[FCLCA] Hiring Academic Support Team Members

Cooke,Winifred B wcooke at ufl.edu
Tue Oct 24 13:55:25 EDT 2017

Greetings Ronald,

Several years ago, a student who was Oral deaf volunteered to tutor chemistry in our center so that he could practice speaking.  I had to listen closely to understand him myself, and students had to look directly at him when they spoke to him because he had to read their lips.  I decided to assign him a few hours of "drop-in" tutoring but wondered if students would visit the center during his shift.  Much to our pleasure, we soon placed him on our payroll and he bloomed into one of our most sought out tutors.  After graduation he was hired by a large chemical company; however, he chose to return to college the next year and changed majors.  While he was great at research, he wanted more social interaction.

Regards,
Winnie

Winifred B. Cooke, Ph.D.
Teaching Center Director