishes this working-class town was founded on!”
Wanted to share this email we received this week:   Hi, my name is Ken Frank, and I am a writer and producer on a feature film called “The Mix” that is set to screen at the Tampa Bay Underground Film Festival next month.  We have been fortunate enough to receive nominations for four major awards at this festival: Best Feature Film, Best Feature Screenplay, Best Actor in a Lead Role, and Best Actress in a Supporting Role. Critical to the success of this film have been two alumni from the FSU MFA Class of 2013, Ben Fredman (our Director of Photography) and Morgan McNeal (our Assistant Director).  The skill sets and professionalism that these artists brought to our production greatly impressed us on set, and I believe their quality of work shows in the finished product in every frame.  Our film made its premiere at the Hollywood Reel Independent Film Festival in February.  We then went on to play in New York at the Chain Film Festival, where we won Best Comedy Feature and Best Actress.  We are very excited to play in Florida, and we wanted to reach out to your program to let you know about the fine work your graduates are doing.  If at all possible (I know it is a significant distance from Tallahassee to Tampa), we would welcome any FSU presence at our screening on December 2nd at 1pm.  Linked below is our listing with the festival, as well as our film’s official site.

Lee Payton (MFA 00) and the Gang Busters will be performing at the Toys for Tots Benefit Concert, along other acts, on Friday, December 16 from 6-11 PM at The Warehouse, 706 W. Gaines Street.   Admission = 1 new unwrapped toy for USMC Toys for Tots.
>From Jaye Davidson (MFA 10)  “I live with Arianna Church (BFA '14). We have an opening for a sublet from December 5 to January 21. Anyone interested in those dates should email me at jayesarahdavidson at gmail.com<mailto:jayesarahdavidson at gmail.com>. Rent is $475 plus utilities. Rent will be prorated to the days they stay at the house.

>From Travis Newton (MFA  08)  “We have an opening for an Assistant Professor of Broadcasting/Film to add to our growing film major at Western Kentucky University!  From the ad: "The nationally recognized School of Journalism & Broadcasting at Western Kentucky University is seeking a full-time, 9-month, tenure-eligible assistant professor with a terminal degree and experience in narrative film/video production. The ideal candidate will have experience in one or more of the following specializations: film directing, cinematography and/or producing as well as skill sets such as photography, video and audio editing and some design that will qualify the candidate to teach core curriculum courses.”  For more information and to apply, please use the link: https://wku.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=78933

The Nantucket Film Festival which is now in it 22nd year has opened it’s Showtime Tony Cox Screenplay Competition submissions for our 2017 festival.  Our festival is rich in history, with a focused mission to promote the cultural awareness and appreciation of the art of screenwriting in the world of cinema. It is a great and affordable festival for young screenwriters to submit their work to.   For more information you can visit our web site www.nantucketfilmfestival.org<http://www.nantucketfilmfestival.org/>.

Looking for an Executive Assistant, Receptionist & Office Manager for LA-based documentary/factual TV production company to assist an Emmy-winning Executive Producer and office staff. Job duties include reception, managing calendars, travel itineraries, office runs & upkeep, social media accounts and organizing staff events. Development work such as research sometimes expected. At least 1 year experience preferred, but also great opportunity for a recent film grad with passion for factual entertainment. Hiring for January 2017. Send resumes and cover letters to: docasst2017 at gmail.com<mailto:docasst2017 at gmail.com>

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – December 1, 2016

Stutter (MFA Thesis 2016 Ivo Huahua) will be winning a Jury Award in the Latino category from the Directors Guild of America Student Film Awards on December 15 in New York City. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.dga.org/Awards/Students.aspx

For Will (BFA Documentary 2016 Grayson Goga/Grace Stalley), The Goat on the Roof (BFA Documentary 2016 Erin Smyth), Bad Town (BFA Thesis 2016 Daniel Smith/Victor Ingles), Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) and Flora (MFA Thesis 2016 Drina Andre) were chosen as Best of Brouhaha at the Brouhaha Film & Video Showcase in Orlando, November 19-20. They will be screening in the Best of Brouhaha sidebar at the Florida Film Festival in Orlando, April 21-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.floridafilmfestival.com.

Each Coming Day (MFA Thesis 2016 Jennifer Silver/Sara Corkern) won Best Student Film at the Equus Film Festival in New York City, November 17-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.equusfilmfestival.net/.

Still Life (BFA F1 2015 Gabriel Valbuena) was selected for competition in the Prince of Prestige Academy Awards in Winter Park, Florida on July 30. For more information about this festival, go to http://popfilmaward.com/.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the Black Hollywood African American Marketplace and S.E. Manly Short Film Showcase in Los Angeles, January 13-15. For more information about this showcase, go to www.bherc.org.

Spin Cycle (MFA D2 2106 Janeen Talbot) was selected for screening at the Deltas of Charlotte Foundation Legacy of Black Women Film Showcase on January 13. For more information about this showcase, go to http://www.carolinatix.org/events/detail/14th-legacy-of-black-women-film-showcase.

Acoustic Ninja (BFA Documentary 2016 Rob Bevis) was selected for screening at the Oxford Film Festival in Oxford, Mississippi, February 16-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.oxfordarts.com.

The Goat on the Roof (BFA Documentary 2016 Erin Smyth) won an honorable mention in the College Competition at the Key West Film Festival, November 16-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.kwfilmfest.com.

Before You Know It (BFA F3 2016 Courtney Ross) was selected for screening at the Atlanta Independent Film Festival, January 5-28. For more information about this festival, go to atlindiefilmfest.com.

Cosmic Static (BFA F3 2016 Justin Sadler) was selected for screening at the Miami International Science Fiction Film Festival, January 13-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.miscifi.com.

Stutter (MFA Thesis 2016 Ivo Huahua) was selected for screening at the Family FEEDBACK Film Festival in Toronto on December 29. For more information about this festival, go to www.wildsound.ca<http://www.wildsound.ca/>.

War Crimes (MFA D2 2016 Matthew Robinson) won the November competition is a semi-finalist for Mindie, the Miami Independent Film Festival, April 3-5. For more information about this festival, go to miamindiefest.com.

Once Upon a Blood Moon (MFA D1 2015 Rob Eaton) is an official selection of the inaugural Bloodstained Indie Film Festival: Sci-Fi Horror Action in Long Beach, California on December 8. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.bloodstainedindiefilmfestival.com/.

Once Upon a Blood Moon (MFA D1 2015 Rob Eaton) was selected for screening at the Wasaga Film Festival in Wasaga Beach, Ontario, Canada, April 1-29. For more information about this festival, go to https://wasagafilmfest.com/.

Isa and the Frog Prince (MFA Thesis 2015 Yingxiang Huang) was selected for screening in the North American Chinese Directors Short Film Tour, October 1 – December 30. The tour will start in New York City, go to DC, Boston, LA and SF, then go to major Chinese cities. For more information about this touring festival, go to shortfilmtour.org.

Jeremy Donaldson is a finalist for the ASC Vilmos Zsigmond Heritage Award for his work as DP on Isa and the Frog Prince (MFA Thesis 2015 Yingxiang Huang). For more information about this competition, go to http://www.theasc.com/site/news/asc-announces-finalists-for-2016-student-heritage-awards/.

Stutter (MFA Thesis 2016 Ivo Huahua) was selected for screening at the Bluenose-Ability Film Festival in Halifax, Nova Scotia, December 1-3. For more information about this festival, go to www.reachability.org.

Skin Deep (BFA F3 2016 Lana McClung), About James (MFA D2 2015 Christopher Nold), Before You Know It (BFA F3 2016 Courtney Ross), Eve (BFA F3 2016 Jamie Blackband) and Emma Inspired (BFA Thesis 2015 Nicole Machon/Jamie Rice) were selected for screening at the Tampa Bay Underground Film Festival in Seminole, Florida, December 1-4. Emma Inspired is nominated for Best Student Film and Skin Deep was nominated for Best Sci-Fi or Fantasy Film For more information about this festival, go to http://tbuff.org<http://tbuff.org/>.

Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) is a finalist in the New York Film and TV Festival, December 3-4. For more information about this festival, go to https://nyfilmtv.com/.

Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) was invited to screen at the Bogota Short Film Festival (Bogo Shorts) in Bogota, Colombia, December 6-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.bogoshorts.com<http://www.bogoshorts.com/>.

Fathers and Daughters (MFA Thesis 2014 Mithra Alavi) was selected for screening at the Cinematic Arts Film Festival (Shorts and Micro Cinema) Los Angeles, December 9-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.cinematicartsfilmfest.com<http://www.cinematicartsfilmfest.com/>.

Calvin Young’s Finest Hour (MFA D2 2016 Nathan Westenhaver), Beta Test (BFA F3 2016 Gabe Souza) and The Brothers Chaps (BFA Documentary 2015 Austin Tyler/Lauren Chiota) were selected for screening at the Super Geek Film Festival in Miami, December 9-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.geekfilmfest.com.

Lola the Great (BFA Thesis 2015 Lydia Dullinger), Shark Attack (BFA Thesis 2016 Victoria Cragg/Grace Colley) and Hedge Hero (BFA Thesis 2016 Lauren Hammond) were selected for screening at the Los Angeles International Children’s Film Festival, December 10-12. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.lacma.org/event/childrens-film-festival-8.

Oh, Christmas Tree (MFA D1 2015 Charlie Malcolm) was selected for screening at Germany's first Weihnachtsfilmfestival (Christmas Film Festival) in Berlin, December 24-26. For more information about this festival, go to weihnachtsfilmfestival.de.

A Surprise (MFA D1 2015 Yi Tao) was selected for screening at the IndieWise Virtual Film Festival on January 2. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/getindiewise.

Blackface (MFA D2 2016 Malcolm Baity) is an Official Selection of the Hollywood Independent Film Festival Awards. The awards ceremony takes place on January 7. For more information about this competition, go to http://himpff.com<http://himpff.com/>.

Stutter (MFA Thesis 2016 Ivo Huahua) was selected for screening in January at the Festival for Family: Family Film & Writing Festival, an online festival. For more information about this festival, go to https://festivalforfamily.com/

Finless (BFA Documentary 2015 Gabe Souza) and Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) were selected for screening at the Flagler Film Festival in St. Augustine, Florida, January 13-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.flaglerfilmfestival.com.

A Surprise (MFA D1 2015 Yi Tao), Veiled (MFA D2 2016 Rika Bhakta), Marianne (MFA D2 2016 Yu Ying Chien) Concessions (MFA D2 2016 Sam Bartz) and Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) are official selections of Los Angeles CineFest, an online festival, January 14-15. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.lacinefest.org/.

Super Chef (MFA Thesis 2015 Rochelle Rose) was selected for screening at the Children’s Film Festival Seattle, January 26 – February 11. For more information about this festival, go to www.childrensfilmfestivalseattle.org<http://www.childrensfilmfestivalseattle.org/>.

Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar) was selected for screening at the Oxford Film Festival in Oxford, Mississippi, February 16-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.oxfordarts.com.

Frankenstein’s Light (MFA Thesis 2015 Saad Nawab) was invited to screen at the GardenCity Film Festival in Bangalore, India on April 2. For more information about this festival, go to http://gardencityff.blogspot.in/.

Friday the 14th (MFA D2 2016 Lucas Omar), Concessions (MFA D2 2016 Sam Bartz), Spin Cycle (MFA D2 2106 Janeen Talbot), Veiled (MFA D2 2106 Rika Darmesh Bhakta), War Crimes (MFA D2 2016 Matthew Robinson), Snapped (MFA D2 2106 Zarmal Gilani) and Reunion (MFA D2 2016 Yi Tao) are official selections of Mindie, the Miami Independent Film Festival, April 3-5. For more information about this festival, go to miamindiefest.com.

Concessions (MFA D2 2016 Sam Bartz) will be awarded a Certificate of Merit for Powerful Depiction of Emotions at the Rochester International Film Festival, April 20-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.rochesterfilmfest.org<http://www.rochesterfilmfest.org/>.

Crazy Ones (MFA D1 2056 Jake Maturen) was selected for an upcoming screening of Silver Screen for Short Films in Saint Petersburg, Florida. For more information about this series, go to www.SilverScreenForShortFilms.com<http://www.silverscreenforshortfilms.com/>.

--
Meryl Warren, Director of Alumni
College of Motion Picture Arts