[FCLCA] Hiring Academic Support Team Members

Ronald Johnson rjohnson at fau.edu
Tue Oct 24 13:12:19 EDT 2017

Hello Learning Center Professionals!

I hope you are having amazing synergy in your academic support centers this fall!  As we are in the midst of hiring for spring 2018, there was an inquiry that came about and we are interested in your thoughts.

A student recently completed an application for a position on our spring 2018 academic support team.  After the application closed, a phone called was received through a phone relay system (for the hearing impaired).  The student stated that they applied for a position and would need an interpreter for the interview portion of the process.  The interpreter will be hired for the interview, but we were interested in knowing your experiences.

In working with very diverse populations, have any of you hired a student that is hearing impaired as an academic support team member?  If so, how did you structure the tutoring sessions (small group, one-on-one, etc.)?  How were the interactions with student(s) to tutor/interpreter?

Thank you for your time/attention and I look forward to your responses.

Ronald Romances Johnson
Associate Director, Center for Learning And Student Success (CLASS)
Director, Academic Support Services

Florida Atlantic University
777 Glades Road, GS(2), Room 223
Boca Raton, FL  33431
Phone 561.297.0945

[cid:FA4D5F25-0759-458F-85B2-133F015015EF]