[Film-bfad1] [Film-BFA1] [Warren Report] Warren Report 6.25.15

Warren, Meryl mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Jun 25 13:26:07 EDT 2015

The Warren Report comes to you today from Hollywood!  We are here for our Advisory Council’s Film Forum 3, a sold out event featuring an interview with Seth Rogan and his writing partner, Evan Goldberg.  Hope to see many of you tonight!

>From Meghan Robertson (BFA 03)  “After two trial episodes, I've been hired as a full time editor on The Fosters for ABC Family next season! After 11 years of hard work, I've got my dream job!”

>From Faren Humes (MFA 11)  “I'm shooting a film in August. MACHO follows the tenuous bond between an effeminate twelve-year-old and his conservative uncle after the tragic killing of his transgender parent in the small, rural town of Sanderson, Fl. The film is an exploration of black masculinity, identity and Southern life.    Our crew is loaded with FSU alumni: Brian Diggs (MFA '11)  and Jim Ed Wills (MFA '11 and  Kelly Poor (MFA '12). We're about a week into our Kickstarter campaign: http://kck.st/1IkMVEC  There's a great video on the campaign page that shows footage of Sanderson. You can really get a sense of the community and what we're trying to do.  If you like the project, and are able, please consider supporting the film.”

>From Clara Maria Diaz (BFA 14)  “After having passed out water and sunscreen, building tents, transporting equipment, wrangling crowds, all under the burning sun in the middle of the Chilean desert, I am so happy this movie is finally coming out this year! I'm so proud to have been able to work on this film, and I will always cherish that moment Antonio Banderas put his hand my shoulder to ask me to move out of his way.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7PX3E9M-1w
The Council for Advancement and Support of Education has named Florida State University a bronze award winner of its 2015 Circle of Excellence awards program. Florida State was recognized for its video featuring Raise the Torch, the University’s comprehensive campaign with a goal of $1 billion.  A panel of experts selected Florida State from among 27 entries in the long video category.  Earlier this year, the Raise the Torch video, along with its production team FRAME, (Patrick Gines (BFA 10)  won a gold ADDY award in the American Advertising Federation’s local American Advertising Awards.  To view the award-winning video, and to learn how you can Raise the Torch for Florida State, visit www.raisethetorch.fsu.edu<http://raisethetorch.fsu.edu/>. “

>From Eric Jaffe (BFA 13)  “Omaze.com<http://omaze.com/> is seeking an all-star paid video production intern who’s looking to get in on the ground floor of a company with an absurdly audacious vision for changing the world. You will assist in creating world-class online video at every step of the process from research and creative brainstorms to shoots and post-production. Ideal candidate has experience with digital video cameras and post-production software such as Adobe Premiere or Final Cut and After Effects and have a great on-set demeanor.  You are patient yet motivated; you’re inspired by challenging tasks yet possess the ability to attack simple ones with precision and diligence. Able to work in our Culver City office 5 days a week.  To apply:Tell us a little bit about yourself, why you would be an ideal fit. Include your dream Omaze experience and which cause it would benefit. Also include links to short films, music videos or other content you’ve produced with a short description of your contribution.  Send applications to eric at omaze.com<mailto:eric at omaze.com>.”
The Look Up Film Challenge is a film competition that will challenge emerging filmmakers from across the country to create a 3-5 minute film in 16 days based on a secret prompt. Judged by a panel of AIA members and media professionals, filmmakers will compete for cash prizes, experiential awards and the potential for national distribution as part of the Look Up campaign.  The “Look Up” Film challenge launched last Thursday and it is accepting registrations until July 15, 2015.  For more information, visit http://ilookup.org/filmchallenge. If you have any questions please feel free to reach out.

Tribeca Film Institute, Camden Film Fest partner for doc retreat  Read more: http://realscreen.com/2015/06/22/tribeca-film-institute-camden-film-fest-partner-for-doc-retreat/#ixzz3dsyfZ3eH

For the first time, a German Broadcaster is leading a search for new international co-productions by inviting proposals for the development of scripted series from across the global market. Writers, showrunners and production companies are invited to present early stage concepts for fresh and compelling TV series with a broad and entertaining, cinematic appeal. The proposed shows should transcend national traits and boundaries and appeal to varied international audiences through exciting settings, fascinating characters, riveting storylines and universal themes.  In particular, ProSiebenSat.1 is scouting for episodic, returning prime time series (including procedurals such as crime, medical, romantic comedies, etc.). Early stage concepts for exceptional serialised "must-see-TV" mini-series and series introducing a significant German angle are also welcome. All entries should present strong potential for an international market and co-production.  After a comprehensive evaluation process led by ProSiebenSat.1’s International Co-Production department, the company plans to invest in the development of up to fifteen projects no later than the end of 2015. Parallel to the creative development process, ProSiebenSat.1 will also offer its support in finding the best international partners for the production of the selected projects.The submission period starts on June 01, 12:00 CEST and ends on August 3, 23:59 CEST. Go to www.prosiebensat1.com/international<http://www.prosiebensat1.com/international> to get all necessary information.”

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – June 25, 2015

Hop Skotch the Funk Dumpling (MFA Thesis 2014 Khadif Sanders) was selected for screening at the Real to Reel Film Festival in Kings Mountain, North Carolina, July 22-25. For more information about this festival, go to www.realtoreelfest.com.

Only For Forever (MFA Thesis 2014 Nia Imani) was selected for screening at the North Carolina Gay and Lesbian Film Festival in Durham, North Carolina, August 14-22. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.carolinatheatre.org/films/festivals/ncglff.

Hop Skotch the Funk Dumpling (MFA Thesis 2014 Khadif Sanders) was selected for screening at the Capital City Black Film Festival in Austin, August 13-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.capcitybff.com<http://www.capcitybff.com/>.

La Voz de Cuba (BFA FD3 2014 Jamie Klein) was selected for screening at the John Paul II Inter-Faith Film Festival in Miami, October 8-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.jp2filmfestival.com.

Whatever We Want To Be (MFA Thesis 2014 Stephanie Williams) was selected for screening at the Frameline Festival in San Francisco, June 18-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.frameline.org<http://www.frameline.org/>.

Birthday Box (MFA D2 2014 Ashlea Patterson) was invited to screen at the Greater August Town Film Festival (GATFFEST) in Kingston and Mobay, Jamaica, June 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.uwicommunityfilmproject.com/GATFFEST.html.

A Plush Life (MFA Thesis 2013 Bryn Hubbard) was selected for screening at the Lionshead Film Festival in Dallas, June 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.lionsheadfilmfestival.com<http://www.lionsheadfilmfestival.com/>.

LUNCHSAQ (BFA Thesis 2014 Aubrey Danielson) was selected for screening at the Real to Reel Film Festival in Kings Mountain, North Carolina, July 22-25. For more information about this festival, go to www.realtoreelfest.com.

A Skeleton Named Oliver (BFA Thesis 2014 Clara Diez) was selected for screening at the SoCal Creative & Innovative Film Festival in Pasadena, July 23-26. For more information, go to www.socalciff.com<http://www.socalciff.com/>.

Test Takers (MFA D2 2014 Paul Tackett) was selected for screening at the Gen Con Indy Film Festival in Indianapolis, July 30 - August 2. For more information about this festival, go to www.gencom.com<http://www.gencom.com/>.

Only For Forever (MFA Thesis 2014 Nia Imani) was selected for screening at the BlackStar Film Festival in Philadelphia, July 30 – August 7. For information about this festival, go to http://blackstarfest.org/.

Dorian (BFA Thesis 2014 Jon Sams/Margie Cooper), Southern Roots (BFA Thesis 2014 Betsy Serral), Birthday Box (MFA D2 2014 Ashlea Patterson), Until Death (MFA D2 2014 Erica Chan), Ruby Woo (MFA Thesis 2014 Kendall McCrory), Fathers & Daughters (MFA Thesis 2014 Mithra Alavi), Byroad (BFA Thesis 2014 Raymond Calderon), Harmony Brooks and the Case of the Missing Nucleus (MFA D2 2014 Whitney Clinkscales) and Dante (MFA Thesis 2014 Katie Harbin) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival (CENFLO) in Orlando, September 4-6. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com.

Only For Forever (MFA Thesis 2014 Nia Imani) was invited to screen at the Proud! Film Festival in Copenhagen, Denmark, October 3-10. For more information about this festival, go to proud.dk.

Forgotten Rabbit (BFA Documentary 2013 Clara Diez) was invited to screen at three festivals in the state of Washington: Seattle Crypticon Horror Convention on May 23, Sasquan International Film Festival in Spokane, August 17-20, and at Tri-Cities International Fantastic Film Festival in Richland, October 16-18. For more information about these festivals go to www.tcif3.com<http://www.tcif3.com/>.

The Fantastic Death of Barry Schmidt (BFA Thesis 2015 Zach Hardy/Kyla Trull) was selected for screening at Sasquan International Film Festival in Spokane, August 17-20. For more information about this festival, go to http://sasquan.org/international-film-festival/.

--
Meryl Warren, Director of Alumni
College of Motion Picture Arts